Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:01:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: WAR to be released... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WAR to be released...  (Read 417544 times)
UnSub
Contributor

on: July 10, 2008, 10:40:50 PM

... by Mythic Entertainment.

Part 2 of the interview is meant to have some exclusive announcements. Depending on what they are, I may look like a greater or lesser dick for choosing the subject title.

schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 10:47:59 PM

I get it. But I really, really don't get it.
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 10:49:57 PM

Funny, just read this article an hour ago : http://gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19325

And damn you, I thought we had a release date.

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 01:09:26 AM

So is this genuinely "We're reclaiming our old name" or is it EA prepping Mythic for a sell-off?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 02:10:32 AM

Slinking away to hide behind a bush just in case war tanks, ready to pop out again with a 'ta-da!' if it does well?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 02:33:55 AM

So is this genuinely "We're reclaiming our old name" or is it EA prepping Mythic for a sell-off?
I can't read the article but with the Activision/Blizzard merger having been finalized it's highly unlikely EA would be looking to sell-off assets ATM.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 05:19:20 AM

Warhammer Alliance has a couple of posts from Mythic devs in their newsthread.  We've been assured by MBJ that one of the annoucements is NOT a release pushback.  Another thread at MMORPG.com seems to indicate that release date won't be one of the 3 things either. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 07:01:37 AM

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/239/feature/2041

1.  Punkbuster!

2.  Four capital cities to be patched in post-launch!

3.  Four classes cut!

4.  Mythic employees are going to kidnap your rl pets!

The last one is fake...for now  awesome, for real

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 07:08:48 AM

Well, that explains the "Mythic Entertainment" part - EA has set a deadline for launch which means two-thirds of the cities and one-sixth of the classes have to be cut (stick) and let Mythic change their name back to avoid total humiliation (carrot).

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 07:18:54 AM

WTB c&P of details for those who get "SURF CONTROL - ACCESS DENIED"

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 07:20:35 AM

Drama!

"Me am play gods"
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 07:23:35 AM

And the cycle begins anew.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 07:25:09 AM

You don't need a cut and paste of the PB announcement. It's PunkBuster. It'll run processes when it doesn't need to and do a half assed job at preventing hacking. WHEE! DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Originally, the plan for Warhammer Online was for each of the races in the game (Greenskin, Chaos, Dark Elf, High Elf, Empire and Dwarf) to come fully equipped with a “living, breathing Capital City”. These cities not only serve in the game as quest and social hubs, but also play a pivotal role in the game’s Realm vs. Realm design. As the war rages on, the game’s capital cities will gain and lose in rank, opening and closing new content, dungeons (yup, right in the city) and the like.

MMORPG.com has learned that a decision has been made to reduce the number of Capital Cities at launch from six down to two. Altdorf (Empire) and Inevitable City (Chaos) will stand at launch as the Capitals not only of their race, but of their faction as well.

The last subject that we tackled in our interview was the announcement that was neither a pure positive for the players nor a sort of mix of good and bad news:

“This isn’t something that I can say that it is really a good thing for the player,” he began. “We’re cutting out some classes. I can say that we are doing this for quality, absolutely. Unfortunately, what I can’t say, and I won’t because I’ve never lied to the player base and while this would be a great place to start, I’m not going to.”
 advertisement

“Four of the classes that we’ve been working on, we just couldn’t get great,” he continued. “We looked at them and we said these careers are just not great… and we tried, and they weren’t coming out well.”

This left them with a decision similar to the one that they were left with for the cities, do they continue and try to get it, or do they shelve them? In the end, after looking at the metric data that they have been collecting throughout the beta process, they saw that there were four careers that just weren’t working for the players.

“We tried,” Jacobs said, “we tried to see if we could make them better and we just couldn’t make them great. So we had a choice. Do we put in some non-great careers just because they are iconic, or we cut them out and put them in post-launch if we can get them right, or do we not put them in at all?”

In the end, whether it’s the second or the third option is still unknown.

The four careers that are going may surprise players (and even includes one of Marks personal favorites). The list is as follows:

Choppa (Greenskin)
Hammerer (Dwarf)
Blackguard (Dark Elf)
Knight of the Blazing Sun (Empire)
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 07:33:28 AM

Good, they have way too many classes. The game doesn't really need six separate lightly armored melee DPS classes with six sets of slightly different mechanics.

Focus, cut, polish. Repeat.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 07:36:11 AM

Good, they have way too many classes. The game doesn't really need six separate lightly armored melee DPS classes with six sets of slightly different mechanics.

I don't have a problem with the class cut.  Things are always in flux before release on that front-- I believe AoC combined a couple classes (Lich, Druid of the Storm, etc) and WoW added Hunter a couple of months before launch.

What I AM worried about is the capital city cuts.  That entails quite a dramatic shift in RvR mechanics- a follow-up post on WHA indicates that you'll have to capture two of three campaigns to get to Altdorf/IC now. 

My prediction?  The capital cities NEVER make it in, because Mythic has discovered that routing attention three ways is bad.

cevik
I'm Special

Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 07:39:26 AM

My prediction?  The capital cities NEVER make it in, because Mythic has discovered that routing attention three ways is bad.

If only I could bring myself to believe it's a gameplay decision and not a release scheduling problem.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 07:43:53 AM by cevik »

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
WayAbvPar

Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 07:47:15 AM

I would much rather wait another six months for release and have everything make the final cut. Scrapping things this far along makes it sound like they are hurrying, which doesn't bode well. Of course, I am not the one on the hook for the development costs either.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 07:48:07 AM

Oh it's clearly a scheduling decision but it's one that I feel will help the game as a whole. Players need focused content-- trying to deliver three separate RvR endgames at release was foolish. Looking beyond simply developing quality content, what if you can't generate a critical mass of players at each site?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 07:49:42 AM

These are very good cuts in my opinion.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 07:50:11 AM

Oh it's clearly a scheduling decision but it's one that I feel will help the game as a whole. Players need focused content-- trying to deliver three separate RvR endgames at release was foolish. Looking beyond simply developing quality content, what if you can't generate a critical mass of players at each site?

I wish I could agree with this, but the flavor in the Kool-aid is starting to seem a bit more like poison and a bit less like comety deliverance.  

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008, 07:51:53 AM

I always thought content dilution was DAoC's most profound failure too, and that was only 3 factions. Only 3 melee dps classes. WAR had six. Too much duplication of effort. Too many classes to balance. Too many factions to balance in both PvP and PvE, the most difficult challenge of all. Too much time spent on separate newbie zones, not enough on the elder game. Too many empty capital cities. Too many playthroughs required to experience the content. Too much dilution of content. Just too much.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 07:55:15 AM by sam, an eggplant »
Rondaror
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 07:54:40 AM

It's difficult to create melee classes, that have unique tank/dps mechanics. So I don't really bother about the missing classes...20 instead of 24 is good enough.

4 out of 6 capital cities delayed is a manpower problem, which indicated that they do not have enough ressources to get them in before launch and it might be a sign that they are not going to delay the launch again. Which could mean that, besides the missing cities, there is missing content in general at launch.
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008, 07:57:28 AM

I can't imagine WoW being where it is today with only two release cities.  The amount of content and variety of content removed by scrapping 2/3's of the original cities has got to hurt.  Quality of content probably can't make up for it.

At least, the general gist of the AoC threads were that players need *more* content, not necessarily less content with more quality.  Though more content with more quality is good, of course, if you can afford it.

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: July 11, 2008, 07:59:34 AM

So I don't really bother about the missing classes...20 instead of 24 is good enough.
Twenty is way too many, once you factor in specialization via WAR's version of talents. If I were developing WAR, I would have a single archetype for each class and give each faction's version different customization options. For example, all six factions would have a lightly armored DPS class, and all six classes would have different names, but share all base abilities and two out of three talent trees, cutting my work down a thousandfold.

Edit: Really? You think WOW would be substantially hurt if they had never positioned Darnassus, Thunder Bluff, Ironforge, and Undercity as major cities and had instead used them as leveling hubs like crossroads and theramore? Not that it's a valid comparison, really, since WAR's capital cities are the endgame.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 08:03:43 AM by sam, an eggplant »
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 08:05:04 AM

Looks like EA(ok i dont pay attention) is pushing hard to release pre-WOTLK, this of course is going to be their biggest mistake.  I mean even is you only see in dollar signs, can't companies see that the policy of rushing things out the door doesn't make nearly as much as finished product? Has their been any game in any genre pc/console etc that was rushed and still made a ton of money?

edit for retarditude
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 08:38:25 AM by Lakov_Sanite »

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #25 on: July 11, 2008, 08:10:17 AM

Looks like activision is pushing hard to release pre-WOTLK, this of course is going to be their biggest mistake.  I mean even is you only see in dollar signs, can't companies see that the policy of rushing things out the door doesn't make nearly as much as finished product? Has their been any game in any genre pc/console etc that was rushed and still made a ton of money?

Activision? You mean EA yes?

And yes there's been lots of rushed games that made money. There's been very few rushed games that were good, but make money? Yeah. 5/10 EA Sports games were rushed so they could be ready for the season (ie. NHL 2006) and sucked ass. But they sold lots.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 08:11:59 AM by squirrel »

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #26 on: July 11, 2008, 08:12:45 AM

Edit: Really? You think WOW would be substantially hurt if they had never positioned Darnassus, Thunder Bluff, Ironforge, and Undercity as major cities and had instead used them as leveling hubs like crossroads and theramore? Not that it's a valid comparison, really, since WAR's capital cities are the endgame.

Yes, I think without those cities the game wouldn't have nearly felt as full of content at the begining.  If everyone had been funneled to Org or SW after their newbie zone experiences it wouldn't have lead to the variety of content that WoW has.  As it was you could take so many different leveling paths to around level 30 (as we discussed in the other thread) that it felt like the game was absolutely full of content.

We'll just have to see if these "leveling hubs" that the cities will supposedly become feel like enough content for the game to feel real and full enough without those cities.  I suspect that this will make the game feel much less solid, probably more polished than having 6 crappy cities, but no where near as solid and polished as having 6 good cities, i.e. I do not think this decision bodes well for the game.

EDIT:  I suspect if they can't polish the cities they can't polish the leveling hubs, and what will happen is that everyone will funnel into the two capital cities at a much lower level, thus less repeatable content, thus less longevity to the experience.  WoW had longevity because it had so much repeatable content at the lower levels.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 08:14:36 AM by cevik »

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: July 11, 2008, 08:17:51 AM

Well, that's the first expansion sorted out then.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #28 on: July 11, 2008, 08:22:04 AM

Well, that's the first expansion sorted out then.

Basically, assuming no great problems with the launch that sees that work invalidated.

It's smart to make the cuts. To some extent, it would have been better to never comment on these things at all than cut them now, but that ship has sailed.

Someone could make an argument that AoC has prompted WAR to make sure the game it launches is solid if smaller in scope than having lots promised then under-delivering.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #29 on: July 11, 2008, 08:31:37 AM

There's still too many classes.  Way too many, and I still expect some sort of DAoC "this class sucks so much worse than it's opposite faction class" imabalance.  I mean ACTUAL problems, not the usual based-on-only-the-user's-imagination crap.

The removal of the capitals could be a good or a bad thing.  If there's enough content for the PvE portion, it's NBD.  The PvP is the endgame, and funneling more folks into fewer areas can only be a good thing for pvp.   Barring huge population imbalances, but then that's a major flaw of the design anyway.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #30 on: July 11, 2008, 08:46:28 AM

If only I could bring myself to believe it's a gameplay decision and not a release scheduling problem.
They say the cities get cut to two at launch, so yeah that seems to be just problem with getting things done between scheduled launch date, and from the wording i'd guess they still intend to add full set later. On the other hand cutting the classes they couldn't make to work well enough sounds like sensible decision given how many they have.... a mix of bad and good, indeed.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: July 11, 2008, 08:57:00 AM

Wow, the choppa went from being OP to cut. That's quite a change.

That's the unfortunate victim of this. The one fun melee DPS class getting axed because they couldn't figure out how to make the others worthwhile. Hammerer especially. Oh well.

edit: Wasn't there a wall of text when EA absorbed them about how this was a good move because they didn't have to launch unfinished games due to lack of money? A lot of good that did.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 08:59:08 AM by Nija »
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: July 11, 2008, 09:07:06 AM

You would think that after enough failed MMO's are rushed out the door at least one company would learn from the industry leader and not try to rush out unfinished crap.

Any sensibly business-oriented person should understand the costs and rewards of competing in the MMORPG arena, and they should understand that the surest way to kill the long term profitability of a game is to rush it out the door unfinshed. 

Eh, I still pre-ordered.  I will remain cautiously optimistic.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: July 11, 2008, 09:15:05 AM

Eh, I still pre-ordered.  I will remain a walking wallet.
And you wonder why the publishers never learn.

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: July 11, 2008, 09:24:30 AM

Well crap, Choppa was the one class I was really looking forward to trying out.

I honestly didn't realize that there was 24 different ones though, which definitely is too damn many.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: WAR to be released...  
Jump to: