Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:57:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: expletive deleted superfail expletive deleted 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: expletive deleted superfail expletive deleted  (Read 239742 times)
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #280 on: November 07, 2007, 10:16:47 AM

Funny how perception works.  In ANY MMO the chat is optional.  It's in a window that can easily be closed and you can leave any channel anytime you want.

But, because HG:L defaults to the chat window being closed rather than open the more myopic people complain that there is no chat.

I think its more of the fact that the chat window is OMG MY EYES, THE SCREEN, I CANT SEE ANYTHING!!!! MOVE THE DAMN WINDOW!!!!!.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #281 on: November 07, 2007, 10:26:26 AM

Soooo... the patch this morning fixed the problem people were having with too many Guy Fawkes blueprints.  In my 15 minute or so session a little bit ago, I picked up 5 toffee apple blueprints and 2 cider blueprints.  They could solve this by making them stack and being able to split stacks.  Oh... and making sure you can gather enough components to even make the crap.  There are still things I can't make because there are some components I've never found at all. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #282 on: November 07, 2007, 10:27:21 AM

the patch this morning fixed the problem people were having with too many Guy Fawkes blueprints.  In my 15 minute or so session a little bit ago, I picked up 5 toffee apple blueprints and 2 cider blueprints.

Those two sentences conflict with eachother. >_>
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #283 on: November 07, 2007, 10:35:17 AM

I know.  I guess you didn't see what I did there.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #284 on: November 07, 2007, 10:44:44 AM

I didn't see what you did there. huh I keep looking for the word 'only.'
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #285 on: November 07, 2007, 10:55:43 AM

I did find it funny that I've found more copies of each GF Blueprint than I have of each ingredient. Found my first treacle last night, for example. Oh, and I still haven't found a damn Zombie Ticker.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #286 on: November 07, 2007, 11:11:48 AM

I did find it funny that I've found more copies of each GF Blueprint than I have of each ingredient. Found my first treacle last night, for example. Oh, and I still haven't found a damn Zombie Ticker.

This was the opposite of my experience. I have enough zombie parts to assemble an army of the damned, but never found a single blueprint. That in conjunction with my British Museum portal being bugged and there not being shared storage for all characters makes me regret buying the game.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: November 07, 2007, 01:07:58 PM

Where the heck do i get the flamey arms anyways

I am the .00000001428%
schild
Administrator

Reply #288 on: November 07, 2007, 01:15:41 PM

Where the heck do i get the flamey arms anyways

Random drop. Level 15 item. Drops anywhere though.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: November 07, 2007, 01:34:26 PM

I have an extra pair of them, you only have to get to elite mode to get them...

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: November 07, 2007, 02:23:00 PM

The game crashed before I could enter the portal to speak to the brothers on Act 4 after beating Bloodblade.  I can no longer proceed unless I abandon the quest. Any BASIC QA check of this would have caught this.  Shit, I can't believe it forces you to log out when you abandon a story quest.

Fuck this game.  Seriously, fuck this game.  The number of critical issues, including inability to proceed from bugs, crashes, poor design choices (all over the god damn place)... this game is an embarrassment.  That they would try to spin the things they did as positive is all they can do to put a big smile on a big piece of dog shit.

This game needed at least another 6 months of hard development to become something resembling a mediocre title, and even then, they'd be trying to polish stuff that doesn't work as well as it should.  Hellgate is a broken, poorly implemented, even poorly designed game that is trying to cash in on a game design that's almost a decade old and accomplished its goals far better than Hellgate.  I don't want to even go into how they seemed more concerned about how they were making their money back (Ads, post-release content, subscriptions) instead of focusing on releasing a solid game first.

The ONLY thing this game has going for it is the ding gratz of equipment, which I still find appealing, but there are too many games going out in the next month that are far worthier of attention than this, and with about 1% of the game-breaking bugs if they live up to their hype.

That they are ex-Blizzard guys is not going to help them in the future after this atrocity of game design and implementation.
To repeat what I said previously: These are the ex-Blizzard guys who left because they feared that Vivendi would destroy the Blizzard Culture (tm) via such methods as forcing Blizz to release games before they were ready.

awesome, for real

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: November 07, 2007, 02:26:27 PM

To repeat what I said previously: These are the ex-Blizzard guys who left because they feared that Vivendi would destroy the Blizzard Culture (tm) via such methods as forcing Blizz to release games before they were ready.

awesome, for real

Hah, is that true? If so, very funny.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: November 07, 2007, 02:35:20 PM

Yeah I want to see the source of that statement.  I don't disbelieve you, I just want to see it for myself so I can say "Yeah I read" instead of "Yeah some guy said".

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #293 on: November 07, 2007, 02:46:15 PM

I duno, since they're charging no sub; I suppose there's no harm in early buying. For those who got suckered into pre-ordered and lifetime sub...Uh, more power to you?
I sincerely wanted to team play with friends but after going through the same tilesets in around 3 hours of gameplay, I decided my eyes are just too bored to do repeated Meph runs on First person perspective. I'm giving it a miss till an 'awesome update' happens.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: November 07, 2007, 02:55:25 PM

One of the Google results doesn't exactly spell it out, but if you read between the lines - especially the parts about why they quit Blizzard North and what they're looking for in a publisher - it's a pretty big hint: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/interviews/19767/Flagship-Studios-Interview

I'm fairly sure that there was an even more obvious interview done with Bill Roper, but I can't find it on a casual Google.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: November 08, 2007, 10:50:47 AM

European server is lagging so much right now it's unplayable. It's like a good 2-3 seconds delay. That shit is ridiculous.

edit:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 11:13:56 AM by Wolf »

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: November 08, 2007, 12:28:34 PM

One of the Google results doesn't exactly spell it out, but if you read between the lines - especially the parts about why they quit Blizzard North and what they're looking for in a publisher - it's a pretty big hint: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/interviews/19767/Flagship-Studios-Interview

I'm fairly sure that there was an even more obvious interview done with Bill Roper, but I can't find it on a casual Google.

That interview is good to point and laugh at.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #297 on: November 08, 2007, 01:51:31 PM

HHEEEWWWW, THAT'S A LOTTA MILLISECONDS!

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #298 on: November 08, 2007, 03:04:24 PM

Voodoo Extreme - Which publishers are you most interested in working with?

Bill Roper - We are interested in working with a publisher that shares our dedication to putting out a great game and willingness to devote the time and resources required to do so. We also want to find a publishing partner who has a strong commitment to the gaming community since the players are the real reason we're all here. The upside is that there is a renewed focus amongst publishers to put out top quality games, so we have found our goals aligning with the vast majority of people we have talked with.

I was going to bold part of that reply, but then I realized I would have to bold all of it. So I didnt do any.

awesome, for real
Register
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: November 08, 2007, 04:04:54 PM

The SEA launch by IAH is a greater disaster.

The FFS partner IAH launched the game without patch 0 being applied - players paid to play beta Hellgate and it was only 1-2 days ago when the level cap at 22 was removed.

With the removal of the level cap, the 2nd half of the bank and character slots 4th and onwards was frozen together pending subscription - but the subscription plan for SEA have not been finalised yet, and will not be until possibly dec. Players with their main character on the 4th slot or later are forced to play characters on slot 1-3 until the subscription mess get straightened at an uncertain time in the future.

Best of all, all this transpired with almost zero communication from IAH - their community manager is a ghost, and players have to dig up the contact of IAH management and lodge a direct complain there to even get a official note on why the level cap is still in place so long after launch.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 04:08:23 PM by Register »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #300 on: November 08, 2007, 05:27:55 PM

Is that version language(s) localized or still just in English?
Register
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: November 08, 2007, 05:49:18 PM

Is that version language(s) localized or still just in English?

It's in English.... the game, the forums and the users...
Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: November 08, 2007, 06:23:44 PM

Maybe after this fiasco they'll have a greater respect for Vivendi and all that. Releasing "when it's done" is all fine and good until you actually have to do at the sacrifice of cash flow. This is where fantasy and reality finally meet and have a sexy orgy where only one can live.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #303 on: November 08, 2007, 06:40:48 PM

WoW was released early too (e.g. the Hunter talents were added at the last minute) -- just not as early as some other games.
Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: November 08, 2007, 07:52:53 PM

That was part of my point. Even WoW with the massive cash it had from Vivendi had to release without being 100% complete. It was more complete than pretty much anything else out there, but it was definitely not 100% solid.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #305 on: November 08, 2007, 08:11:55 PM

Maybe after this fiasco they'll have a greater respect for Vivendi and all that. Releasing "when it's done" is all fine and good until you actually have to do at the sacrifice of cash flow. This is where fantasy and reality finally meet and have a sexy orgy where only one can live.

I keep looking at the MMO genre in 2007 and thinking, "Didn't all these lessons get learned in 2004, at least?". CoH and WoW had great launches overall and stable products. Three years later and the MMO genre (to which HG:L has attached itself like a tapeworm) is back to bugged, unstable and massively flawed launches.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: November 08, 2007, 08:30:37 PM

ugh.  So a friend and I spent 2+ hours killing through the last two areas of the game.  We kill the 5th lie, get the cinematic and Sydonai doesn't spawn T_T.
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: November 08, 2007, 08:39:23 PM

Failed saving throw versus breath mint.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: November 08, 2007, 09:50:57 PM

It's getting buried in reviews. "Diablo II but worse" isn't cutting it.

Developers talking a lot about future plans is always a huge red flag, one of the biggest red flags there is.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: November 08, 2007, 10:06:58 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #310 on: November 08, 2007, 10:57:26 PM

Developers talking a lot about future plans is always a huge red flag, one of the biggest red flags there is.

That's all developers do, including the greats - Spector, Jaffe, Barlog, Miyamoto, etc.

Yea, it's a huge red flag. But some deliver, some don't. Unfortunately it's a red flag that's _always_ up. Particularly with online games.
schild
Administrator

Reply #311 on: November 08, 2007, 10:58:53 PM

Three years later and the MMO genre (to which HG:L has attached itself like a tapeworm) is back to bugged, unstable and massively flawed launches.

Yep. Completely, except Hellgate got the one thing right all those previously launched stable games didn't - fun.

I think that's the reason we have a bunch of people here with lifetime subscriptions. The core game doesn't suck. They trimmings all need work. Whereas with all those stable MMOGs, the core game sucks balls and the trimmings are awesome.

I'll take the former, thx.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: November 08, 2007, 11:08:44 PM

That's all developers do, including the greats - Spector, Jaffe, Barlog, Miyamoto, etc.

Yea, it's a huge red flag. But some deliver, some don't. Unfortunately it's a red flag that's _always_ up. Particularly with online games.

No, not really. People musing about potential future projects and next steps is very different from a company that has already mentally planned out 3 expansions and 2 revenue model changes.

That's one of the first things you see if you visit amateur game sites - some clown has a MMORPG planned along with ten expansions even though they don't have the ability to create Hangman.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #313 on: November 08, 2007, 11:54:07 PM

That's one of the first things you see if you visit amateur game sites - some clown has a MMORPG planned along with ten expansions even though they don't have the ability to create Hangman.

Bad example. Flagship is more than capable of creating Hangman. Ohhhhh, I see.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #314 on: November 09, 2007, 02:17:18 AM

starting a buffet without knowing how to toss a salad?  awesome, for real

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: expletive deleted superfail expletive deleted  
Jump to: