Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:31:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 98 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  (Read 979270 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #105 on: August 17, 2011, 03:09:12 PM

Visually it reminds me more of Free Realms or LEGO than anything else.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #106 on: August 17, 2011, 03:32:07 PM

Like I said, I was especially surprised by the animations...Maybe I was skeptic considering how..."doubtful" they are by looking at the TOR ones (even though they are getting better). But yes, it might be something also related to the different engine they use, I don't know anything about computer animation.

Not surprisingly, among other developers, they have Kevin Beardslee (Lead Animator of 2004 WoW and later, founder of Carbine itself) and Matt Mocarski, credited among "Dungeon/City Artist" of the original WoW. Not implying anything about the quality of the gameplay itself, just sayin'....

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: August 17, 2011, 03:57:01 PM

Nosing at it, following leads, I stumbled into bonus quests such as a chasing a floating spatial anomaly, which granted me mega-jump powers that enabled me to reach the top of towering spire. For doing this, the game gifted me some gloves and experience. I hadn’t had to kill 10 rats to do this. I’d instead wandered away from the mobs, to the edges of the map, and I’d found things to do. Another asked me to plant a locator beacon on the top of a high pile of boulders – inaccessible, of course. But Explorers can see/activate paths that other playstyles can’t – tracking my way to a subtly-marked point on my minimap, I found the requisite hotspot, right-clicked and a series of platforms appeared on the side of rocky tower. Up ‘em I went, and my beacon was safely planted. Ding! Gifts for me.

Maybe I'm just not jaded enough, but this sounds like it could be really fun and interesting provided it's done right.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: August 17, 2011, 04:04:15 PM

The animation style reminded me of the ground unit clips from the original Blackstar video that came out a while back.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: August 17, 2011, 04:16:38 PM

The animation style reminded me of the ground unit clips from the original Blackstar video that came out a while back.

I was thinking the same, actually:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc8dXW61bv4

That's a "Blackstar" presentation back in 2008 (I was really looking forward to it, sigh). As you might know, the game (developed by Spacetime Studios, at the time another division of NCsoft, I think) was eventually cancelled, Spacetime Studios went on its own and now it's primarily a mobile phone game developer (and I think they're trying to revive their original attempt, albeit in a smaller scale). But yeah, probably just a vague similarity :)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #110 on: August 17, 2011, 06:28:05 PM

I signed up for beta, but first appearances don't thrill me either.

Also: you don't need my home address for a beta sign-up. You aren't going to be mailing me anything, or calling me on the phone to ask why I haven't been playing, so don't ask for unnecessary information.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: August 17, 2011, 06:41:36 PM

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: August 17, 2011, 06:45:43 PM

Looks like a wow killer Ohhhhh, I see.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #113 on: August 17, 2011, 06:49:15 PM

Style/settings are pretty.  Everything else looks 2005.  Slow running, slow combat animations.  It literally looks like a WoW starter zone, but more confined.  I thought we were moving past WoW design now?
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: August 17, 2011, 06:54:37 PM

Ho hum.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: August 17, 2011, 06:57:26 PM

Style/settings are pretty.  Everything else looks 2005.  Slow running, slow combat animations.  It literally looks like a WoW starter zone, but more confined.  I thought we were moving past WoW design now?

More like 2002 but continue  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: August 17, 2011, 07:05:51 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc8dXW61bv4

That's a "Blackstar" presentation back in 2008 (I was really looking forward to it, sigh).

That's the one. Not to veer off too much, but I could go for a fast paced space fighter game right about now.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Jobu
Terracotta Army

Lord Buttrot

Reply #117 on: August 17, 2011, 07:35:49 PM

You know what else, this is a fantastic way to reveal and announce your project.

A great trailer, followed up with tons of actual screenshots (with actual diversity), and videos of it completely playable and live. No countdowns to an announcement about a name and a barren website, followed weeks later by a teaser trailer, then a real trailer, then maybe a single screenshot, blahblahblah.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: August 17, 2011, 07:36:48 PM

You know what else, this is a fantastic way to reveal and announce your project.

A great trailer, followed up with tons of actual screenshots (with actual diversity), and videos of it completely playable and live. No countdowns to an announcement about a name and a barren website, followed weeks later by a teaser trailer, then a real trailer, then maybe a single screenshot, blahblahblah.

Yea, I'll give them credit for that.  Too bad the game doesn't look that interesting.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: August 17, 2011, 07:39:39 PM

I actually give them credit for showing there level 1 gameplay instead of there level 80 gameplay.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: August 17, 2011, 08:27:48 PM

I liked the "double-tap W, or S, to dodge the big bad attack" mechanic, though I'd rather the tell were somewhat more subtle than a cast bar.  Hopefully, there's more of that sort of thing in the game, because the rest of what they showed in that video was pretty uninspiring.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: August 18, 2011, 04:19:47 AM

Gameplay livestream starting in a few, here

http://us.ncsoft.com/en/events/gamescom_2011.html#17868

WildStar Stage Demo - The Planet Nexus
Be one of the first people to see WildStar in action on the big screen! Carbine will be demonstrating WildStar, and talking about features and game play elements in this live walkthrough.

EDIT: just finished watching the gameplay live session.

- Yes, at first sight it surely looked a bit generic, as in "go grab quests and kill generic stuff", but then it quickly became more dynamic, especially considering that they shown starting stuff. Let's say it was more like the new WoW starting zone approach than, for example, the old, tedious Tauren starting zone one (especially all those kill quests in Bloodhoof village).

Beside the very good animations and the cool-looking environments, it looked like that quests are updated on the fly, with new objectives and things to do while you are actually out on a mission. It seemed to me that you deal with enemies quite quickly, with a more "actiony" approach so that you get to the "meat" of the quest without the tedium of killing a lot of stuff (again, speaking of what I saw from the gameplay video). That "beacon tower" quest looked nice, and also you got reward for you chosen path, which I think was the explorer one, by doing stuff related to your "path".

There will be another Q&A session in about two hours, but I think it will be in german only.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 05:18:43 AM by Lucas »

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: August 18, 2011, 11:38:17 AM

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: August 18, 2011, 12:44:09 PM

I thought we were moving past WoW design now?
Haha, what made you think that? The second-most-successful Western pay-to-play MMO at the moment is a WoW-clone and the Next Big Thing is a WoW-clone.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #124 on: August 18, 2011, 01:41:45 PM

I liked the "double-tap W, or S, to dodge the big bad attack" mechanic, though I'd rather the tell were somewhat more subtle than a cast bar.  Hopefully, there's more of that sort of thing in the game, because the rest of what they showed in that video was pretty uninspiring.

Sometimes you really have to make the tells big and flashy to drive it into someone's head, though.

The tells for those starter yeti is that there is an animation of them leaning back and inhaling, with a sound, a cast bar, and a giant red cone on the ground indicating where it's going to hit with the attack. And that's just for a starter creature. Even with all that, there is still plenty of footage of people playing the demo just autoattacking the creature, blissfully unaware.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: August 21, 2011, 08:29:29 AM

Haha, what made you think that? The second-most-successful Western pay-to-play MMO at the moment is a WoW-clone and the Next Big Thing is a WoW-clone.

I'm way past done with wow and wow clones. In fact I'm writing off games the instant that I see hovering "QUEST'S HERE" (say that in Paulie D's voice from Jersey Shore) icons above stationary NPCs heads. They can be yellow exclamation points or other cute icons but no more CAB'S HERE/QUEST'S HERE trash in my trailer.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #126 on: August 21, 2011, 08:36:51 AM

I'm way past done with wow and wow clones. In fact I'm writing off games the instant that I see hovering "QUEST'S HERE" (say that in Paulie D's voice from Jersey Shore) icons above stationary NPCs heads. They can be yellow exclamation points or other cute icons but no more CAB'S HERE/QUEST'S HERE trash in my trailer.

This is a really big point to me - I think there's obviously better ways of showing quests than Everquest had, where you had to hunt and peck at the game world, then dialog to get anywhere.  But the yellow exclamation points are simply overboard.  It is one of the huge turnoffs I have when examining a new game.  The yellow exclamation point just screams "treadmill". 

Then again, I want more immersive online worlds and less game. 
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: August 21, 2011, 12:20:04 PM

Reading around the net as usual the comments on the style I've seen are sort of overwhelmingly positive.   Gamers are older but I'm getting the feeling that this one is going to be a generational gap thing.   I haven't even seen the usual realism trolls.   I guess it's so far from realism that they don't even feel it's worth arguing.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: August 22, 2011, 11:08:28 PM

So, here is a great video walkthrough of the entire starting zone, called "Northern Wilds", complete with a short istanced area at the end. It runs for 37 minutes, good quality, and it's narrated by Lead Creative Writer Chad Moore (worked on games like Arcanum, Fallout 2, Vampire: Bloodlines).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiOseZt_dDo

It's a change from other gameplay videos floating around 'cause you are following an Aurin Esper (bunny!!!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS), instead of the Human Spellslinger. Path is the same: Explorer. The main mechanics (at least those unveiled so far) are explained: challenges, "momentum", special UI features, combat actions and more.

What I like the most is how "layered" the experience seem to be: yes, there is your average "kill stuff throughout the zone and grab quests" one, but there is also a lot more. Very dynamic and, *gosh*, quite fun to follow as a simple video spectator, considering is a MMO.
----

Another interesting video: "Paths" presentation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcU3qqsWjbc

It's basically a summary of the "paths" the player can undertake. Settler sounds quite different! (starts at about 2m 33s)

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: August 23, 2011, 04:46:04 AM

If they improve the intro, I would actually play this based on the path system (combat obviously). Look there is nothing wrong with wading into mobs and slaughter them 3-4 at a time. As long as its not boring, not staring at an xp bar, generally not getting "old" with your content. One of my first mmo's had me fight zombies out in the desert area, for 1 week that was the most fun i had ever... unfortunately that was about it for the game for at least 15 level and after 1 week of killing zombies I'd had advanced 2 levels  awesome, for real Diku's are boring because they are generic grindy pieces of shit. Not because the gameplay isn't can't be fun otherwise why are we frothy at the mouth for diablo 3? 
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: August 23, 2011, 06:39:05 AM

Diku's are boring because they are generic grindy pieces of shit. Not because the gameplay isn't can't be fun otherwise why are we frothy at the mouth for diablo 3? 

I disagree, I think it is absolutely because the gameplay isn't fun.  Make a Borderlands MMO and I bet a lot of us sick of the current crop of MMORPGs would play the hell out of it.   Grinding is a meaningless term - it vaguely describes "The game is convincing me to keep playing to attain an in game goal even though its not fun for me to play"  People never trot out the word "grind" when they are having fun actually playing.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: August 23, 2011, 06:44:54 AM

Yeah, I'd play the hell out of that.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: August 23, 2011, 07:44:37 AM

You take any game and bury it under a mountain of "play x hours to unlock y" and you made a pretty effective filter. WAR, AoC, Aion, Chronicles of Spellborn, Rift etc

Lets take Chronicles, it wasn't a bad game play wise. Actually it was great. You had a skill deck system that effectively rotates so you can do combos. You can select different skills or multiple copies of the same skills on your skill deck (each style had its advantages), and every skill had to be aimed. You can also effectively dodge skills by basic movement (juking), applying speed buffs, and using line of sight (no shooting through stuff). Sounds fun right? It was and probably still will be if the game didn't insist on boring you to death  with what you actually used that neat system to do.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: August 23, 2011, 08:26:49 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcU3qqsWjbc

It's basically a summary of the "paths" the player can undertake. Settler sounds quite different! (starts at about 2m 33s)

I question the split of the Scientist/Explorer roles. They've conflated lore-delving with - by their own definition - achievement whoring. It seems to me there'd be a lot more overlap between people who like lore and people who like to explore the landscape and find unusual sites. Achievement whores are more about ticking items off on a list.

But maybe I'm biased because that's how it shakes out with me.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: August 23, 2011, 08:47:10 AM

I thought Chronicles was a badass game.  But the grinding was fucking awful, so I quit.  I really had fun actually playing it though.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: August 23, 2011, 09:08:10 AM

I thought Chronicles was a badass game.  But the grinding was fucking awful, so I quit.  I really had fun actually playing it though.

What do you really mean though?  It sounds like you are just saying "It was fun until I had to repeat stuff too much and then it got boring."  If it kept being fun to play that entire time, you wouldn't have minded, at some point it stopped.  It sounds to me like issue is that the gameplay didn't hold up to a lot of repetition.  There are plenty of games in which I've happily played the same thing literally 1000s of times without seeing it as grinding - so it seems to me that grinding itself can't be the issue unless the gameplay doesn't hold up.  What makes playing dustbowl for the 25,000th time more fun than killing the 25,000th boar in an MMORPG - the gameplay. 

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: August 23, 2011, 10:41:44 AM

I meant exactly what I said. 

I really enjoyed my time playing.  But when it got to a point where character progression just stopped because the exp curve went through the roof, I stopped playing.

Also, solo play kinda ended as well I think, but it's been a few years.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #137 on: August 23, 2011, 10:58:18 AM

To me "Grind" usually means "repetition to the point of not being fun". I agree with whomever posted above that Grind really doesnt mean much these days. Back in the old days it meant sitting at a camp and killing the same mob over and over again. These days people just use it to mean "not fun". I think we need to get an internet ruling on the term myself.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: August 23, 2011, 11:09:55 AM

I question the split of the Scientist/Explorer roles. They've conflated lore-delving with - by their own definition - achievement whoring. It seems to me there'd be a lot more overlap between people who like lore and people who like to explore the landscape and find unusual sites. Achievement whores are more about ticking items off on a list.

But maybe I'm biased because that's how it shakes out with me.
I'm the same.  I'm split on which I would want to choose, because I enjoy exploring lore as much as finding out of the way places.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: August 23, 2011, 11:11:38 AM

Ok, we can stop confusing people with a common term used for 10 years, lets call it "what I AM doing is not what I WANT to be doing"

AoC for another example, Its combat was praised on every gaming site known to man. Finally every sword and board kiddy can finally aim there sword, hit someone, and even hit the person next to him. It was the jebus of game design, you had combos which had starters and finishers and you could actively block and evade attacks. The days of stand and trade blows combat is over funcom declared, and they were right, and people loved them and pve'ers sang there praise for 20 levels and the magic ride ended there. The fourms ran red with the blood of subscriptions being canceled as the fanboys hugged themselves jeering and weeping as they told there fellow gamers to go back to WoW, that the grind wasn't that bad, that there need not be an endgame! They wondered why one of the first action oriented mmo's, the first brake from staple diku combat, could fail so miserably.  
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 11:14:32 AM by DLRiley »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 98 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  
Jump to: