Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:11:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 98 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  (Read 978197 times)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

on: October 04, 2007, 03:07:23 PM

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=15745
---

Former WoW, Fallout Designers Form Carbine

Former WoW, Fallout Designers Form Carbine NCsoft Corporation (Lineage, Guild Wars), has announced the formation of Carbine Studios, a new Aliso Viejo, CA-based studio in its online game development family, and adds that Carbine is currently working on an unannounced MMO project.

The studio is comprised of 17 former Blizzard employees including lead and senior developers from the World of Warcraft team. Carbine’s vice president of design, Kevin Beardslee, was a lead developer on WoW, while Tim Cain, Carbine’s programming director, was the producer, lead programmer and designer on Fallout, in addition to co-founding the now-defunct Troika Games (Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines).

Carbine executive producer Jeremy Gaffney previously worked as executive producer on NCsoft’s City of Heroes, and established the product development group at NCsoft’s Austin headquarters as VP of development. He was also a co-founder of Turbine, where he spearheaded development on Asheron’s Call.

“This is a dev team made in heaven,” said Robert Garriott, CEO for NCsoft’s North American business. “This group is as experienced as they come in the area of computer role playing and multiplayer game design. Making successful games is second nature to them. They are a very welcome addition to the NCsoft family. The gaming community should be excited to see what great things come out of Carbine Studios in the coming years.”

------

Official site:

http://www.carbinestudios.com/

At least, nice collection of names, same goes with Spacetime Studios.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 05:38:24 AM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 03:24:32 PM

lesion

Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 03:31:41 PM

if it wasn't an MMO...

steam|a grue \[T]/
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 03:54:38 PM

Yep.

Way to make me not care. Michael Jackson is eagerly awaiting failure.
Tisirin
Developers

Cartoon Network

Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 05:56:28 PM

That's what... 17 studios composed of leading / senior WoW designers?  Those guys are getting spread thin!

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 06:26:53 PM

I wonder how these guys will adjust to not having a bottomless pit of cash to draw from.
Talonus
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 07:11:05 PM

At some point every MMOG company will have their owner former WoW development team at the current churn rate.
Mandrel
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 08:45:06 PM

I wonder how these guys will adjust to not having a bottomless pit of cash to draw from.
That's what venture capitalists are for!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 07:02:55 AM

It's funny to me how game development funding seems to follow some of the same trends that I see in scientific funding.  Who you worked for in the past seems to be as important/more important than the quality of your current ideas.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 08:53:02 AM

I would be nice to see a dev studio run by a 30 year veteran of a real software company.  Creatives should not be running the asylum.

I have never played WoW.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 08:58:46 AM

Get back to me in 2010 when they actually have something playable.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 10:38:12 AM

Hey thats where I live.

*edit*

That place is like a 2 minute drive from my house.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 10:43:02 AM by Morfiend »
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 10:47:06 AM

Could you go and beat some sense into them?
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 10:53:26 AM

Could you go and beat some sense into them?

Why bother?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 12:03:15 PM

But Garriott says they are awesome.  Why would you beat them?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 12:05:51 PM

I met Garriot once at E3. He was in full lord brittish getup. Pimpin Tabula Rasa. I felt weird.
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 12:06:34 PM

Did he touch you with his sputnik?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #17 on: October 05, 2007, 12:08:23 PM

Did he smell like mothballs and brandy?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #18 on: October 05, 2007, 04:34:47 PM

Did he smell like mothballs and brandy?

I dont remember. All I remember was him constantly saying "Let me show you something" and I wanted to run.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 05, 2007, 04:42:33 PM

Well, they do have NCSoft backing for what it's worth. Of course, from the list of job postings, it may well be 2015 before they have anything to market.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: October 05, 2007, 04:44:09 PM

Well, they do have NCSoft backing for what it's worth.

Depends on how much Garriott can siphon out of Korea.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 05, 2007, 06:21:42 PM

I don't like it when people eat with their mouths open.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 06, 2007, 07:20:19 AM

Ye olde typical medieval music track posted on the "Downloads" page:

http://www.carbinestudios.com/downloads/

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 07, 2007, 12:08:05 AM

It's good they are not making another generic fantasy MMO.

Preliminary Results: ^H^H^H Fail.

Edit: They don't deserve an Epic fail.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 12:11:47 AM by Ragnoros »

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #24 on: October 07, 2007, 03:13:28 PM

It's good they are not making another generic fantasy MMO.

Preliminary Results: ^H^H^H Fail.

Edit: They don't deserve an Epic fail.

If you look at the wallpaper right below it, there is a guy with a gun, so I think generic fantasy is wrong. Now, if they actually release anything remains to be seen.
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 07, 2007, 03:19:17 PM

So it sounds like some former Wow devs making a sci-fi mmo? I'd be willing to give it a chance.
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: October 07, 2007, 06:27:28 PM

If you look at the wallpaper right below it, there is a guy with a gun, so I think generic fantasy is wrong. Now, if they actually release anything remains to be seen.

Missed that.

Doubt it's Sci-Fi Mopps. Hit the link and check the first pic.

Also I'll remind you Morfiend that WoW has guns. And no one would argue it's not (mostly) generic fantasy.

Nice art anyway. Would be sweet if the game actually looked like that.

Damn I edit a lot.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 06:30:38 PM by Ragnoros »

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 07, 2007, 08:12:44 PM

Has kind of a Ryzom-esque quality to it. Would love it if that art spoke of the final style. Too bad...
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: October 08, 2007, 06:04:41 AM

...And how could ya live without ye olde "introductory" interview with some high-profile member of the studio? (btw, apparently they've just wrapped up pre-production)

Gamespot interview with Kevin Beardsley (VP), Jeremy Gaffney (Executive Producer) and Eric DeMilt (Producer)

Ahem, can anyone translate the following answer in proper, non corporate english, please ? :P

GS: In the announcement this morning, it said Carbine would be "breaking new ground" in the MMO market. What exactly does that signify for you guys?

JG: I absolutely think there's a lot of area to evolve games, in terms of what [is] the next likely stage of things to work on." There's some things these games do really well, and there's some not so much. And so obviously, we want to chase down that path. And there are places where there are brand-new systems where you can fundamentally do stuff in a different way and really try to improve it and make it better. One of the holdovers that we have is that there's really a belief in iterating on things. You put stuff in, and then the company speaks because people are playing the games and people's friends are playing the games so there's kind of no BS. Stuff either works or it doesn't. And we're going to try to both evolve and revolt--is the unfortunate word choice [nervous laugh]--in a bunch of different ways. Evolve and revolve. And Darwinian fitness is going to say which of those survive and which of those don't.
---------

Regarding the game "Art" :

GS: Carbine's site has some interesting artwork that's got a fantasy/sci-fi look, with a sword-and-sorcery theme but characters are wearing bandoliers and pistols. Is that indicative of your first project?

JG: The art is indicative, but we're not talking a ton about the game yet because, in part, we're still in development. And we're also sort of planning our reveals on that. We're definitely letting the art speak for itself right now. We're also a fan of inventing our genres and/or crossing genres, as WOW does to an extent and some of our other games have done to an extent. But we're also into opening up some new areas where we can have some freedom to create, as opposed to working with established clichés. We're giving the creative team more interesting avenues to explore than just your traditional high fantasy or whatever...it's not, "Hey, we want to be different because we need a new genre for a business tactic." The types of choices we're making are more to do with what the creative team wants to do--where they want to take the setting and the stories and the creatures and the characters. And that's kind of how you derive some of those elements that you see in that artwork.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2007/277/Dagun397_screen.jpg -"We're gonna break yer plate mail ass, dude"

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #29 on: October 08, 2007, 07:09:07 AM

it's not, "Hey, we want to be different because we need a new genre for a business tactic."

Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 08, 2007, 07:32:12 AM

JG: Loads and loads of bullshit.

Sad.  It's not 2000 anymore.  There's no place for such type of talk that early in the process.  No one cares.  Maybe it's for recruitment purpose?  They hope to get some good resumes out of this?

It reminds me of Green Monster Game.   Where's your game?
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: October 08, 2007, 08:03:21 AM

It reminds me of Green Monster Game.   Where's your game?

Yeah, beside Carbine's, looks like there are a lot of prematurely announced MMOGs out there we don't know the slightest thing about (nothing strange :P) :

- Bioware ultra-uber-sekreet project
- 38 studios (GMG) MMOG
- Stargate Worlds
- STO
- Spacetime Studios space MMOG (even tho they recently started posting small blogs on the main page. New one might come out today)

Well, not to mention others, like the DC and Marvel comic-based ones, but for now we just know about them because of press-releases (yeah, ok, same for Bioware).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 08:16:45 AM by Lucas »

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 08, 2007, 08:13:39 AM

Nvm, i'm dumb.  :-D

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Jerrith
Developers

Trion

Reply #33 on: October 08, 2007, 08:26:38 AM

Yeah, beside Carbine's, looks like there are a lot of prematurely announced MMOGs out there we don't know the slightest thing about (nothing strange :P) :

- Stargate Worlds

Well, since that's what I'm working on:  http://stargateworldswiki.com - There's some info out there.  Yes, it is early though.

Back to the story:  This is an interesting change.  This studio was previously a direct branch of NCsoft.  What prompted the change from being part of NCsoft to being an independent studio published by NCsoft? 

Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 08, 2007, 09:02:32 AM

Maybe NCSoft pulled an early Microsoft, a la Vanguard.

There are only so many losses a company can have before the shareholders get all  Mob on your CEO.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 98 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  
Jump to: