Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:14:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 98 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  (Read 979322 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: April 03, 2013, 10:44:58 AM

Post-PAX break is over.  Resume the content feed again!

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/what_is_wildstar_arenas.php

tl;dr - We're copy-pasta'ing WoW Arenas, but no more single-elimination.  Each team gets X number of respawns to burn before final defeat.  Also, Web 2.0 still lives!

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: April 03, 2013, 11:06:33 AM

Heart  Just....    Heart
Housing Video

If you're on the fence about this game, after watching that video you likely won't be.  Has to be the baddest ass housing implementation on a viable AAA MMO I've ever seen.  errr, maybe tied with SWG.

God damn it.

Wow why is everyone going nuts about 3d farmville? "And let your friend take care of your garden while your away" - yuck.  the whole thing is just another variant of grind for a toy doll house. in an instance. RIFT has apparently same thing already. why there is no millions of happy customers throwing money at it?
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #282 on: April 03, 2013, 05:30:34 PM

Although the video is impressive, I'm always curious about the in-game costs to set up housing. After all, CoH/V had a fantastic base system, but you needed a large and / or active guild in order to afford to buy anything past the basic block.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: April 03, 2013, 07:10:39 PM

Heart  Just....    Heart
Housing Video

If you're on the fence about this game, after watching that video you likely won't be.  Has to be the baddest ass housing implementation on a viable AAA MMO I've ever seen.  errr, maybe tied with SWG.

God damn it.

Wow why is everyone going nuts about 3d farmville? "And let your friend take care of your garden while your away" - yuck.  the whole thing is just another variant of grind for a toy doll house. in an instance. RIFT has apparently same thing already. why there is no millions of happy customers throwing money at it?

1. I like non-combat stuff in MMOs
2. I like having some investment in the game world beyond just my character.  I liked housing a lot in Lord of the Rings Online, and is one of the things that got me to resub several times.  Part of the actual game world is better than instanced, but oh well.
3. I like having a place to "hang out" in MMOs.  In the MMOs I played long term, I spent a lot of time just logged in talking/being social.  Social spaces encourage that and are largely absent from recent MMOs (WoW included I would say).

The bottom line is, your moment to moment gameplay (read: combat) has to be good in an MMO for me to care about it in the first place, but it is stuff like housing which keeps me really invested in one long term. 

That being said, if you are right that there is a lot of grind attached to the housing thing, then I'm not interested.  I don't mind the "grind" as much when it is something part of the persistent world (i.e I didn't mind the mundane work of helping to refuel my coporation's POSes in EVE, because it was part of something bigger). But in something like this, hopefully it is something which can come a bit more organically.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: April 03, 2013, 07:25:51 PM

Housing? Furries? Some vague sci fi shit we will tell you about later? TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Hic sunt dracones.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: April 03, 2013, 07:46:02 PM

No, please, go on.  Tell us how you really feel.   Ohhhhh, I see.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: April 03, 2013, 08:47:36 PM

I don't play games to crush, I play them to bake bread.

I played Rift for nine months, then got tired of the basic gameplay. The housing came close to luring me back. Since I got Storm Legion free with Defiance, it's all but certain that I will eventually go back. I'd also like to point to all the people who happily threw money at UO and SWG for many, many years on the strength of Elder Game features like this.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: April 03, 2013, 10:56:31 PM

I don't play games to crush, I play them to bake bread.

I played Rift for nine months, then got tired of the basic gameplay. The housing came close to luring me back. Since I got Storm Legion free with Defiance, it's all but certain that I will eventually go back. I'd also like to point to all the people who happily threw money at UO and SWG for many, many years on the strength of Elder Game features like this.

I know more than a few people in swg that all they did was decorate houses and play around in the city building features.  Non-combat activities are VERY attractive to a significant number of people, esp. women.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #288 on: April 04, 2013, 02:47:50 AM

You could say that Richard Garriott invented Farmville back in the UO days, and it proved to be a good idea at the time since everyone went crazy over decorating their houses and lookng for rare furniture. What Farmville needs is to be put (back) into a bigger game and become nothing but one of the many things you can do in a sandbox. This could be it and I see nothing wrong with it. In fact, let me try to get your point: do you dislike sandbox elements? Because lots of people love them and have been asking for it for a long time. I think it's good that one way or another, and even in what is probably going to be a traditional dikuish game, someone listened and is putting some effort into building more sandbox fluff into their MMORPG.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 03:06:49 AM by Falconeer »

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: April 04, 2013, 07:10:48 AM

I know more than a few people in swg that all they did was decorate houses and play around in the city building features.  Non-combat activities are VERY attractive to a significant number of people, esp. women.
I could play house and kick-ass, all in the same play session.  SWG is still at the top of my list of MMOs I loved.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: April 04, 2013, 09:35:34 AM

I could play house and kick-ass, all in the same play session.  SWG is still at the top of my list of MMOs I loved.

Lantyssa gets it!
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #291 on: April 04, 2013, 09:38:59 AM

Although the video is impressive, I'm always curious about the in-game costs to set up housing. After all, CoH/V had a fantastic base system, but you needed a large and / or active guild in order to afford to buy anything past the basic block.

I seem to recall them mentioning in a video that you get it in a questline for free/cheap early on in your character's life.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #292 on: April 04, 2013, 09:50:52 AM

If Skyrim is any indication, I'll play house even if there's no chance someone else will see it.   And like Skyrim, this seems to add some convenience and functionality.    Before this video, I had zero interest in this game.

-Rasix
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: April 04, 2013, 10:59:01 AM

Every damn time I play skyrim I build a house...I have no idea why but I do, because.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #294 on: April 04, 2013, 11:04:04 AM

My Hearthfire house got bugged.  When I was close to "finishing" it, all of the sudden it would CTD me upon entering.  Children and priceless artifacts lost to me forever.  Well, at least the children would go outside to say hi and ask for stuff every once in a while.

-Rasix
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: April 04, 2013, 05:53:34 PM

Wow I am really somewhat surprised so many people are really into the housing stuff. I mean I personally always considered its "neat" feature but something I wouldnt personally want to do because of grind/time involved for basically cosmetics. 

But then  its strange that there is relatively little attention/hype to the newly upcoming Korean mmo's such as an Archeage or Black Desert. They really have the housing/farming features on the next level
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: April 04, 2013, 06:38:56 PM

Me too. I was one of those work-for-hire home decorators. I also was in a band for a brief time.

There's nothing wrong with Farmville. In fact, the sequel has a better crafting UI than any MMO I've played. Which isn't saying much because they're all one-dimensional copy/pastes of eachother. What makes it better is simply that you can start with the end combine and work backwards through all the sub-component combines, and it remembers as you backtrack back up through the final combine.

From the mouth of babes.

Farming and planting and harvesting is cathartic. It's also not time-sucky. In fact, Carbine should launch that system as a Facebook game so people could do that shit during the times they usually do it: at work. Throw some ads and MySuperRewards at it and they can drop even needing MTX awesome, for real
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #297 on: April 04, 2013, 06:51:45 PM

I still want an mmo with untamed wilds where I can tame the fuck out of those wilds and build a road, and set up a tavern, and, and, display my pretties!  Sure some fuck will build Penishouse next door but oh well.  I'll just have to level up my arsonist skill.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: April 04, 2013, 07:08:05 PM

I still want an mmo with untamed wilds where I can tame the fuck out of those wilds and build a road, and set up a tavern, and, and, display my pretties!  Sure some fuck will build Penishouse next door but oh well.  I'll just have to level up my arsonist skill.

Yeah, this would be nice.  Ultimately I don't know how it can be done with public servers though.  If you could imagine a really large game world with a much smaller player base per server where by there would enough space for their to be "wilds" you could really get something going.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: April 04, 2013, 07:14:48 PM

I still want an mmo with untamed wilds where I can tame the fuck out of those wilds and build a road, and set up a tavern, and, and, display my pretties!

Pathfinder Online?

- Henry Cobb
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: April 04, 2013, 07:38:42 PM

I thought ArcheAge was offering that.

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #301 on: April 04, 2013, 07:42:00 PM

Yeah, this would be nice.  Ultimately I don't know how it can be done with public servers though.  If you could imagine a really large game world with a much smaller player base per server where by there would enough space for their to be "wilds" you could really get something going.

One day there will be an MMO where the world is generated kinda like Minecraft is, including monsters with their own pseudo society and growth.  All the players start at one spot and then spread out. 

I haven't read anything on the Pathfinder game, didn't even know one was int he works.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #302 on: April 05, 2013, 02:47:00 AM

In fact, Carbine should launch that system as a Facebook game so people could do that shit during the times they usually do it: at work. Throw some ads and MySuperRewards at it and they can drop even needing MTX awesome, for real

See, to me it's the other way around. Wordly MMORPGs need side activities badly, and that's why Farmville inside an MMO is a great idea. While I find the experience without a world around it quite dull (I know I am the minority). I've been pushing to have a tiny Football Manager-like game embedded in a MMORPG for a while now and thought SWTOR was the perfect environment with the Huttaball stuff fitting the lore. And I definitely think that's the way to go. Sandboxes can and should host as many activities as possible, and honestly, really, who ever dislilked housing in any game? At worst, you ignore it. At best, you love it and becomes one of your favourite aspects of the game. Yes, I spent hours and hours decorating my SWG house too.

Also, about Korean games, people are suspicious here about them due to a 'grindy' label that will take a while to go away, and they don't get much press space or flashy youtube videos like the Wildstar one, but should they launch in a playable state you can be assured that the amazing sandbox elements of Archeage and Black Desert (seriously, how many have even heard about Black Desert?) won't be ignored.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: April 05, 2013, 11:46:58 AM

We got crafting, yes we do.  We use Circuit Board Crafting, how about you?   awesome, for real

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: April 05, 2013, 12:44:12 PM

"By Loic "Atreid" Claveau... My name is Primus (Gortok on the forums)"

swamp poop

- Henry Cobb
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: April 05, 2013, 01:25:57 PM

Seems like a streamlined graphical version of Tabula Rasa's original crafting system, with "power" (amount) separated from actual ability.  I like it.  You can essentially make anything (and everything will have a schematic), but certain components will randomize to prevent minmax copycatting.

This pushes my buttons.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: April 05, 2013, 01:34:06 PM

"By Loic "Atreid" Claveau... My name is Primus (Gortok on the forums)"

swamp poop

It turns out Wildstar's entire Dev team is one guy with Dissociative Personality Disorder.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: April 12, 2013, 10:52:33 AM

Very interesting post from the devs at Carbine about item design and how they are looking for help to create a new item slot.  Really worth the read if you are interested in the game.

http://wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/wsc-exclusive-design-an-item-slot.2287/
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: April 12, 2013, 11:03:12 AM

Also, here's something about the details of their server architecture.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/lets_talk_about_servers.php

Funny, I thought MS SQL was frowned upon these days?

Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: April 12, 2013, 05:11:14 PM

Yes, everyone tends to frown on it.

Then they go and use oracle.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: April 12, 2013, 05:13:12 PM

Oooh ooh, can we talk about SWG and Oracle issues again???  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: April 13, 2013, 06:55:50 AM

No.  Bad Darniaq.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: April 15, 2013, 04:54:02 AM

Watching this develop has been the polar opposite experience to watching TESO develop. Wildstar genuinely feels like it could be a real breath of fresh air despite the fact that mechanically it really isn't anything new. It just seems to be being made by a dev team with their heads screwed on and possessing a wicked, irreverent sense of humour that is otherwise totally absent in the MMO market - and one that isn't wholly reliant on pop-culture references like WoW, which has become the Shrek of MMOs - massively popular and badly dated. Carbine, on the other hand, just seem to keep adding in everything I could ask for.

I've honestly yet to see or read anything about Wildstar that annoys me or sets off alarm bells. The only issue I really have with it is the publisher. I don't feel like I can ever trust NCSoft, certainly not post-CoH demise. They'll likely shit-can Wildstar in two years if it doesn't get a decent Korean playerbase, and fuck everyone else.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #313 on: April 15, 2013, 06:19:04 AM

I imagine the answer is a resounding yes, but has a non-Asian developed MMO ever actually intentionally shit their game up with increased grind/etc for an Asian release? For some reason the idea makes me laugh.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #314 on: April 15, 2013, 06:59:20 AM

Yes, everyone tends to frown on it.

Then they go and use oracle.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The whole thing reads like a pretty standard rundown of an MMO server stack. You'll see similar things on Patrick Wyatt's blog if you follow it. Given how heavily instanced Wildstar seems to be, their setup seems like the most logical implementation.

I'll give you a 99% chance that their unmentioned "chat daemon" is either an off-the-shelf chat technology or an implementation of an open standard - they're probably setting up some reveal like "and you can chat with your buddies from your phone!" That kind of multidevice interoperability has been trendy to plan and talk about for the past couple of years, and there's a few successful implementations out there.

MSSQL is more or less industry standard as well. You won't get amazing performance like you would with a hand-optimized version of Postgres or MySQL, but you also won't have to hire an entire team to build and maintain said custom version. Instead you can hire in some local contractors whenever needed, and you can have a support contract with Microsoft to quickly resolve smaller issues.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 98 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  
Jump to: