Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:28:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 98 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  (Read 983945 times)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: March 22, 2013, 03:46:07 PM

Heart  Just....    Heart
Housing Video

If you're on the fence about this game, after watching that video you likely won't be.  Has to be the baddest ass housing implementation on a viable AAA MMO I've ever seen.  errr, maybe tied with SWG.

God damn it.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: March 22, 2013, 04:16:30 PM

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/22/pax-east-2013-a-first-look-at-wildstars-high-low-and-housing/#continued

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Also, the Massively article details a leveling zone IN SPACE!  So there you go.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: March 22, 2013, 06:51:36 PM

Played this for a bit at PAX East. Felt like a WoW clone. That's not necessarily a bad thing of course. WoW may have run it's course for me, but the fundamentals are still sound.

Played about 10 minutes, not nearly enough to get the gist. MMOs don't really shine well at limited-attention-span conventions smiley So none of the longterm stuff that's interesting about Wildstar really has a chance to come up at a show. They had a pretty sizable booth for it. Kinda like they really want to invest to make it successful or something  Head scratch

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: March 22, 2013, 08:27:22 PM

Voice overs and acting throughout?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: March 23, 2013, 08:21:07 AM

Not that I could see. Some here and there, but it was in all that forgettable variety, like stock phrases on click but the stories told in text. I could be remembering it wrong. It was the first booth I hit simply because of where it was.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: March 23, 2013, 09:39:39 AM

I think I'm over the whole "fully-voice acted quest dramatics" thing.  SWTOR showed that in the end, it really doesn't matter, and you'll just end up ESC through the cutscenes anyways.  TSW did some fine stuff with quest intros to get you at least interested in doing the quest and maybe seeing it to it's conclusion, plus the scripted lore from characters was neat.  But if I could trade that for a better DX11 client + some better fleshed out gameplay, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: March 23, 2013, 09:46:00 AM

I think I'm over the whole "fully-voice acted quest dramatics" thing.  SWTOR showed that in the end, it really doesn't matter, and you'll just end up ESC through the cutscenes anyways.  TSW did some fine stuff with quest intros to get you at least interested in doing the quest and maybe seeing it to it's conclusion, plus the scripted lore from characters was neat.  But if I could trade that for a better DX11 client + some better fleshed out gameplay, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

What I don't understand is why nobody has combined this with the WAR style Tome of Knowledge. Instead of having actual dialogue, have the quest text be narrator based and let the player turn on, pause, rewind, whatever through the TOK. It'd be a lot cheaper to just bring in a few narrators rather than dozens of VA's.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: March 23, 2013, 10:00:01 AM

What I don't understand is why nobody has combined this with the WAR style Tome of Knowledge. Instead of having actual dialogue, have the quest text be narrator based and let the player turn on, pause, rewind, whatever through the TOK. It'd be a lot cheaper to just bring in a few narrators rather than dozens of VA's.

Isn't think pretty much what Diablo 3 did with the tomes you could find? Some also played when you killed something new.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: March 23, 2013, 10:21:42 AM

No idea.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: March 23, 2013, 11:40:03 AM

Dungeons & Dragons Online has the "dungeon master" do some narration whenever you enter an instance. Some were actually pretty decent (though not the Gygax one)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: March 23, 2013, 01:14:23 PM

I finished caring about fully voiced over in MMOs during EQ2. It's because of the game play. VOs are great for RPGs because there's a fair chance it actually does add to the immersion, drawing you into listening. For MMOs, you know it's just window dressing on a "go to X and do Y" thing. Until the core moves beyond tasks, I'd rather they spend the money elsewhere and not incur the residuals to SAG or whatever.

The narative idea for a TOK works though. And yea, that's about how it was in D3 iirc.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: March 23, 2013, 04:05:57 PM

My problem vo's is it can totally turn me off from playing a character.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: March 23, 2013, 07:02:06 PM

The VO's in Defiance are pretty much all I need.  There is just a voice in my comm (with an avatar in the corner) paraphrasing what I read in the mission text or embellishing a sudden scripted event, and that's it.  Perfect.  Wing Commander style.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: March 23, 2013, 11:49:48 PM

My problem vo's is it can totally turn me off from playing a character.

Its not my player having VO I care about.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: March 24, 2013, 09:27:03 AM

I don't want anything in my MMOs that will be hard and/or expensive to continually produce. Voice-over being one such thing. I want patches and expansions to feel as equal in quality to the original content as possible.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: March 24, 2013, 01:59:27 PM

I don't want anything in my MMOs that will be hard and/or expensive to continually produce. Voice-over being one such thing. I want patches and expansions to feel as equal in quality to the original content as possible.

I'd like/settle for one or two good voice actors doing narration whenever appropriate (the actor really makes a difference which you can hear in audio books). Going for a full cast vo is far too costly and cumbersome for most MMOs.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: March 24, 2013, 05:46:27 PM

The problem with no VO in this instance is that they're playing themselves up to be all Ratchet and Clank-ish, and maintaining the sort of humor they're trying to associate themselves with in the trailer ads requires voice acting.  You can't have a wacky moment with dead silence in place of witty banter, it's just plain not gonna work.  They need voice actors, and good ones at that, we're talking some of the bigger names from the cartoon market, not George from accounting's brother who does a funny voice at the holiday party.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: March 25, 2013, 06:35:14 AM

Yep. Great VO and "character" game is going to suffer if its just text. Never seen an engaging Pixar film that was soundless and subtitled. If you want to see how much may be lost, watch any video put out yet and turn the sound off and captions on.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: March 25, 2013, 08:20:53 AM

WALL-E had a complete lack of any vocal dialogue for the first 22 minutes.  Just sayin'  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: March 25, 2013, 08:23:16 AM

No it didn't. He had audible noises through ought. That was part of his character, that IS his voice. This game has already presented very strong characters and voices to match as part of the package. It will be jarring if that just stops and you are reading Wow like text everywhere.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 08:26:58 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #265 on: March 25, 2013, 11:39:21 AM

I dunno, Morrowind was fairly immersive and its NPCs would throw WALLS of text at you.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: March 25, 2013, 11:59:04 AM

Have all the VOs you want, just let me click a check box in settings to disable all of it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #267 on: March 25, 2013, 12:54:27 PM

Heart  Just....    Heart
Housing Video

If you're on the fence about this game, after watching that video you likely won't be.  Has to be the baddest ass housing implementation on a viable AAA MMO I've ever seen.  errr, maybe tied with SWG.

Holy fat faced monkey fuck.  ACK!

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: March 25, 2013, 01:06:43 PM

There were some pretty awesome, evocative, and immersive COH MA missions, and the authors only had text to work with.

Also, as a MUD builder, this is the point where I tell all the voiceover people to get off my lawn.  why so serious?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #269 on: March 25, 2013, 01:14:55 PM

EQ2 was also my clue that voiceovers were better in practice than they worked in theory. For an MMO, they are just crazy talk. Until such times as the worlds ARE evocatively real, are something we can experience rather than quest hubs, loot bags and drones, there's no need for scripted voiceovers because it's just expensive and not worthwhile.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: March 25, 2013, 01:25:00 PM

For an MMO, they are just crazy talk. Until such times as the worlds ARE evocatively real, are something we can experience rather than quest hubs, loot bags and drones, there's no need for scripted voiceovers because it's just expensive and not worthwhile.

Anyone remember SWTOR?  How many millions were wasted on voice acting? 

Love the housing stuff.  LOVE IT!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #271 on: March 25, 2013, 01:26:24 PM

Someone shot the 40ish minute press demo from PAX East.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtl_tBRPWDU

stuff about housing and some of the higher level zones

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: March 25, 2013, 02:23:59 PM

For an MMO, they are just crazy talk. Until such times as the worlds ARE evocatively real, are something we can experience rather than quest hubs, loot bags and drones, there's no need for scripted voiceovers because it's just expensive and not worthwhile.

Anyone remember SWTOR?  How many millions were wasted on voice acting? 

Love the housing stuff.  LOVE IT!

I wouldn't say it was wasted, the voice acting was great.  It's the rest of the game that they fucked up.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: March 25, 2013, 03:28:15 PM

I do hope they use this as a box pull-quote.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #274 on: March 25, 2013, 07:44:10 PM

SWTOR's whole voice acting idea was great and was a worthwhile investment for a triple-A take at trying to be a new major MMO

too bad about the rest of it, innit
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #275 on: March 26, 2013, 09:42:29 AM

I do hope they use this as a box pull-quote.

I should have put in TM.  why so serious?

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: March 26, 2013, 10:11:05 AM

This actually looks really freaking fun.  Have been loosely following it for a while, but starting to get kinda giddy for it.  I get combat is pretty typical MMO, but it is 4 toolbars full of abilities MMO or more like 8-10 abilities that really shine with positioning and being smart about what you use when/where?
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #277 on: March 27, 2013, 09:53:23 AM

This actually looks really freaking fun.  Have been loosely following it for a while, but starting to get kinda giddy for it.  I get combat is pretty typical MMO, but it is 4 toolbars full of abilities MMO or more like 8-10 abilities that really shine with positioning and being smart about what you use when/where?

http://wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/how-do-you-feel-about-limited-action-sets.1225/

Looks like limited action sets have been mentioned. I also saw footage of a guy camming the PAX demo on two different characters - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veB3Qf6dvgE&sns=em

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: March 27, 2013, 10:11:55 AM

http://wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/how-do-you-feel-about-limited-action-sets.1225/

Looks like limited action sets have been mentioned. I also saw footage of a guy camming the PAX demo on two different characters - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veB3Qf6dvgE&sns=em

That dude looked terribad at playing.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: March 27, 2013, 10:17:35 AM

That OP made an interesting point about in-combat meditation.  Normally you cant switch skills during combat but a (very) few games have meditation or pop-out-of-combat ability, wherein if undisturbed you can swap abilities.  I'm all for limited sets but only if they have such a meditation ability; which for me is a damned awesome feature - reminds me of a typical Mage in a tabletop game.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 98 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  
Jump to: