Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:30:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: EvE Devs play with BoB. Investigation in progress....New Scandal page 9! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EvE Devs play with BoB. Investigation in progress....New Scandal page 9!  (Read 441131 times)
Drogo
Terracotta Army

Reply #700 on: June 11, 2007, 04:23:39 PM

It is getting so that CCP cannot even go a month without a major scandal or other PR nightmare exploding in their laps. The real fun of EVE is not internet spaceships, but rather the forum drama that surrounds it.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #701 on: June 11, 2007, 04:29:49 PM

Personal emails and some RL names, where people signed their emails and so on. DB Preacher's name, for instance - and, apparently, all of his colleagues at Rockstar North think he's an idiot outside of EVE too.
(ZOMG devs in BoB  cheesy)

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #702 on: June 11, 2007, 04:33:12 PM

Oh, so it was just personal emails and stuff like that. Good, because for a second there i thought they'd gone and suffed something else up.

Emails with real names, job titles, company info, telephone numbers plus the complete forum & game account warning/banning incident history of individual accounts, I'm tempted to link an extensive account history but don't want to cause trouble.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #703 on: June 11, 2007, 05:12:14 PM

Just how freaking stupid are they that volunteers would have access to this stuff in the first place?

It's established that no matter how well-meaning they are, they are precisely this freaking stupid:

Oh, doesn't fit on the screen width. Support suggests that you try a wider screen.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #704 on: June 11, 2007, 05:21:43 PM

I'm tempted to link an extensive account history but don't want to cause trouble.
So, what if you just, you know, linked to somewhere where someone else linked to a place that is actually hosting this?  I don't think you could get in trouble for linking to a link to a place wink.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #705 on: June 11, 2007, 05:25:04 PM

Just post in useless conversation with a strange paragraph where the first letter of each word can be used to derive some hidden meaning. I do that all the time.

Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #706 on: June 11, 2007, 05:40:48 PM

It's not the the BoB vs. Goonfleet  stuff either. His disdain for empire guys like me is quite obvious as well.

I got the impression that CCP sneers at anyone they consider losers. And that's anyone being beaten by "the winners". BoB is the winners. The rest of us are chumps losers who deseve everthing BoB wants to do to us.

As for today's Dramabomb, it appers to have been deleted off SHC (not surprising) AND superspyhackers K's site (which very much is).  Why would K NOT want to put mud on CCP's face (again)? A ISD volentter posts a years worth of internal and customer corrsspondence for the public (before it got deleted everywhere).The only thing I've read of scandel is a noted BoB/MC(?) player said he hadn't got any warnings, and it was posted that he indeed, had.

Also that BoB diplomat/object of hatred/loser of mothership DB Preacher is a developer at Rock Star Games(?!?).

However, it seems CCP acted VERY quickly this time, though there's a lot of questions on how a ISD volunteer got access to real players names/address/phone numbers etc.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 06:01:01 PM by Comstar »

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #707 on: June 11, 2007, 05:53:29 PM

I'm inclined to think that most large companies think all of their consumer customers are losers. The disconnect with CCP is that some of their employees are also their consumer customers.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #708 on: June 11, 2007, 08:40:30 PM

So, tell me again, why is it surprising that a developer not working for CCP might be a hardcore Eve player?

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Ratadm
Terracotta Army

Reply #709 on: June 11, 2007, 08:47:17 PM

So, tell me again, why is it surprising that a developer not working for CCP might be a hardcore Eve player?

--Dave
Pretty sure there is none.  DBP has talked about being a dev for rockstar on sch when there was discussion about the relationship between devs and players.  Although I honestly don't see why people care that much about who people are out of games.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #710 on: June 11, 2007, 10:07:18 PM

--Dave

Says the red name.  tongue

DBP, from what I've gathered of rumors, works on the GTA series for Rockstar North. Why is this interesting? Because the emails whining about being called names on an internet forum contrast strongly with his senior position on one of the series that has been more or less a media darling for the videogame violence debate.

Remember kids, it's okay to beat a hooker, but not to write nasty things on the interwebs!

The way this information was found out, supposedly, is that the emails to ISD contained his real name and email address, which were quickly Internet Detectived to his occupation.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #711 on: June 11, 2007, 10:11:24 PM

That's another big minus for MMOG volunteer programs then. As if it didn't end horribly for pretty much every other MMOG that's used one and has had over (say) 5 000 players.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #712 on: June 11, 2007, 10:55:14 PM

It's well past time for CCP to take the easy way out and cancel the volunteer programs entirely. Hell, they can buy some properly written forum software while they're at it. Normally, I'd just suggest that they tighten up security on their existing programs but honestly, I don't think they're bright enough to do it at this point. Best just to shut it all down.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #713 on: June 12, 2007, 01:49:42 AM

I liked the email from James Don (Fix Chairman), saying that they needed the loot from the C-7 complex because they were under immense pressure and "really needed the income", quick.

But yes, that whole thing was made for me when one of dbp's colleagues mentioned that they had a party ("just a little one") when he broke his leg.  It makes sense that he's a colossal arse IRL, too.  I have a mate at Rockstar (it's just a hundred or so yards from my house) who I'm probably drinking with on Friday: I'll be asking him about the truth of our Andy's unpopularity in work.

Oh, and Sir Molle isn't far away from a forum permaban: 8 warnings at the last count, and two bans so far.

Edit:  Oh, and if you want some quality sci-fi, don't read Dark Shikari's ripping yarn.  It begins: "It was morning in Kladconia, a province of Rotor, the second planet of the Aksonian system."  It might not be the Isaac Asimov story it rips off, but give that lad a few years and he'll have his own, terrifying religion.  Hail Xenu!

Incompetent CCP idiots, keeping private info where it can be so easily compromised by an unpaid volunteer. Bob and pets seem to be those most affected, though, so I doubt if they'll sue their pals at CCP (which they'd be quite entitled to do, under EU law at least). I guess the trouble with being down with the devs is that the devs take you down with them.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 02:17:36 AM by Endie »

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #714 on: June 12, 2007, 04:31:55 AM

edit: never mind

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #715 on: June 12, 2007, 04:42:00 AM

YEAH, YOU BETTER TAKE THAT BACK !

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #716 on: June 12, 2007, 06:35:52 AM

Now I want to know what was edited! :(

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #717 on: June 12, 2007, 07:20:22 AM

CCP's PR team strikes again! Seems that Scrapheap Challenge is about on a par with Goonswarm in CCP's eyes:

Quote from: Calmdown
Wrangler has informed me that SHC has a reputation with CCP for being a place to bash ISD and CCP, something which we already knew. This is largely due to the fact that CCP will not take public criticism on their own forums. That does not mean that SHC is anti-CCP or anti-ISD. If it was, we wouldn't have 25000 posts in the ship setups forums. We wouldn't have people discussing why they love this game, people helping newbies to fit their ships, or people talking about balance issues in a game that they love. You have to take the bad with the good, CCP; SHC is a fair place where you will get both compliments and criticism. This forum has never been anything but, at it's heart, an Eve forum. It is run and populated by players who have, particularly over the last few months, been extremely concerned about the more trollish and 'bad' posts that we get here. It is not a forum of people who hate you, and I'm sure any of you who read it much know that.

Now, it seems that in CCP's minds, even if they haven't posted it in so many words, SHC was in some way responsible for this. If they think that, then so be it. This forum has never had their blessing before, and it certainly doesn't nor will ever have now. CCP, if you wish to count us among your 'enemies' by blaming us for this outbreak rather than looking at why your own systems failed and this happened in the first place, then so be it. We still don't count you as an enemy. You produce a game that we love (or in my case, loved) and we respect that. But if my respect falls on deaf ears, then so be it. I'm not going to shoulder blame for you, and I will not have my community and moderators dragged through the mud to further your own agendas.

Alienating the top 3rd party fansite for your game while your company name is already mud takes a special kind of genius.

Like I said elsewhere: CCP are hobbyists trying to run a business, and they will keep making mistake after mistake until they try to get a little more professional, or until they go bust.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #718 on: June 12, 2007, 07:51:36 AM

They're making the OSI of ten years ago look like rocket scientists at this point. Honest to God, I'd never have believed any game company could out stupid OSI circa 1998-99 or so. And worst of all they aren't even making new mistakes.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #719 on: June 12, 2007, 08:15:23 AM

Kind of sad how CCP has gone from The Good Guys to Incompetent Devs at Company X over the past year. 
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #720 on: June 12, 2007, 08:22:57 AM

...and CCP has apologized to SHC.
That's, what, two apologies by CCP in two days after badmouthing parts of their playerbase? A new record, surely.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #721 on: June 12, 2007, 08:28:16 AM

CCP was always the incompetent guy, its just before they were the lovable idiot instead of the plain old idiot.

Having SHC hate isn't surprising, as it seems SHC is the unofficial retreat where all the banned EVE-O forum whores go. Mostly the people who point out all of CCP's flaws :p

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #722 on: June 12, 2007, 08:37:14 AM

Kind of sad how CCP has gone from The Good Guys to Incompetent Devs at Company X over the past year. 

It is a radical transformation.  That said, I don't think the bumbling incompetence is really their biggest problem, in those terms.

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #723 on: June 12, 2007, 08:38:26 AM

...and CCP has apologized to SHC.
That's, what, two apologies by CCP in two days after badmouthing parts of their playerbase? A new record, surely.

Which was the first apology?

Twitter - Endieposts

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #724 on: June 12, 2007, 08:40:50 AM

The CEO of CCP apologizing to most of Goonswarm after that Ten Ton Hammer interview.

Probably through gritted teeth. :D

Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #725 on: June 12, 2007, 08:49:45 AM

--Dave

Shh. We're not supposed to play games.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #726 on: June 12, 2007, 08:50:49 AM

The CEO of CCP apologizing to most of Goonswarm after that Ten Ton Hammer interview.

Probably through gritted teeth. :D

Oooh, linky, please?  I want to post and congratulate him gracefully and condescendingly on apologising for his company when they abuse their single biggest customer-group.

Twitter - Endieposts

Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #727 on: June 12, 2007, 09:05:00 AM

Incompetent CCP idiots, keeping private info where it can be so easily compromised by an unpaid volunteer. Bob and pets seem to be those most affected, though, so I doubt if they'll sue their pals at CCP (which they'd be quite entitled to do, under EU law at least). I guess the trouble with being down with the devs is that the devs take you down with them.

No, CCP are naive for letting volunteers read support email. The prize incompetent idiot is the twat at Rockstar who sends emails to all and sundry with a signature block containing his full name and address. Also, more fool you for thinking "BoB and pets" are some happy real life entity. They're a bunch of people who play together in a game, and would have as little problem suing each other as they would CCP if it came down to it. I suspect that the idiot who emailed all his personal info unsolicited to an email account monitored by numerous unknown people will probably just try to slink away with his tail between his legs however.

In the Goon sponsored group think perhaps. To me they've always been a bunch of fannish beer swilling heavy metal kids from Iceland. Most games companies aren't set up like IBM or JP Morgan, and expecting them to behave in that manner is daft.

Vinadil
Terracotta Army

Reply #728 on: June 12, 2007, 09:59:46 AM

I don't claim to know the CCP Devs personally... but I have had experience with their game and community for 3 periods of time over the last 3 years (about 1.5 years of actual gametime), and I cannot say that they come off as anything but responsive and competent... as game designers.

I think most of this issue is completely about 0.0 space and the "end-game".  Obviously it DOES impact a large part of the active player base... buuut, I wonder just how much this is a case of squeaky wheels getting the grease.  Fact is there is a whole world that flies below the radar of all of these things and could care less about most of them.  The day-to-day gameplay is the same when I just re-upped my Sub (2 weeks ago) as it was in April 2006 (when I last turned it off).

As a game design model... the thing is amazing on so many levels.  Sustained growth over time?  Completely stable player-run economy?  PvP driven game with a Heavy death penalty that still has growth in active players (not just subs)... they do a whole lot of things right or else they are just REALLY lucky.

I guess it is hard for me to be Too hard on the guys when they obviously know something about making games... I don't expect them to be master PR pro's.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #729 on: June 12, 2007, 10:11:49 AM

I don't expect them to be PR pros either but seriously. They're out of niche game status now. They should hire real people to handle the community and PR at this point.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #730 on: June 12, 2007, 10:28:39 AM

Shh. We're not supposed to play games.
Playing games is fine. Cheating at games isn't.

Oooh, linky, please?  I want to post and congratulate him gracefully and condescendingly on apologising for his company when they abuse their single biggest customer-group.
http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=535165&page=2#59
I thought I jump in here, to prevent any further misunderstanding of what I actually said and meant.

I have met many Goonswarm pilots both in-game and out-of-game and I know they are only trying to enjoy the game like everyone else, and are far removed from all the stuff that has been happening lately. That comment I made pertains to those very few that seem to be masterminding the never ending attacks on CCP.

To the question if I actually play the game then the answer is yes, as I have stated many times before. That quote on the Doomsday device makes no sense to me also, so I must assume the editor simply misquoted, which is not that uncommon with phone interviews.

Now how about some positive posts about my other excellent comments ?  wink

I don't expect them to be PR pros either but seriously. They're out of niche game status now. They should hire real people to handle the community and PR at this point.
This. Sorry, but once your game have more active subs than Everquest, you don't get to act like you're just running a glorified private server which you're deigning to let people play on for money. What if SOE had pulled half the crap CCP's done in the last year - would they be getting a bye?

SansWetware
Terracotta Army

Reply #731 on: June 12, 2007, 11:05:44 AM

It isn't so much a "bye."  People from all corners comment on how poorly they handle almost everything community related.  All anyone can do is play or not play. 

Kugutsumen's internet detecting makes them look terrible... to people who are already writing about them and people who will seemingly continue to pay for their product. 
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #732 on: June 13, 2007, 12:48:50 AM

What if SOE had pulled half the crap CCP's done in the last year - would they be getting a bye?

Eh, they pretty much did. But you know, the company never kicked your dog and so your level of outrage seems excessive. I'm all for sitting back, enjoying the incompetence and eating popcorn, but the amount of frothing in this thread is bizarre.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #733 on: June 13, 2007, 12:51:24 AM

I think you're exaggerating a little Righ.  Only 50% of the participants in the thread want to head over to Iceland and string these guys up from lightpoles.

:-D

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Shavnir
Terracotta Army

Reply #734 on: June 13, 2007, 01:21:41 AM

All this stuff just makes me glad I never played beyond the 7 day trial.  Who would want to play a game when the developers are known cheaters?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: EvE Devs play with BoB. Investigation in progress....New Scandal page 9!  
Jump to: