Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:32:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400593 times)
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #14490 on: May 22, 2011, 06:59:32 AM

I am posting this from heaven. Its awesome. We all have fiber optic internet and unlimited Steam credits.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #14491 on: May 22, 2011, 07:29:01 AM

I just did my first 5k. Gun time 37:14, Net time 36:42, Pace 11:49, which is kind of sucky but hey I finished! Also I was at a tequila party until late last night, that definitely did not help. :(

I trained a bit on the treadmill before climbing but I've never ran more than a mile at once before. It was pretty different. I also wore vibrams. Which are awesome.

Now, I can say definitively that vertical movement is better than horizontal.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 07:32:47 AM by bhodi »
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #14492 on: May 22, 2011, 10:02:00 AM

So, I've been learning to cook this year.  Been acquiring spices and utensils as I do different things.  Yesterday, I decided that I'm doing it frequently enough that I needed a decent general-purpose chopping/dicing knife, as the one from the $19 knife set from 20 years ago wasn't doing the trick anymore.  So I picked up a $15 8" Chef's knife yesterday while running errands.

Just finished prepping some clam chowder.  My prep time was halved by the new knife!  Go figure, good tools make life easier.   awesome, for real

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #14493 on: May 22, 2011, 05:45:27 PM

Has anyone else ever read that as Minivaner?

MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #14494 on: May 22, 2011, 05:47:52 PM

I always see "Minivan."

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #14495 on: May 22, 2011, 06:20:10 PM

<----  by popular request...   awesome, for real

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14496 on: May 22, 2011, 08:55:47 PM

Phantom Limb was right, serrated knives are only for bread.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14497 on: May 23, 2011, 08:47:48 AM

My Victorinox serrated steak knives are amazing. I had one at the grill and decided I wanted to piece out a chicken that I had halved. It cut through the chicken joints like butter. Really love that set of knives. But for most knives, I agree serration isn't optimal. My main knife is an 8" chef that my mother gave me for xmas about six years ago, not a great knife but it's been good for sharpening practice and will hold a decent edge for a while.

To Minvaren: learn to sharpen and hone. Life is better with sharp tools. Knives I can do easy, axes I'm getting better. This year I'm going to tackle planes/chisels and my mower blade.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #14498 on: May 23, 2011, 08:58:31 AM

Speaking of sharpening - I'm beginning to think trying to sharpen a mulching mower blade without access to a grinding wheel is an exercise in futility.  Anyone have any tips before I go buy the aforementioned wheel?  I've tried metal files (takes too fucking long) a Dremel (too small) and one of those wheels you affix to your drill. (Doesn't do the angles on the mulching blade.)

I'd pay to have it sharpened by a mower place but they want as much as the grinding wheel itself at Harbor Freight, plus 2-3 days.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14499 on: May 23, 2011, 09:52:24 AM

I used a wheel that was on a motor in my basement (came with the house) and burned the shit out of my hatchet. Now, I was using my cheap shitty hatchet to see how it worked, but lesson learned. You want to make sure it's not too high rpm, right kind of wheel, etc. Also going to need a method to keep the blade cool. Because my next lesson was in cold filing a new edge on the axe, removing all the scorched metal. And the hatchet still sucks!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #14500 on: May 23, 2011, 10:27:38 AM

My wife is agitating for a thousand+ dollar knife set, complete with magnetic holder (now those damn things are fucking awesome).

She really wants ceramic knives, but she's clumsy enough that they'd start shattering in a year or two. Won't cut herself with the knife, but banging it into things or dropping it is likely sooner or later.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #14501 on: May 23, 2011, 10:39:40 AM

A thousand bucks for knives? That's insane.  Although if you actually did it you would have every right to that new PC you've been wanting.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #14502 on: May 23, 2011, 11:32:42 AM

My wife is agitating for a thousand+ dollar knife set, complete with magnetic holder (now those damn things are fucking awesome).

She really wants ceramic knives, but she's clumsy enough that they'd start shattering in a year or two. Won't cut herself with the knife, but banging it into things or dropping it is likely sooner or later.

I'm fond of Forschner with the fibrox handles, cheap and effective.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #14503 on: May 23, 2011, 12:03:09 PM

I've heard good things about the Victorinox knives, but they're definitely for the more budget conscious.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #14504 on: May 23, 2011, 12:03:30 PM

We got a very expensive set of knives when we first got married (~$800, IIRC) and I have to say that it was a damned good investment.  They've stayed super sharp the entire time with just minimal sharpening.  We use them every day.  
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #14505 on: May 23, 2011, 12:08:35 PM

Since we're on knives, any suggestions for getting a set sharpened?  I don't really want to try doing it myself and while possibly not the greatest set going, we got this set when we got married and it's done us fine so far.  The edges are just getting dull now and it shows when trying to cut things.  The knives are physically fine (even the wooden handles are still in good shape and I run them through the dishwasher), just need sharpening.  Should I just take them up the the local Ace Hardware and ask to have someone do it there and hope they know what to do?

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14506 on: May 23, 2011, 12:10:34 PM

Today at the gym, I worked out with Greg Olsen and Matt Forte of the Chicago Bears.

And by worked out, I mean that I was sitting on a bench doing military presses and their asses were uncomfortably close to my face while they were both doing dumbbell rows.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14507 on: May 23, 2011, 12:14:52 PM

Since we're on knives, any suggestions for getting a set sharpened?  I don't really want to try doing it myself and while possibly not the greatest set going, we got this set when we got married and it's done us fine so far.  The edges are just getting dull now and it shows when trying to cut things.  The knives are physically fine (even the wooden handles are still in good shape and I run them through the dishwasher), just need sharpening.  Should I just take them up the the local Ace Hardware and ask to have someone do it there and hope they know what to do?
Do you not have a cutlery store in your area?
WayAbvPar

Reply #14508 on: May 23, 2011, 12:19:00 PM

Today at the gym, I worked out with Greg Olsen and Matt Forte of the Chicago Bears.

And by worked out, I mean that I was sitting on a bench doing military presses and their asses were uncomfortably close to my face while they were both doing dumbbell rows.

If they don't get shit settled soon they will be handing out towels in September.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #14509 on: May 23, 2011, 12:25:15 PM

I have got to stop reading my alumni newsletter.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #14510 on: May 23, 2011, 12:26:08 PM

Feeling old?   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #14511 on: May 23, 2011, 12:27:00 PM

A thousand bucks for knives? That's insane.  Although if you actually did it you would have every right to that new PC you've been wanting.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Damn skippy. :) PC's on the list for after my job situation is straightened out. I just can't convince myself to spend that sort of money when my employment ends in September.

As for knives -- a thousand bucks is about right for a decent, semi-professional set. (Professional knives cost a LOT more). I can't recall how many different blades come with that -- but as a chef, a "decent" knife starts at 70 to 100 bucks a pop.

GOOD knives run up to 200 or so.

Rhyssa: As for sharpening them: Don't do it yourself. You can probably contact any cutlery store (or place like Williams Sonoma even) and simply ask. They'll be able to direct you to someone who can do a proper job. Won't be cheap, but will be cheaper than a new set of knives. But doing it yourself is called "Ruining the blades and needing a new set of knives". I've yet to see a 'home kit' for sharpening knives that did anything but fuck up the edges. They may seem fine, but they'll wear out super-fast.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #14512 on: May 23, 2011, 12:44:31 PM

A classmate is going to start as a CNN anchor in June.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #14513 on: May 23, 2011, 01:40:40 PM

Since we're on knives, any suggestions for getting a set sharpened?  I don't really want to try doing it myself and while possibly not the greatest set going, we got this set when we got married and it's done us fine so far.  The edges are just getting dull now and it shows when trying to cut things.  The knives are physically fine (even the wooden handles are still in good shape and I run them through the dishwasher), just need sharpening.  Should I just take them up the the local Ace Hardware and ask to have someone do it there and hope they know what to do?

As much as cooking snobs dislike sharpening gadgets, I quite like the Chef's Choice Model 120 or 130 for sharpening middle of the road knives.  It's not going to be quite as good as a professional sharpening, but I've been very happy with the results, particularly since they're achievable in a minute or two per knife.  The only real downsides to it is that it's a little spendy ($120-150) and the guides leave scuffs on the flat portion of the blade about 3/4" up from the edge with continued use - I don't care about the latter, since I only really care if the edge is sharp.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 01:46:17 PM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #14514 on: May 23, 2011, 02:31:51 PM

@Morat - I never even thought at asking at Williams Sonoma.  I love going in that place but it tends to slap me in the face with the fact that I can't (or rather, don't care to) cook, yet all the really cool stuff!!!  And I honestly don't know if there is a cutlery place around, but there should be something around here.

@MisterNoisy - hmm.. these weren't the most expensive knives going back when we got them 18 years ago, so they don't owe anyone anything.  But if sharpening ends up being too expensive, maybe something like that will work instead.  Right now, it's better than buying a new set of knives just because these are dull.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14515 on: May 23, 2011, 02:44:26 PM

A classmate is going to start as a CNN anchor in June.
Yeah reading my alumni newsletter is like "Soandso is a billionaire now, what have you done lately?"
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #14516 on: May 23, 2011, 02:45:47 PM

I took all of my Mom's knives into a dumpy little shoe repair place with a "Knives Sharpened Here" sign at the local mall to be sharpened. It cost 3 or 4 bucks a piece and they did a great job. I don't think knife sharpening is exactly rocket science.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #14517 on: May 23, 2011, 02:50:54 PM

I took all of my Mom's knives into a dumpy little shoe repair place with a "Knives Sharpened Here" sign at the local mall to be sharpened. It cost 3 or 4 bucks a piece and they did a great job. I don't think knife sharpening is exactly rocket science.
It depends on how good the knives are.

Top-end knives? It's like having a sword sharpened. A real one, not a Ren-faire knock off. You DON'T want a monkey with a grinder even touching it.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14518 on: May 23, 2011, 03:04:13 PM

@Morat - I never even thought at asking at Williams Sonoma.  I love going in that place but it tends to slap me in the face with the fact that I can't (or rather, don't care to) cook, yet all the really cool stuff!!!  And I honestly don't know if there is a cutlery place around, but there should be something around here.

@MisterNoisy - hmm.. these weren't the most expensive knives going back when we got them 18 years ago, so they don't owe anyone anything.  But if sharpening ends up being too expensive, maybe something like that will work instead.  Right now, it's better than buying a new set of knives just because these are dull.
This isn't Twitter, use the quote button.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #14519 on: May 23, 2011, 03:08:33 PM

This isn't Twitter, use the quote button.
When I'm at work, I use what works best.  Since I'm forced to use IE, I limit myself to how much text is in the text box since too much and the scroll bar starts jumping around and what I'm typing is out of sight.  As it is now but I'm pausing to scroll and make sure no typos abound.  Besides, why stick a quote in there just to answer someone when all you really need is to indicate who you are replying to.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #14520 on: May 23, 2011, 03:44:30 PM

When I'm at work, I use what works best.  Since I'm forced to use IE, I limit myself to how much text is in the text box since too much and the scroll bar starts jumping around and what I'm typing is out of sight.  As it is now but I'm pausing to scroll and make sure no typos abound.  Besides, why stick a quote in there just to answer someone when all you really need is to indicate who you are replying to.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Popcorn

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #14521 on: May 23, 2011, 03:54:18 PM

I thought that reply box jump around shit was just me.

Chalk another one up to the new version of IE.  Cunting thing.  Who would ever willingly install that crap ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #14522 on: May 23, 2011, 04:26:54 PM

Use the "compatiability view" button. It's right next to the refresh button. That scrollbar jumping thing is some weird-ass issue with IE8 or later.

Or rather, something IE8 or later decided to start treating differently without telling anyone. The compatability mode fixes it.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14523 on: May 23, 2011, 05:54:09 PM

Maybe I don't know what a good knife is, but my $20 Victorinox after a few swipes on a straightening steel will fly through ripe tomatoes like Chow Yun Fat.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #14524 on: May 23, 2011, 06:16:18 PM

I like my Globals and they were fairly affordable.

Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: