Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:34:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 411 412 [413] 414 415 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400920 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14420 on: May 16, 2011, 07:36:54 AM

I've associated with way too many criminals to trust a cleaning person.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #14421 on: May 16, 2011, 07:37:13 AM

I've associated with way too many criminals to trust a cleaning person.

We associate with you daily.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14422 on: May 16, 2011, 11:31:11 AM

Most cleaning people don't look inside the toilet tank, so try in there.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #14423 on: May 16, 2011, 12:49:16 PM

IT Auditor : "You transfer files with KERMIT - is that a special program, or...?"

Me : "How old are you...?"  Get off my lawn!

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14424 on: May 16, 2011, 01:57:08 PM

Downside to getting contractors to handle project work: they all want your job.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #14425 on: May 16, 2011, 02:18:45 PM

Downside to getting contractors to handle project work: they all want your job.
Naturally, once your organization has adopted some massively bureaucratic waterfall process to ensure all your projects are conforming to "best practices" the only way to get anything done is to farm it out to a contractor.  The contractor just wants on your side of the fence so he only has to talk about work w/o actually having to do any.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #14426 on: May 16, 2011, 08:34:20 PM

So that contractor gets your job then farms out work to another contractor that eventually takes THAT job...

CIRCLE OF LIFE!
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #14427 on: May 17, 2011, 04:47:52 AM

Isn't this a Dilbert cartoon?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14428 on: May 17, 2011, 06:13:34 AM

Isn't this a Dilbert cartoon?

I officially turned into Dilbert around 1999 or so.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #14429 on: May 17, 2011, 08:12:33 AM

I officially turned into Dilbert around 1999 or so.

That should make you Wally. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14430 on: May 17, 2011, 09:10:32 AM

OK, you caught me.  I'm actually Wally.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14431 on: May 17, 2011, 09:13:08 AM

I really upset an ex-girlfriend long ago by telling her my secret wish is to be the pointy-haired boss.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #14432 on: May 17, 2011, 09:18:41 AM

It's less fun than you think.

Ohhhhh, I see.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14433 on: May 17, 2011, 09:59:25 AM

I can speculate you aren't pointy-haired enough.  Me, I'm not cut out for management.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #14434 on: May 17, 2011, 11:10:11 AM

As an orthodontist I have to say that most of what I do any more is management of people.  Scott Adams is a smart dude.  He hits the nail on the head for a lot more than just corporate/engineering.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #14435 on: May 17, 2011, 11:35:20 AM

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #14436 on: May 17, 2011, 11:37:30 AM

I can't say I blame him.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #14437 on: May 17, 2011, 12:00:16 PM

I can.  He sounds like a total cunt.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #14438 on: May 17, 2011, 12:14:10 PM

I would figure that he would have to be to write something as funny and spot on as Dilbert.  I also imagined he was an absolute ass. 
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #14439 on: May 17, 2011, 12:46:20 PM

My wife's grad school bill (AKA: Time to pay back the fucking loans) is now due, which was ver  ACK!

So now I'm looking at 30k in loans, plus the 18k we still have slowly paying down (at 2.15%!). I'm thinking of consolidating the new stuff, but I heard the law changed so I can't exactly shove it down to like 1% like I used to. Also, I'm a bit distrustful of Sallie Mae these days.

I've got 5k in 'excess' that I cleverly saved and plan to send them as a first payment, but after that I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Anyone closer to school with some advice? Consolidate the new ones? (Certainly not fucking consolidating the old ones. Sometime in 2006 or so they repealed the law that let you consolidate down to whatever the current t-bill rate plus like a point was. Fuckers).

And as a pet peeve: It is a fucking impossible bitch and a half to pre-pay or pay extra on a goddamn Sallie Mae loan with automatic payments on. You have to go in and manually do it. There's no way, as far as I can tell, to say "I want to pay 70 extra bucks a month to principle". Hell, if I go in and manually make an extra payment, I'm half afraid they'll just skip my next automatic payment cause I 'already paid for that month' and I might as well do the fucking thing manuall.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #14440 on: May 17, 2011, 01:25:52 PM

Are you saying you're going to send them a $5,000 check over an above your payment?  I wouldn't do that, if I were you, unless the interest rates are high.  Money in your pocket is important, you know. 
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #14441 on: May 17, 2011, 01:30:38 PM

Are you saying you're going to send them a $5,000 check over an above your payment?  I wouldn't do that, if I were you, unless the interest rates are high.  Money in your pocket is important, you know. 
My wife had 5k in loans left over after paying her last year of school. I've kept it seperate. I was going to send it to them as a first payment, to knock 33 down to 27. I'm not sure of the rate I'm paying (the info is at home), but unless it's under 4% or so it's best to pay them. I might hold off until I switch jobs though, just in case. But basically they loaned her so much "over" for the first several years that she didn't take student aid at all the last year and still had 5k left. I made sure it only got spent on school, and kept the surplus in a seperate account.

I'm employed through the end of September, but I'm sweating the transition, so holding off four months might be a good idea.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #14442 on: May 17, 2011, 01:35:50 PM

Ah.  I understand now.  That sounds like a sound plan.  Even if the loan amount is at 5-6% it's still pretty cheap money. 
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #14443 on: May 17, 2011, 01:45:36 PM

Ah.  I understand now.  That sounds like a sound plan.  Even if the loan amount is at 5-6% it's still pretty cheap money. 
Debt wise I have a maximum of 4k in credit cards (every card me and my wife have, if they were taken to their maximum limit -- although I need to swap mine, I can cut the rate in half if I go through my credit union), a half-paid off car that I technically don't owe a payment on until September, a house at 6% that's pretty much exactly half paid off (and I might pay off in full this year due to an inheritance) and...student loans.

The credit cards we'd just keep using, although I deliberately keep the limits low (I outright canceled the last card that kept upping my limit without permission or so much as notifying me), so in terms of 'low-hanging, high interest fruit' it's...student loans or the car. And student loans have these ridiculously long pay off periods.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #14444 on: May 17, 2011, 01:50:06 PM

And student loans have these ridiculously long pay off periods.

They do, but that can work out to your benefit if you can pay a little extra on them once you get re-employed.  Paying an extra bit on the principal every month, even if it is just a little, can make a big difference down the road.  Of course all this is stuff you know. 
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #14445 on: May 17, 2011, 01:54:18 PM

My wife had 5k in loans left over after paying her last year of school. I've kept it seperate. I was going to send it to them as a first payment, to knock 33 down to 27. I'm not sure of the rate I'm paying (the info is at home), but unless it's under 4% or so it's best to pay them. I might hold off until I switch jobs though, just in case. But basically they loaned her so much "over" for the first several years that she didn't take student aid at all the last year and still had 5k left. I made sure it only got spent on school, and kept the surplus in a seperate account.

I'm employed through the end of September, but I'm sweating the transition, so holding off four months might be a good idea.

If it's student loan interest that qualifies to be deducted as an adjustment to income (i.e. you get a form at year end telling you your deductible student loan interest), your marginal tax rate is actually an additional discount to your interest rate to determine the real rate of interest.

It's probably smarter to pay off a car loan (which isn't deductible anywhere, and if it's on your Prius you probably didn't get zero percent financing) then it is to pay off either the student loan or the home mortgage (if you itemize).
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #14446 on: May 17, 2011, 03:27:08 PM

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #14447 on: May 17, 2011, 03:27:18 PM

I would figure that he would have to be to write something as funny one-sided and spot onhateful as Dilbert.  I also imagined he was an absolute ass. 

It wasn't until the cartoon that I realized Dilbert was as big an asshat as the rest. I'm not sure what shifted there, but he's not just the hapless guy caught in the chaos, he's just the guy whose viewpoint you're seeing.  Meaning the perception of the other characters is skewed deliberately to the negative, because Dilbert hates his life and himself.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #14448 on: May 17, 2011, 03:36:38 PM

If it's student loan interest that qualifies to be deducted as an adjustment to income (i.e. you get a form at year end telling you your deductible student loan interest), your marginal tax rate is actually an additional discount to your interest rate to determine the real rate of interest.

It's probably smarter to pay off a car loan (which isn't deductible anywhere, and if it's on your Prius you probably didn't get zero percent financing) then it is to pay off either the student loan or the home mortgage (if you itemize).
With this new loan, I might actually itemize this year -- but previously itemization was falling well under the standard deduction. (Closer, now that I can use a table to deduct sales taxes -- Texas HAS no income tax). But our house is modest, until this year the student loans were modest (and still, 30k for a double master's isn't too bad, as those things go). I have to make sure to check into the forgiveness programs for teachers, though, to see if she can get some removed.

And no, sadly no zero percent financing but I've got maybe another 18 months and it's paid off. I really hope to get the house paid off this year. I know I should probably invest the inheritance, but it's pretty much exactly the right amount and I pay 6.5% on the house -- not sure I can get better. Instead, I can take my mortgage payment and send it all to savings. It'll suck having to figure out the actual taxes and the like, but I'd be saving tens of thousands of dollars over the next decade.

Ghost: I'd love to pay more each month, but currently Sallie Mae makes it a fucking bitch to do so. I have it autopay monthly, right? To pay "extra" -- as best I can tell -- I have to go in and manually make another payment. I've been meaning to call them and try to get it done automatically.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #14449 on: May 17, 2011, 03:39:53 PM

Morat - Do what I do. Don't autopay via the servicer, autopay via your bank.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #14450 on: May 17, 2011, 03:41:25 PM

Morat - Do what I do. Don't autopay via the servicer, autopay via your bank.
Ooh...I hadn't thought of that.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #14451 on: May 17, 2011, 03:44:47 PM

If I remember correctly, doesn't setting up a EBT with the servicer result in an interest rate reduction? If so, wouldn't paying via the bank miss out on that benefit?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #14452 on: May 17, 2011, 03:51:13 PM

If I remember correctly, doesn't setting up a EBT with the servicer result in an interest rate reduction? If so, wouldn't paying via the bank miss out on that benefit?
Yeah, but it's like a quarter point. If I pay (pulling a number out of my ass) say, 100 bucks a month for 15 years at 2.15% through autopay or 110 at 2.35% through the bank, PLUS another say -- 50 bucks a month...

I bet I save a lot over the second. A quarter point does add up over the lengthy repayment periods, yes. But I'm looking at paying like half-again as much per month as my required payment -- which adds up faster.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #14453 on: May 17, 2011, 03:57:49 PM

Make your minimum payment through the servicer, then make a second payment through the bank to take principal down faster. Saves you the interest rate points AND allows you to pay more.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #14454 on: May 17, 2011, 03:58:26 PM

Yeah, but it's like a quarter point. If I pay (pulling a number out of my ass) say, 100 bucks a month for 15 years at 2.15% through autopay or 110 at 2.35% through the bank, PLUS another say -- 50 bucks a month...

I bet I save a lot over the second. A quarter point does add up over the lengthy repayment periods, yes. But I'm looking at paying like half-again as much per month as my required payment -- which adds up faster.

So why not do both?  Set up the auto pay with the servicer and then add in the 50 per month with autopay through your bank. 
Pages: 1 ... 411 412 [413] 414 415 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: