Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:47:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400434 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #14525 on: May 23, 2011, 11:52:13 PM

Use the "compatiability view" button. It's right next to the refresh button. That scrollbar jumping thing is some weird-ass issue with IE8 or later.

Or rather, something IE8 or later decided to start treating differently without telling anyone. The compatability mode fixes it.

Everyone keeps giving me this advice.  I can assure you, it doesn't work.  Latest IE is just shite.  Utter, utter shite.  I have the new FF on this laptop and it's just so much better.  If it had the IE reminder screen and the integrated google search, it'd be perfect.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #14526 on: May 24, 2011, 03:22:40 AM

Late to the show but

I just did my first 5k. Gun time 37:14, Net time 36:42, Pace 11:49, which is kind of sucky but hey I finished! Also I was at a tequila party until late last night, that definitely did not help. :(

I trained a bit on the treadmill before climbing but I've never ran more than a mile at once before. It was pretty different. I also wore vibrams. Which are awesome.

Now, I can say definitively that vertical movement is better than horizontal.

Well done!

What made you choose to run in Vibrams (assuming you mean 5-fingers)?

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #14527 on: May 24, 2011, 04:11:27 AM

Going to visit a client.  This one intrigues me.  Who knew you could extract so much money from someone for a damn haircut.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #14528 on: May 24, 2011, 06:14:44 AM

Yeah, 5 fingers, the feety shoes. A friend convinced me to sign up and was really enthused about running in them. I had bought a pair of KSOs for rafting and water stuff, and I liked wearing them around casually, and when I started running, I tried them out and they helped my form (such as it is) and so I figured why not. I'm generally barefoot/flops in the summer when possible so I don't have any arch issues to deal with, and I'm thin which makes things easier as well.

The 5k was actually not all that horrible, I was expecting a lot more difficulty since I didn't do a lot of training for it. I firmly believe anyone could do a 5k. I guess that's the whole point of the couch to 5k program :) I didn't push myself since I wasn't really sure how 'far' it was to the end. I'd say I'd shoot for a 10k next and I'm confident I could do it given a little time, but running isn't something that I enjoyed enough so unless I had a friend who really wanted to do it, I think I'll stick with climbing.

It was cool to run farther than I ever have before, though.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #14529 on: May 24, 2011, 06:20:10 AM

Anyone tried hiking sandals?
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #14530 on: May 24, 2011, 06:22:48 AM

Use the "compatiability view" button. It's right next to the refresh button. That scrollbar jumping thing is some weird-ass issue with IE8 or later.

Or rather, something IE8 or later decided to start treating differently without telling anyone. The compatability mode fixes it.

I'll have to try the compatibility view "fix" and see if it helps.  I never even considered it wasn't just me affected by this though.  IE definitely sucks, just wish it wasn't the corporate standard. :(

But hey, at least we're moving off Lotus Notes to MS Outlook.  That's an improvement!

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #14531 on: May 24, 2011, 06:24:42 AM

A LOT of people like Luna Sandals for minimal footwear while hiking.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #14532 on: May 24, 2011, 06:50:50 AM

A LOT of people like Luna Sandals for minimal footwear while hiking.

I have never understood hiking sandals.  No ankle support and open so you can gouge/stub the shit out of your feet on uneven ground?  Susceptible to blowing out one of the straps?  Almost no padding for the soles of your feet? 

Sounds terrible.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #14533 on: May 24, 2011, 07:01:55 AM

The 5k was actually not all that horrible, I was expecting a lot more difficulty since I didn't do a lot of training for it. I firmly believe anyone could do a 5k. I guess that's the whole point of the couch to 5k program :) I didn't push myself since I wasn't really sure how 'far' it was to the end. I'd say I'd shoot for a 10k next and I'm confident I could do it given a little time, but running isn't something that I enjoyed enough so unless I had a friend who really wanted to do it, I think I'll stick with climbing.

If you've got a certain level of fitness already then training for a 10k isn't too difficult. It's only a little over 6 miles so at, say, 10 mins/mile it'll take an hour or so. (I use, as a yardstick, my wife who completed a 10k about 8 years ago in a little over an hour on the back of perhaps two training runs. And she hates running.)

Good work with the VFFs. I'm fascinated by them but am too scared/lazy/old-school to actually try them. Plus I'm not they'd be best suited for the terrain I cover.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #14534 on: May 24, 2011, 08:05:10 AM

I've got a set of Vibram KSOs I use as general duty footwear, they're surprisingly good for sharp spiky rocks and thorns, doing some desert hiking in Arizona was quite pleasant in them.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #14535 on: May 24, 2011, 08:10:28 AM

I thought that reply box jump around shit was just me.

Chalk another one up to the new version of IE.  Cunting thing.  Who would ever willingly install that crap ?

I've had to refuse to install IE9 because some of the customers we've set up with Joomla sites have reported issues updating their sites using IE9. Fucking IE. As "good" as it is in comparison to 7, even IE8 has serious fucking issues.

Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #14536 on: May 24, 2011, 08:28:25 AM

I thought that reply box jump around shit was just me.

Chalk another one up to the new version of IE.  Cunting thing.  Who would ever willingly install that crap ?

I've had to refuse to install IE9 because some of the customers we've set up with Joomla sites have reported issues updating their sites using IE9. Fucking IE. As "good" as it is in comparison to 7, even IE8 has serious fucking issues.

Most corporate-type websites I know of are just getting around to IE7 support.  I reluctantly slapped IE8 on the PCs at work after some basic testing, but forced them all to compatibility mode 100% of the time.  There's a few bugs, but not a ton.  No way would I install IE9 in a corporate environment yet...

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #14537 on: May 24, 2011, 08:28:28 AM

Yeah, 5 fingers, the feety shoes. A friend convinced me to sign up and was really enthused about running in them. I had bought a pair of KSOs for rafting and water stuff, and I liked wearing them around casually, and when I started running, I tried them out and they helped my form (such as it is) and so I figured why not. I'm generally barefoot/flops in the summer when possible so I don't have any arch issues to deal with, and I'm thin which makes things easier as well.

It was cool to run farther than I ever have before, though.

Congrats on the 5K!   I've been tempted by the Vibrams, but right now I've got a pair of Brooks I like so I'm not in a huge hurry to ditch them.

And yah, the C25K program is really fantastic for getting people over the mental hurdle of running more than a mile.   Its what I used last year to  start.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #14538 on: May 24, 2011, 04:52:01 PM

Today at the gym, I worked out with Greg Olsen and Matt Forte of the Chicago Bears.

And by worked out, I mean that I was sitting on a bench doing military presses and their asses were uncomfortably close to my face while they were both doing dumbbell rows.

On Sunday I was in Portland and someone in a Range Rover with giant rims and an ODEN license plate passed us... I wonder if she was Greg Oden's mistress.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #14539 on: May 24, 2011, 08:59:05 PM

I guess Texas didn't feel like it was redneck enough already.  They are set to allow noodling

That's just some crazy shit there. 

If you don't know what noodling is, you should watch this
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #14540 on: May 24, 2011, 09:32:02 PM

Yeah Noodling is weird, but I never understood why it's illegal - is it also illegal for me to hunt deer with a knife if it's open season? How about a garrote?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #14541 on: May 24, 2011, 09:34:20 PM

Maybe it's illegal because it's creepy as hell.   ACK!
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #14542 on: May 24, 2011, 09:38:54 PM

Creepy doesn't even begin to describe it. Catfish are creepy. Noodling is what perverts do to catfish.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #14543 on: May 24, 2011, 09:40:00 PM

I took all of my Mom's knives into a dumpy little shoe repair place with a "Knives Sharpened Here" sign at the local mall to be sharpened. It cost 3 or 4 bucks a piece and they did a great job. I don't think knife sharpening is exactly rocket science.
It depends on how good the knives are.

Top-end knives? It's like having a sword sharpened. A real one, not a Ren-faire knock off. You DON'T want a monkey with a grinder even touching it.

The monkey with a grinder guy in Austin does a great Job, costs me $20 to get my 5 knife set sharpened (including the serrated bread knife) it takes him less than 10 minutes and is good for about 9-12 months.  Not sure how Whustof compares in your sword analogy but the steel seems pretty damn good to me.  I suppose my only complaint is he doesn't clean em when done which leaves some pretty heavy grease residue behind, but screw it I can handle washing a knife.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #14544 on: May 24, 2011, 09:56:40 PM

The monkey with a grinder guy in Austin does a great Job, costs me $20 to get my 5 knife set sharpened (including the serrated bread knife) it takes him less than 10 minutes and is good for about 9-12 months.  Not sure how Whustof compares in your sword analogy but the steel seems pretty damn good to me.  I suppose my only complaint is he doesn't clean em when done which leaves some pretty heavy grease residue behind, but screw it I can handle washing a knife.
Dinky little shops can have great people with great skills. If it's a guy with masically a grinding wheel and a "Well, you just hold the edge on until it's fixed" attitude -- that's different.

Basically you want a guy/girl/whatever who knows how to sharpen the blades properly. Unfortunately, grinding tools -- used to sharpen things like, say, mower blades -- are pretty easy to get ahold of. Or heck, whetstones even. :)

A friend of mine had a pair of knives absolutely ruined by someone who was supposedly knew what he was doing, but what he "knew" was "hold edge on grinding wheel". Well, I'm being a bit harsh -- he was aware of the need for some sort of lubricating agent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #14545 on: May 25, 2011, 04:22:16 AM

Yeah Noodling is weird, but I never understood why it's illegal - is it also illegal for me to hunt deer with a knife if it's open season? How about a garrote?

Depletion reasons.  The reason you catch them is Catfish don't leave the nest while their young are still eggs or fry-sized because of predators.  Remove the parent and all those young fish & eggs are now tasty treats.

Also, it's dangerous and any idiot can do it, you'll have more medical runs for morons with cracked ribs or near-drownings.  Think of it like seatbelt laws there.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #14546 on: May 25, 2011, 04:57:14 AM

you'll have more medical runs for morons with cracked ribs or near-drownings.  Think of it like seatbelt laws there.

Or fingers that have been eaten off by snapping turtles.  I had a great uncle that used to noodle and he was missing several fingers on his left hand because he got a big snapper once instead of a catfish.  At least that was his story and he was too much of a nutjob for me to dispute it.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14547 on: May 25, 2011, 05:54:58 AM

Depletion reasons.  The reason you catch them is Catfish don't leave the nest while their young are still eggs or fry-sized because of predators.  Remove the parent and all those young fish & eggs are now tasty treats.

Also, it's dangerous and any idiot can do it, you'll have more medical runs for morons with cracked ribs or near-drownings.  Think of it like seatbelt laws there.

I'm fine with the first reason but not the second.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #14548 on: May 25, 2011, 06:40:37 AM

I'd be ok with letting idiots be idiots and taking whatever injuries they'd get if we didn't have to subsidize their stupidity.   Discussing it further just sends us off to politics so let's end it there.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14549 on: May 25, 2011, 07:39:38 AM

No new info to be discovered there.  My bad.

I'm leaving town Friday morning and will return on June 7.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14550 on: May 25, 2011, 08:27:51 AM

Sharpening - I use two oilstone and a Wusthof honing steel for my knives. I have a decent axe sharpening widget for my fiskars axe, but eventually I want a better set of oilstones. The pair I have are ancient and work great, but they're small, especially the polishing stone. Since the polisher is used on the fully sharpened edge...never sliced myself but always worry I will. I'd only use a grinder for reforming an edge, not sharpening.

Hiking footwear - I've got a great set of hiking boots. My criteria: comfortable (obviously!), ankle support, great traction. I do a lot of stuff on uneven and rocky surfaces, so ankle support is important.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #14551 on: May 25, 2011, 01:58:30 PM

Online advertising appears to be getting exceptionally irritating.  I'm surprised that any companies put money into this at all.  How many times have I had to close a Netflix pop up ad? A million?  And all it does is make me think very bad thoughts about Netflix.
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #14552 on: May 25, 2011, 02:03:57 PM

Wait, you say there's ads on the internet?  I don't see any ads online.   Ohhhhh, I see.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #14553 on: May 25, 2011, 02:22:40 PM

The ads themselves are starting to take up the entire screen.  Do these things work for the "new guard"?  Part of my post is concerned with the fact that I'm surprised that companies will even pay for these ads.  I suppose they work, or they wouldn't do it. 
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #14554 on: May 25, 2011, 02:29:42 PM

Dinky little shops can have great people with great skills. If it's a guy with masically a grinding wheel and a "Well, you just hold the edge on until it's fixed" attitude -- that's different.

Basically you want a guy/girl/whatever who knows how to sharpen the blades properly. Unfortunately, grinding tools -- used to sharpen things like, say, mower blades -- are pretty easy to get ahold of. Or heck, whetstones even. :)

A friend of mine had a pair of knives absolutely ruined by someone who was supposedly knew what he was doing, but what he "knew" was "hold edge on grinding wheel". Well, I'm being a bit harsh -- he was aware of the need for some sort of lubricating agent.

My family bring all of our knives to my brother-in-law's Mother's boyfriend, who looks like Grizzly Adams (heh). Last Christmas I got volunteered to carve a big ham. Grizzly sharpens up a knife and hands it to me, and it was essentially a small machete. Damn thing went through the ham like butter. Then through my thumb the same way when I was washing it off...

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #14555 on: May 25, 2011, 02:31:26 PM

The ads themselves are starting to take up the entire screen.  Do these things work for the "new guard"?  Part of my post is concerned with the fact that I'm surprised that companies will even pay for these ads.  I suppose they work, or they wouldn't do it. 

They're desperate.

Netflix and DVR's are absolutely slaughtering traditional advertising, and the number of eyeballs online is staggering. IMHO they probably get better results from the money they pay to prioritze their stuff on searches, but....
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #14556 on: May 25, 2011, 06:36:53 PM

Just installed Firefox 5.0 and it broke Google Toolbar along with my heart.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #14557 on: May 25, 2011, 08:20:36 PM

How are they on 5.0 already?  They just released 4.0!

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #14558 on: May 25, 2011, 08:27:56 PM

Yea, that was my thought as well. Within 5.0 you can either switch between release, beta or alpha features. I assume the release 5.0 is exactly the same as 4.0 at this point but with the added ability to switch between the three versions and also to make sure your add-ons are broken.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #14559 on: May 26, 2011, 05:54:30 AM

I have migrated over to Google Chrome because it seems pretty damned fast and I don't like futzing around with add ons. 
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: