Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:35:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1033 1034 [1035] 1036 1037 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3401492 times)
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #36190 on: July 07, 2017, 11:38:49 AM

EDIT: never mind
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:40:20 AM by Chimpy »

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36191 on: July 07, 2017, 11:59:28 AM

Yeah, that's what I want to do in a foreign country where I don't speak the language.

If you're not going to fall in with the ugly American stereotype how will we ever MAGA? Geez.   why so serious?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36192 on: July 07, 2017, 02:17:38 PM

While I was in Koln last Feb, it was Carnival.  There was a hilarious Trump impersonator on one of the live shows.  I'm pretty sure I do not need to advertise any agendas because the rest of the world already is watching us.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36193 on: July 07, 2017, 02:21:19 PM

Doesn't literally everyone in Berlin speak English?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36194 on: July 07, 2017, 02:24:10 PM

Probably.  It's not easy to engage local Germans in conversation, not in the southeast anyway.

EIDT: I did meet a very gregarious man from Hamburg while in a Koblenz suburb.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 02:36:56 PM by Yegolev »

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #36195 on: July 07, 2017, 06:17:33 PM

After years of pressure from my brother I signed up on OkCupid.  According to him it is one of the better sites /shrug.  Fill out questions, upload some photos, blurb about myself.  So who do they recommend as a likely match in my area? 

My motherfucking dead friend's widow...  I shit you not.    ACK!

My first reaction was one of anger (for my dead friend), but then I thought, well it has been 2 years, time for her to move on with life.  Then I read her profile and thought "hmm, that is a lie, that is a lie, and that is another lie".  Then I looked at her photos and thought "hey E is looking pretty good these days"  at which point I closed the browser and there you have it.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
schild
Administrator

Reply #36196 on: July 07, 2017, 08:12:24 PM

OkCupid is great.

Your experience is strange and not indicative of anything.

Everyone lies on the internet. Everyone.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #36197 on: July 07, 2017, 09:04:43 PM

After years of pressure from my brother I signed up on OkCupid.  According to him it is one of the better sites /shrug.  Fill out questions, upload some photos, blurb about myself.  So who do they recommend as a likely match in my area? 

My motherfucking dead friend's widow...  I shit you not.    ACK!

My first reaction was one of anger (for my dead friend), but then I thought, well it has been 2 years, time for her to move on with life.  Then I read her profile and thought "hmm, that is a lie, that is a lie, and that is another lie".  Then I looked at her photos and thought "hey E is looking pretty good these days"  at which point I closed the browser and there you have it.
Was he a Force Recon Marine?

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #36198 on: July 08, 2017, 06:26:57 AM

I did already get a Global Entry card, but little chance of a tan.

Mostly I want to know if I can spend euros in all these places or do I have to get some koruna for Prague.

EDIT: Going to drop by Auschwitz as well.

You can use Euros in Prague but you will get a shitty rate for them. Most places accept Euros but pegged at a hilariously low rate vs the Koruna. Just use an ATM to take out a bit of cash for small purchases, tips, etc and use your card for anything over about 500 CZK.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #36199 on: July 08, 2017, 07:09:53 AM

I kinda want a 'ageing F13ers try to date in the 2010s' thread. It'd be like Jimbo's missives from the ER only this time your heart is on the crash cart of modernity.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #36200 on: July 08, 2017, 08:41:20 AM

I kinda want a 'ageing F13ers try to date in the 2010s' thread. It'd be like Jimbo's missives from the ER only this time your heart is on the crash cart of modernity.
I met my wife in 2011 and married her 2 years later.

I know of at least 3 other f13ers that were roughly in the same boat and I think one of them happened through OkCupid.

I feel like this topic would be kinda unexpectedly boring. Nowhere near Jimbo's Hellhouse Stories.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #36201 on: July 08, 2017, 12:58:42 PM

I'm 44 and poly, I have no trouble getting dates.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
schild
Administrator

Reply #36202 on: July 08, 2017, 03:27:47 PM

I'm 44 and poly, I have no trouble getting dates.

I would argue that makes it easier to get dates.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #36203 on: July 08, 2017, 09:23:01 PM

[/quote]

Not getting the reference..?

he was not military. 

IANC poly? as in http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Polygender
or are you https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polynesians     why so serious?

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #36204 on: July 08, 2017, 11:18:40 PM

Pretty sure he means polyandrous.

34 and have zero problems getting dates in Eastern Europe and Asia.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #36205 on: July 09, 2017, 02:40:58 AM

Polyamorous? Polyandry is polygamy with the roles switch between men and women.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #36206 on: July 09, 2017, 03:45:40 AM

Reference is to the SPAWN comics.  Main character is a Marine who is killed, cursed by the devil, and sent back to the world of the living. He also has a nasty habit of brutally murdering pretty much every single person who ever tries to hook up with his super hot widow.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #36207 on: July 09, 2017, 05:12:03 AM

Polyamorous? Polyandry is polygamy with the roles switch between men and women.
Arg, yes, meant to type that.  Obviously way to many words that begin with poly.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #36208 on: July 09, 2017, 08:14:42 AM

I am so confused. 

About everything.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #36209 on: July 10, 2017, 07:28:35 AM

Reference is to the SPAWN comics.  Main character is a Marine who is killed, cursed by the devil, and sent back to the world of the living. He also has a nasty habit of brutally murdering pretty much every single person who ever tries to hook up with his super hot widow.
The relevant part being when he came back to Earth from Hell, he found out his best friend had married his wife.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #36210 on: July 10, 2017, 09:36:25 PM

Ahh yeah no chance there, I care about her a great deal of course, but you just don't cross some lines.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #36211 on: July 11, 2017, 01:23:24 AM

That's a strange way to think.   Surely it would be her choice, not yours ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #36212 on: July 11, 2017, 08:30:02 AM

I agree. I would be happy if my best friend was able to make my fiancee happy after I died. Better him than some stranger, really. Hell, he'd even get half of our in-jokes.
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #36213 on: July 11, 2017, 10:34:17 AM

So the robo scam callers are getting pretty heavy again. I have decided If they are going to call me I am going to answer the phone and waste their time. Sometimes the calls can be pretty entertaining.

Although I am really curious how many people fall for these calls.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36214 on: July 11, 2017, 10:53:13 AM

So the robo scam callers are getting pretty heavy again. I have decided If they are going to call me I am going to answer the phone and waste their time. Sometimes the calls can be pretty entertaining.

Although I am really curious how many people fall for these calls.

Someone did the math on this once and I wish I could find that thread since it had actual statistics in it. So instead I'll make numbers up.

Ok, assume they're calling 3 million people and only 1:100 picks up, and only 1:20 of them actually falls for it. That's only 1,500 people falling for it. Seems like it's totally not worth it, right?

If those people fall for the tax scam for only $1000 dollars, how much money is that?

1.5 million dollars.

So it doesn't take many. Crime does pay.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36215 on: July 11, 2017, 11:41:36 AM

That's an amortized payout of only $0.50 per phone call though.  Surely there are honest jobs that pay better?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36216 on: July 11, 2017, 12:47:27 PM

Well the second point is the easiest. Since they're coming from 3rd world countries, no. $0.50 per call is more than they'd make building iPhones or doing Tech Support for the US, so that 1.5mill is going a long way.

As to the number of calls; if you're robocalling the number of calls don't matter, only that someone is there to pick-up. The calls will be going out digitally faster than any human or old analog robocaller could ever achieve.

https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/6j0vrw/guy_gets_revenge_on_a_irs_phone_scamming_company/

That guy ran 28 calls/ second himself to flood the scammers. 3 million calls is achievable in 12 1/2 days at that rate. Robocallers don't have to be any slower to allow for pickups since it's all going to different numbers. They're only limited by the number of incoming lines, in case more people pick-up than you can accommodate. 

That's 120 people/ day or 15 people per hour to scam, so that's the real limiting factor. Call centers don't even handle that volume.

I went looking for real numbers, and the IRS lists these scams as costing $54 million since October 2013. That's only the people who've reported it, though.
https://www.irs.gov/uac/newsroom/phone-scams-remain-serious-threat-no-2-on-the-irs-dirty-dozen-list-of-tax-scams-for-2017

I have no love for Pai, but he reported that robocalls are currently happening at a rate of 2.4 Billion per month.
https://www.pindrop.com/irs-phone-scam-live-call_analysis/

That puts this at a 15.4 million/ year USD industry for folks living in India. That's a lot of money for a country with a GDP per capita of $1,600

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #36217 on: July 11, 2017, 01:53:00 PM

Weeeeeeeeee!

I did it!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 01:58:19 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
schild
Administrator

Reply #36218 on: July 11, 2017, 01:58:30 PM

tell him to stop scamming people
tweet about nothing other than RSI for the next two weeks
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #36219 on: July 11, 2017, 02:00:36 PM

ha ha ha..no.

I am not getting involved into game politics! My feed is 95% space with trace amounts of kittens.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #36220 on: July 11, 2017, 05:33:15 PM

And now:

I must be doing something right.

I am sorry for the showing off. I only held menial jobs (call center, waitress) so not used to be recognised. Now actual experts who don't know me find my content interesting enough to follow me. Thats a big self confidence boost! (Ill cut it out soon, promised)

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #36221 on: July 11, 2017, 05:46:49 PM

That's awesome calapine. It's nice to get that kind of affirmation once in a while.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #36222 on: July 11, 2017, 06:04:28 PM

It is awesome and worth a bit of bragging about, Calapine!  I can totally understand how you feel, too.  I was so freaking giddy when I got a friend request from one of my absolutely favorite artists ever (Michael Whelan).  I'm not even sure what prompted it, and I know he's got a gazillion people in his FB friends list, but still.... giddy!  awesome, for real

schild
Administrator

Reply #36223 on: July 11, 2017, 06:30:37 PM

my twitter account does nothing but spew obscenities and call people retards but I have a bunch of publishers and writers following me

sometimes i use real big boy words (like "fuck" and "demagoguery")
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #36224 on: July 11, 2017, 06:50:26 PM

I follow specifically for that.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Pages: 1 ... 1033 1034 [1035] 1036 1037 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: