Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:20:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1031 1032 [1033] 1034 1035 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400449 times)
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #36120 on: June 20, 2017, 02:22:23 PM

You can have mine!

Also, you can probably special order them. A friend of June's dad was a VP at Whirlpool and he talked about how they still made stuff in harvest gold in 2012 for people who wanted shit to match their 1970s decor.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #36121 on: June 20, 2017, 02:34:46 PM

171 inches annually last year on the slopes of Ben Nevis

No wonder my ancestors left that area  ACK!

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #36122 on: June 20, 2017, 03:10:23 PM

That soaking daftie lives in the west.

This is amusing considering the size of the thing.

Unrelated: I'm not finding any beige refrigerators.  Truly, we are in the Space Age.

I almost mentioned that bit.  I live in a dry, temperate climate.  70 miles north of me is a sub-arctic climate on the Cairngorm plateau. Fifty miles west of that you have Plockton and its palm trees, thirty miles from there you have 5 metres of rainfall a year on the west side of Ben Nevis. Fifty miles south of that you have Paisley which is miserable in every way.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #36123 on: June 20, 2017, 03:42:28 PM

Including being just outside Glasgow.

"They started to resist with a crust that was welded with human brain and willpower."
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36124 on: June 20, 2017, 03:45:26 PM

The game of how many microclimates you can find in a relatively small area is pretty fun; I didn't know Scotland had that much variety.  Being able to drive (or even walk) between different climates is one of my favorite things about living in California.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #36125 on: June 20, 2017, 03:49:56 PM

This never ceases to amaze me. I've spent hours a day on skype with someone from Belfast, and every time he brings up something incredibly coincidental about knowing someone on the news, I have to remind myself that his country is a quarter the size of Oregon. At least Scotland is large enough for weather patterns. It's all a focus of straaaange weather patterns up in that piece.

"They started to resist with a crust that was welded with human brain and willpower."
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #36126 on: June 20, 2017, 06:39:48 PM

Unrelated: I'm not finding any beige refrigerators.  Truly, we are in the Space Age.
Get a white one and a can of tan Rustoleum? Yeah, your choices short of custom or DIY are black, white, and brushed stainless.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #36127 on: June 20, 2017, 08:57:59 PM

WTF? Did you step on a land mine coming into the office or something?

If you wear shoes long enough the rubber falls apart.  I had a pair of dress shoes I wore every day for 3 1/2 years that did the same thing. My last 2 pairs of sneakers looked similar after a few years, though that was the grip sole being separate from the base so I lost them.

Pretty much what Merusk said. These were really old and I only wore them occasionally, I guess the sole gave up the ghost. I had no problems or impending feelings of doom last time I wore them, which made this such a surprise.

I've has the elastic in shorts crumble because I've had the them for so long. There's nothing wrong with the clothes, just old is all. Its kind of frustrating actually.

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #36128 on: June 21, 2017, 03:08:48 AM

The game of how many microclimates you can find in a relatively small area is pretty fun; I didn't know Scotland had that much variety.  Being able to drive (or even walk) between different climates is one of my favorite things about living in California.

I suspect that the reason behind that variety in both Scotland and California is similar: prevailing westerly weather coming from a coastline with a strong ocean current, and a spine of mountains to the east of it to shed rain and make for a drier easterly area.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #36129 on: June 21, 2017, 03:30:04 AM

I still say your post is the quintessential definition of false advertising.

why so serious?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36130 on: June 21, 2017, 02:19:30 PM

I almost mentioned that bit.  I live in a dry, temperate climate.  70 miles north of me is a sub-arctic climate on the Cairngorm plateau. Fifty miles west of that you have Plockton and its palm trees, thirty miles from there you have 5 metres of rainfall a year on the west side of Ben Nevis. Fifty miles south of that you have Paisley which is miserable in every way.

I was in Plockton on Sep 11, 2001.  Nice place.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36131 on: June 21, 2017, 02:20:54 PM

About the refrigerators, they do exist in beige but there isn't a filter on the Whirlpool site.  I got a model number from the Lowe's site and plugged that in: bingo.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #36132 on: June 21, 2017, 04:30:07 PM

So I got married today. Just sayin'.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
schild
Administrator

Reply #36133 on: June 21, 2017, 04:44:06 PM

Grats!

Wednesday? Courthouse? Shotgun?
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #36134 on: June 21, 2017, 06:27:09 PM

Grats or condolences, as applicable.

Since we are talking refrigerators, as of this weekend I am now 2 for 2 in replacing non-functioning ice makers. It is a really easy fix if you end up with a busted one.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #36135 on: June 21, 2017, 06:45:32 PM

Grats!

Wednesday? Courthouse? Shotgun?

Her name is Summer, today is Solstice, so made sense...

Justice of the Peace  - she was really great too.

No guns.

awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #36136 on: June 21, 2017, 08:51:24 PM

Congrats, numbers!  Picked a nice day to get married, too.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #36137 on: June 22, 2017, 09:56:22 AM

Congrats!  Have a great marriage!  Srsly.   Heart

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #36138 on: June 23, 2017, 07:26:28 AM

Well I guess I'm not going to two A Perfect Circle shows. $180 for a pair of tickets? Jesus fucking christ, I paid $15 for a ticket to see Tool on the Aenima tour and thought it was nuts paying an extra $20 for the VIP access pass. Old man, clouds, but it really fucking sucks to go from seeing dozens a concerts a year as recently as five years ago to seeing two or three because we can't afford it anymore.

Thankfully, I've almost cleared off my concert bucket list, so we're down to seeing the handful of bands worth seeing live regularly.

edit: Fridges. I keep looking for a counter depth fridge and coming up short. Apparently my counters are not counter depth.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36139 on: June 23, 2017, 07:29:04 AM

How deep are your counters? 24" is standard.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #36140 on: June 23, 2017, 08:01:22 AM

Well I guess I'm not going to two A Perfect Circle shows. $180 for a pair of tickets? Jesus fucking christ, I paid $15 for a ticket to see Tool on the Aenima tour and thought it was nuts paying an extra $20 for the VIP access pass. Old man, clouds, but it really fucking sucks to go from seeing dozens a concerts a year as recently as five years ago to seeing two or three because we can't afford it anymore.

Thankfully, I've almost cleared off my concert bucket list, so we're down to seeing the handful of bands worth seeing live regularly.

edit: Fridges. I keep looking for a counter depth fridge and coming up short. Apparently my counters are not counter depth.
Speaking of concert bucket lists. The following are playing in Austin between August and October:

VNV Nation (this'll be like the sixth time I've seen them)
Lords of Acid
Christian Death
KMFDM
Frontline Assembly (really the only thing on my bucket list)
My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult
Revolting Cocks
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #36141 on: June 23, 2017, 08:50:26 AM

Sounds about right, might even be 26". "Counter depth" fridges are all around 30" deep.

My main prep area has a slight ell to the fridge, maybe 6". So the fridge sticks out. Would be nice to gain the extra space back. I think my current fridge (the cheapest model known to man that came with the house) is around 30", single door top freezer. Hinged on the far side, one can be at the prep area and someone can open the fridge if you tuck butt. I'm thinking maybe french door, smaller model.

I think we've discussed this at some point because I vaguely remember talking about it being an external wall and not having plumbing for an ice maker/water dispenser.

I think Tom Waits is the only person left on my bucket list.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36142 on: June 23, 2017, 09:24:15 AM

Sounds about right, might even be 26". "Counter depth" fridges are all around 30" deep.

My main prep area has a slight ell to the fridge, maybe 6". So the fridge sticks out. Would be nice to gain the extra space back. I think my current fridge (the cheapest model known to man that came with the house) is around 30", single door top freezer. Hinged on the far side, one can be at the prep area and someone can open the fridge if you tuck butt. I'm thinking maybe french door, smaller model.

I think we've discussed this at some point because I vaguely remember talking about it being an external wall and not having plumbing for an ice maker/water dispenser.
They're typically designed to stick out on purpose. If they were 24" deep you couldn't get the door open without losing interior space and adding expense for the fancier hinge that's required to turn the door within the outline of the fridge's footprint. (Anyone who's done cabinets has made the "shit, I forgot about the door swing" error at some point. )

You probably want to look at higher-end fridges. SubZero has a nice line of tight undercounter fridges and drawer fridge/ freezers that are only 24" deep.
http://www.subzero-wolf.com/sub-zero/counter-refrigerator/24-inch-undercounter-beverage-center-panel-ready

I think we've discussed the water line issue, but not the 'only 24" deep' issues before.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36143 on: June 23, 2017, 10:56:58 AM

They're typically designed to stick out on purpose. If they were 24" deep you couldn't get the door open without losing interior space and adding expense for the fancier hinge that's required to turn the door within the outline of the fridge's footprint. (Anyone who's done cabinets has made the "shit, I forgot about the door swing" error at some point. )

I wish you were in SF so I could hire you as a consultant when I remodel my kitchen, because I just know based on past experience that whomever I hire is inevitably going to cock something up along those lines and I'm probably not going to catch it until I try to open the door.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #36144 on: June 23, 2017, 11:26:29 AM

Ah, didn't think about hinging because the hinge is on the side with no counter. If I went french door I'd have to consider it.

Undercounter might be interesting, I don't have large storage needs because I buy less fresh stuff more frequently and having a bit of extra counter space would be nice....

Thanks!
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #36145 on: June 25, 2017, 06:18:30 PM

My AT&T U-Verse bill jumped to $265/mo.  I said "fuck that" and dumped all of it except for the high speed internet and basic TV.  Down to $110/mo.  I'd dump the TV entirely but they give me unlimited data for keeping it ($30/mo vs. $19/mo for the TV service).  Now I just need to get rid of the wireless receiver and save myself the $10/mo on that...
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #36146 on: June 26, 2017, 06:48:08 AM

Time Warner (which is now on the spectrum I'm told) has been holding steady the last couple years instead of rate creeping, AND my speeds have gone up nicely. I do own most of my equipment, though.

Downside is the infrastructure sucks and most of their ads for upgrading service link to local pages that nope. And even so, I have to run a cable through my 1Bº attic crawlspace. I should vent that. The fun of home ownership when thinking about one project leads to 784 other projects so you say fuck it and shoot zombies.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36147 on: June 26, 2017, 07:43:41 AM

TW won't upgrade service anymore. If you're still getting TW service that will remain for some time, but any alterations force you to Spectrum and their new terms & packages. This is what caused my mother to just dump them entirely recently.  She only wanted basic internet (5mbps) and basic cable plus whatever tier gave TBS and BBC. She was trying to reduce cost due to fixed income.

Net result; "Well we only offer a low-end of 30mbps internet and you need two different tiers for those cable channels. So your new bill will be $50 more per month."  why so serious?  Trying to convince a 67 year-old woman who doesn't use the internet for anything other than e-mail and an occasional Amazon purchase that she'll be much happier with a more expensive internet package is pretty dumb.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36148 on: June 26, 2017, 07:49:05 AM

I just ditched my AT&T DSL last week (after they attempted to jack up the price) for a local wireless ISP.  $35/mo for 50Mbps makes it 30x faster than what I was on for 30% cheaper.   Hulk Rock

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #36149 on: June 26, 2017, 07:51:08 AM

Not sure where they are on the spectrum right now. It's mostly spectrum branded but then you end up in some TW crevice at some point. So I think that's a thing. Just means we will have to stop our junk tv stuff like Cops or House Hunters. I've got Prime and Netflix anyway, and the old lady has talked about canceling service for the summer anyway.

I'll be fine, more art/music/game time, but I have a feeling she's going to lose her mind.

edit: Sam, shut it with your 1st world service availability
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #36150 on: June 26, 2017, 07:58:29 AM

I've lived in 8 different countries in the last 15 years. The most that I've ever paid for fast internet and bundled TV is about €45/mo. In some countries I got unlimited mobile data as well for a total of about €30/mo.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #36151 on: June 26, 2017, 08:00:59 AM

I just ditched my AT&T DSL last week (after they attempted to jack up the price) for a local wireless ISP.  $35/mo for 50Mbps makes it 30x faster than what I was on for 30% cheaper.   Hulk Rock
Wireless as in microwave? Or wireless as in cellular? Cellular latencies aren't so good.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36152 on: June 26, 2017, 08:41:12 AM

Wireless as in microwave? Or wireless as in cellular? Cellular latencies aren't so good.

Ping also dropped (to about 30% of what it was).   DRILLING AND MANLINESS  Looks like it's microwave.

Main concern with an antenna is that it'll get jiggled out of position by the wind (used to have wireless internet at my old office and I remember when we had a big storm that made our internet suck for a few days until they came and readjusted it).  But the ISP does monitoring of the speeds each customer is getting so odds are good they'll notice the problem before I do.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 08:43:43 AM by Samwise »

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #36153 on: June 26, 2017, 08:59:05 AM

Yeah my boss has that setup at his home near Dolores Park and it does need to be recalibrated from time to time.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #36154 on: June 26, 2017, 09:02:44 AM

Wireless point to multi-point technology has gotten a lot better over the last decade. A lot of the systems have a bunch of signal monitoring tools built in. The question is what the ISP actually does about the information they are given.

If the ISP does a proper mounting of the antennas and there are no obstructions in the line of sight you should be good even in moderately high winds.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Pages: 1 ... 1031 1032 [1033] 1034 1035 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: