Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:00:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  AGC '06  |  Topic: AGC Rivebrog: Third Party Community Sites 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AGC Rivebrog: Third Party Community Sites  (Read 44206 times)
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #35 on: September 11, 2006, 01:41:06 PM

It was a wonderful answer!  Stunning! 

(Most of Sid Meier's games are from his own independant company, no?) 

That's why I asked about "indie". Its the punk rock paradox. As soon as people have heard of you, you've sold out and can't be called "indie" any more, even if your company is actually independent. It's the type of circular clusterfuck non-argument that leads to pointless pedantry rather than discourse. Name one famous "indie" whatever. And by indie, I mean not famous. Sure thing. I'll get right on it.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: September 11, 2006, 02:27:59 PM

Sounds like all the finger-pointing at Kevin Smith, how he's not "indie" anymore. He never was "indie." The first Clerks was distributed my Miramax.

Meanwhile, The Empire Strikes Back was an indie film, even though it was distributed by 20th Century Fox. Yeah, I don't understand it, either. Crazy world.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #37 on: September 11, 2006, 02:58:26 PM

Fugazi is the only wildly popular and truly indie band I can think of at the moment.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #38 on: September 11, 2006, 04:56:00 PM

Fugazi is wildly popular? I mean, I own 3 fugazi CDs, but no radio station outside of KEXP (the Paul Allen funded indie radio station here in Seattle) would play Fugazi.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #39 on: September 11, 2006, 05:45:56 PM

Perhaps I should have said "widely popular"? ;)

Definitely popular on an international level. Perennially popular as well -- They've been around since the late 80's, and were popular when my older brother was in highschool, when I was in highschool, and popular even among high school kids today. They still sell out shows. They've made enough cash on album sales to fund a whole slew of bands on the Dischord label. They don't have to resort to "day jobs" like every other indie band does (i.e. they make a lot of money making music alone). And lastly, they've maintained their presence and success like this without once resorting to marketing, promoting, or the like (they don't even sell t-shirts) -- It's all been by word of mouth. That speaks of just how popular they are.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #40 on: September 11, 2006, 08:44:01 PM

Just wonder, but...Yoru, what was the last game Urquhart did? I thought it was one of the IWD games, or perhaps that Lionheart game that kinda bombed?

Oh, and sight unseen? Bioware, Epic (Cliffy B.), Timegate (Kohan), Remedy...that might be about it.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Lepidus
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: September 11, 2006, 08:52:26 PM

During the panel, I threw Sid Meier out there as a celebrity game designer, but really, it wont happen too often. The difference between this and movies is that people see actors, they are the face of their products. It is harder to be a celebrity director and the industry just isn't big enough for that to happen too often with designers.

At this point, it remains very much in the interests of companies to make the company the celebrity. BioWare, Blizzard... not Vogel and Pardo. That way, their reputation survives the departure of the headline name (Origin = Garriott, for example).

Dana

PS: There is one celebrity screenwriter I can think of: Charlie Kaufman.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #42 on: September 11, 2006, 11:33:06 PM

We don't see movie directors or music producers, but they're highly considered among those in the know. They may not have wide-reaching celebrity (a handful of each do) but they are important to those who care about the art more than superficially. For every person who creates, who mediates creation, or who otherwise has a significant role that makes them notable, there are other people, even their peers, who consider it interesting what those people have to say about matters not directly related to their work. To game cognoscenti, it's not just Sid Meier that's a celebrity game designer, its Toru Iwatani, David Braben, Matthew Smith, Shigeru Miyamoto, etc. Even local pub bands have their fans.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: September 26, 2006, 03:55:14 AM

How much information does Hollywood release about the process while the movie is being made, though? There's just as much rampant speculation there, but Hollywood doesn't feed it. The game industry should go more in that direction -- just shut up until your game is actually released.

Ryan S and Valerie:
We can't really do that. The fans wouldn't stand for it.

That's total bollocks.  A complete cop-out.

Half-Life is an example.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #44 on: September 26, 2006, 05:39:52 AM

Heh. Fans stand for it all the time. It's called Japan. Or at least used to be til America fucked it all up. A large number of the companies over there (and some still do) only release information about a game once it's 80-85% complete. But that's neither here nor there, the problem with the gaming inddustry is that shit can change mid stroke, they have years to complete a game while a movie takes a few months to film. You simply don't have the same time to dick around. Frankly, I'd rather not see anything about a game until a month before release. That would get rid of all the shitty magazines also.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  AGC '06  |  Topic: AGC Rivebrog: Third Party Community Sites  
Jump to: