Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:26:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Titan Quest  |  Topic: Titan Quest: Who's playing as What? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Titan Quest: Who's playing as What?  (Read 127285 times)
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #35 on: July 05, 2006, 03:31:03 PM

Playing as an Assassin now, I'm not exactly the most tankable character....but I don't see how most other classes would be any better.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #36 on: July 05, 2006, 04:46:27 PM

Rerolling as full Stormcaller now.

Gave up pretty quickly on the Hoplite idea.

Maybe this new guy will be a Thane as well, but I don't plan on picking a secondary as soon as I did last time.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #37 on: July 05, 2006, 10:33:06 PM

Pyromancer has been pretty good so far.  My pet was tanking the last couple bosses in Egypt and only taking slivers of damage.  Pretty low on defense at the moment having focused mostly on my pet and my damage adds so far.  I've got some sort of fire shield though which does decent damage to enemies that get close to me and I'm hoping to bolster that up further at some point with the Deathchill Aura from the Spirit line. 

My biggest problem is when the bosses go for me intead of my pet.  Right now potions heal me quickly enough that I've been ok, but I can see needing help when it comes to Epic mode.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #38 on: July 05, 2006, 10:57:07 PM

Gimpness aside, I don't see how you guys can even cope with the targeting and control of melee. I find it really cumbersome.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #39 on: July 05, 2006, 11:32:32 PM

I find the targeting control of almost everything in the game to be a pain at times.  Many is the time I try to fire a blast from my staff only to end up running headlong into the mob instead.  Spells are a bit easier to target with I guess but any sort of basic left-click attack can often lead to fuck-ups.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #40 on: July 06, 2006, 01:04:52 AM

I assigned my primary attack to the RMB and have a habit of hold down shift when I'm firing volleys of arrows. Either one of these will work, since RMB won't make you move to a location/pick stuff up and shift forces LMB into a similar mode where it will only attack and won't move.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #41 on: July 06, 2006, 01:08:06 AM

I might have to try moving it to the RMB then since I don't want to have one hand tied up buy holding down shift.
Strazos

Reply #42 on: July 06, 2006, 06:00:03 AM

Well, I'm on chapter 3 and am starting to feel the pain of dual wield melee.  Don't have enough defense to take a hit, so chug chug chug, and run away!

Us DW people might have to actually sink points into stuff like dodge and damage resist....sigh.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: July 06, 2006, 08:10:35 AM

I don't care if this is off-topic:

what the fuck is going on with your avatar, MrHat?  Get rid of that.  That gets people in major fucking trouble. 
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #44 on: July 06, 2006, 08:24:43 AM

He probably linked off someone and they replaced it. Bad, Bad. Also, it's really gross.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #45 on: July 06, 2006, 08:37:17 AM

Us DW people might have to actually sink points into stuff like dodge and damage resist....sigh.

I took warfare for onslaught, dodge and damage resist. I didn't take dual wield. I'm only level 26 and in Babylon but I kill stuff plenty fast and so far it's fine. You might want to consider going heavy on regen gear with dual wield.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #46 on: July 06, 2006, 08:41:58 AM

He probably linked off someone and they replaced it. Bad, Bad. Also, it's really gross.

Nah, that's twice now. Once, ok, but the second time, download the image and upload it to f13 like everyone else.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: July 06, 2006, 08:56:36 AM

Its not really sensible for the forums to allow avatard linking, since they allow uploading anyhow. However, I can say this: fuck gifdump.com.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #48 on: July 06, 2006, 09:15:21 AM

It's several really gross ones.  It apparently changes if you reload the page.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #49 on: July 06, 2006, 09:17:59 AM

Its not really sensible for the forums to allow avatard linking, since they allow uploading anyhow. However, I can say this: fuck gifdump.com.
Isn't there a 50kb limit on uploaded avatars? You allow avatard linking so we can have dancing avatars ;)

Also, I tried titan quest -- I'm waiting for a pach. It crashes constantly, I want an autoattack, an auto-sorting inventory, and a pickup item hotkey. It feels like a step backward from d2 :/  I found casting spells to be awkward :(

It's pretty and fun and mindless though. I think I'd play it if it would just stop crashing.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 09:19:34 AM by bhodi »
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #50 on: July 06, 2006, 09:25:17 AM

Fuck, so so so sorry for that guys.  I got lazy this morning.  Stupid direct linking bullshit website. 

I find that just chuggin potions seems to work fine. I'm going to start investing heavily in some of the defensive skills in the fire tree to see if that increases my survivability any.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 09:32:30 AM by MrHat »
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #51 on: July 06, 2006, 09:38:34 AM

Im still suffering from chronic character indecision. I have my pure warrior, who hasnt take his second yet, and I cant decide what to do. So far he has 8/8 onslaught and a bunch of DW stuff, but I keep hearing more and more its not a viable build. I also have my Spellbreaker, but honestly it doesnt seem to compliment itself very well.

I have a pyromancer that I like, but once you get more than 1 decent attack spell, it becomes a horrible pain in the ass to use more than one. I really wish I could set it up so that pressing my #1 hotkey would put that spell on my mouse button, not give me a one time fire of that spell.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #52 on: July 06, 2006, 09:40:19 AM

You know where your attack is mapped? Those two little buttons in the middle of the bar at the bottom?  Right click on those buttons and you can map stuff to left and right click.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: July 06, 2006, 10:02:05 AM

Isn't there a 50kb limit on uploaded avatars? You allow avatard linking so we can have dancing avatars ;)

Apprently not, mine is, um, a little larger, as the actor said to the Episcopal bishop. :)

Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: July 06, 2006, 10:50:39 AM

I've been playing nonstop all holiday weekend.  I'm basically satisfied, but one of my favorite characters was just wiped by a crash bug.  I got to the transfer between Egypt and the next stage and my computer reset out of nowhere.

I had to go to a party, so I started up the next day and found that my character was just gone.  I haven't found a way to get him back either.

I have several characters, but my main two are (were!):

Storm Warrior - LvL 33 or so I think.  He's just starting Epic level now.

Summoner (Nature/Earth) - was lvl 29 before got crushed by the crash god.

My summoner was gliding through the game at record speed due to plenty of pets and FIRE!  I'll do another one.  It was too fun watching the bodies fly after dropping a firebomb on a group.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: July 06, 2006, 10:52:39 AM

Im still suffering from chronic character indecision. I have my pure warrior, who hasnt take his second yet, and I cant decide what to do. So far he has 8/8 onslaught and a bunch of DW stuff, but I keep hearing more and more its not a viable build. I also have my Spellbreaker, but honestly it doesnt seem to compliment itself very well.

I have a pyromancer that I like, but once you get more than 1 decent attack spell, it becomes a horrible pain in the ass to use more than one. I really wish I could set it up so that pressing my #1 hotkey would put that spell on my mouse button, not give me a one time fire of that spell.

Mine works that way.  Not sure why yours wouldn't.
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: July 06, 2006, 11:29:25 AM

I might have to try moving it to the RMB then since I don't want to have one hand tied up buy holding down shift.

Why do you think god gave man the pinkie?
Yoru

Reply #57 on: July 06, 2006, 11:38:09 AM

Well, I'm on chapter 3 and am starting to feel the pain of dual wield melee.  Don't have enough defense to take a hit, so chug chug chug, and run away!

May I suggest some +defensive ability and +dex? +dex also gives you +piercing damage/+crit chance, both of which are hawt. Defensive ability gives you damage avoidance and -crit chance (against you).
Strazos

Reply #58 on: July 06, 2006, 11:43:13 AM

You might want to consider going heavy on regen gear with dual wield.
May I suggest some +defensive ability and +dex? +dex also gives you +piercing damage/+crit chance, both of which are hawt. Defensive ability gives you damage avoidance and -crit chance (against you).

Oh, I am doing this...but as I am only level 12, and only just got to Ambrossa (or whatever that town after Maegara is called), my options are somewhat limited. But I do have a few items with +def on them, and as a Warfare/Rogue, my dex is also rather high.

Fear the Backstab!
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #59 on: July 06, 2006, 11:45:59 AM

You know where your attack is mapped? Those two little buttons in the middle of the bar at the bottom?  Right click on those buttons and you can map stuff to left and right click.

I have this down, but what im saying is, I wish if I put say Fireball at #1 in my hotbar, and fireblast at #2, I wish if I press 1, it would bind it to my right mouse button, for as many times as I want, and then if I pressed 2, it would switch my bound spell to the place of fireball on my right mouse. As it stands now, you can bind one spell to your right mouse. If I want to use a different spell, I press #1, then left click, and it uses that spell, once. If I click again, its back to the previous binding. Does that make sence?
Yoru

Reply #60 on: July 06, 2006, 11:46:34 AM

You might want to consider going heavy on regen gear with dual wield.

Oh, I am doing this...but as I am only level 12, and only just got to Ambrossa (or whatever that town after Maegara is called), my options are somewhat limited. But I do have a few items with +def on them, and as a Warfare/Rogue, my dex is also rather high.

If you're going to be around this evening PST, I can drop you some hand-me-downs that might help you out a bit. I need to free up some inventory space and I don't think I'll be rerolling in the near future. Be a shame to waste 'em though since they're nice things.
Strazos

Reply #61 on: July 06, 2006, 11:52:41 AM

I can try to be....I worked until 6:30 this morning, but I took a nap so...who knows. All I can do is try.  :-D

Fear the Backstab!
gimpyone
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: July 06, 2006, 12:54:26 PM

I'm a level 18 hunter, with no play time atm :/
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: July 06, 2006, 12:55:53 PM

I have this down, but what im saying is, I wish if I put say Fireball at #1 in my hotbar, and fireblast at #2, I wish if I press 1, it would bind it to my right mouse button, for as many times as I want, and then if I pressed 2, it would switch my bound spell to the place of fireball on my right mouse. As it stands now, you can bind one spell to your right mouse. If I want to use a different spell, I press #1, then left click, and it uses that spell, once. If I click again, its back to the previous binding. Does that make sence?

Ah, I get it.  Um, yeah, I want that too!
Yoru

Reply #64 on: July 06, 2006, 02:55:45 PM

I'm a level 18 hunter, with no play time atm :/

I have a bow for you. Hit me up at some point in the evening.
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #65 on: July 06, 2006, 04:11:37 PM

I would really like to see a huge discussion on builds as this game unfolds. I seem to be reading/ understanding now that melee builds come up to speed later and are more gear dependant than the caster ones. First glance caster looks to be much more powerfull but the depth of classes here is really very good. I for one really like this game and the depth of classes / playstyles. And Im a altaholic so this is like a pile of crack to me. Oh well, its fun and worthy of thought. Im off then to try out a storm/ defender "paladin" build. Let me know what you've come up with. The fire/spirit  "too many pets" build does well but its kinda like watching a movie.

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
schild
Administrator

Reply #66 on: July 06, 2006, 04:33:00 PM

I'm actually working on a melee build now to see what I can do. Then I'm going to do a hybrid build.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #67 on: July 06, 2006, 04:38:08 PM

Imo, the only to way to melee is as a hybrid. With a wand  tongue.

[edit]

Which is to say that casting, wanding, self buffing, and armor (plus Warfare skills like Battle Rage) work better.

Or....

If you are going to make melee, go with Warfare + Spear and Shield. At least with High Dex, you get more secondary benefits than you would if you had high Strength. And you've got more protection than the average dexer as well.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 04:48:53 PM by Stray »
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: July 06, 2006, 05:22:49 PM

Melee sucks on legendary, on legendary you pretty much need to have some pet to tank unless or you have to play extremly carefuly. I think they fucked up on legendary in that the mobs do waaaaaay to much dmg. Would've been better if they increased their hp more then instead.

The most imba build I've seen so far is Earth / Spirit. Using a combination of skills from there you can get the best tank pet ( Core Dweller ) and very very high dmg ( mainly due to tension attack or whatever it's called ). My friend has been playing around some with a couple of diffrent melee builds. Hunting / Defense with spears seems to the best combination for extreme dmg ( 3200 DPS at level 42 ) and a good chunk of survivability. You will still get your ass handed to you on legendary though. Personaly I play a Hunting / Warfare spec using bows. I die A LOT so my lvling has been halted, but I can farm most places as soon as I learn how the mobs are placed. I think when my hunter is fully decked out in legendaries it will be one of the better builds.
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #69 on: July 06, 2006, 06:16:31 PM

Just to note. Spirit's teanion attack (you gotta love these fonts) is 3 times the damage of the wand your using, that is to say this attack seems to scale much better than any other caster attack, melee attacks tend to scale as this, but other than this caster attacks dont. Just wanted to call out an unsementry that seems to be.

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Titan Quest  |  Topic: Titan Quest: Who's playing as What?  
Jump to: