Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:59:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Ironman- The Movie 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ironman- The Movie  (Read 128689 times)
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: May 14, 2008, 07:39:10 PM

The Karate Kid is a personal fave of mine.  I love the 80's, they were so rad DRILLING AND MANLINESS.

By the way, I thought Ironman was great fun, but I just couldn't help thinking that his nemesis was The Dude, and I don't know how I can help it. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 07:41:05 PM by ahoythematey »
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #386 on: May 15, 2008, 07:27:49 AM

The Karate Kid is a personal fave of mine.  I love the 80's, they were so rad DRILLING AND MANLINESS.

By the way, I thought Ironman was great fun, but I just couldn't help thinking that his nemesis was The Dude, and I don't know how I can help it. 

I think that without the huge beard it would have been easier to mentally disconnect Jeff Bridges from the part.  But since the beard covered his face all I had was the voice, and the voice was definitely The Dude's.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #387 on: May 15, 2008, 08:56:41 AM

Didn't know Oldboy was part of a trilogy...Will definitely check it out then.

Likewise, thanks Drac because Oldboy is an amazingly fun movie.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: May 15, 2008, 09:26:46 AM

I think that without the huge beard it would have been easier to mentally disconnect Jeff Bridges from the part.  But since the beard covered his face all I had was the voice, and the voice was definitely The Dude's.

It's funny that I had the exact reverse experience. I'm not a huge Jeff Bridges fan, simply because I didn't bother with most of his recent flicks. So it actually took me 30 minutes into the movie to lean over to my buddy and ask "hey, is that Jeff Bridges?!" smiley

Karate Kid was an ok trilogy with the typical middle-movie issue.

Matrix though, I just remembered how bleh I felt about the second and third ones. That was definitely a "hey the first was so successful we should make more!!11" reinvention.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #389 on: May 15, 2008, 09:49:38 PM

unfortunately the game still sucks. With something as cool as Crysis released last year that has the suit gimmick it's sad to see how Ironman the Game is lacking the same spark and fails to capture what makes being iron man so cool.

1. Tony gets hit by a rocket, he flinches. That's it. They seem to cut down on the special effects here. EXCELSIOR!
2. Tony fires repulsor blasts...that somehow..doesn't 'repulse' it basically is a laser gun you point and shoot. Why use the gatling gun if repulsor blast is unlimited?
3. You can weave, dodge around with your thruster it's not bad but...I'd really love to grab some poor soul and take him for a ride with me to the clouds before dropping him like Crysis choke super jumps did.
4. Shooting at cars turns it red(the whole car turns really red) before it explodes. Whut?  swamp poop

What I like? Gwyneth Paltrow in the in-game model cutscene is fantastic. Downey didn't look too shabby either, but I play games for gaming, not watching cutscenes. Yet another lousy movie-based game. Star Wars Episode 1, the legacy lives on.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #390 on: May 16, 2008, 10:50:19 PM

You don't make a trilogy for cinematic integrity.

No one has mentioned Back to the Future. That was a good set.

Jaws... Not so much.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #391 on: May 17, 2008, 12:30:22 AM

No one has mentioned Back to the Future. That was a good set.

You missed a few posts.
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #392 on: May 18, 2008, 07:25:55 PM

stuff

Who buys games based on movies? Has this concept ever resulted in an actual good game?
Other than the old N64 Bond game.

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #393 on: May 18, 2008, 08:44:06 PM

The Treyarch Spider-Man games were decent.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #394 on: May 18, 2008, 09:47:29 PM

Just saw the movie today (finally).  Very good!  I agree with pretty much everything everybody has said.  The only real flaw I can think of is the end fight.  I kind of wanted to see Ironman going full out in combat, but he was down in power the whole fight.  Kind of a weak end, but overall, an excellent movie.  While the ending could have been better, they really left it open for a sequel in a way that will let them jump into action from the get go when they do it (especially liked them hinting at Rhodes taking a suit.  Will be awesome to see US Warmachine).  Should be good.

I guess I also sort of wished they had emphasized his genius aspect more, like in the Comics.  I don't think they really showed just how insanely smart he is in the movie.

And even though I should know better, the Nick Fury/Avengers secret scene after the credits had me excited  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #395 on: May 18, 2008, 10:11:03 PM

Hmm! I think his genius is the one thing they tapped into really well. There was that whole sequence in the beginning, with the magazine articles and such, that show how he rose to fame. The premise of the movie was that his expertise was coveted so much that he was kidnapped. They spend a good deal of time showing him invent a virtually limitless power source that was small enough to fit in his hand. And again, after that, show the Dude's scientists completely stumped on how to replicate it. There's also all that technology at his house (like Jarvis and the robotic arms) that no one else but him had.

I mean, short of displaying him calculating Pi on a blackboard, I think they did a good job at showing what kind of guy he was. The part they didn't tap into yet was his darkside -- and that's going to be hilarious when they finally do.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: May 19, 2008, 12:13:07 AM

Who buys games based on movies? Has this concept ever resulted in an actual good game?
Other than the old N64 Bond game.

Batman for the NES was awesome.

But yeah, games based on movies are nearly always bad, in part because they tend to get rushed to come out around the same time as the film.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #397 on: May 19, 2008, 03:36:49 AM

Hmm! I think his genius is the one thing they tapped into really well. There was that whole sequence in the beginning, with the magazine articles and such, that show how he rose to fame. The premise of the movie was that his expertise was coveted so much that he was kidnapped. They spend a good deal of time showing him invent a virtually limitless power source that was small enough to fit in his hand. And again, after that, show the Dude's scientists completely stumped on how to replicate it. There's also all that technology at his house (like Jarvis and the robotic arms) that no one else but him had.

I mean, short of displaying him calculating Pi on a blackboard, I think they did a good job at showing what kind of guy he was. The part they didn't tap into yet was his darkside -- and that's going to be hilarious when they finally do.

he wasn't kidnapped, he was a target of hit contract ordered by Stane. But Stane never told them it's Stark. So the insurgents decided to get a cheap weapon discount from Stark before killing him.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: May 19, 2008, 04:00:06 AM

Escape from Butcher Bay
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #399 on: May 19, 2008, 04:01:58 AM

he wasn't kidnapped, he was a target of hit contract ordered by Stane. But Stane never told them it's Stark. So the insurgents decided to get a cheap weapon discount from Stark before killing him.

Oh that's right...They didn't even know (although there was that one line from the terrorist dude about how no one could win wars without Stark on their side..so that fits my point). For the kind of flick it was, I think it showed how intelligent the guy was well enough.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #400 on: May 19, 2008, 04:56:05 AM

how could they just let him make an armour suit under surveillance? And the part where they panicked when the leader couldn't see Start in the camera angle  swamp poop HAhaha. Sorry to nitpick it's just that my friend said 'Those are the dumbest insurgents I've ever seen' and I can't disagree with that.

They should just ditch with the camera thing to avoid labelling the badguys as absolutely retarded.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #401 on: May 19, 2008, 05:04:24 AM

Well if you hand wave a bit it's because they were making the individual pieces and it wasn't until the end that they put the pieces together.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #402 on: May 19, 2008, 05:12:58 AM

You underestimate the ignorance some people have with technology. Especially technology not-yet-invented. Who really would suspect what he was doing anyways... Seeing that no one else has ever really made a armored suit before? Total element of surprise there really. The only reason we (the audience) know is because it was a movie called Iron Man.  awesome, for real

When Caesar first set out to conquer the Gauls, he first had to encounter the Rhine. The Gauls felt safe. Then he erected a bridge right before their very eyes. They didn't even know wtf to think at first. And before they realized it, he crossed the river. Gauls dead. Same deal here... Except with brown people.
WayAbvPar

Reply #403 on: May 19, 2008, 09:56:06 AM

Apologies for the re-rail (  awesome, for real )- I finally saw Iron Man over the weekend. All I had was word of mouth (Ironman was awesome- go see it)- I had never even seen a trailer, or read this thread beforehand, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

I loved it. I could have sat through another 2 hours of it easily. RDJ is just a joy to watch, especially playing a character with flaws that closely mirror his own life. In a perfect world, there would have been more design phase techno bits in his lab at home- I assumed there were powers the suit had due to his previous research/products, but I wanted to see more of the process. Also would have liked to see more of the learning phase as far as using the suit. It felt like he was uber-proficient way too quickly.

Minor flaws in a fantastic movie. For the first time in probably 15 theatre trips, I didn't stay for the credits (been a while since a movie did anything interesting after them). Can someone give me a blow by blow of what I missed?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #404 on: May 19, 2008, 10:01:24 AM

Stark comes home, someone's bypassed security, that someone is standing in the living room looking out the window, says "I'm Ironman, huh?", you already know who it is by that point, but he turns around to slowly reveal Samual Jackson, and announces himself as the head of "The Avengers"... presumably to talk about a job wink

Hmm! I think his genius is the one thing they tapped into really well. There was that whole sequence in the beginning, with the magazine articles and such, that show how he rose to fame. The premise of the movie was that his expertise was coveted so much that he was kidnapped. They spend a good deal of time showing him invent a virtually limitless power source that was small enough to fit in his hand.

"Start did it in a cave, with spare parts".

Favorite line of the movie, in large part because of Stane's delivery.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #405 on: May 19, 2008, 10:03:57 AM

Stark comes home, someone's bypassed security, that someone is standing in the living room looking out the window, says "I'm Ironman, huh?", you already know who it is by that point, but he turns around to slowly reveal Samual Jackson, and announces himself as the head of "The Avengers"... presumably to talk about a job wink

Actually he's head of S.H.I.E.L.D., and says he wants to talk to Stark about the Avengers Initiative after he tells Stark that there are other heroes out there.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #406 on: May 19, 2008, 10:08:30 AM

Heres a very shitty cam copy of it if you want to see:
http://showhype.com/video/iron_man_end_credits_extra_scene_nick_fury_cameo/

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: May 19, 2008, 01:07:43 PM

how could they just let him make an armour suit under surveillance? And the part where they panicked when the leader couldn't see Start in the camera angle  swamp poop HAhaha. Sorry to nitpick it's just that my friend said 'Those are the dumbest insurgents I've ever seen' and I can't disagree with that.

They should just ditch with the camera thing to avoid labelling the badguys as absolutely retarded.
They didn't point it out directly, but in the back of the room behind the table and in view of the camera was the missile Stark was pretending to assemble.  Since he was working on pieces seperately, the watchers didn't know they weren't for the missile.

I think they cut it for time or drama, but it would have spoken even more to his genius if they showed him working on both projects throughout those scenes.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #408 on: May 19, 2008, 09:34:19 PM

The only thing that really bugged me about Iron Man, was they never really explained why Stark didn't keel over dead 3 or 4 days after Pepper pulled the magnet out of the socket for his personal reactor upgrade.  Wasn't that magnet keeping deadly shards of metal from entering his heart?  If not (ie, they medically fixed that problem sometime after he got home, with the first power cell still there), why the hell was it (the magnet) still there when he was swapping out power cells?

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #409 on: May 19, 2008, 09:52:28 PM

The only thing that really bugged me about Iron Man, was they never really explained why Stark didn't keel over dead 3 or 4 days after Pepper pulled the magnet out of the socket for his personal reactor upgrade.  Wasn't that magnet keeping deadly shards of metal from entering his heart?  If not (ie, they medically fixed that problem sometime after he got home, with the first power cell still there), why the hell was it (the magnet) still there when he was swapping out power cells?
In the comic book they were only (very) slowly moving towards his heart. The chest piece in the comic book was what was keeping the pieces from moving closer but he spent much of the time without it while he was constructing the suit.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #410 on: May 20, 2008, 03:15:57 AM

Marvel recently launched a second Iron Man series "Invincible Iron Man", presumably to help cash in on the movie (not that comic book movies have ever done much for the sales of actual comics).  Only the first issue is out so far but it's good although nothing ground breaking.  Iron Fist co-writer Matt Fraction is writing this, and he seems to be going for an almost Armor War kinda vibe.  This issue was also one of the last books colored by French artist Stephane Peru (Ultimate X-men), before his recent passing at age 26.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #411 on: May 20, 2008, 05:59:13 AM

For me, the buildup of the hero origins are the best parts. It's pretty much why I loved Iron Man. Like you said, a Daredevil vs. Punisher movie would have potential for coolness. I wouldn't mind seeing Moon Knight vs. Werewolf By Night either. All those characters makes me think about how horrible the Batman franchise was for a while and how glutted Spider-Man became.

Considering Hollywoods record of totally fucking up my favorite comic characters (see Judge Dread), hopefully they never go anywhere near Moon Knight.

- Yes, I know he is pretty much just a generic Batman Ripoff of a character, but the original Sienkiewicz series was outstanding.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #412 on: May 20, 2008, 06:47:20 AM

I have to say though, Stallone made a pretty badass Dredd.

...If only the story had been good.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #413 on: May 20, 2008, 10:29:07 AM

I have to say though, Stallone made a pretty badass Dredd.

...If only the story had been good.

And hadn't ended 90 minutes into the movie for no discernible reason. The first few minutes of that movie were great, but the story just ran out of steam really quickly. There wasn't nearly enough "I am the law" in that movie.

The new Iron Man series is actually about 100 times better than the other Iron Man series. It's still not great, but the Iron Man character as a whole is pissing me off at the moment.

Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #414 on: May 20, 2008, 10:36:12 AM

In the comic book they were only (very) slowly moving towards his heart. The chest piece in the comic book was what was keeping the pieces from moving closer but he spent much of the time without it while he was constructing the suit.

Okay so when he got back to civilization they didnt have x-rays or surgeons? They couldnt get the shrapnel out?
Instead having a fusion powered electron magnet in his chest was the safer alternative?

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: May 20, 2008, 11:43:49 AM

Okay so when he got back to civilization they didnt have x-rays or surgeons? They couldnt get the shrapnel out?
Instead having a fusion powered electron magnet in his chest was the safer alternative?
That's the one thing which always got me.  I try to ignore it, but it's hard to look past.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #416 on: May 20, 2008, 01:01:24 PM

The explination in the movie was, he (Stark) had designed munitions that were designed to create shrapnel that was immpossible to remove via surgery because of whatever.  At least thats what I remember being said by the other guy in the cave.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #417 on: May 20, 2008, 01:16:51 PM

Stick him in an MRI.  They'll get removed.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #418 on: May 20, 2008, 01:25:36 PM

NERDS!  awesome, for real

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #419 on: May 21, 2008, 05:47:50 AM

It's times like these that people should really listen to the wisdom of Joel Hodgson.

Over and out.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Ironman- The Movie  
Jump to: