Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:47:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Ironman- The Movie 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ironman- The Movie  (Read 128677 times)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #35 on: February 10, 2007, 12:56:45 AM

This could end up as a decent movie.  At least development seems to be progressing along better than most of DC's movies, with Joss Whedon recently parting ways with the Wonder Woman movie, and Goyer off of the Flash.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36 on: February 11, 2007, 11:59:19 AM

What what what? Goyer and Whedon both gone? WTF?

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #37 on: February 12, 2007, 12:04:31 AM

Yep.  I could balance out the bad news though by telling you that the producer of 300 is looking at doing Frank Miller's Ronin at some point.  I don't mind Whedon not doing Wonder Woman so much, because I think he's talented enough at creating his own characters and Universes.  It's nice to see him do stuff like X-men and Runaways comics, but for TV and movies I'd rather he just do his own thing.  Shame to see Goyer off Flash though, although he can be pretty hit or miss.  He's reportedly writing scripts for Captain America and Thor right now (which I suppose may or may not actually get used), in addition to his work on The Dark Knight, so at least he's keeping busy.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #38 on: February 12, 2007, 12:33:54 AM

Captain America, Thor, and Wonder Woman are all characters that seem incredibly hard to pull off well in cinema. At least in this day and age (Wonder Woman was perfect for 70's television though).

There are quite a few non comic reading females that LOVE Wonder Woman too, but still....Even with that built in audience, it just seems like a hard thing to do.

Captain America: Maybe if they played on the dejected/outmoded theme Marvel is doing with him now. But even then, he's too flashy and corny for the big screen (like Wonder Woman). If he hated Bush and Cheney though, that might make up for it.

Thor: I'd write it like a Kung Fu episode. Also, I'd write it where he didn't have the hammer.

Scratch that. He lost his hammer, and is on the search for it. And then he tracks it down to a small town somewhere out in umm...The West (it's gotta be like Kung Fu right?).

So...

Strange guy comes into a town, makes friends (especially with a kid), and makes enemies just as quickly. Kicks a little ass in a barfight, and humiliates enemies. Enemies escalate. Kicks more ass. Finds the Hammer (which turns out to be in possession of the local Boss Hog). Pisses off Boss Hog even more. More enemies escalate. Little kid gets kidnapped. Finally reveals the full force of muthafuckin' THOR on their asses. Scares the whole town shitless. Has to leave.

Basically the plot of Pale Rider or Kung Fu. Or Roadhouse. Lol. But with Thor.

OK, OK, it sucks. Sorry.

Sorry for the derail too  tongue
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #39 on: February 12, 2007, 12:59:24 AM

I'd like to see the first Cap movie take place pretty much entirely in WWII.  The Ultimate Captain America costume is a step in the right direction of looking less corny, so they should go with something like that.  Beyond that you've got a decent basic story of a young man who is too scrawny to pass the Army physical and agrees to be a test subject for Operation: Rebirth because he's eager to do his part in the war.  There's a lot of interesting ways they can go with that if they opt not to make him some perfect symbol of America and Freedom.  Despite being a Super Soldier, he's still a young guy fighting in a war, and at the same time expected by the government to be a symbolic figure.  Play up the man out of time stuff in the next couple movies if the first one does well enough to get sequels, but I'd hate to see the WWII stuff relegated to flashbacks as it should ideally be the best place to show his growth as a character.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #40 on: February 12, 2007, 08:20:11 AM

Strange guy comes into a town, makes friends (especially with a kid), and makes enemies just as quickly. Kicks a little ass in a barfight, and humiliates enemies. Enemies escalate. Kicks more ass. Finds the Hammer (which turns out to be in possession of the local Boss Hog). Pisses off Boss Hog even more. More enemies escalate. Little kid gets kidnapped. Finally reveals the full force of muthafuckin' THOR on their asses. Scares the whole town shitless. Has to leave.

Basically the plot of Pale Rider or Kung Fu. Or Roadhouse. Lol. But with Thor.

Or every third episode of the Incredible Hulk TV series, which later had a movie version of Thor. Yes, it sucked.

I think any Thor movie done that didn't revolve around Asgard would suck. He's never really worked as well as a superhero as he did during Walt Simonson's run that focused on Asgard and the Ragnarok.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #41 on: February 12, 2007, 01:45:26 PM

Is it strange if I think a Sub-Mariner film has a better chance than Thor?

I mean, Thor is cool. Cooler than Namor in the comics, I think (well, I used to hate Namor when I was young. I have newfound appreciation for him now). Even though both come from otherworldly domains, I just think the Atlantean is more accessible. Definitely more relevant (what with the environmental protection theme). He's also more angsty (drama!), and a Sub-Mariner film would definitely have it's share of eye candy to boot.

Actually, they should have held off on the Surfer for the next FF movie (even though the Surfer is the fucking best). Should have made Namor the (apparent) villain. Make it a modern retelling of the original Torch vs Mariner story.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #42 on: February 12, 2007, 11:45:15 PM

Well, expect the first shitty movie based on a Frank Miller comic to be Ronin.  Sylvain White has signed on as director, and for those of you who don't know who he is, in addition to recently bringing us Stomp the Yard, he also did the direct-to-dvd "I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer".
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: February 13, 2007, 12:06:04 AM

Ronin would not have worked regardless, IMO.  If they adhere closely to the graphic novel, it will be too surreal and and pacing will be too sporadic for a two-hour movie.  If they venture away from it more than a smidge it'll just be useless direct-to-dvd style shit with actors hamming it up.  Only director I think would have a remote chance of pulling it off is now dead.

Ronin just seems better left in bookform.  The Dark Knight Returns, on the other hand, is practically a storyboarded script itself for a movie.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: February 13, 2007, 04:03:03 AM

Who would you cast for that ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #45 on: February 13, 2007, 04:15:17 AM

I always thought Ed Harris would make a great aged Batman.

And again: Ray Liotta as Joker 4 Life!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: February 13, 2007, 04:23:23 AM

Ed Harris totally works.  He even looks like the artwork.  Good job, Sir.

ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: February 13, 2007, 05:00:09 AM

I was thinking more like Michael Biehn for his age combined with physicality, but I agree Ed Harris is tops.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #48 on: February 13, 2007, 08:33:24 AM

Back when the series came out, Frank Miller always cited Robert Redford as his visual inspiration for Batman in Dark Knight.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: February 13, 2007, 09:35:28 AM

Times Change.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #50 on: April 11, 2007, 06:24:53 PM

Awesome. Wonder if that's going to be the main suit throughout the film? The movie logo is in the standard red and gold at least...

[EDIT]

Also, for those still having their doubts about the casting..

« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 06:36:33 PM by Stray »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #51 on: April 11, 2007, 06:44:20 PM

Awesome. Wonder if that's going to be the main suit throughout the film? The movie logo is in the standard red and gold at least...
Highly unlikely. That's his "origin" suit and his surroundings match what you would think of if he was building his first suit in captivity in Vietnam (i.e. it's not his nice shiny high-tech Stark Industries lab).
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #52 on: April 11, 2007, 06:47:59 PM

Yeah, I knew it was the original suit -- Just wondering how long they'll keep that period in the film. Maybe they'll just brush past it, who knows.

That might not be the shiny Stark Industries lab, but there is that shell casing in the background that says "...Industries" on it. So it probably is a lab or hq of some sort. Just not a shiny one ;).

As for Vietnam, I suppose they'll just substitute that for a more recent war (like they've done with the Punisher).
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #53 on: April 11, 2007, 06:51:53 PM

That might not be the shiny Stark Industries lab, but there is that shell casing in the background that says "...Industries" on it. So it probably is a lab or hq of some sort. Just not a shiny one ;).
Stark Industries was providing equipment to the US military during the war (that's why he was over there, he wasn't a solider). That's presumably a piece they captured when they captured Tony. It is interesting that just from that one picture it looks like they are going be pretty faithful to his comic book origins.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #54 on: April 11, 2007, 06:54:52 PM

As for Vietnam, I suppose they'll just substitute that for a more recent war (like they've done with the Punisher).
Yeah it'll probably be something like Desert Storm. That would get the ages about right.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: April 12, 2007, 01:53:56 AM

Speaking of pictures that paint a thousand words, that one shot says to me 'hey, this might be good.'

I don't know why.

ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: April 12, 2007, 02:14:53 AM

That picture reminds me of Favreau's previous, Zathura.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #57 on: April 12, 2007, 02:24:08 AM

Never seen Zathura, but if they went with Kirby's Iron-Man, it would have been a little too smooth and retro imo (but it's more or less, an accurate depiction, even with the adjustments).

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #58 on: April 12, 2007, 03:50:53 AM

Well, last year at the Comicon panel concerning the movies marvel was working on, they basically said they were planning on going through about 4 stages of suit through the movie (if I recall correctly).  They said they were going to start with the classic suit, moving up through the more standard red/gold suits, then ending up with a version that became more of a weapons platform, like War Machine.  That was awhile ago though, so who knows if they are sticking with that, but the fact they just came out with that screenshot seems to prove they are sticking with what they said so far.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #59 on: April 12, 2007, 08:09:30 AM

Le awesome. If they can get the armor right like they apparently have, they can get the story right. Hopefully.

I wonder if they'll use the devil horns/Madame Maquse mask version of the red and gold, or just go for the more traditional round head version.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: April 12, 2007, 09:23:26 AM

I always preferred the red and white.  I hated the War Machine version tho.

Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: April 12, 2007, 01:58:20 PM

I hate the helmet.  It looks like it's from The Rocketeer, not Iron Man.  Other than that, looks good.

And I was a big fan of the red&white suit too :)
schild
Administrator

Reply #62 on: April 14, 2007, 01:16:30 AM

Whoa. I opened the thread and saw Broughden's name.

Also, that Iron Man classic pic that Stray posted - freaking awesome.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: April 14, 2007, 02:28:50 AM

I hate the helmet.  It looks like it's from The Rocketeer, not Iron Man.  Other than that, looks good.

And I was a big fan of the red&white suit too :)

Um.  You mean the helmet in the picture ?  It's exactly the same as the original in Stray's post.  Which I understand is the point.

I am not understanding you.

Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: April 14, 2007, 11:23:16 AM

No, it's not.  It's sectioned in the middle, and the eye slits look giant.  The mouth slit doesn't really look to be frowned down, either.  And while they usually drew the helmet as just being a cylinder sticking (like this one is doing), they would draw it with a jaw-line whenever viewed from the front (like in stray's pic).

Yeah, it's nit-picky, but it's how I see it.  It's not god awful, optimus-prime-has-fucking-lips, but I don't like it.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #65 on: May 02, 2007, 01:24:32 PM

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #66 on: May 02, 2007, 05:31:21 PM

Awesome.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: May 03, 2007, 01:44:08 AM

Afghanistan.  Makes sense.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #68 on: May 03, 2007, 08:38:19 AM

Kickass. Let's just hope the movie doesn't make Tony Stark as much of a dick like he's been in the comics lately.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: May 04, 2007, 09:18:32 PM

I think that 'Demon in a bottle' comic may be the most recognized single IM comic.  Awesome issue, great story arc.  I also like the red and white suit but glad they are back to red and gold.  Great movie still too!  I just wish the Crimson Dynamo and Titanium Man would show up. Heh.  His battle with both of them is one of my all time favorites.

OK enough rambling!  Looking forward to this one!  Glad IM gets a movie before audiences tire of superhero movies.  :-D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Ironman- The Movie  
Jump to: