Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:56:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: 3/22/06 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC, X360) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3/22/06 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC, X360)  (Read 174680 times)
schild
Administrator

on: March 19, 2006, 03:04:37 AM

Ya. Oblivion. We'll see how many bugs got into our sandbox this time on Wednesday. DISCUSS.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 05:25:57 AM

I say now is a good time to take bets on date of first full nudity mod release.  Let's see the game comes out on the 21st so I am going to go with April 4th, 2006.  Thats two full weeks, probably a bit on the outside.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 07:50:18 AM

on Wednesday.

Try today. EB is same day shipping it. I'll be picking up my copy when I get into work today.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 08:11:12 AM

So, I can go get my copy today? Interesting.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 08:43:40 AM

I need cheats!!!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 09:23:38 AM

I doubt it gets to Tucson today.  We're somewhat of a geographical oddity; one day farther out than everyone else.

This game is going to bruise my new computer's ego.

-Rasix
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 11:11:05 AM

EB here in DC says it won't be on the shelves until tomorrow.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
WayAbvPar

Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 11:15:12 AM

I doubt it gets to Tucson today.  We're somewhat of a geographical oddity; one day farther out than everyone else.

Heh. I floated a test balloon about upgrading my PC. My wife didn't buy it. She just doesn't understand that 18 months is an eternity in hardware life.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Rasix

Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 11:25:25 AM

Heh. I floated a test balloon about upgrading my PC. My wife didn't buy it. She just doesn't understand that 18 months is an eternity in hardware life.

Took me 6 months with a dead PC to get a new machine.  The money we spent on that computer is going to easily be equaled by the amount of bedding, shoes, clothes, and make-up she's been buying of late. 

-Rasix
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 11:31:25 AM

Elder Scrolls Construction Set Wiki.  The construction set is also available now as a free download on the wiki or off http://www.elderscrolls.com.  I haven't looked at it yet other than to check that the links work but it seems pretty complete.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
bhodikhan
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 07:00:22 AM

Holy crap! Didn't think it would even work at 2560x1600!  I'm getting playable framerates and good looking rendering on my 30 inch LCD. They must have NOT used the crappy BF2 engine that can't render to save it's life.

Congrats Bethesda on your coding expertise. I'm impressed so far.

Mortriden
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 07:06:45 AM

Took me 6 months with a dead PC to get a new machine.  The money we spent on that computer is going to easily be equaled by the amount of bedding, shoes, clothes, and make-up she's been buying of late. 

God damn if this ain't the truth.  My upgrades are an MFT cheeper than all the new shit she's bought in the last two weeks alone...  mumble, mumble, bitter...

It's like calling shenanigans.  But you say "jihad" instead. - Llava
They are out there, but they are bi-products of funny families. If you know funny old people, see if they have daughters. -Paelos
Yes my seed is that strong. I literally clap my hands and women are with child. -Paelos
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 10:23:06 AM

Thinking of getting this through Direct2Drive. Anyone have any experiences with it?

Wiiiiii!
Toast
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 10:24:22 AM

Need more infos on this. I'm thinking about grabbing a copy from Fry's Austin this afternoon.

A good idea is a good idea forever.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 10:40:53 AM

I just got mine from EB Games down the street, second to last copy.  I'm still at work though so no play for me for a few hours yet (though I will probably head home early).  I broke down and embraced my inner geek and watched about 25 minutes in the last hour of that 12 hour broadcast this morning with my coffee.  I watched the guy play through one of the Oblivion gates and then to a little town and the first part of a dungeon, everything I saw looked great.  The combat looked pretty fun, he was playing an orc warrior with little magical skill so a series of consecutive combats or several critters at once without a chance to heal looked to be close enough to bring the outcome into question (yes he died a couple of times so the load/save system works).

I'm pretty sure that was the 360 version he was playing, pop-in was pretty far off in the distance and the only load times I noticed were on natural zone changes (entering a dungeon or building).  Only served to whet my appetite more.

WayAbvPar

Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 11:21:12 AM

Anyone know what the sys reqs are on the box? I am wondering how well this will play on my box.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Rasix

Reply #16 on: March 21, 2006, 11:22:31 AM

I'm thinking I have a 2pm offsite appointment today. 

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: March 21, 2006, 11:23:18 AM

Recommended
3ghz, 1 GB ram, x800 or 6800 or higher.
Rasix

Reply #18 on: March 21, 2006, 11:27:49 AM

Anyone know what the sys reqs are on the box? I am wondering how well this will play on my box.

Here's the whole thing including the minimum (aka unplayable):

The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion System Requirements

Recommended:

* 3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
    * 1 GB System RAM
    * ATI X800 series, Nvidia GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card

Minimum System Requirements:

* Windows XP
    * 512MB System RAM
    * 2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
    * 128MB Direct3D compatible video card
    * and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;
    * 8x DVD-ROM drive
    * 4.6 GB free hard disk space
    * DirectX 9.0c (included)
    * DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
    * Keyboard, Mouse

Supported Video Card Chipsets:

* ATI X1900 series
    * ATI X1800 series
    * ATI X1600 series
    * ATI X1300 series
    * ATI X850 series
    * ATI x800 series
    * ATI x700 series
    * ATI x600 series
    * ATI Radeon 9800 series
    * ATI Radeon 9700 series
    * ATI Radeon 9600 series
    * ATI Radeon 9500 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce FX series

-Rasix
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 11:48:04 AM

So has anyone hit any showstopping unplayable bugs yet? I mean, the stores on the east coast have been open for a whole 6 hours now... I'm hoping they didn't Starforce it or something silly like that.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #20 on: March 21, 2006, 12:10:14 PM

I'm at an impass.

I doubt my rig will run this game, and I want to play it.  So I can buy a 360, or I can upgrade my rig if I really want to play it.

Or I can wait and see.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #21 on: March 21, 2006, 12:24:32 PM

Thinking of getting this through Direct2Drive. Anyone have any experiences with it?

I got EQ2 through Direct2Drive and I don't feel that my asshole is much bigger.  Took forever.

Installing TESIV now.  Also a geographical oddity when it comes to games, I didn't expect to see this around the ATL until next week.  Of course, there is a shitton of x360 cases at EB.  I got my Collector's Ed PC flavor box at GameStop today.  Not sure why I even acknowledge EB's existance.

Killjoy called me most recently to bemoan his pitiful 512MB of RAM.  Even though he falls within the minimum specs, apparently it's just not good.  My reply was something like "sho shorry, me frap Oblivion rong time".  He has plenty of free time to find more RAM.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
WayAbvPar

Reply #22 on: March 21, 2006, 12:32:12 PM

My sys reqs (from memory, I am at work)- AMD 3200+ (or something)- I think it is 2.2 Ghz. GeForce 6800 (128 MB RAM), 1 GB system RAM. I think that falls comfortably into mid-range, but I would like to hear some war stories about performance.

Goddamn it. I don't have the time to play this damned thing, but I am going to have to buy it.

schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: March 21, 2006, 12:50:36 PM

I suppose it's time to pop this in and play it. I should have some cohesive thoughts by midnight.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 21, 2006, 12:52:02 PM

Pretty and not pretty.

I'm running an AMD 2GHz, 768RAM and (the bad thing, apparently) a 256MB Geforce FX 5500. I have low frame rates and by low I mean unfuckingplayable frame rates with everything turned down ALL the way. 640x480 resolution, grass turned off, no shadows, no nothing.

Scuttlebutt on the forums is that the FX series is the problem. Apparently it doesn't handle certain shaders so well. Word is that Nvidia will be releasing some new drivers in the next couple of days with Oblivion in mind and it may help the issue somewhat but not immensely.

The odd thing is that I can run the game in the outdoor areas (ugly as it may be) with little stutter but if I go in a building? Game over. I expected the opposite. I was sort of wanting to pint he problem on my RAM shortfall but there's obviously something going on inside the caves/buildings/etc that is chugging my card.

Gameplay wise it seems pretty solid. I've not been able to delve into it too much and I'll be damned if outside doesn't look like a huge blue blob; those pretty trees don't show up at all unless I'm right on top of them. Playable for me but just barely.
schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: March 21, 2006, 12:53:18 PM

I would say the bad thing is the 5500 graphics card. I'm pretty sure that's just a tuned 5200.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 21, 2006, 12:55:58 PM

Pretty much what the concensus is. My own fault for going cheaps when I upgraded this past summer. Good thing is that I have a friend who's upgrading his computer and is willing to offload some upgrades to me on the cheap. Bad news is that I don't know precisely when that's going to happen.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #27 on: March 21, 2006, 01:05:54 PM

Started it up and my rig hissed "It hurtssss ussss!"

GeForce 6800 GT, 256MB
Athlon 3000+
A7N8X Deluxe (Nforce2, bleah)
1.5GB Ram

Issues with the initial video, like unwatchable issues.  Bad Picard!  Got some chop in char creation, which doesn't bode well for the actual game.  I am considering backing off my video drivers to the last Omega set, but if I were sane I would just wait for some official stuff from Nvidia.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 21, 2006, 01:08:36 PM

New video driver rumor's upgraded to a tomorrow release. I'd hold off until then. Apparently character creation and opening Picard video are a little choppy for everyone so don't put too much stock in that.

I'm dismayed a bit that the 6800 didn't seem to cut it. Post again once you're trudging through the dungeon as I'm considering picking one up as an upgrade.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #29 on: March 21, 2006, 01:23:46 PM

I hate you people so much for being able to play this while I'm stuck here dreading the 3 day drive home from my brother's place.

I have two rigs now. One is recommended specs (3Ghz P4, 1GB of RAM, GeForce 6800GTOC from BFGTech), and the other is beyond it in everything but RAM (Athlon 64 X2 4400+, 1GB RAM, GeForce 7800GT from eVGA).

We'll see if a single generation jump in graphic cards and a good boost in processor speed (also, dual core) make any difference.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: March 21, 2006, 01:26:44 PM

I started it up in my 360, turned on third person. Low and behold, everything works on high settings. Yes, I'm gloating. Enjoy the stuttering, bitches.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #31 on: March 21, 2006, 01:36:37 PM

I started it up in my 360, turned on third person. Low and behold, everything works on high settings. Yes, I'm gloating. Enjoy the stuttering, bitches.
You spent money on a 360, there is nothing I can do to increase your suffering.

I'll be playing with the construction set when I get home myself.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #32 on: March 21, 2006, 01:46:54 PM

Whatever, punk.  You're playing in 3rd person.  Obviously you are beyond help.

Performance in the dungeon in much better.  That said: 1024x768.

This... game... is... fucking... awesome.  Then again, I am a sucker for physics.  The interface is better than TESIII, I think.

Tip: the customization options for the Argonian MAKE NO GODDAMNED SENSE.  I just ended up hitting random since everything that I tried to make looked like stomped ass.

Don't look for me in a MOG until April.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #33 on: March 21, 2006, 01:51:01 PM

Raise your hand if you DIDNT see this post coming the second some one had anything slightly negitive to say about the PC version.

Now. I'm going to be picking up my preorder on the way home from work today. I hope my rig runs it well. I have 3.2ghz, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 6800GTOC, and a Raptor Raid-0 setup. *Crosses Fingers*
Toast
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 21, 2006, 01:59:10 PM

I think I'm screwed.

P4 2.8
1 gig RAM
Radeon 9800

The problem is that I have a 24'' monitor that runs 1900 x 1200 native. I'm going to buy this afternoon and try it, though, even if i have to run out of native.

A good idea is a good idea forever.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: 3/22/06 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC, X360)  
Jump to: