Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:30:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: 3/22/06 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC, X360) 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3/22/06 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC, X360)  (Read 174699 times)
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: March 22, 2006, 11:38:07 AM

So far killing stuff with magic seems a lot easer than with melee. Specially with a 2h sword its hard as hell to hit the mobs, as they are constantly jumping out of the way and stuff. Every fight seems to leave me at half life or lower. I am really giving my heal spell a workout.

I don't know about with big weapons but with a small steel sword I can get them into a sort of stun-lock for 6 or 7 hits in a row because it swings so fast (6x damage on a backstab!).  Stick up the sheild for a second to block the incoming blow (with a really awesome *clang*) and then repeat.  Pretty fun, not interactive on the level of say Tekken or Soul Calibur but still quite enjoyable (next time maybe...), moving around and circling helps.

That newb fireball spell is pretty damned effective though, I'll pop it off when something is running at me or if we have seperated out of striking distance during melee, 1 shots rats & gobbo's no problem.  I'm playing a Briton and thier magika bonus is really nice, more than makes up for the lack of strength for me because I use magic for utility and do most of my damage through stealth.

One last gush (for now) the music and sound effects are easily some of the best ever, the chink of mail while you run, the combat music, the skritch of a sword hitting armor, excellent.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: March 22, 2006, 12:49:22 PM

Hey, Murgos, why no huge review here ?  I had to track you down over there !

Screenshots dammit.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: March 22, 2006, 12:50:59 PM

Just got back and the music comment above confirms that at least I'll have some new music to enjoy.  Any other Austinites still looking for a copy might try the Best Buy on ben white: they had a few collectors and standard editions still available.  All the EBgames/gamestop are sold out, of course.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #73 on: March 22, 2006, 12:55:31 PM

Well i broke down and bought the X360 version as the PC version was sold out everywhere i checked, too bad as my 4600 X2/6800GT rig is probably ok for running it with AA on. Still the 360 version looks very nice and i've had no performace issues. 720p widescreen luv.

Anyway, am enjoying it a fair bit. Watch out for some of the quests though - I got stuck in one and had to revert to a save, i couldn't kill the baddie and that was the only way to get out. Overall pretty cool game so far.

The Painter Quest? I completed it at 5th level, but it took a few hours, several reloads, and thank fuck I was playing a character with high acrobatics, so I could find places to perch.

That being said, yes, keeping a running list of saves is a good idea.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #74 on: March 22, 2006, 01:00:50 PM

Screenshots dammit.

He did... over here in the other thread.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #75 on: March 22, 2006, 01:04:52 PM

Could anyone give me a rundown from previous TES games on how certen characters preform

1) Combat Character with lots of magic.

2) Combat character with lots of stealth.

Right now im playing a pure combat character, but I think im going to reroll to a more hybrid class, it just seems more fun to play some thing with lots of options.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #76 on: March 22, 2006, 01:14:44 PM

Can anyone confirm if potions are as horribly easy to abuse as they were in Morrowind?

With enough liquor (which raises strength and lowers intelligence) you could take almost anything in the game, or steal a castle's worth of stuff and lug it home before the effect wore off and you couldn't move anymore. With a decent weapon and enough "beer muscles" you could take nearly anything at level one.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #77 on: March 22, 2006, 01:19:24 PM

Is Oblivion SLI compatible? It must be but one never knows.

I have never played WoW.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: March 22, 2006, 01:20:20 PM

Screenshots dammit.

He did... over here in the other thread.

I Totally suck at this internet game this week.  Sorry, I need a holiday.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: March 22, 2006, 01:40:29 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8RlmcMDnqG0

Here's some crap i made real quickly this morning. It's uhhh, well it was a 450 meg half-size fraps avi, which I converted to a 12 meg wmv, which youtube changed around.

So the quality isn't exactly great now, but it's on high settings (not ultra high) at 1024x768 to begin with. You can see the hitches for loading and stuff, and keep in mind this is from little village to a mid sized city, so the hitches at the end are preparing for that. Not bad for a 2+ year old P4/mobo/ram combo and a new video card.

My damn 6600 GT bit the bullet. It'll turn the monitor light to green when i have no power plug hooked up to the card, but gives no video. If I hook up the power plug the PC will stay on for about a tenth of a second  and shut off. I know the 7800 GS isn't the best thing out, but I really didn't want to buy an entire PCI-E system and reformat.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #80 on: March 22, 2006, 01:41:31 PM

I don't want to start slapping Fable and Morrowind cocks, but my thoughts are that Morrowind's beginning was not very engaging or focused.  You actually did know what you were supposed to do and how to do it, but I always stand on the silt strider platform and wonder why I couldn't, you know, walk to Balmora?  Then there was the difficulty of that first cave you find, and it isn't clear at all that you should probably go kill a bunch of crabs before you try to take on the bandits in there.  Fable, of course, didn't have this problem but that's mostly because Fable didn't have a lot of things.  As usual for an Elder Scrolls game, TESIV really obliterates this newbie-ramp-up problem that I suspect kept too many people out of TESIII.

I actually did like Fable.  I just didn't like that I spent $50 on it.  I should have played the bigger PC version.

TESIV controls... I am torn.  For one thing, I can read the text, unlike TESIII at high res.  Combat feel fifty times better.  Grabbing and throwing feels gimpy, but I play a lot of HL2.  Grabbing corpses, well I can't do that in HL2.  If there is a way to throw something, I haven't figured it out yet.  The menus, to me, sit in a middle ground between console and PC.  At least the controls are closer to modern conventions.  The place I see the biggest effect of consolization is in the eight hotkey slots.  Obviously this is for the D-pad, but it is hardly a gamebreaker.  I don't get an e-hardon when every key on the keyboard does something... OK, I do, but still it isn't a horrible offense.

Lockpicking is pretty well done.  Not quite Thief III but fucking close.  The best part is that the game lets me know it was my fault that I broke the pick.

The design of the starter dungon is very impressive, not just for the elements in my first paragraph either.  It is dark and I need a torch; I can see the value of night vision, unlike in so many other games (even Thief) where it was mostly optional.  The outdoors are bright, bright compared to the sewers; playing an assassin, I am reminded of Bilbo emerging into the sunlight and finding himself visible.  The weirdest but most remarkable thing is that I found myself reminded of a Daggerfall dungeon while in the caves.  I admit that I haven't gone into a hole other than the one I started in, but the care in design is evident.

The dark elf taunting me has entered the Hall of Classic Gaming Moments.  Race-specific taunts, while totally uncool in real life, added a lot to the initial moments.  I was actually getting a little tense.

The inevitable character information:  Argonian, assassin template.  That class fit my play up to that point to a tee, and the guard calling me on it was cool.  Normally I do a custom class but this time I really didn't feel the need.  Kudos to Oblivion for getting the character creation not just right but FUCKING RIGHT.

I have not gotten into Alchemy enough to see if it is exploitable on a grand scale, although TES games usually have that sort of thing.  Giving a new high elf character a critical weakness to paralysis in Daggerfall was a pretty big hole.  I think alchemy should be better this time around, based on early signs.  Ale just restores fatigue and makes you stupid.

I can't complain about anything of substance at this point.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #81 on: March 22, 2006, 01:46:51 PM

I'm wondering about the SLI too. If it is I'll pick up another 6600 GT and see how this bad boy runs.

Also, did anyone take on the painting quest in Chorrol? I'm so lost.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #82 on: March 22, 2006, 02:07:16 PM

Could anyone give me a rundown from previous TES games on how certen characters preform

1) Combat Character with lots of magic.

2) Combat character with lots of stealth.

Right now im playing a pure combat character, but I think im going to reroll to a more hybrid class, it just seems more fun to play some thing with lots of options.

Variety does help things.  Magic is pretty useful and I think you will really miss out if you skip it  I think I stayed melee in Daggerfall and really enjoyed lycanthropy; I still spent plenty of time creating my own spells.  I was literally a walking tank in Morrowind, and my tactic was to enchant my equipment.  I enchanted my large daedric shield, for example, to increase my strength a random amount between 1 and 120.  I re-equipped it until I got something above +90 and made sure I didn't take it off my arm.

Combat in TESIV just might allow enough finesse that I can have fun in light armor.  With no idea how enchantment might work, I assume I'll be casting spells directly.  I just can't see myself without some sort of magic.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: March 22, 2006, 02:10:47 PM

Just as an update, my AMD64 3000+ (2 Ghz) has performed just fine.  It would seem that this game doesn't draw all that much on CPU power as long as you have enough RAM and a good video card.  I'll hit the occassional slight slowdown, but other than that it's smooth sailing.

Oh, and aside from the game being very good, the UI has been hit with a bad case of XBoxitis.  The inventory in particular sucks.  I'd kill for a goddamned ragdoll and "bag", rather than the scrolling inventory menu.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: March 22, 2006, 02:15:01 PM

The dark elf taunting me has entered the Hall of Classic Gaming Moments.  Race-specific taunts, while totally uncool in real life, added a lot to the initial moments.  I was actually getting a little tense.

Are you talking about the guy in the opposite cell from you?  I don't know what race he was, but he wasn't a dark elf when I played.  Since I took an Imperial (I have a Rome fetish) he mocked me about "I guess you're not getting any special treatment just because you're an imperial, eh dirtbag?"  I thought that was a nice touch.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #85 on: March 22, 2006, 02:24:35 PM

Well i broke down and bought the X360 version as the PC version was sold out everywhere i checked, too bad as my 4600 X2/6800GT rig is probably ok for running it with AA on. Still the 360 version looks very nice and i've had no performace issues. 720p widescreen luv.

Anyway, am enjoying it a fair bit. Watch out for some of the quests though - I got stuck in one and had to revert to a save, i couldn't kill the baddie and that was the only way to get out. Overall pretty cool game so far.

The Painter Quest? I completed it at 5th level, but it took a few hours, several reloads, and thank fuck I was playing a character with high acrobatics, so I could find places to perch.

That being said, yes, keeping a running list of saves is a good idea.

Heh yup the Painter Quest. And i was only level 2...i got repeatedly squished.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
schild
Administrator

Reply #86 on: March 22, 2006, 02:26:34 PM

The game is well-tuned to the 360 contoller. I don't think I'd be comfortable playing this on a PC actually. As a side note, I played for 13 hours total thus far. Got halfway through the thieves guild and brotherhood. Also, closed the first Oblivion gate. Did some other side quests and some dungeon crawling. I still plan on reviewing it after I get a little further.
bhodikhan
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: March 22, 2006, 04:03:52 PM

I made a copy of the PC installation DVD and then used it to install Oblivion on my laptop and was also able to play with that DVD copy.

Did they really release a game with no copy protection? Has anyone else checked this? I used Nero 6.  From a quick glance at the official boards this may indeed be the case.

Interesting. Hopefully sales will be great and will put some hurt on StarForce and their crapware.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 04:14:45 PM by bhodikhan »
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #88 on: March 22, 2006, 04:20:19 PM

Heh yup the Painter Quest. And i was only level 2...i got repeatedly squished.
The stolen painting quest? My god that quest is driving me nuts. Is it just me or do the NPCs die a lot?
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: March 22, 2006, 07:21:24 PM

Just got the game today and installed this evening.  Now it’s 3AM.  Combat is much improved and is suitably frenetic (though a little too easy until I turned the difficulty up ~3/4), NPCs no longer feel like database entry dispensers, physics is really well integrated into the game and of course it looks/sounds great.  A worthy sequel for sure.

Runs smooth as a baby’s arse on my AMD64 3200+, 1GB RAM, Nvidia 6800GT @ 1280*960, graphics options high but no-AA.  Even the intro movie and character creation were smooth.  Guess I got lucky.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #90 on: March 22, 2006, 09:28:13 PM

I'm running an AMD 2GHz, 768RAM and (the bad thing, apparently) a 256MB Geforce FX 5500. I have low frame rates and by low I mean unfuckingplayable frame rates with everything turned down ALL the way. 640x480 resolution, grass turned off, no shadows, no nothing.

Scuttlebutt on the forums is that the FX series is the problem. Apparently it doesn't handle certain shaders so well. Word is that Nvidia will be releasing some new drivers in the next couple of days with Oblivion in mind and it may help the issue somewhat but not immensely.
Apparently Bethesda changed their system requirements after the fact (scroll to bottom) without updating the packaging information so only the FX 5700 on up are "supported" from the FX series.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #91 on: March 22, 2006, 10:21:12 PM

I'll cover a whole bunch of stuff in one post here:

P4 3.2 1GM 6600GT 128MB
opening movie unwatchable, game is fine though. Set to me TVs 1139 x 640 without a hitch. First game to do that for me.

Had a few CTDs over the 19 hours I've played. Also occasionlly locks when switching to map mode, goes in to system overload mode. Have to CAD out and restart the game to fox. Otherwise, no real bugs to report yet, so I'm satisfied.

Alchemy doesn't seem overboard - only one duration potion in effect at once stops lots of exploits.
Stealth rocks. I love sniping people from the shadows for 3x damage. Just wait till I mast Chameleon spells...
Also, lots of fun using arrows to lure enemies in to their own traps.

I'm 9th level now - specced in sword,bow,stealth,speach,light armor,acrobatics,illusion
A charscter like that in Morrowind was unplayable. In Oblivion I'll call it challenging, but it works. Kiting ftw.
No levitate at all in Oblivion, so there is finally a reason to have Acrobatics other than bunnyhopping your way to levels.

I haven't even started the main quest yet :P I think I will tomorrow.
I'm a member of the Dark Brotherhood. Very cool, very nasty. Don't bother unless you plan to play evil.

Nothing is cooler than kiting a zombie around a cavern as you pelt it with arrows, then turn and unleash the last of your mana in a fire ball that nocks it flying in to a revine, crumpled at the bottom with a dozen protruding arrows visible in the corpse.

The control scheme is consoley, but very usable. Big thanks to whoever mentioned the F keys, that will help.
I love the big fonts, because I play on a projection TV. The TV handles the regualr graphics fine, but in games like WoW the text is unreadable. The big test in Oblivion is perfect for me.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Toast
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: March 22, 2006, 11:46:00 PM

There are some great random dungeon crawls.

I loved the ruins on the island just NE of town. There's a necromancer in there who has a very interesting undelivered letter naming a co-conspirator/crooked guard. I can't wait to see how it turns out when i confront the guard.

My only issue so far is a "flickering sword bug" in first person. Not sure what's up, but it's mildly troubling.

A good idea is a good idea forever.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #93 on: March 23, 2006, 12:54:41 AM

Picked it up after work; just resurfaced now, 7 hours later.  :-D

AMD64 3500+, 1GB RAM, 6800GT. Intro movie ran smooth as silk, character creation had just a mite of choppiness to it. Game started off quite smooth, although to the end of the marathon session it was getting a bit choppy. I'd guess there's a few memory leaks, but I haven't checked the system monitor.

Rolled up a wood elf thiefy-monky sort; made my own class, emphasizing stealth skills with a bit of magic and decided on hand-to-hand and marksmanship for combat. Got through the tutorial just fine; hand-to-hand beat the crap out everything in there in a few punches. Strolled around the city, talking to people and doing the old RPG/adventure-game task of picking up everything not nailed down and selling it to the merchants.

Speechcraft and the persuasion minigame? Fun, I like it. Lockpicking? I can't get the hang of it; I've broken upwards of 50 picks on easy and very easy locks, and yet if I 'autopick' it almost always just opens it immediately.

Got a bunch of quests, joined the thieves' guild, started walking around the countryside trying to track down the first leg of the main quest. Met my first wolf, beat it to death with my fists o' fury, but it took 3/4 of my health. Ouch. Sat around using magic to restore health, then walked another 20 feet and got murdered by a highwayman. Hand-to-hand isn't looking like too good of an idea now. Reloaded and kited him half to death with the starter fire spell, and then finished him off with a bit of smacking using a rusty sword I happened to have.

Sidetracked into the mages' guild quests, went into a little dungeon, got murdered by a zombie. Reloaded, pulled out a stolen silver dagger, got murdered again. Started following the road to the next town, used my bow to kill bandits with far more ease than when trying to whack the zombie with the dagger; I'd hit the zombie easily 30 times, whereas the bandits took two, maybe three arrows.

Wound up walking into the first major plotpoint of the main quest completely unprepared, so I decided to call it a night.

I'm heavily considering rerolling; outdoor combat's not hard, during the day at least, but indoors I have so much trouble seeing anything that using the bow is pretty futile. I might have to crank the gamma or play one of the cat-dudes; I don't like staring at murky patches of inky blackness, trying to figure out if I'm attacking the evil thing that's pwning me, or if I'm merely engaged in carving my name into the wall while my face is being forcibly reconfigured.

If you hit New Game again, do they force you to go through the whole tutorial level again? It's a nice area, but it'd get old fast.
schild
Administrator

Reply #94 on: March 23, 2006, 02:08:27 AM

Lock picking I'm something of a master at now. I've had the same lockpick for the last 3 or 4 very hard locks. Every now and then I slip up. I think I'm halfway through, if not further in the security rank, but I started getting good around the lowest level. It's a little complicated, ya. I'll explain it in the review. Hell, I may be doing it wrong, but if it works it works.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: March 23, 2006, 04:13:19 AM

I'm running an AMD 2GHz, 768RAM and (the bad thing, apparently) a 256MB Geforce FX 5500. I have low frame rates and by low I mean unfuckingplayable frame rates with everything turned down ALL the way. 640x480 resolution, grass turned off, no shadows, no nothing.

Scuttlebutt on the forums is that the FX series is the problem. Apparently it doesn't handle certain shaders so well. Word is that Nvidia will be releasing some new drivers in the next couple of days with Oblivion in mind and it may help the issue somewhat but not immensely.
Apparently Bethesda changed their system requirements after the fact (scroll to bottom) without updating the packaging information so only the FX 5700 on up are "supported" from the FX series.

Yep, I saw that.

I got it to work on my PC by disabling all the specular shaders in the ini file. It looks like ass and is very dark but I can crank the view distance up a bit and play in 800x600 for now. Get some crashes loading certain buildings which I didn't get before but such is the nature of the beast.

Going to upgrade to a 6600GT. I was sort of surprised it was benching as high as it was on some websites but I'm guessing memory clock isn't the be all, end all. Seems to be a decent stopgap until I do a complete system overhaul this time next year. I'll be more than due then. 100 bucks for playing at medium settings for a year doesn't seem like too bad a deal.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #96 on: March 23, 2006, 04:53:25 AM

Yep, I saw that.

[...]

Going to upgrade to a 6600GT. I was sort of surprised it was benching as high as it was on some websites but I'm guessing memory clock isn't the be all, end all. Seems to be a decent stopgap until I do a complete system overhaul this time next year. I'll be more than due then. 100 bucks for playing at medium settings for a year doesn't seem like too bad a deal.
The FX series is fine for DX 8 games but the ATI Radeon 9700/9800 caught NVIDIA off guard and so they had to rush a response which led to a crappy DX 9 implementation in the FX cards. If Oblivion had a DX 8 mode things would run a lot better on that card.
Nazrat
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: March 23, 2006, 05:14:51 AM

P4, 2.4 Ghz, 768mb of Ram, and GeForce FX 5200.

Should I even try to play this game?  Ram is easy to upgrade to 1gig.  I don't follow the video card craziness enough to know what the next moderate upgrade should be. 

I really want to pick this up today but the unsupported card is causing me concern.  I have no problem with Civ4 after the proper tuning even though the others were having difficulty with this same video card. 
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #98 on: March 23, 2006, 05:33:37 AM

P4, 2.4 Ghz, 768mb of Ram, and GeForce FX 5200.

Should I even try to play this game?  Ram is easy to upgrade to 1gig.  I don't follow the video card craziness enough to know what the next moderate upgrade should be. 
The 6600GT that Modern Angel mentioned above is probably your best bet assuming you don't have a PCI Express video card slot.

I really want to pick this up today but the unsupported card is causing me concern.  I have no problem with Civ4 after the proper tuning even though the others were having difficulty with this same video card. 
You might want to check the forums to see how people with FX cards are doing with the new NVIDIA drivers.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #99 on: March 23, 2006, 05:36:35 AM

P4 2.52, 512MB Ram, ATI9800 Pro.   I'm not even going to try. I've got better things to spend my cash on than the $350 it'll cost to upgrade my ram AND the additional cash to buy a vid card.   Besides, Gal Civ2 is entertaining me when WoW isn't.  Sounds fun if you like sandbox games, though. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: March 23, 2006, 05:38:40 AM

If you have an FX anything do NOT spend money on it. Just nab that 6600GT upgrade or 100-150 bucks and then get it. You'll be having long, screeching crying jags if you rush it.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: March 23, 2006, 05:58:08 AM

I'm heavily considering rerolling; outdoor combat's not hard, during the day at least, but indoors I have so much trouble seeing anything that using the bow is pretty futile. I might have to crank the gamma or play one of the cat-dudes; I don't like staring at murky patches of inky blackness, trying to figure out if I'm attacking the evil thing that's pwning me, or if I'm merely engaged in carving my name into the wall while my face is being forcibly reconfigured.

If you hit New Game again, do they force you to go through the whole tutorial level again? It's a nice area, but it'd get old fast.

Torches are your friend.  You need to not have something in your off hand for it to 'turn on'.  Since you are doing hand to hand I wouldn't think that would be a problem.  Also, there are spells/potions/scrolls you can get/make to allow you to see in the dark or to emit light.  Since I am playing a stealthy character I don't worry about it too much, I've been able to see well enough most of the time to make fighting not too difficult.  3x damage from a steel bow with steel arrows tends to drop most things in one shot (maybe I need to up the difficulty just a tad) anyway so melee is fairly rare for me.  I generally will clear out an area of the dungeon and then light up a torch to check around for missed goodies, rings and whatnot can be hard to see in the dark.

If you hit 'new game' you do have to go through the whole intro again.  That was fairly tedious in morrowind as well.  My solution to that is just to live with the decisions I made at creation, gives the game some flavor having to work around deficiencies (thinking I should have taken healing over destruction).  Your major skills aren't that integral to what you can do, you can still do anything you want it's just that the skills wont advance as quickly (i.e. you level slower and the game plays a little harder.)

I had my first CTD last night, it was at that point where I was going 'ok, 15 more minutes and then I really have to go to bed' so it was a good thing in the context of getting to work awake and alert today.  It happened as I was selling stuff to a merchant and that even though they only had 800 gold pieces I was able to sell far more than that in items to them, so I am thinking it was some bug in the barter system.  It hadn't cropped up before but I'll keep an eye out for if it happens again.  Fortunately the game autosaved when I entered the building so nothing lost but 2 or 3 minutes of play time.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: March 23, 2006, 06:16:19 AM

It happened as I was selling stuff to a merchant and that even though they only had 800 gold pieces I was able to sell far more than that in items to them, so I am thinking it was some bug in the barter system.  It hadn't cropped up before but I'll keep an eye out for if it happens again. 

I have the 360 version and have noticed the same thing with merchants. I can sell way more than what they should be able to afford based on how much money they have. I'm starting to wonder if the gold listed for the merchant isn't the highest value they can pay for an item rather than how much gold they have.

The more I play this version, the more I enjoy it. I've been doing the mage guild "get recommended for the Arcane University" quests and so far they've been fun. I have noticed the difficulty seems to vary alot in them. I'm also getting tempted to wander and find new dungeons to explore just for the heck of it. The thing is, right now I have more than enough to do questwise so haven't done it yet.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #103 on: March 23, 2006, 07:42:37 AM

I'm 9th level now - specced in sword,bow,stealth,speach,light armor,acrobatics,illusion
A charscter like that in Morrowind was unplayable.
Really? That's almost exactly the character I played. The key was getting good light armor early, there was some of that green gemmy type armor in some chests or barrels in some place I was exploring.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #104 on: March 23, 2006, 08:07:41 AM

I downloaded the new Oblivion tweaked drivers from NVidia yesterday and everything is mostly good.  Crashes are rare.  I have very little performance problems, no stuttering, etc., and no laggy bits.  Unfortunately, Righ's laptop had a DvD drive malfunction and it can no longer read.  After making a copy of it he can see the game, it won't run at all even though he's JUST inside the required specs... so we have to share. 

I noticed that, in the cesspool they call a forum, people were screaming for a patch within minutes of installing the game.   Me too... but only in my head.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: 3/22/06 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC, X360)  
Jump to: