Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:53:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: 3/22/06 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC, X360) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3/22/06 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC, X360)  (Read 174675 times)
Toast
Terracotta Army

Reply #560 on: May 04, 2006, 09:19:39 AM

Our fundamentalist christian overlords have no clue about pc games. The chaos will be fun to watch, but eventually we may end up with anti-modding movement by big publishers.

A good idea is a good idea forever.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #561 on: May 04, 2006, 10:07:38 AM

Note to self. Write anti-tamper library, license to EA, retire on fat sacks of cash.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #562 on: May 14, 2006, 03:24:02 AM

Trying to play this bloody thing now, I've had 3 random CTD's and the lockpicking kaes absolutely no fucking sense to me...

Not sure if I'll keep it or take it back to EB yet..

EDIT - this game is WAY too fucking unstable. Tons of random CTD. I'll try to install the latest Omega Drivers if their webpage comes back up and try it again tomorrow after work. If it's still hosed, I'll take it back and get my money back. Consider buying it in a year's time when I have my new PC and it's down to au$50 with the inevitable expansion thrown in. And patched properly.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 04:01:14 AM by Azazel »

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #563 on: May 14, 2006, 06:53:48 AM

I think Signe had a similar problem.  If your computer has a lot or RAM, say 2Gb or more, this might be the first game that will actually make use of it so it might be the first time that some sections of RAM have ever been used.  I think there are a couple of free utils like memtest that will look at all of your RAM for defects.

Lockpicking gets easier once you get how it's done.  About one in three times you move a tumbler it will be a slow movement, it can be recognized by a scraping sound.  Instead of tink, tink there is a tink, scrape, tink.  As soon as you hear the scraping noise set the tumbler.  Get a bunch of lockpicks, go to a nice door, save the game and then just practice some.  Reload so that you still have lockpicks.  You can either by them from the thieves guild or kill goblins to find some.
Nazrat
Terracotta Army

Reply #564 on: May 14, 2006, 06:59:10 AM

schild had the simplest method.  Just watch the pattern of the drop.  When you see the quickest drop, the next click is the one to lock up.  After the shortest drop is the longest drop.  Once you figure out the pattern (and the quicksave option to save lockpicks), lockpicking becomes fairly trivial.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #565 on: May 14, 2006, 02:29:44 PM

I kept trying that, but it didn't seem to work. I looked up how to do it in an Oblivion Wiki and followed their advice, but no luck yet. Though I'm aware that I have yet to "get" it.

I've got 1.5gb of RAM, I'm not sure if that would make a difference, though I did play through HL2 and it ran flawlessly. Not sure if Far Cry would have pushed the RAM, but those (and doom 3, maybe) would probably have been the biggest system-punchers I've run so far before this.. On a related note, Omega-driver-guy's site is down, though I did manage to find an offsite source for download for a newer version. Installed it but no time to play atm as I should have already left for work..  NDA

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #566 on: May 14, 2006, 02:42:50 PM

I had a stick of ram that was about 40% buggered up.  Once I took it out, all went well.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #567 on: May 15, 2006, 10:03:41 AM

As soon as you're level 10 you can do the Skeleton Key quest and never worry about lockpicks again.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #568 on: May 15, 2006, 10:56:00 AM

Never did that quest.  After my first play through as a thief, I was able to pick "Very Hard" locks with a skill of <15. 

Edit: where do you get that quest? I'd rather not pick locks with my new "slugger" character.

-Rasix
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #569 on: May 15, 2006, 11:15:41 AM

Take the road northeast out of Leyawin. You walk for quite a ways but you'll be able to see the Nocturnal Shrine on your right from the road as you pass it.
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #570 on: May 15, 2006, 11:57:25 AM

I believe you can also ask about the location of daedric shrines and get it on your map if you ask in the far southern town.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #571 on: July 25, 2010, 07:46:09 AM

Ok.  So.  Gotta Newb Necro this.  Got the game with all the DLC a while back.  Started playing it this morning. 

I just got out of the sewers.  Pretty cool game so far.  Reminds me of a single-player MMO. 

But why do guards keep saying I'm a thief and putting me in jail?  What are the rules?  If I'm 'sneaking' does that mean I'm considered a thief?  If I have my weapon out will people then attack me? I mean, I get that if I go into a lord's manor and start grabbing shit then I deserve it.  But if I'm just walking down the road and a guard freaks out then what's up?
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #572 on: July 25, 2010, 08:45:22 AM

Psychic guards is a bit of an issue. If you commit a crime that's not related to a quest they will almost certainly grab you. The no-psychic guards mod should help with that.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #573 on: July 25, 2010, 09:50:05 AM

But why do guards keep saying I'm a thief and putting me in jail?  What are the rules?  If I'm 'sneaking' does that mean I'm considered a thief?  If I have my weapon out will people then attack me? I mean, I get that if I go into a lord's manor and start grabbing shit then I deserve it.  But if I'm just walking down the road and a guard freaks out then what's up?

If you are using the PC version, get some mods.  If not, sucks to be you. why so serious?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #574 on: July 25, 2010, 10:19:52 AM

But if I'm just walking down the road and a guard freaks out then what's up?

Sounds bug-ish to me.  There's a few things it might be:

1: You might have committed a crime earlier without knowing it.  Picking up a spoon or something which doesn't belong to you will cause the guards to respond with the same amount of force as if you'd just decapitated the king.
2: If you try to talk with someone while sneaking, it thinks you're trying to pick their pocket.  You'll probably fail, they freak out, and call the guards.  In general, it's not just a "sneaking" mode, it doubles as a "I'm trying to steal things" mode.
3: Might check out this faq, if that's not it: http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/924363-the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion/faqs/44108
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #575 on: July 25, 2010, 11:02:37 AM

None of that would be terrible if the guards were not able to detect crimes from a half mile away, through walls even.  NowhereMan's suggestion is pretty mandatory.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #576 on: July 25, 2010, 12:44:48 PM

Yeah but youc an't really mod shit on steam without fucking with registry editing and shit can you?
lesion

Reply #577 on: July 25, 2010, 03:03:59 PM

Steam games just live in your Steam folder. Usually they behave exactly like the non-Steam version when it comes to mods.

Explore the glory of Steam\steamapps\common\

steam|a grue \[T]/
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #578 on: July 25, 2010, 03:12:48 PM

As long as the main Oblivion directory (wherever Steam may put it) still has a Data sub-directory I'd be surprised if most mods had any trouble.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #579 on: July 25, 2010, 04:01:36 PM

It has been so long since I played Oblivion, but doesn't it show items that would be considered stealing to take in a different color, like Fallout 3 does?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #580 on: July 25, 2010, 04:13:35 PM

I know it definitely shows you which items are stolen but I think the main distinction when taking them is that if they're in someone's home then you're stealing that shit. It really is just the fact that guards know whether you've committed a crime or not, which is worst when you've killed some random at the beginning of a quest, go through the whole thing and have totally forgotten about it by the time you get back to town only to have a guard run you down and demand your arrest.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #581 on: July 26, 2010, 11:45:06 AM

Yeah but youc an't really mod shit on steam without fucking with registry editing and shit can you?

Oblivion is designed for modding.  Adding in a mod doesn't do anything to the default executables or data files so, no, adding a mod will not screw with steam.

There should be numerous tutorials available about adding mods to oblivion and enormous fuck off threads on the official forums about what mods you 'need' vs which ones are just nice to have.

Modding TES games is generally more fun than the game itself, have fun!

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #582 on: July 26, 2010, 01:38:22 PM

If it weren't for modding Steam games, there would be no Civ 4 talk on f13.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: 3/22/06 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC, X360)  
Jump to: