Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:46:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Behold the massive World Event that opens the Gates of Ahn Quiraj, it's... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Behold the massive World Event that opens the Gates of Ahn Quiraj, it's...  (Read 80702 times)
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

on: January 04, 2006, 03:03:54 AM

farming.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?FN=wow-general&T=6516741&P=1

3 million turn ins! WTF!

Trick question. How many of those players that will never see that particular raid content will actually be stupid enough to turn in anything from that list?
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 03:50:27 AM

Anybody who wants rep as apparently you get quite a bit for your effort. Other than that... no thanks.

Btw, thanks for upping the prices on the basic trade goods blizzard. Appreciate it.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 04:30:04 AM

150 rep for each 10 tokens you turn-in.  High-level turn-ins like 20 Thorium Bars for alliance give you 10 each time, but low level like Copper Bars only give you 1 after the first turn-in - the first gives you 10.

Considering it took me an hour and twenty to get 20 Raw Rainbow Albacore from fishing last night, the cooking turn-ins will take the longest on any server.  (When I logged there were 120 Rainbow Albacore that had been turned-in, out of 14000 required.)    Particularly since very few people fish and cook at high enough levels.. well other than hunters.  Hey, who knew they'd be useful for something!

-Just logged in to check.. now at 1180/14000 rainbow, but raptor is 500/20000 and yellowtail is 1880/17000.

For comparison, Thorium is at 6580/24000 and runecloth bandages are at 61020/ 400000.

Now, to amuse myself I checked the Horde Ambassador. (Alliance/ Horde ratio is 4:1 on my server.)

40/10000 Wolf Steaks, 300/ 17000 Yellowtail 40/10000 Salmon
25560/400000 Runecloth Bandages, 2640/ 1800 Mithril and 980/19000 Firebloom.

Ha, this is amusing in a tragic sort of way.  I wonder how many Ubers will be rolling Horde alts and cooking/ fishing / herbing to get the doors open after Alliance completes their stuff.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 04:56:19 AM

Mother of fucking god. World of Warcraft is turning into Horizons.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 05:33:21 AM

I think that may be overstating it.  There is no shortage of players willing to grind out collection items, and when a server unlocks the content, the players will cheer regardless.  I look forward to trade material prices going up for my flesh-peddling hunter as level 60s with too much money and time pay top dollar for stacks of leather.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 05:39:21 AM

I think that may be overstating it.  There is no shortage of players willing to grind out collection items, and when a server unlocks the content, the players will cheer regardless.  I look forward to trade material prices going up for my flesh-peddling hunter as level 60s with too much money and time pay top dollar for stacks of leather.

Hah, that is a good point.  I shall call this "Revenge of the Casuals."  Oh so sweet...

I can't wait for the first "You should be adding to the cause!!1! not charging me for this stuff!"

Go change your poopsock stinky.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 05:54:10 AM

Actually, as a member of one of the few Horde Guilds capable of doing the High End stuff for the AQ gates on my server, the Resources Collection bit is just scratching the surface of what it actually takes to get the gates open  (really REALLY damn good faction tho)

There is a HUGEASS laundry list of quests and the like that must be done for the Brood of Noztdramu (sp?) (Bronze Dragon Flight) in order to open the gates, many of which require retrieving items from such places as BWL, MC, the Stormwind Royal Library (thats right, Horde Raids on Stormwind). and other things, as well as insane grindage to faction up your reputation with the Brood.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 06:37:58 AM

A Tale in the Generic Fantacyland.

"Me am play gods"
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 08:12:42 AM

Yes, that's exactly what it reminded me of. A tale in the fucking desert. Whenever people pine about how games are so grindy because of the focus on combat... While playing ATiTD I had begun to feel the grind and gotten a vague impression of how bad it became at the top-end. I started to make a pyramid for one of those trials. I got like 2 blocks done before running half-way across the world (WTF WHY DOES IT TAKE ME HOURS TO TRAVERSE THE WORLD? WHY?) to pick up a shite-load of limestone I needed for glass. I came across an immense gathering of pyramid blocks. I asked in guild wtf it was for. When they told me it was to make a pyramid of X proportion I just... quit... just logged off like 5 minutes later, cancelled my sub, and never came back.

And they say raiding is catassing.
Hawken
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 08:22:51 AM

On top of it being a requirement of mmog'ers to farm in order to get new content.

Blizzard mods are now deleting posts when posters express their disagreement towards catassing.

For the good of everyone of course.

Hawken Lifebane - Silvermoon - 70 Lock
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 08:42:13 AM

LOL, that blows!  I'm so happy I quit months ago!  GLOAT!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 08:44:09 AM

WoW, taking poopsock grinding catassing to all new levels!

Hawken
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 04, 2006, 08:49:31 AM

I expressed my disagreement in a relatively well thought out, structured post on the general forums and was met with:

"This is the type of World event everyone wanted."

"It brings everyone together."

and the best one:

"1. Marketing 2.Strategy. The longer Blizzard keeps you playing the more money they make."

At least I can come here and read posts where everyone doesn't agree that farming != new content. And I have not gone insane.

Hawken Lifebane - Silvermoon - 70 Lock
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #13 on: January 04, 2006, 08:51:48 AM

I don't see the big deal, if you don't want to grind this, you don't have to.  Just go about your business and eventually the people who want the faction rewards will do it.  "I must have the content, now!" whining doesn't go over well with me.

"Me am play gods"
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #14 on: January 04, 2006, 08:53:27 AM

I don't see the big deal, if you don't want to grind this, you don't have to.  Just go about your business and eventually the people who want the faction rewards will do it.  "I must have the content, now!" whining doesn't go over well with me.

Whew, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought this..

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #15 on: January 04, 2006, 08:54:27 AM

The cooking reqs are going to take for-fucking-ever.  Bandages will get done fast, leather will get done fast, while herbs and metal may go a bit slower.

I fully expect the upper tier raiding guilds to be ready to go way before the materials are gathered.  Then, the casuals will make a killing or you're going to see MC night turn into The Great Salmon Fish-Off.  Here's a hint, high end raid guilds are swimming in cash.

This event doesn't bother me either way.  I'm in no hurry for the new content and I got some free faction and a couple nice green items for clearing out some space in my bank.  And now when my rogue goes farming, I can use the cloth for more free shit. 

I just pitty the person actually trying to buy materials for like... crafting.  You're screwed until this is done, buddy.

-Rasix
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 04, 2006, 09:21:25 AM

"I must have the content, now!" whining doesn't go over well with me.

When the "world changing" content is available is largely immaterial.  Artificial, cockblocky bullshit as a way to encourage force me to appreciate the "world changing" content more doesn't make that artificial, cockblocky bullshit fun for me.

Gloating about how artificial and cockblocky it is, now that's fun!
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 04, 2006, 09:48:01 AM

Because wanting to explore and experience a new addition to the game in a facet you enjoy the moment it is actually made and live is crazy-think, right? It's fortunate I rerolled a new server or I'd be pissed off having the whole raiding game on farm-status except for the one dungeon that isn't yet open because the server hasn't cooked enough yellow-fucking-tail. I can ignore massive grinds out there because I don't need them. My timbermaul faction is "Unfriendly" because getting the faction isn't some giant cockblock to the content I actually enjoy. But if I was on my old server? What would I have left for PVE? 5-mans? Done em all to death. ZG? Cleared and on farm status for ages. MC? Cleared and on farm status for ages. Onyxia? Please. BWL? Still relatively new, challenging and quite fun, but also cleared atm. AQ? Well I've never been there, shounds fun... oh but wait, the server hasn't ground up 800k linen bandages yet!

Fuck that noise. If you're gonna give me something new and fun, don't make me wait forever to access it or force me to do boring shit I otherwise avoid to access it sooner.

EDIT: I didn't bitch when MC was the only raid going forEVER and I wanted to hurl every time I saw a molten giant. I can respect that content can't just be magically summoned up and ready for me as soon as I run out of new shit to do. I can have patience there. I just object to everything being done and there, but Blizz going out of their way to make us wait for it for no good reason (from my perspective).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 09:52:49 AM by Calantus »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #18 on: January 04, 2006, 09:50:09 AM

Oh it's a huge cockblock, to be sure.  In that sense it sucks donkey balls. However, at least it only needs to be done once, and not once for each person in the raid, like the EQ cockblocks.  Plus, down the line it'll give vets something to talk about, it's a 'world moment' even if it's a grindy/ farmy one.  Some of you should be eating this shit up with a spoon.

I expect to make some decent lewtz off of this.  Linen is selling for 1g-2g a stack right now and Runecloth is up from 2g top to 7-8g.  I don't care much about the faction, since all you get is another race's mount (whee?) I'm just wondering how long before folks realize they need to be fishing and herbing not just farming cloth/ leather/ minerals.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 04, 2006, 09:51:20 AM

I just pitty the person actually trying to buy materials for like... crafting.  You're screwed until this is done, buddy.

In my experience, crafters without access to their own resource gathering (either by having the appropriate gathering skill, or having an alt or a guildmate with the skill) have pretty much always been touch-and-go.  I suspect that people who really want to craft have resource gathering covered and won't be too affected.  Nodes will probably get camp-assed for a while, we'll have to see how it pans out I guess.

I also agree with the "meh" crowd in terms of the effect on the game.  Casuals can keep doing what they're doing and in most cases can even cash in.  In fact if you were specifically trying to figure out how to re-distribute wealth more evenly across the server population, this might be what you came up with. 

-Numtini
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 04, 2006, 09:55:19 AM

The funny thing about the cooking requirements is that they added the schools of fish at the same time.  It took me about an hour to catch 20 Yellowtails (I actually enjoy fishing while chatting with others), but fishing in debris and the schools will net someone far more useful catches.  75 Darkspear faction (all I got for 10 signets) and a green item worth a couple of gold for all that time is nothing compared to what I can get if I focus on deviates, firefin, blackmouth or the higher-end fish, especially with the new schools,  once I reach that level of skill.

Copper bars shot up to a minimum of a gold a stack on the auction house.  And they moved Grizzlin whom I have yet to find again. cry

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #21 on: January 04, 2006, 10:09:35 AM

If cockblockery upsets you, you're in the wrong game.  The whole end game in WoW is cockblockery.

The uberguilds will bust this out in a month or 2 and it won't matter any more until the next raid dungeon.

This only really cockblocks a few uberguilds that have completely worn through the old content.

"Me am play gods"
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 04, 2006, 10:12:13 AM

Clean up Britannia!

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: January 04, 2006, 10:14:43 AM

I think the important thing here is that it's a bad way to make people do something. It pangs of "We're not creative...

...so we stole the idea directly from Horizons."

Yea, I'm gonna keep harping on that. As WoW players, you fuckers should be insulted to the core.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 04, 2006, 10:21:48 AM

As WoW players, you fuckers should be insulted to the core.

I always considered the act of insulting WoW players to be your job, in between playing and quiting EQ2.    :mrgreen:

-Numtini
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 04, 2006, 10:24:39 AM

Schild does the hard work so we don't have to.

He's like Flash.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: January 04, 2006, 10:25:43 AM

As WoW players, you fuckers should be insulted to the core.

I always considered the act of insulting WoW players to be your job, in between playing and quiting EQ2.    :mrgreen:

Insulting WoW players is just too easy now. Collecting fish to open up more high level content? Comeon. Material like that writes itself.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #27 on: January 04, 2006, 10:29:15 AM

I did a handful of turnins for faction and random greens. Eh. Looks like AQ is gonna be closed for a bit. Oh well, let the catassers cry over not being able to get a new stack of epics until they cook enough fish.

On the upside, I needed to do Scholomance, and there are 5-mans and raids for it forming all over the place to get that better soul shard bag.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #28 on: January 04, 2006, 10:30:00 AM

Whew, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought this..

I feel the same way. Im not going to grind my ass off. But I will probably do some of the turn ins to finish off my Orgrimmar rep, and also, you can make a SHIT TON of gold doing this correctly. You get a green item (maybe a blue?) every time you do a turn in also, that can sell for 1 to 6 gold. Maybe more if you get a good one and put it on the AH.
Rasix

Reply #29 on: January 04, 2006, 10:30:45 AM

In my experience, crafters without access to their own resource gathering (either by having the appropriate gathering skill, or having an alt or a guildmate with the skill) have pretty much always been touch-and-go.  I suspect that people who really want to craft have resource gathering covered and won't be too affected.  Nodes will probably get camp-assed for a while, we'll have to see how it pans out I guess.

Well, I always assume most crafters have the corresponding gathering skills. I've always ended up needing to supplement from the AH, specifically because I've always done mining related trades.   

But looking at it closer and being a tad less reactionary on my part,  it'll probably only be mining related crafting that will take a noticable hit with mithril, copper and tin being too expensive and nodes are easily camped.   Leatherworkers can always find stuff to skin, they just won't be able to supplement as well.   Tailors will just have to go farm their own cloth because buying will be prohibitively difficult for mageweave and runecloth. Noob alchemists may find a ghost wolf'd shaman running towards their peacebloom.

Eh, the world will keep turning, I guess.  Just with more farming and fishing.

-Rasix
Rasix

Reply #30 on: January 04, 2006, 10:35:32 AM

Oh well, let the catassers cry over not being able to get a new stack of epics until they cook enough fish.

The thought of getting DKP for fishing.. mmm...

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #31 on: January 04, 2006, 01:21:32 PM

Oh well, let the catassers cry over not being able to get a new stack of epics until they cook enough fish.

The thought of getting DKP for fishing.. mmm...

That's the kind of shit would get a motherfucker stabbed, and rightly so.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #32 on: January 04, 2006, 01:31:17 PM

I wonder how many threads of the day will come out of this "event" I'll post anything good that comes of the Arch boards but I doubt any of it will be great, I kind of respect my server at times.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #33 on: January 04, 2006, 02:05:51 PM

I wonder how many threads of the day will come out of this "event" I'll post anything good that comes of the Arch boards but I doubt any of it will be great, I kind of respect my server at times.

So far everyone on my server is working together, a fellow Hordie is posting the stats daily, and people are making alts to mail mats around that each side need/doesn't need.  It's really actually pretty darn cool to see the people I pvp against every night working togethe to get this thing unlocked.  Overall it does have the feeling of a big war drive.  The feeling I'm getting out of it so far is festive.

Ohh wait, BAD BLIZZARD BAD BAD BLIZZZARD.  Whew, I almost lost my "cool" status for a second there.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: January 04, 2006, 04:43:14 PM

So far everyone on my server is working together, a fellow Hordie is posting the stats daily, and people are making alts to mail mats around that each side need/doesn't need.  It's really actually pretty darn cool to see the people I pvp against every night working togethe to get this thing unlocked.  Overall it does have the feeling of a big war drive.  The feeling I'm getting out of it so far is festive.

This is cool.  Nice to hear that some good can come out of otherwise pointless cockblockery.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Behold the massive World Event that opens the Gates of Ahn Quiraj, it's...  
Jump to: