Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:18:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Behold the massive World Event that opens the Gates of Ahn Quiraj, it's... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Behold the massive World Event that opens the Gates of Ahn Quiraj, it's...  (Read 80696 times)
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #35 on: January 04, 2006, 04:52:46 PM

It's a totally lame world event. But considering one of the turn-in items is runecloth bandages i gave it a try to check out the rewards. Got a box with a pair of lvl 52 +17 stam +15 Str mail pants and a blue Julie's Dagger which i sold for 49g. So, um, i'll be turning in lots of runecloth. I get a tonne of the shit anyway.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 04:54:26 PM by squirrel »

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: January 04, 2006, 04:53:20 PM

You are surprised that World Event in a FARMING game involves FARMING?

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: January 04, 2006, 08:24:07 PM

A world event? No. A world event that is a requirement to access unrelated content people might actually enjoy? Yes. And Cevik, what if every server had to go thorugh this to open up the BGs? Would you still be on your "STFU catasses" trip then? Yea make a huge event involving farming, whatever, I don't care. It's when you link it to an intirely different aspect of the game that it gets stupid.

Seriosuly, I cannot for the life of me understand you people at this point in time. Nowhere previous has blizz require you to do any farming to access dungeons. So I don't see where the "you are surprized? Zomgz lololol" comments are coming from. Yea I can farm up shitloads of rep/runecloth/whatever to get access to items that do not otherwise impede my game - things I avoid doing because I can. The largest cockblocks in the game previously were not only rather small by comparison, but all involved either running a dungeon or killing specific mobs. LBRS doesn't have a "insert 10000 runecloth plz" key vending machine.

Catasses? I'm sorry. It seems the lines have been blurred somewhat. Since when was 3-4 hours a day, 4-6 days a week for only a couple weeks to learn a dungeon (IF you go at it hard). Then 4-6 hours a WEEK doing that dungeon afterwards "catassing"? Catassing in my mind is so much time spent that you neglect other aspects of your life to rediculous levels. I'm sorry if you happen to work such crazy-long hours that you can't fit in that much time during the very busiest periods of raiding, for you it would have to be catassing I guess. For the rest of us we can easily make that time and still clean up the kitty-litter. Catasses in this game grind pvp rank. All other aspects require much much less time than "catassing". Also, it's not all about the epix, it's about exploring new content and having fun raiding said content. I realise some people, perhaps even most people do not enjoy raiding, new content or otherwise. Why is it so hard for you to realise that some people DO?

I guess my view makes me "cool", huh? Nice. I was just expressing a point of view I happened to hold, but this coolness factor is certainly a bonus. Thanks for indirectly insulting me for expressing a view you don't hold personally. Appreciate it.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: January 04, 2006, 09:13:56 PM

A world event? No. A world event that is a requirement to access unrelated content people might actually enjoy? Yes. And Cevik, what if every server had to go thorugh this to open up the BGs? Would you still be on your "STFU catasses" trip then? Yea make a huge event involving farming, whatever, I don't care. It's when you link it to an intirely different aspect of the game that it gets stupid.

Seriosuly, I cannot for the life of me understand you people at this point in time. Nowhere previous has blizz require you to do any farming to access dungeons. So I don't see where the "you are surprized? Zomgz lololol" comments are coming from. Yea I can farm up shitloads of rep/runecloth/whatever to get access to items that do not otherwise impede my game - things I avoid doing because I can. The largest cockblocks in the game previously were not only rather small by comparison, but all involved either running a dungeon or killing specific mobs. LBRS doesn't have a "insert 10000 runecloth plz" key vending machine.

Catasses? I'm sorry. It seems the lines have been blurred somewhat. Since when was 3-4 hours a day, 4-6 days a week for only a couple weeks to learn a dungeon (IF you go at it hard). Then 4-6 hours a WEEK doing that dungeon afterwards "catassing"? Catassing in my mind is so much time spent that you neglect other aspects of your life to rediculous levels. I'm sorry if you happen to work such crazy-long hours that you can't fit in that much time during the very busiest periods of raiding, for you it would have to be catassing I guess. For the rest of us we can easily make that time and still clean up the kitty-litter. Catasses in this game grind pvp rank. All other aspects require much much less time than "catassing". Also, it's not all about the epix, it's about exploring new content and having fun raiding said content. I realise some people, perhaps even most people do not enjoy raiding, new content or otherwise. Why is it so hard for you to realise that some people DO?

I guess my view makes me "cool", huh? Nice. I was just expressing a point of view I happened to hold, but this coolness factor is certainly a bonus. Thanks for indirectly insulting me for expressing a view you don't hold personally. Appreciate it.

AQ is for guilds who are mostly done with BWL, wether the new zones where opened with the patch or opened two months from now will affect about .01% of the population.  Im in a guild that farms MC up to domo and is trying onyxia, as it is we almost never can fit in zg raids so having two more new zones wouldn't really help us at all.  Im just happy i can turn in my runecloth and get more money than i could before, i don't feel like im being cockblocked from anything.

I am the .00000001428%
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #39 on: January 04, 2006, 09:36:36 PM

I wasn't aware that AQ was supposed to be beyond BWL in terms of loot and difficulty.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #40 on: January 04, 2006, 09:55:40 PM

I wasn't aware that AQ was supposed to be beyond BWL in terms of loot and difficulty.

From what I've overheard it's supposed to start off easier than MC and by the end be the hardest instance in the game. Who the fuck knows. At this point I get the feeling that this time next year they'll have a dungeon the server has to deposit 3 million heavy stones into "door weights" every month just to keep the fucking thing open in order to spam hotkeys at an infinately oversized kobold model. But it's coveralls will be a different color than normal. And he'll drop some faggy candle that's a 2-handed mace with +40 int, +60 to damage/heals, and reveals all stealthers. Of, and it has a fire DOT effect. There, I just gave you your next instance, you stupid cunty Blizzard raid designers...

Oh, and only the top 200 stone-adders each month can enter. Everyone else gets cockblocked for not being l33t liek teh h4rdc0r3.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #41 on: January 04, 2006, 10:13:09 PM

From what I've overheard it's supposed to start off easier than MC and by the end be the hardest instance in the game. Who the fuck knows. At this point I get the feeling that this time next year they'll have a dungeon the server has to deposit 3 million heavy stones into "door weights" every month just to keep the fucking thing open in order to spam hotkeys at an infinately oversized kobold model. But it's coveralls will be a different color than normal. And he'll drop some faggy candle that's a 2-handed mace with +40 int, +60 to damage/heals, and reveals all stealthers. Of, and it has a fire DOT effect. There, I just gave you your next instance, you stupid cunty Blizzard raid designers...

Oh, and only the top 200 stone-adders each month can enter. Everyone else gets cockblocked for not being l33t liek teh h4rdc0r3.
I'd find it weird if AQ was tougher than BWL overall since there's a 20-manner attached to it. What the hell is the point of the 20-man AQ if you need MC/BWL gear not to die in 40-man version? Is it a bone thrown to the semi-hardcore or people who have things to do in real life?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: January 05, 2006, 01:04:18 AM

AQ is for guilds who are mostly done with BWL, wether the new zones where opened with the patch or opened two months from now will affect about .01% of the population.  Im in a guild that farms MC up to domo and is trying onyxia, as it is we almost never can fit in zg raids so having two more new zones wouldn't really help us at all.  Im just happy i can turn in my runecloth and get more money than i could before, i don't feel like im being cockblocked from anything.

That's the thing though. "It only affects .1%" can be used as a thing against putting it in. But once it's there, it doesn't matter how many people it affects, it's still shitty to cockblock it like this. Would it be any less shitty if such an event was tied to DM when it came out? No, it would just affect more people.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: January 05, 2006, 05:31:27 AM

Just for the sake of argument on catass/casual:

I figure if a person works and sleeps as "standard" (40 hours worked, 8 hours a night slept.)  Plus, a person spends reasonable time eating and taking care of personal hygiene along with other misc. activities (travel to work and back, excercise, etc.) they have a total of around 50 hours of free time per week.

How people spend that 50 hours is the key. 

10%(5 hours) - Ultra Casual, don't expect to ever see the inside of a raid instance and might have one lvl 60 char.
25%(12 hours) - Casual, make 60 fairly quick and get into some raids that other people set up. Has an alt for something "different."
50%(25 hours) - MMOG Gamer, several 60 alts and sets up and attends raids at least twice a week.
75%+(37 hours+) - Catass, Maxed out 60 alts and runs or helps run raiding guild/s.  Raids at least once a night.

If you don't have a job, you can shift this in the logical direction.  If you have family (kids especially) you can shift it the other way.

If you're a workaholic and find it hard to find time to play games, stop trying.  You have work to do!

Super clear now eh???  Yes, I pulled this out of my ass. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #44 on: January 05, 2006, 05:49:15 AM

I think that's a pretty decent way to define it, since it also applies to high school kids who are at school from 7-3ish or whatever. In fact, that's a really good way to work out the math. I've gone from total catass to ultra casual in about 2 years. But does that say something about the genre or the industry as a whole? I still probably spend about 40 hours a week playing various games. It's just a matter of what's on the platter every day.
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #45 on: January 05, 2006, 06:31:47 AM

I understand that you are pissed, but you are misdirecting your anger at me.  I made two statements.  The first was basically:  "if you think the world event sucks, pretend the patch is still on hold and don't do the event.  No one is forcing you to turn in all that heavy leather you were going to vendor anyways."  The second was basically "You guys are saying this isn't a 'world' event and that everyone is pissed, but on my server it's sorta nifty to see everyone work together."

I have another statement now:  Holy Shit I love this event.  I've gotten more greens in a night of skinning/mining than I've probably seen in the ENTIRE DAMN GAME.  All the crap I sold to vendors before turned into enough green items to equip every lowbie in my guild.  And that was only one night of farming, I hope this thing goes on for months.  Sorry about all you l33t raiders not getting your new content (suggestion:  go play with the other 4 dungeons you've gotten since release).  I'm loving this, turn shit into moolah!

Now you can be pissed at me.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: January 05, 2006, 07:17:51 AM

Yea I'm using the event too. I had a bunch of runecloth I was gonna turn into items to DE into dust/essences and use/sell. Turned it into rep and profit instead. I'm also raising fishing for that ZG boss and cooking cause I might as well, the turnins are making it much more profitable and more exciting by adding some randomness and actual reward beyond stoneskin eels. The event itself is actually pretty nifty and quite a nice little earner. Being linked to the opening of a dungeon still sucks tho. :P
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #47 on: January 05, 2006, 07:25:03 AM

Yea I'm using the event too. I had a bunch of runecloth I was gonna turn into items to DE into dust/essences and use/sell. Turned it into rep and profit instead. I'm also raising fishing for that ZG boss and cooking cause I might as well, the turnins are making it much more profitable and more exciting by adding some randomness and actual reward beyond stoneskin eels. The event itself is actually pretty nifty and quite a nice little earner. Being linked to the opening of a dungeon still sucks tho. :P

Yeah, the problem I'm having is, do I really want to keep turning this stuff in for rep, or would I rather start selling it in the AH for 10x the normal price so some other loser can turn it in for rep? :)

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #48 on: January 05, 2006, 08:17:18 AM

Yeah, the problem I'm having is, do I really want to keep turning this stuff in for rep, or would I rather start selling it in the AH for 10x the normal price so some other loser can turn it in for rep? :)

I found some alliance required herbs and put them up in Everlook for an outrageous markup.  Sold. 

:-D

-Rasix
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: January 05, 2006, 08:28:49 AM

That is one upside.  The casuals can profit from the catasses.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: January 05, 2006, 08:52:20 AM

I cry because you didn't listen to me. cry

Hah, that is a good point.  I shall call this "Revenge of the Casuals."  Oh so sweet...

I can't wait for the first "You should be adding to the cause!!1! not charging me for this stuff!"

Go change your poopsock stinky.
Rasix

Reply #51 on: January 05, 2006, 08:54:26 AM

I listened  :-D  Some night elf just posted on the boards that he'll be putting up cheap wool on the neutral AH.  I plan on buying it and reselling it on the horde AH.  Should net a nifty profit.  Thumbs up!

-Rasix
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: January 05, 2006, 09:09:43 AM

As silly as the ammounts required are I will give them this. This is by far and away the easiest way to get max rep with any of the main factions. This is good for those who want to use the AV goat or just buy a mount of one of the other races a lot quicker than the old cloth hand ins.

I was getting 75 faction per 10 of those commendations and handing in rune cloth is super easy. I am guessing the rune cloth stuff will top out fast and people will then migrate to the harder to farm stuff. Having blow that much thorium though is very annoying hehe cry makes my leveling up blacksmithing impossible at the moment as its to hard to get the quantities I need at the prices people are charging now.

kaid
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: January 05, 2006, 09:22:32 AM

I think it's cool to have a major world event that is based upon gathering, despite the fact that one of my guildies is a fucktard who yells at everyone to constantly farm ('trying to get to 60? NO EXCUSES! trying to get requirements for Ony? NO EXCUSES! ALL MUST FARM LINEN!").  But then, I suspect this guy is the sort of person who is available 24/7 to take down whatever raid bosses show up whenever they show up.  So I ignore him quite easily.

I'm on a crowded pvp server (alliance overpopulating horde) and the cooperation between the realms is pretty cool to see.  Earlier today I was killing dinos in Un'goro so a horde mage could skin them.  The emoting was quite funny sometimes.

cevik
I'm Special

Reply #54 on: January 05, 2006, 09:47:15 AM

As silly as the ammounts required are I will give them this. This is by far and away the easiest way to get max rep with any of the main factions. This is good for those who want to use the AV goat or just buy a mount of one of the other races a lot quicker than the old cloth hand ins.

The AV Goat, you mean the Alterac Valley mount?  We can't get AV/AB/WSG rep with these turn ins can we?  If so I can easily be exalted in each of those by the end of this (holy crap, epics for all!).  Surely I'm not understanding something here, I only saw UC/Og/TB reps, are there places to turn in for AV/AB/WSG?!?!!?!?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #55 on: January 05, 2006, 09:58:52 AM

I don't think there are..

Still, what good is rep in other cities? I keep hearing 'rep rep rep, yay rep' but I'm not seeing a benifit to me.  I like my cat on my NE and my horse on my Human.  If I wanted any of the others I'd have done runecloth turn-ins before this. There some special quests I'm missing here, or is it just another mill to grind?

Still, it's given me an excuse to fish again, and I hit 225 finally while going after albacore last night. Glee.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rasix

Reply #56 on: January 05, 2006, 10:04:36 AM

Still, it's given me an excuse to fish again, and I hit 225 finally while going after albacore last night. Glee.

You're actually getting fishing skill ups? Wow.

-Rasix
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #57 on: January 05, 2006, 10:10:46 AM

I think it's just an issue with noob tradeskill levels, not sure. I've gotten skillups on everything I've tried to raise so it may just be that I've gotten lucky.  I'm not doing the artisan fishing quest quite yet, though, so I won't be able to see if getting flagged for a new level hoses me or not.

Fargull
Contributor

Reply #58 on: January 05, 2006, 11:59:24 AM

Levelled first aid last night from 267 to 300 with my warrior.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Rasix

Reply #59 on: January 05, 2006, 12:01:39 PM

Maybe my shaman would be fine with fishing then.  My rogue had maybe 30+ casts at beginning skill and didn't budge.

-Rasix
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #60 on: January 05, 2006, 12:02:48 PM

See, phat loots heal all wounds.

"Me am play gods"
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: January 05, 2006, 12:11:12 PM

No you cannot get Av/Wsg faction from these turn ins but I believe in order to ride the AV mount you have to know goat riding. And to do that you need I believe exhalted faction with ironforge unless you are already a dwarf.

kaid
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #62 on: January 05, 2006, 12:12:38 PM

No you cannot get Av/Wsg faction from these turn ins but I believe in order to ride the AV mount you have to know goat riding. And to do that you need I believe exhalted faction with ironforge unless you are already a dwarf.

kaid

Damn, I'm ohh so close to finishing ab with my priest, and to getting honored with my lock in wsg, that I was thinking "yay, I can get all the factions up this week if I try!"

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: January 05, 2006, 12:17:55 PM

I cry because you didn't listen to me. cry

Hah, that is a good point.  I shall call this "Revenge of the Casuals."  Oh so sweet...

I can't wait for the first "You should be adding to the cause!!1! not charging me for this stuff!"

Go change your poopsock stinky.

I was listening.  I was also agreeing.

:)

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #64 on: January 05, 2006, 12:23:25 PM

kaid

Can anyone confirm this?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #65 on: January 05, 2006, 12:28:38 PM

Maybe my shaman would be fine with fishing then.  My rogue had maybe 30+ casts at beginning skill and didn't budge.

Where were you fishing at?

Fishing is different from other tradeskills in that you can actually fail at it, and not every cast is a skillup.  This is initially why they gave it those great loot tables, until someone figured out how to macrofish.

If you're just starting out you need to fish in the noob area.  I learned fishing in Darkshore as a NE, but couldn't get a skillup for the life of me until someone told me I had to start out in Darnassus.  Sure enough I was getting a skillup per successful catch after that, up until 100 skill.  Then it became every 2 casts, then shortly thereafter every 3-4 and sometime around 175 you're getting random skillups.  +Fishing Lures help a lot and there's a few faqs around with the level of each zone and what fish they drop.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #66 on: January 05, 2006, 12:29:47 PM

Shit almost forgot, here is the new and improved catass-0-meter:

http://www.m3arts.com/aqdata/index.php

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #67 on: January 05, 2006, 12:30:28 PM

Isn't Khaz Modan a couple day old server? They already have 21,000+ turn ins? They will no doubt win.

WTF happened to the server we were on - Earthen Ring?
Rasix

Reply #68 on: January 05, 2006, 12:36:14 PM

Where were you fishing at?

Orgrimmar. A place where I was actually catching fish.

-Rasix
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: January 05, 2006, 04:12:44 PM

kaid

Can anyone confirm this?

Not true, night elf on a goat here and i never needed ironforge faction.  You also dont need horse riding for the undead horse mount that drops from baron in strath, or raptor/tiger riding for the raptor and tiger that drop in ZG.  You DO need tiger riding to ride the tigers from wintersprings though.

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Behold the massive World Event that opens the Gates of Ahn Quiraj, it's...  
Jump to: