Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:54:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Behold the massive World Event that opens the Gates of Ahn Quiraj, it's... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Behold the massive World Event that opens the Gates of Ahn Quiraj, it's...  (Read 81185 times)
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #140 on: January 10, 2006, 11:37:26 PM

I remember having to travel to enemy territory for seal form on my NE Druid, yes.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: January 11, 2006, 01:44:14 AM

Deadmines is actually pretty bad for linen, you get mostly wool.
RFC is good for linen, but it's right in the heart of orgrimmar, so you'll die 235212519878 times getting there.

BTW, alliance have 5-6 quests that involve going to the Barrens at some point (warlock 20, warlock 30, warrior 30, ST unlock quest, felwood cleansing quest, etc etc... and also accessing the 4 instances that'd otherwise be horde-only) and two that involve going to Tirisfal (halloween event, barov... or heck, even just going to SM). Be thankful that you don't have to go to red zones as horde ('cept for the fair and maybe the druid sealform?).. enemy territory is just a huge grief-a-thon on a pvp server with plenty of bored 60s, unless you're a rogue.

The port in spot for Gnomergan for the horde can suck ass majorly too, with tons of low green alliance flagged agro mobs running by. If you kill one you are flagged on a PVE server which can be annoying if there's any high levels around.

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: January 11, 2006, 04:52:19 AM

I just want to say, the amount of linen we're supposed to gather is absurd. I mean really, who was blizzard kidding with this? 800,000 linen! You get roughly 80 linen from a Deadmines run. So, from that logic it's 10,000 Deadmines runs. Say rougly 1,000 people even care about this on the server, and that's 10 runs per person at about an hour a run. That's 10 hours farming linen for 1,000 people. 10,000 man hours just to finish one aspect of the war grind.

I suppose it's not much different than 10 hours somewhere else, but this is to specifically go back and get drops off of trivial mobs. I just thought they'd scale it up towards the upper end having more runecloth required than linen cloth. It's the 60s that are gunning to open this crap anyway.

Some of this stuff is already in the system, my characters cleaned out a bunch of linen, runecloth, etc. that was just sitting in the bank.  I imagine a lot of other people did that too.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #143 on: January 11, 2006, 08:25:46 AM

Since last friday my server has jumped from only 1200 or so Yellowtail and Albacore to being full on Albacore and 93% on Yellowtail.  I suspect is it no coincidence that these are the two most easily botted items (Albacore drops in L10 zones, Yellowtail in 20ish and up) in the effort. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #144 on: January 11, 2006, 08:32:21 AM

I just want to say, the amount of linen we're supposed to gather is absurd. I mean really, who was blizzard kidding with this? 800,000 linen! You get roughly 80 linen from a Deadmines run. So, from that logic it's 10,000 Deadmines runs. Say rougly 1,000 people even care about this on the server, and that's 10 runs per person at about an hour a run. That's 10 hours farming linen for 1,000 people. 10,000 man hours just to finish one aspect of the war grind.

It's not actually that much. I've got probably 1-2k linen accumulated just sitting on a mule, but unless the rewards have any point to them besides level 8 cloaks, then there's little point in not continuing to hoard them for future guildies and alts' first aid.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: January 11, 2006, 09:55:49 AM

It's not actually that much. I've got probably 1-2k linen accumulated just sitting on a mule, but unless the rewards have any point to them besides level 8 cloaks, then there's little point in not continuing to hoard them for future guildies and alts' first aid.

Faction?

pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: January 11, 2006, 12:21:50 PM

Faction?

Is there any point in getting faction beyond Honoured (for 10% cheaper stuff) besides the ridable mounts?  I'm sitting at Honoured for all the Horde factions, and I can't see the point in getting, say, Undercity up to exalted just so I can ride one of dem undead horsies - I'm a big fat cow and I like my big fat Kodo.  Is there any other bonus I'm missing?
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: January 11, 2006, 02:00:04 PM

the e-peen bonus!!! It get's 5% larger with each one capped.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #148 on: January 13, 2006, 12:10:10 PM

More fun with opening the gates...

Ninja strike force.

It's hard to keep people out of server wide announced events that want to participate (or the folks that /who Uberguildname and flock to the area to disrupt or simply just loiter). It's nice that people want to help and have an interest in game lore, but all they're bringing is lag.  So, alliance/horde stealth teams had all of the connecting flight masters to Moonglade killed while a few allied alliance guilds and the top horde guild did the Eranikus event. 

It's funny, we doubt that the alliance guild doing the event is talented enough to actually finish the scepter but we just couldn't compete with them when it comes to farming.  Playing for second place isn't so bad when first place wins for everyone.

Edit: my grammar has sucked today.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 01:47:11 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #149 on: January 13, 2006, 01:43:02 PM

Faction?

So no point, whatsoever then?

In other news, I did a DM run through for a low level friend today, got 4 stacks each of wool and linen, as a FYI for places to farm it.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: January 13, 2006, 02:04:18 PM

1250 Gold.

Wtf.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
DevilsAdvocate
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: January 13, 2006, 04:23:23 PM

Ninja strike force.

It's hard to keep people out of server wide announced events that want to participate (or the folks that /who Uberguildname and flock to the area to disrupt or simply just loiter). It's nice that people want to help and have an interest in game lore, but all they're bringing is lag.  So, alliance/horde stealth teams had all of the connecting flight masters to Moonglade killed while a few allied alliance guilds and the top horde guild did the Eranikus event. 

It's funny, we doubt that the alliance guild doing the event is talented enough to actually finish the scepter but we just couldn't compete with them when it comes to farming.  Playing for second place isn't so bad when first place wins for everyone.

Seriously? Wow, that's pretty crazy.

Although killing the flight masters won't stop druids from getting to Moonglade (they can port there) and it wouldn't stop anyone with at lest Unfriendly with Timbermaw from riding through the caves to it, but it would stop people that didn't know you could get there that way.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #152 on: January 13, 2006, 10:33:34 PM

Ninja strike force.

Wow, what a bunch of shitheads. I would hoof it to Moonglade the hard way just to fuck the event up for that.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #153 on: January 13, 2006, 11:22:30 PM

Deadmines is actually pretty bad for linen, you get mostly wool.
RFC is good for linen, but it's right in the heart of orgrimmar, so you'll die 235212519878 times getting there.

BTW, alliance have 5-6 quests that involve going to the Barrens at some point (warlock 20, warlock 30, warrior 30, ST unlock quest, felwood cleansing quest, etc etc... and also accessing the 4 instances that'd otherwise be horde-only) and two that involve going to Tirisfal (halloween event, barov... or heck, even just going to SM). Be thankful that you don't have to go to red zones as horde ('cept for the fair and maybe the druid sealform?).. enemy territory is just a huge grief-a-thon on a pvp server with plenty of bored 60s, unless you're a rogue.

-- Z.

You realize that 2/3's of the zones for horde quests, horde in the same area as alliance but 5 levels behind?
Rasix

Reply #154 on: January 13, 2006, 11:44:01 PM

Wow, what a bunch of shitheads. I would hoof it to Moonglade the hard way just to fuck the event up for that.

I love this type of angst.  Which is why people were cracking up in vent everytime we took out the flight masters.  In the end it was only maybe 10 people watching (some druids, some hoofed it), with one bitter druid (from the classless alliance uber on our server) spamming random shit trying to fuck up the event.  Most everyone else was rather respectful and actually stayed out of large crowds.  A few horde got flagged and actually were never attacked despite the dumbass druid's insistance to take them down.

It wasn't us trying to fuck the rest of the server over, you just have to complete these type of events under the server conditions you're given. When they announced the AQ gong ritual 600+ alliance and 200+ horde showed up and crashed the server. Luckily you didn't have to do shit for that event.  Hell, on our first attempt in Moonglade we failed due to way too much fucking lag having 150+ people crammed into a small area and heals taking 20 seconds to cast.  Second time everyone was spread out and the flight master killing continued and the event was a success. 

For world events and other large scale events in just about any game you're fighting the server more often than you're fighting your adversaries.  If you can control that, it's in your best interests to.  This is one of those rare instances where the raider can actually squash the casual's experience, as I'm sure some regular flights were interupted.  But it wasn't for long and all anyone had to was stop 5 guys from ganking a flight master :)

-Rasix
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #155 on: January 14, 2006, 09:08:05 AM

It wasn't us trying to fuck the rest of the server over.
No, you were just being shitheads and pissing off players who may have just wanted to use the fucking flightmasters because you wanted your bottle and new shinies sooner. Giggling like retarded children on vent about killing a flightmaster is just as lame as giggling in vent over killing questgivers. There is no defending it, you were griefing to keep the plebes out of an event they have full right to go to. Deal with the lag or stick a cock in it.

I was at the Eranikus event and there was nearly a half-minute's worth of lag on everything. I bandaged myself up from ZERO HP and lived. It was like half the fucking server was there and guess what? It got completed! Even more so, despite there being 600+ people there, pretty much no horde who got flagged were killed in PvP. Not even afterwards.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: January 14, 2006, 09:26:13 AM

Previously, on 'When Mods Attack'...

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #157 on: January 14, 2006, 09:29:25 AM

Previously, on 'When Mods Attack'...
That kind of griefing gets my blood pressure up. I hate this fucking event, and if people insist on doing stuff like that, I hope the gates NEVER open.

...but I'm okay now.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 09:32:16 AM by Fabricated »

Horik
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: January 14, 2006, 01:32:51 PM

So, alliance/horde stealth teams had all of the connecting flight masters to Moonglade killed while a few allied alliance guilds and the top horde guild did the Eranikus event. 

Makes me glad I moved to Sen'Jin if only to momentarily avoid assclownery like this.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #159 on: January 15, 2006, 09:59:59 AM

In the end, I participated in the event and enjoyed it. I did it by selling off all the stockpiles of various cloth that I'd gathered up over time in the AH.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: January 19, 2006, 12:54:25 AM

We did the Erakinus event on my server.  We killled every connecting alliance flightmaster we could find.  Our Server is also PvP.  So there.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #161 on: January 24, 2006, 02:51:49 PM

So.. what can they do? 

Maybe think of something that would involve... *GASP* WORLD PVP?..

World PVP would be the MOST exclusive thing they could have done.

...If there is ANY justice in the world, one of the stages of the event will involve World PVP.  The whining and gnashing of teeth around THIS VERY MESSAGE BOARD will be SO GODDAMN CRAZY that it will create an internet singularity, in which the entire fucking internet will simply cease to HAVE EVER EXISTED.  This sheer density of whining will make the internet not only poof into non-existence, but our very memories of the internet will simply vanish.  No more will I ever have to have listened to your absurd notion THAT any event in a MMOG EVER should EVER have involved PvP...

Ninja strike force.

No, you were just being shitheads and pissing off players who may have just wanted to use the fucking flightmasters because you wanted your bottle and new shinies sooner. Giggling like retarded children on vent about killing a flightmaster is just as lame as giggling in vent over killing questgivers. There is no defending it, you were griefing to keep the plebes out of an event they have full right to go to. Deal with the lag or stick a cock in it.

I was at the Eranikus event and there was nearly a half-minute's worth of lag on everything. I bandaged myself up from ZERO HP and lived. It was like half the fucking server was there and guess what? It got completed! Even more so, despite there being 600+ people there, pretty much no horde who got flagged were killed in PvP. Not even afterwards.

That kind of griefing gets my blood pressure up. I hate this fucking event, and if people insist on doing stuff like that, I hope the gates NEVER open.

...but I'm okay now.

Makes me glad I moved to Sen'Jin if only to momentarily avoid assclownery like this.

And this is what happened when a few players took it upon themselves to include world PVP in the event.  Imagine, just imagine, what it would be like if BLIZZARD FORCED PVP IN THIS EVENT.

Yes, it hurts to be this right this often.

ETA:  Also notice that this is an example of "meaningful pvp".  One side deprives the other of a resource, the other can feel free to come in and fight it out and restore their access to the resource.  The very definition of meaningful pvp.  But instead of marching their level 60 asses in there and taking back the bat route, they come here and bitch about how it's griefing.. :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 02:56:08 PM by cevik »

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #162 on: January 24, 2006, 03:37:20 PM

ETA:  Also notice that this is an example of "meaningful pvp".  One side deprives the other of a resource, the other can feel free to come in and fight it out and restore their access to the resource.  The very definition of meaningful pvp.  But instead of marching their level 60 asses in there and taking back the bat route, they come here and bitch about how it's griefing.. Smiley
You could not possibly be more wrong. If a group of roughly equal level people fight over a resource that can be claimed lost and reclaimed via PVP then it's meaningful.

The flightmasters are used by all level ranges and you can't "get them back" by pvping. If you weren't level 55-60 all you could do is just sit there and watch or die horribly without even so much as mildly annoying the PVP groups.

It was griefing. Period.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 03:39:47 PM by Fabricated »

cevik
I'm Special

Reply #163 on: January 24, 2006, 03:54:13 PM

You could not possibly be more wrong. If a group of roughly equal level people fight over a resource that can be claimed lost and reclaimed via PVP then it's meaningful.

The flightmasters are used by all level ranges and you can't "get them back" by pvping. If you weren't level 55-60 all you could do is just sit there and watch or die horribly without even so much as mildly annoying the PVP groups.

It was griefing. Period.

You absolutely CAN get those fp's back by pvping.

I'll give you a tip on how:  Kill the bastards camping the spawn.  Protect it, when they come back, kill them again.

The Flight Paths are flagged pvp specifically FOR meaningful pvp, and you just experienced it.  People can go to a town, destroy a needed resource, and own that town, until they are removed from the town by other players (or by guard spawns since you'll just bitch about griefing and wait for that).

You don't actually LIKE meaningful pvp because it removes part of the game for YOU and, as every knows YOU are the most important person in the game.  Something that denies YOU part of the game clearly isn't meaningful pvp, instead it's "griefing".

So, keep this in mind next time you guys postulate about how WoW sucks because the pvp isn't forced or isn't meaningful.  It's because carebears will bitch that they have to get off their ass and stop the people from fucking with them, instead of just being able to access any part of the game at their leisure..

It would be grief if they were killing the guards without getting pvp flagged.  It wouldn't be meaningful pvp if there was nothing you could do to stop them from killing the spawn.  Neither of those things are true, these guys took a risk, flagged themselves pvp enabled, and killed the spawn that blizzard put in the game for this very mechanic.  If this happens on my server I'd get people together and kill them (or more likely, I'll be the guy on vent owning the spawn and kililng the flightmaster, just waiting for the allies to come try to reclaim it).

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #164 on: January 24, 2006, 04:02:30 PM

It was griefing. Period.

You absolutely CAN get those fp's back by pvping.

I'll give you a tip on how:  Kill the bastards camping the spawn.  Protect it, when they come back, kill them again.

The Flight Paths are flagged pvp specifically FOR meaningful pvp, and you just experienced it.  People can go to a town, destroy a needed resource, and own that town, until they are removed from the town by other players (or by guard spawns since you'll just bitch about griefing and wait for that).

You don't actually LIKE meaningful pvp because it removes part of the game for YOU and, as every knows YOU are the most important person in the game.  Something that denies YOU part of the game clearly isn't meaningful pvp, instead it's "griefing".

So, keep this in mind next time you guys postulate about how WoW sucks because the pvp isn't forced or isn't meaningful.  It's because carebears will bitch that they have to get off their ass and stop the people from fucking with them, instead of just being able to access any part of the game at their leisure..

It would be grief if they were killing the guards without getting pvp flagged.  It wouldn't be meaningful pvp if there was nothing you could do to stop them from killing the spawn.  Neither of those things are true, these guys took a risk, flagged themselves pvp enabled, and killed the spawn that blizzard put in the game for this very mechanic.  If this happens on my server I'd get people together and kill them (or more likely, I'll be the guy on vent owning the spawn and kililng the flightmaster, just waiting for the allies to come try to reclaim it).
Yeah, I bet those level 10's and 20's can totally wtfpwnz0r the epic ganksquads killing the flightmasters.

If you want to take the retarded "WAHHH YOU WHINY CAREBEAR FAG" route then it's okay if I hoof it to Moonglade and fuck up the event as best I can by killing all the horde or alliance who flag PVP. I mean, what makes the uberguilds so fucking special they can have an event all to themselves. They should be thanking me for engaging in this meaningful PVP by killing all the horde people who accidentally flag during the Eranikus event!

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #165 on: January 24, 2006, 04:26:53 PM

This type of fucking silly shit is why I would never step foot on a pve server, even though in WoW 90% of the time there is no reason to be on a pvp server because almost everything happens in fucking instances be it pvp or pve.

Someone killed a flight master?  oh noes?  Its not like at this point any of those level 10's dont have 60's on their accounts.  Cry me a fucking river.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #166 on: January 24, 2006, 04:38:00 PM

Yeah, I bet those level 10's and 20's can totally wtfpwnz0r the epic ganksquads killing the flightmasters.

This is almost word for word what I said you guys would bitch about if the event included world pvp, just one lonely page back from this one.  Can I call it or what?

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #167 on: January 24, 2006, 04:45:29 PM

This is almost word for word what I said you guys would bitch about if the event included world pvp, just one lonely page back from this one.  Can I call it or what?
I'm not into WoW's PVP in the least at this point so that's precisely what irked me.

cevik
I'm Special

Reply #168 on: January 24, 2006, 04:47:17 PM

I'm not into WoW's PVP in the least at this point so that's precisely what irked me.

Which is exactly what I said on the previous page, if world pvp were worked into the event by blizzard, people would go fucking nuts.  Then I pointed out that even when a (very very limited) amount of world pvp was worked in by the players, you went fucking nuts.  So again I ask:  How can Blizzard have possibly made this event more acceptable to the people around here?  I've heard a lot of bitching about it, but I've yet to see a good answer (in fact, the only answer I've seen is world pvp, and I think we've pretty much proven that that's out)..

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #169 on: January 24, 2006, 04:55:36 PM

Maybe doing some hardware/pipe/software upgrades to handle the inevitable crowds that would show up to the event, temporarily making Flight Masters unattackable, or at least have a way for regular non-catass players or newbies who don't have a 60 yet to watch the really epic stuff if it's just THAT hard to figure out a way for people who want to see it go there.

Rasix

Reply #170 on: January 24, 2006, 05:04:55 PM

<insert waaaahbumlance picture here>

-Rasix
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: January 24, 2006, 05:31:28 PM

Lower levels can suck me. Seriously, this game has been out for over a year. If you aren't 60 yet you're either doing something very wrong, or just have to expect you're gonna miss out with that kind of timetable/alt-itus. If you're new to the game... you missed out on a lot of shit til now, you can handle missing out on this now. I missed out on a number of things starting a few months late... and I don't give a damn.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: January 24, 2006, 08:30:59 PM

If you want to take the retarded "WAHHH YOU WHINY CAREBEAR FAG" route then it's okay if I hoof it to Moonglade and fuck up the event as best I can by killing all the horde or alliance who flag PVP. I mean, what makes the uberguilds so fucking special they can have an event all to themselves. They should be thanking me for engaging in this meaningful PVP by killing all the horde people who accidentally flag during the Eranikus event!

What L10s and 20's are flying into moonglade anyway? Druids port in and fly out. The only other flight points I know that go to moonglade are in felwood, not the most popular zone for the 10-20 crowd.
'
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Behold the massive World Event that opens the Gates of Ahn Quiraj, it's...  
Jump to: