Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:04:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2173419 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14175 on: August 31, 2020, 09:47:12 AM

I'm still slogging away at AC Odyssey, well over a hundred hours now. I've been using a melee suit and an assassin suit and it makes me wish more games would adopt the way Rift (the MMO) did skill trees. Anyway, it's a decent gameplay loop in a world with tons of stuff to check out. It fills the 'turn off the brain' role nicely.

I'm also back into Madden 20. Unsure if I'll buy the new version, in support of #fixmaddenfranchise (because srsly). Playing my 2nd season as the Niners and it's kind of hilarious. I was able to parley my SB win in my 1st season, along with some decent early round picks, into what could be a decent all-star team. I've already brought in a slew of guys like Malcolm Butler, Ndamukong Suh, Derrick Henry, Phillip Dorsett for the slot, etc. As I approach the season 2 playoffs, it's getting to be a bit of a runaway. If I can pull the same trades and free agency again for season 3, I may have to rename them the Santa Clara Globetrotters.

At least until everyone ages out...
Snee
Terracotta Army

Reply #14176 on: September 01, 2020, 08:52:17 AM

Approaching infinity.

A space roguelike from several years ago that finally fell off shrapnel's catalog and is now on early access steam at a plausible price.

The developer is very active.

It's an unforgiving game, but very fun as long as you don't get too attached to your crew.

Don't bring your officers on away team missions until you either have to, or kinda have figured out what you are doing.

And avoid caves unless you have unlimited oxygen. It never goes well.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #14177 on: September 01, 2020, 12:52:17 PM

For children of morta, unlock fire girl and win.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14178 on: September 02, 2020, 09:33:31 AM

CK III first look last night. Conceptually pretty close to CK 2. Some nice changes in interface and gameplay. Using a lot of material from the later CK2 expansions. Easier (I think) to have a casus belli? Combat also feels to me to make more sense on some level.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #14179 on: September 02, 2020, 01:00:29 PM

So since I enjoyed the Witcher Netflix series I decided to reinstall the original Witcher game and play all the way through it this time.. Be a nice distraction to other things going on.

I had forgotten that the first city Vizima is currently on lockdown for the plague, with victims crying out something on the order of "My lungs! My lungs! There is a curse on my lungs...."

Ohhhhh, I see.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14180 on: September 07, 2020, 10:02:51 AM

One thing I'm liking about CK3 is that they've found real reasons to do some of the wacky shit with your character. Like, the only reason I could see previously to let your ruler have an affair was a: you got no heirs with your legit spouse and b: because you were role-playing or whatever. Same for a lot of the plot hooks. But now your folks make a lot of sense as personalities and a lot of the plot hooks are either useful or pretty well necessary. There's a way bigger distinction between members of your dynasty in a way that really feels like an emergent story. I was just playing as Manding (and hey, they got a LOT of the West African references pretty well right) and the first ruler was a scholar that people thought of as a wacky but dangerous sorcerer, whereas his son had an eyepatch, was obsessed with killing the religious leader because the religious leader was sleeping with the son's wife (his dad didn't really care about this), was a health nut who had big money troubles, etc. So that part is even better.

Managing money and staying ahead of the curve with troops is hard though.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #14181 on: September 07, 2020, 01:14:33 PM

I really like CK3 but it has a lot of bugs. They said they fixed inheritance issue but I don't think they have.
Elective gavelkind is really horrible. I think I got soft depending on eldership to save me.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #14182 on: September 08, 2020, 04:18:12 AM

Yesterday I had my first CK3 "stress" incident. I was having a chat with my 10 year old son and somehow we ended up where I had the choice of giving him an absolutely horrible, career ending trait or doing the right thing at the cost of +40 percent stress.

I took the stress, had a breakdown and ended up spending the weekend in a brothel scandalizing the entire kingdom. I got off easy coming out of it with the Lusty trait (or something like that). The only downside from it is -5 opinion from women.

A terrible sacrifice but at least my heir isn't all fucked up. It's not easy playing a wrathful, impatient King.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14183 on: September 08, 2020, 04:35:35 AM

Picked up Craftopia over the weekend (instead of starting yet another Minecraft modpack). It's still in Early Access and that's more notable in the very bad Engrish MTL. It feels a little closer to Ark or Conan Exiles than Minecraft (with a little Breath of the Wild thrown in), except the survival stuff is much more forgiving. There are dungeons which are tough, but the open world doesn't have a lot of aggro mobs. Inventory management is probably my least favorite thing; you have to make a ton of chests to store things and each chest holds only 8 stacks of items. With ~4 hours played I already have 10+ full chests; there is 2nd tier that holds twice as many stacks of items but is 4x the physical size and costs more than 2x resources so it's just not efficient to use.

There are some light loot aspects though, which is nice: tools and materials can drop with random modifiers, so you're not just using Diamond Pickaxes forever. I'm still pretty early in the "ages" it uses to gate content, but so far there aren't a lot of building options. Hopefully I unlock some more and can actually make cool looking structures instead of the Fortnite-looking base I have now. Rather than a large, open world, you start on a small island and gradually unlock other, higher level islands; I'm not sure if they're static or procedurally generated. It certainly has potential, but I need to put some more time in before I can say it's worth purchasing at the moment.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #14184 on: September 08, 2020, 10:25:43 AM

Playing Wasteland 3 because it's on gamepass, and I had been hearing good things. It's a good one of this type of game. I think XCom plays better, but this does it pretty well. The encounter design is good, as there are usually a few ways to tackle a combat encounter and quests often have a few paths to success. Your decisions have actual consequences that play out. It looks like early on you can take a few paths toward the eventual goal.

The bad would be that this is still an inXile game. It is buggy as fuck. For an ugly game, it runs like hot garbage. When you zoom in, there's a huge performance hit. There's a lot of hitches when various unimpressive things happen in game, even mundane stuff such as the enemy taking a turn. While they don't show you NPCs walking inside a room you're not in, they still render the weapons, so you see random floating weapons. It seems like they've fixed some of the weapon balance in the first game, but perhaps some weapons have been overnerfed. Assault rifles are probably the weakest weapon in the game as opposed to their dominance in Wasteland 2.

Overall, it's a mixed bag. It's fun and the story is mildly compelling where it isn't stupidly juvenile. The combat is better than 2. It's probably worth trying on gamepass if you like this type of game. I would avoid buying this at the current price as the introduction and first moments are pretty tight and mask some of the weakness present in the game. You are likely to go beyond a 2 hour refund window before you start to see problems.

-Rasix
Rasix

Reply #14185 on: September 14, 2020, 10:46:35 AM

Just about done with Wasteland 3. I thought I was going to finish last night, but the ending is way f'ing longer than it needs to be. If I were to play this again (which I will not), I would probably set it on a higher difficulty and make the turn order reflect individual initiative and not one team then another team. Because whomever goes first usually is going to stomp the other side. Well, to be more clear, if you don't go first, you are going to lose. They always start in cover and if battle starts and you're not in cover, your team is going to lose several members. The early game balance kind of falls apart in the end. Melee just becomes hideously OP. The combat encounters play out pretty well, when the game isn't hitching and lagging all over the place.

So, as you might guess, I don't think this game is all that great. It's fun, but I wouldn't pay actual money for it in the current state. There's a lot of bugs. You notice them constantly. There's major UI problems. There's major performance problems with a game my son described as looking like "an ugly version of League of Legends". The writing is really bad and the story they plop onto it is odd and not in a good way. It's trying too hard to be quirky. Not much of a spoiler but the stuff with Angela Deth is dumb as hell and makes no logical sense (othan than she's cracked).

This just makes me miss the 2D Fallouts. I'm going to finish it due to absolute stubbornness, but I wish I had just played another run of Factorio instead.

Ohh well, 4 days until PoE league start.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 10:48:14 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #14186 on: September 14, 2020, 12:04:57 PM

I'd gone back to a single player Conan Exiles for the last few days but right now I'm just waiting for the new DLC for the Outer Worlds to download. It's had decent reviews and is only 20 bucks Canadian so what the hell. Sadly you can't start it if you've finished the main quest but another play-through isn't the end of the world for me at least.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14187 on: September 14, 2020, 05:31:34 PM

My latest Conan Exiles hook faded--couldn't really manage to build a family clan, but I did do some of the newer content so it was fine.

Finally have a dynasty in CK3 that's really caught on. I am enjoying it.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14188 on: September 15, 2020, 07:28:13 AM

So I'm at the 125 hour mark in Odyssey.  swamp poop

I hit the point where I was deciding between exploring regions as I get to them, or pushing ahead to finish and then going back to explore some more. Then I remembered I chose option b) when I was playing Origin and after I finished the main quest I never went back, so....I'm going to continue taking it slow and just enjoying the world, as I enjoy the gameplay loop. I'm holding off on new games as I'd rather have the PS5 version at this point, even if that means next year.

I also unlocked my 3rd outfit, so I have a good warrior kit, a decent assassin kit, and now a hunter kit. It's not quite as nice as Rift's multiple class loadouts, but at level 53 with a lot of bonus ability points I've covered the basics enough to have each feel different in gameplay.

I estimate that given the theme, I'll log 200 hours in Valhalla :D
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #14189 on: September 15, 2020, 08:45:05 AM

I'm deep into Divinity Original Sin 2. I'm kind of enjoying it, but it's also been a really disappointing game for me considering how well it reviewed. I'm trying to find ways to deal with the negatives and see if I can finish the story off.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14190 on: September 15, 2020, 11:15:45 AM

I bought it on the PS4 and regret it. The interface is so jank with a controller, I didn't make it through the tutorial (or even very far into that).

I thought I was over isometric rpgs but a few months back I put in some time with Ultima 7.5 and nah, it's just modern isometric rpgs I don't like.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #14191 on: September 15, 2020, 04:06:21 PM

I can't imagine what it's like on a console. My strength character / backpack is a nightmare with around 500+ items now, some of which might be useful at some point. I'm happy with modern isometrics, I've played Pillars and Shadowrun recently and they don't have the issues I see in Divinity.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14192 on: September 15, 2020, 04:50:43 PM

I appreciated that game even while I kind of hated it. It made me realize I just don't like combat that's tuned that way--where if you don't do the exactly right things in exactly the right order you're fucked. At least in a first-person format you can talk yourself into thinking it's your bad twitch that's the problem; in that format you just know it's not twitch, it's not having exactly the right sequence of strategic moves. It's like chess showed up to your D&D game and said "oh too bad you don't know the right eight turn sequence to deal with acid attacks".
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #14193 on: September 15, 2020, 09:26:55 PM

I really wanted to like DOS2, it has all the elements I usually like. It just felt, forced? or something.  I never felt like I was *in* the world, RP style, and the mechanics were more tedious than fun.  Almost RPG on rails maybe?

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #14194 on: September 15, 2020, 09:31:23 PM

Eve Online, as you may see from battle reports in the Eve Online thread.  The horn of Goondor has sounded and PANFAM is at the gates of Delve and hammering into Querious.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #14195 on: September 16, 2020, 06:58:46 AM

I can't imagine what it's like on a console. My strength character / backpack is a nightmare with around 500+ items now, some of which might be useful at some point.

There's a toggleable option to generate sorting bags that make dealing with your inventory much simpler.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #14196 on: September 16, 2020, 11:19:37 AM

So went to check into Conan Exiles and discovered, probably because of the new expansion, Steam wants to redownload the whole game to update. That's eighty something gigs.

Ohhhhh, I see.

And of course no good way to just switch it to completely offline play with no update check, not even going to the game's executable or other old hacks.

Way to go Funcom. I'm sure you don't need my money anymore.
Rasix

Reply #14197 on: September 16, 2020, 01:42:07 PM

We should probably do another F13 server of that expansion.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Started Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. I never played Castelvania:SOTN, so I wasn't sure what to expect outside of a Metroidvania style game. Yep, it's one of these. The plot and NPC stuff is forgettable, but it's fun to play. The exploration aspects are really satisfying. The graphics are fine. Only real gripe is that it feels a bit stiff compared to something like Dead Cells. I don't imagine I'll get through all of this before Friday, but I'll probably still attempt to finish it.

-Rasix
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #14198 on: September 16, 2020, 01:48:04 PM

There's a toggleable option to generate sorting bags that make dealing with your inventory much simpler.

I tried it before but turned it off when autosort didn't work with all the stuff I already had. I tried again because of your comment and found where to pack the bags. Thanks.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #14199 on: September 17, 2020, 08:58:21 PM

Every single single player RPG would be a better game without crafting and useless inventory items.

I blame Bethesda and WoW for this.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14200 on: September 18, 2020, 03:59:41 AM

Since I saw the news about game pass doing a price hike, I decided to sub for $1. First up, Gears Tactics. I've never played a Gears of War game before, but I like TB tactics games and apparently this is a prequel anyway, so it should be okay?

... I'm now in Act 3 and still mystified by how this world works. Like, is every human on this planet consuming roids and one-liners for breakfast? Is the naming scheme of weapons ("gnasher" instead of shotgun, "mulcher" instead of HMG/minigun etc) related to that?Regardless, it's been pretty fun; good production values, and I dig the mechanics rewarding aggressive tactics. Does seem to get a bit samey though, despite the new enemy types being introduced in the later game... feels like a solid B so far, but I think I prefer it to Chimera Squad. And hey, $1 instead of 70 euros (seriously, wtf) was a pretty good price!

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14201 on: September 18, 2020, 06:37:30 AM

Every single single player RPG would be a better game without crafting and useless inventory items.
Even MMOs have had solutions for junk gear for years (like a 'sell all junk' or 'sell all items of less than x quality' button). Playing AC Odyssey, it's crazy the amount of crap normal/uncommon gear I have to dump at the blacksmith to keep the inventory somewhat clean. Exacerbated by support for several outfits (for different playstyles), so I have to try to remember which items I'm not selling every time I do this. It's not a huge burden, but it's a regular pain in the butt that adds nothing to the gameplay (since I haven't work a single blue item since maybe hour 3 of the game).

And for some reason I have to go in and craft arrows manually every now and again (there is an 'autocraft' button that doesn't seem to keep it topped off).

However, I do like some kinds of crafting. Days Gone wasn't too burdensome and the scarcity and theme of it worked for me. It felt correct to be scavenging cars and gas stations for mechanical bits, abstracted as the system may have been.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #14202 on: September 19, 2020, 01:32:24 PM

I agree on crafting and junk items. I think every game would be better without junk, and most games better without crafting. Playing inventory simulator is not my idea of fun.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14203 on: September 19, 2020, 02:39:36 PM

Messed around with Grounded a bit. Gameplay familiar but the basic conceit is fun.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #14204 on: September 19, 2020, 02:42:34 PM

Well on CK3 my first really successful character "Alfred the Great" finally died at the ripe old age of 91 having gone from Earl of Wessex to Emperor of Britannia in a 73 year reign. I started him with a martial lifestyle and chose to specialize on being Gallant. I think that was a lucky first choice because there's a perk in there that makes it less likely for you to die in battle. From there I went to Diplomacy to make fabricating claims and shortening truces easier. Finally, in late middle age I focused on the medical tree in the Learning lifestyle and that has perks that help you live long enough to become Emperor.

I just had to keep warring til I made Emperor because I had no idea how the tech tree worked so I didn't have primogeniture. If I hadn't got the imperial title everything would have turned into a mass of crappy little kingdoms run by my grandchildren.

Next generation I'm thinking about playing with religion. I swear, if I'm prompted to imprison people for routine adultery and fornication many more times my new guy is a going to go all Henry the Eighth on the local archbishop.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14205 on: September 19, 2020, 09:13:18 PM

Has anyone played Othercide or West of Dead? They both came up on the PS4 monthly picks and look cool af but just as buggy.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14206 on: September 20, 2020, 04:36:43 PM

In CK3, if you play as the West African kingdoms, polygamy is a-ok. Fornication out of wedlock not so much, but my Intrigue-based great-grandson of the dynasty founder just had a very naughty threesome and got away with it.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #14207 on: September 20, 2020, 06:15:38 PM

I've learned more about the tech tree and there's no real primogeniture available until almost 1066. The closest I could get was male only sharing out of the titles and then sadly disinheriting all of my sons except the one I like. The disinherited sons don't do so bad. I've managed to scrape up a Duchy for each of them so far and the latest ruler is too old for more kids unless his wife dies.

His reign hasn't been as dramatic as Grampa's. He's spent a lot of time fiddling around with the personal royal realm so that no outsiders are too powerful.  And as a hobby he's nibbling away at West Francia and Aquitaine county by county.
Rasix

Reply #14208 on: September 22, 2020, 10:34:57 AM

Hades. This is very good. Some slowdowns on the Switch, but otherwise, this game is everything I'd heard it to be. I didn't like Transistor, so I was a bit hesitant going in, but this is a quality entry into the roguelike genre. Combat is responsive, good story, visuals and sound are great, and there's enough variety there to keep things interesting. If you're not a fan of the Supergiant formula of "clear this small room of all baddies" this may not be for you. Most fun I've had with one of these since Dead Cells.

PoE league is a bit of a shit show. The new mechanic is really buggy and vastly overtuned. They also introduced a lot of bugs into the base game. It's not great, but should end up being a really fun league once things are working as they should. Given that, I may just sit this one out and save myself from the temptation of getting the supporter pack and some mystery boxes (the MTX in these look excellent). I have enough of a Steam and console backlog to accomplish this, but saying is easier than doing. Character right now is really in a bad spot, league starts are always so painful (4 link at lvl 71, oof).

-Rasix
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14209 on: September 28, 2020, 04:44:20 PM

Hades. This is very good. Some slowdowns on the Switch, but otherwise, this game is everything I'd heard it to be. I didn't like Transistor, so I was a bit hesitant going in, but this is a quality entry into the roguelike genre. Combat is responsive, good story, visuals and sound are great, and there's enough variety there to keep things interesting. If you're not a fan of the Supergiant formula of "clear this small room of all baddies" this may not be for you. Most fun I've had with one of these since Dead Cells.
Hades is actually a visual novel/dating sim with some button mashy combat thrown in -- there's a literal fuckton of dialog (all voiced) in this game. It takes hundreds and hundreds of runs/hours to max out all the relationships and see/hear all the possible dialog combinations and scenes this game has to offer.
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: