Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:08:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2173094 times)
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #14245 on: October 20, 2020, 05:26:42 PM

I suck at D&D minmaxing. Always have. Not sure why, though it's possibly because it's always been so illogical and requires memorizing a bunch of random bits of data and basically planning exactly what your character will be at level 20 and following that exact path from day one and sticking to it.

So Pathfinder:Kingmaker is kicking my butt on Normal mode.   ACK!

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14246 on: October 20, 2020, 08:04:34 PM

You can't play it on Normal mode. Seriously. Among other things, tons of shit does debuffs that last permanently unless you toggle the "debuffs go away when we camp". If you have to use Restoration after every damn fight, you'll be a broken, sobbing person. Even minor fights can utterly cripple your party and force you to camp for a while. The prerolled characters are also abominably set up. Valerie is a decent tank, for example, but she can't really do much damage. Amiri instadies until the midgame and she's not even very good after that point. Set it to easy or at least set a few of the stupider settings to that.

And you can utterly fuck your kingdom over in the early game so that it is essentially impossible to save it from a death spiral later on. You have to level your councillors like a monkey on crack, every chance you get, or they'll have zero percent chance of dealing with problems later. Basically if you want to finish the game you'll have to toggle Invincible Kingdom in the last act unless you're a kingdom-levelling genius.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #14247 on: October 20, 2020, 10:41:54 PM

The Ranger and Mage (make her an Arcane Trickster ASAP) are well-built, as well as the Eccleisathurge.  I like the gnome companion as well, he can really pump out bombs by mid-game which are great for dealing with swarm enemies.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #14248 on: October 21, 2020, 08:05:49 AM

I recently started Obra Dinn. Man, I am shit at this.

I'm at like 25 escapes in Hades, but my highest is only 10 heat. I spent a ton of Titan's blood on 2 aspects that I absolutely hate. Yay.

Main advice I can think of is that a lot of the crew can be guessed contextually, eg. clothing.

Not a fan of the Titan's blood mechanic, seems like a lot of grinding to me. I also think that it'd be more fun if there was a way to test builds other than hoping you get the right boons.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #14249 on: October 21, 2020, 10:21:38 AM

If you're pushing for certain boons, you can use the gift from that god at the beginning of each area to set the next boon to be from that god.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #14250 on: October 21, 2020, 10:41:12 AM

Yeah. You should almost always start with the trinket for whatever boon you're looking to clear with.

Speed runs of this game are pretty damn fast if you want to know what absolutely shreds.

My rule tends to be for boons:

Hits slow and big -> Artemis, Aphrodite, Demeter, Athena

Hits lots of enemies at once -> Ares, Zeus + jolt, anything with a debuff

Hits fast -> Artemis, Zeus, Dionysus, Demeter

I don't find Poseiden useful unless you're taking his dash and combining it with Zeus for Sea Storm. Athena dash is almost always useful. It's used for pretty much all high heat runs.

I recently started Obra Dinn. Man, I am shit at this.

I'm at like 25 escapes in Hades, but my highest is only 10 heat. I spent a ton of Titan's blood on 2 aspects that I absolutely hate. Yay.

Main advice I can think of is that a lot of the crew can be guessed contextually, eg. clothing.

Not a fan of the Titan's blood mechanic, seems like a lot of grinding to me. I also think that it'd be more fun if there was a way to test builds other than hoping you get the right boons.

I'll try that. I'm just not the most observant person on the planet. I've had a long life of not being able to tell shit apart in video games due to color blindness.  awesome, for real I think I'm at only 9 correct at this point. They only lock it in if you're correct, right?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 10:43:19 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #14251 on: October 21, 2020, 12:08:05 PM

Dash deflect is the most overpowered boon don't @ me.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14252 on: October 21, 2020, 12:55:53 PM

It is and it isn't. You do need a lot to max out all the aspects but you also don't need to max them all out unless you are a completionist. Check some guides/videos to see which ones look like you might like to play and do those ones first. You get 12 per "all weapons clear" per heat level so at, say, heat level 5, that's 72 Titan's Bloods ((1+5)*12). You can also usually buy them right before the final boss if you save up your coins and sometimes trade for them at the Broker.

I also think that it'd be more fun if there was a way to test builds other than hoping you get the right boons.
In addition to what Soulflame said you can also use Fated Persuasion from the Mirror to reroll choices. The combination of a keepsake and Fated Persuasion makes it pretty easy to get most of the "left-side" boons (Attack, Special, Cast, Dash, Call) you want in a run consistently.

I don't find Poseiden useful unless you're taking his dash and combining it with Zeus for Sea Storm. Athena dash is almost always useful. It's used for pretty much all high heat runs.
Knock-away wall slam damage* can be very strong and makes clearing some rooms very easy. Knock-away by itself isn't good against bosses but there are some additional boons in conjunction with knock-away that do do increased damage to bosses. He also has good resource farming boons if you still need that stuff.

* and trap damage but I find that less predictable / controllable
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #14253 on: October 21, 2020, 04:34:35 PM

Total War: WARHAMMER II is on Steam for 20 bucks.  Is it worth it?

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Rasix

Reply #14254 on: October 21, 2020, 05:07:01 PM

I'll give the Poseidon boons one thing, you can clear really fast and if the boons hit right, it's a ton of damage. Got a new PB with the Poseidon sword + almost all sea uncle boons. 22:45 (I won't be landing on any leader boards soon) and only bit it once due to being a dumbass.

Is the Epilogue thing another set of credits or an event? I've maxed most relationships minus a few.

edit: Eris rail is ridiculous. Shit is broken. It should probably get nerfed slightly. 20 min clear first time with it and on 6 heat just so I could do a Poseidon's quest involving Theseus.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 09:37:45 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14255 on: October 21, 2020, 05:07:55 PM

Do you have the first one? If so, and you liked it, then yes. If not, then it depends. You'll need a copy of the first one if you want to play the "Mortal Empires" combined Old World and New World map and races campaign in the second one. Without the first one you'll be limited to the "Eye of the Vortex" New World map and races.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14256 on: October 21, 2020, 05:10:56 PM

Is the Epilogue thing another set of credits or an event? I've maxed most relationships minus a few.
There's apparently a quest you get when you've done the prerequisites:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2232655399
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #14257 on: October 22, 2020, 06:30:19 AM

Yes.  Like Trippy said, it's even better if you have the first game as well, but it's just fine on its' own.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #14258 on: October 23, 2020, 05:24:57 AM

Hades stuff

My thoughts on build testing are mainly dealing with the legendaries and duo boons, since they're powerful, swingy and can be hard to get even with the right keepsakes.

I hear you on farming Titan's blood, especially considering it's more end game type content. But I think for something that's unrefundable it can have a huge impact. Plenty of examples at max, like the Aspect of Chiron having twice the shots, or the spear's 4th aspect nearly doubling your health (kinda).
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14259 on: October 23, 2020, 12:04:42 PM

Hades stuff
My thoughts on build testing are mainly dealing with the legendaries and duo boons, since they're powerful, swingy and can be hard to get even with the right keepsakes.
Yeah the game tries very hard to give you 4 different gods' boons* per run which effectively "dilutes" the pool if you are trying for duos, where you really only care about 2 of the 4 gods, or legendaries where you only care about 1.

Edit: * not counting Hermes who is handled separately
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 12:09:38 PM by Trippy »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14260 on: October 26, 2020, 07:24:59 AM

Is this the Hades thread?  why so serious?

So I managed to finish off the Cult (main plot) in Odyssey finally, clocking in at 168 hours according to my save slot. Still have a bunch of stuff, DLC and whatnot, left to check out.

Not sure when they changed up the formula, I wasn't a big AC fan early on and even III didn't click at all for me (and I love the setting the most of all of the games thus far). But Origin and Odyssey just got the gameplay loop right for me. I wish it wasn't quite so shallow, more custom dungeons kinda stuff, but it's hard to complain when I'm still enjoying the basic gameplay after three and a half months!

I will say the final upgrade step for each component of the ship is completely ludicrous. I can't conceive of the effort needed to actually fully upgrade the ship, though getting it to Legendary (gold) isn't too out of line. Took me to level 30 or so to fully upgrade the ship but now that I'm level 63 I haven't upgraded a single segment because the material cost is just massive. Seems weird. Also the whole idea of resources seems bolted on at this point, it felt a bit more natural in Origin, but there is almost always a cash shortage because there's really no good way to make fast cash short of just wholesale murderous carnage ad nauseum, and everything requires buckets of cash.

For a game that's not stingy with gear, it's pretty stingy because, again, you need the same resources to keep your gear up to level. Pick no more than two playstyles, I've been broke constantly just keeping my gear fresh for an assassin build and a warrior build. I have a fun hunter build, but can't keep gear upgraded for it. Also, it would be nice to see a Rift-style role system to sit alongside the gear swap system. Doesn't make much since (esp before the endgame) to have multiple equipment sets when you only have enough skill points for a single build. And even at the late game, I would like to specialize a bit more for each build but I have to generalize my abilities and make up for that with specialized gear. There are some fun builds in there that just get left on the vine because the game doesn't really let you diversify easily (and also the grind for more than 3 equipment slots gets silly, what's with the epic grinds in 2020?).

Also, at this point I want all social bullshit to be opt-in only. Having to reset my map every time I load the game because it always defaults to showing community screenshots on the map is just lazy. Goddamned kids.

I probably have a couple dozen more hours at least in this one, then I think RDR2 is back on deck. We'll see if I can ever finish that one, or if it's a restart on the PS5 :D (or PC if they release a 20GB 3080 before 2022).
Rasix

Reply #14261 on: October 26, 2020, 10:32:59 AM

Is this the Hades thread?  why so serious?

Yes.

Got to the prologue after like 50 clears.  awesome, for real It's not super impressive. It's interesting, but not probably not worth grinding out if you're done with the game. I think I'm going to put it down for a while, perhaps until the cross saving actually works. Spamming buttons on the Switch in handheld mode is giving me hand issues.

Going for the 24 challenges in the PoE league, then I'm done there. Maybe I'll just try some meme builds or handcraft something.

I guess Cyberpunk is soon?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 10:42:05 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14262 on: October 26, 2020, 11:14:02 AM

We're in the release valley. I'm hesitant to pick up Cyberpunk because I'm sure it'll melt down my old i5 2500k/970 PC and I'm not buying any more games on the PS4 in advance of the PS5. I'd rather wait and have a better experience, but it's going to be toooough! Barring a small miracle, this will be the winter of back catalog stuff.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14263 on: October 26, 2020, 11:24:33 AM

There is so much shit out there to play, Cyberpunk is not even registering.  Unless it is amazing.  I am not holding my breath. 

Also, upgrade your stuff, man.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Rasix

Reply #14264 on: October 26, 2020, 11:29:01 AM

There's also some slight trepidation on my part given that all 3 Witcher games had some pretty serious issues at launch. I think 3 was the best out of them, but my memory is a bit hazy. 1 & 2 had some really obnoxious issues and flaws.

We're in the release valley. I'm hesitant to pick up Cyberpunk because I'm sure it'll melt down my old i5 2500k/970 PC and I'm not buying any more games on the PS4 in advance of the PS5. I'd rather wait and have a better experience, but it's going to be toooough! Barring a small miracle, this will be the winter of back catalog stuff.

I believe I've done PC upgrades at least twice due to Witcher related performance issues.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14265 on: October 26, 2020, 12:55:26 PM

You know, my 970 may have been Witcher-related, now that you mention it! And when Cyberpunk was announced, I knew the rough timeline for my next upgrade, so I've been planning it for a while. If the parts I wanted were actually purchase-able, I'd be building it right now! I'm pretty much over upgrading for a new game, but the timeline works out perfectly.

Still think I'll end up with a PS5 before I manage to get the parts for a new PC....

Speaking of PS5, what's the general f13 thought on disc-v-digital? I'm leaning to digital, since I only have the Spider-man disc that came with my PS4 and can't remember the last time I bought a game on disc.

Also, upgrade your stuff, man.
I've got a pretty specific list of what I want. I'm not waiting for the next best tech thing, just the right parts. If they indeed kill the 20GB version of the 3080 I'll be pretty bummed because I feel 10GB of VRAM is going to get tight pretty quick, and I'm not an AMD fan. Good chance I'll push back the PC upgrade until next year this time for the nvidia refresh. I mostly game on the PS4 already, so it'll just be another year like that last one.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 12:59:25 PM by Sky »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14266 on: October 26, 2020, 01:01:49 PM

Is this the Hades thread?  why so serious?
Yes.

Got to the prologue after like 50 clears.  awesome, for real It's not super impressive. It's interesting, but not probably not worth grinding out if you're done with the game. I think I'm going to put it down for a while, perhaps until the cross saving actually works.
I'm not close to the Epilogue yet (haven't been working on the specific gods's hearts), but really it's "Bouldy or bust!" for me, which takes a long time too. I wanna watch some of the special dialog you get when drop it on certain people's heads.

Spamming buttons on the Switch in handheld mode is giving me hand issues.
Playing on the Joy-Cons is also a good way to cause the joysticks (the left one in this case) to drift.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14267 on: October 26, 2020, 01:05:40 PM

Speaking of PS5, what's the general f13 thought on disc-v-digital? I'm leaning to digital, since I only have the Spider-man disc that came with my PS4 and can't remember the last time I bought a game on disc.
I have a collection of 4K Blu-ray movies and no 4K Blu-ray player at the moment so I'm planning on the ugly with Blu-ray drive model. On my PS4 I have mostly digital games now and I do prefer not having to swap discs so I would be okay with just the digital one if I didn't also want to play 4K Blu-ray movies.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14268 on: October 26, 2020, 01:21:07 PM

Yeah, I'd get the disc mostly for that--we still have a pretty substantial DVD and Blu-Ray collection.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #14269 on: October 26, 2020, 02:21:47 PM

Same here on the disc version - I don't have a 4k Blu-Ray player and having it on the PS5 would be one less device I'd have to have a remote for.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #14270 on: October 26, 2020, 07:53:29 PM

I considered the PS5 with the disc player, but frankly I use the one in the PS4 for a movie a year maybe. The wife watches her regular DVDs on it or the Xbox360 in the bedroom. I'd rather save the money and get the digital only given everything is streaming these days. I'm not a graphics geek so I don't care much for all the bleeding edge stuff.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #14271 on: October 27, 2020, 06:21:46 AM

Trying Control, because new PC build and wanted to see how good the Ray tracing stuff looks.

The game is fine and very pretty - but the unexpected bonus is the Max Payne 2 vibe I keep getting is nice.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 06:30:13 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14272 on: October 27, 2020, 06:25:08 AM

I should try it again. I got a ways in and it just wasn't grabbing me.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #14273 on: October 27, 2020, 06:28:37 AM

I'm not far in - I've only got to the bit where I've started opening up my spooky powers, and I'd only rate it fine.

But it just struck me how much the remedy team 'feel' comes through.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #14274 on: October 27, 2020, 06:29:20 AM

Edit :Oops quote instead of modify

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #14275 on: October 27, 2020, 01:41:09 PM

The stance on PS5 digital vs disk:

It depends on what's your life like. If you don't have friends who come over to play stuff together, and if you don't have financial issues that require for you to buy second hand games, then you may go for digital. But personally, I feel it's not worth to "save" $100 to have a) no chance to trade games with friends b) no chance to ever buy a bargain bin or second hand game c) no chance to ever be able to take advantage of possible retro-compatibility d) sure, 4k blu ray why not?

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #14276 on: October 27, 2020, 01:48:15 PM

It depends on what's your life like. If you don't have friends who come over to play stuff together, and if you don't have financial issues that require for you to buy second hand games, then you may go for digital. But personally, I feel it's not worth to "save" $100 to have a) no chance to trade games with friends b) no chance to ever buy a bargain bin or second hand game c) no chance to ever be able to take advantage of possible retro-compatibility d) sure, 4k blu ray why not?

Good points.

I will say, I have primarily purchased most of my games this year on the PS4 in their digital discount bin. I will not ever step foot in a gamestop or best buy again, so getting stuff on disc is probably not going to happen. I also prefer to not have ANOTHER library of media taking up non-existent shelf space in my apt. I think a lot of your points point directly to having a physical piece of media to load into a machine, and these days, there are better options for me - save the trade games with friends (and not having any friends in Denver area yet and most likely not going to have gamer friends - I don't really have that as an option to worry about).

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14277 on: October 28, 2020, 05:24:17 AM

I always forget about physical media for movies, despite maintaining a media dispenser at work  DRILLING AND MANLINESS I guess that decides it for me. I don't tend to buy a ton of games, either. I'd rather pay a bit extra for one game that I play than have the option for tons of cheap games that I won't ever play. I don't know any local gamers at all, I don't tend to hang out with that kind of riff raff.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #14278 on: October 29, 2020, 03:35:25 AM

The points you folks raise are interesting. I usually buy games late, so I'm not sure whether it'd be cheaper to buy second hand discs or go through online sales. Unfortunately I'll probably end up with both an Xbox, because of my Rock Band collection, and a PS, as I've not had one since the PS1.

Been getting a bit tired of Hades, between the RNG, slow clears and some save issues. Will probably try to play it once a week. Started 428: Shibuya Scramble in the mean time.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #14279 on: October 29, 2020, 06:40:09 AM

OTOH my attitude is fuck all plastic clutter filling up my house.

But I completely agree that the difference in cost is neither here nor there.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 06:42:04 AM by eldaec »

Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: