Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:32:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Outer Worlds - Obsidian 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Outer Worlds - Obsidian  (Read 26672 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

on: December 07, 2018, 08:36:00 AM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 09:40:17 AM

That is some shit commentary. The gameplay looks good though.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 09:42:53 AM

Bought.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 02:12:49 PM

A summary from the PC Gamer article (watch out, excessive drooling may happen):

https://www.pcgamer.com/obsidians-the-outer-worlds-blends-firefly-and-fallout-into-a-bold-open-ended-sci-fi-rpg/

Here are some other things I learned about The Outer Worlds:

- It's out in 2019

- It's an Unreal Engine 4 game

- Your protagonist isn't voiced

- There's a special class of "science weapons" that will have special, ridiculous effects, like a shrink ray

- There's a full character creator even though it's first-person only (you'll see your character in the inventory, and if you leave the game idling long)

- Your companions don't have separate inventories. Taking companions with you just gives you more inventory space to work with yourself

- If companions really dislike the decisions you make, they'll leave and go back to the ship. You can persuade them to see things your way

- No romancing companions. They considered it, but decided against it.

- Companions each have a special attack (one named Felix does a double drop kick) but you can also equip them with whatever weapons you want

- Hacking and lockpicking don't have minigames, and are simply based on your attributes

- There are six skills (strength, intelligence etc.) and for every 20 points you put into one (up until 100) you'll gain a new perk

- As in the creators' past games, you can play as a "dumb" character with stupid dialogue options. Your companions react appropriately.

- They're still not sure if it will be possible to play through the game completely pacifist (but you'll almost definitely have to at least kill some robots)

- Robots aren't sentient, but your ship's AI seems to have a strange degree of personality

- Tim Cain wants you to know there are a lot of drugs, but he's not going to pressure you to take them

I like the idea of "flaws" described in the article, which were present in Arcanum character creation (instead, in this game you will get them as you go along, not unlike Darkest Dungeon, uh?). Something a bit more extreme and hardcore would be putting negative/"flawed" attributes like in the Realms of Arkania series, but I like I said, that would probably be a tad too extreme and old school  why so serious?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 02:42:41 PM

The monster art and textures don't quite fit, they have a Wildstar effect that doesn't seem quite right to me compared to the rest of the art. Otherwise looks nifty. Will definitely be cautiously watching how it performs prior to purchase.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 07:24:13 PM

- Your protagonist isn't voiced
Love Letters

Day 1 purchase.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Jade Falcon
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 04:02:49 AM

Yay! I get my single player Fallout after all! It's a Christmas miracle!
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 09:39:22 AM

So we're finally getting that Firefly FPS we've always wanted?

Cool I'm in!
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 01:55:43 PM

I'm getting a Wildstar feel for that trailer, right down to the music. Not a bad thing as I didn't hate Wildstar until it got to be a massive grind.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 01:58:03 PM

I hated Wildstar due to the cartoony style of the characters. Everything else wouldn't have been so bad, so yes I can definitely see the similarities but I am not too worried.

schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 02:28:45 PM

this looks halfway between borderlands and fallout which is an absolute sweetspot and absolutely nothing like wildstar besides a few select palette choices, but even that's a stretch
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 11:00:17 AM

I might love this game already.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 12:31:07 PM

Released mainly to school Betheseda in the fact that actually creative people can always create new characters, stories, lore and places you want to visit rather than just re-hash old IP... and also a good time to harness interest.

It's very bright, and the setting has some similarity with wildstar (smaller scale though) but the feel is different and the mobs much more detailed.

Definitely interesting.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: October 23, 2019, 08:49:32 PM

For those of you ignoring this cause it isn't not on Steam until this time next year and you hate Epic, it is available through Xbox Live for PC and also it's included in the PC Xbox Game Pass:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/the-outer-worlds/9mwd2z8l1fbq?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Windows 10 is required, however.
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: October 23, 2019, 08:58:07 PM

i've been tempted to buy it that way because it'll cost $1 and that feels pretty fucking punishing for this Epic garbage

but like, the best RPG of the decade just came out and it isn't Outer Worlds
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 24, 2019, 03:05:04 AM

Err what's that game?

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 24, 2019, 03:34:59 AM

Err what's that game?

Yes

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 24, 2019, 03:38:37 AM

Or to be less snarky, look down the list of posts in the Gaming forum and find the one Schild jizzed all over.

I feel like we need to have a more indepth conversation about this Xbox PC pass thingy.  Is there anything actually worth a shit on this service worth playing, besides this game?  I get that it's only a dollar (for now), but that doesn't automatically mean I should bother with it.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #18 on: October 24, 2019, 07:28:17 AM

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 24, 2019, 08:04:01 AM

It is FULL of things worth playing. But as usual, mileage varied and all that. It is an incredible deal and that is a fact. The only downside is that eventually some games will rotate out and that will feel like shit if it's something you are playing, but so far it's more like a hypothetical fear than something that really happened to anyone I know.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 24, 2019, 08:16:14 AM

It is FULL of things worth playing. But as usual, mileage varied and all that. It is an incredible deal and that is a fact. The only downside is that eventually some games will rotate out and that will feel like shit if it's something you are playing, but so far it's more like a hypothetical fear than something that really happened to anyone I know.

Everything he said and then some more.

For example, you can use it as a "try before you buy" for longer games (CRPGs), and/or maybe for sub-genres you're not particularly interested in, but you would still like to try  (that's my case with Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, for example). And also, games that went through some troubled launch, now updated and released on Game Pass, like Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut.

You get the idea. And, I mean, if you are still able to dedicate quite a lot of time to videogames, you can fit in A LOT of games in a month (like I said, even if you just want to gave them a try out of curiosity) for 3.99.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #21 on: October 24, 2019, 05:04:38 PM

Why is it called Xbox game pass when its function is to provide rental of PC games on Windows 10? Anyway, I paid my $1 and am at work with Outer Worlds downloading at home.

Earlier in the morning I was considering a cheap Xbox One X deal where Outer Worlds was bundled. Then suddenly I had saved A$458.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #22 on: October 24, 2019, 07:27:16 PM

Why is it called Xbox game pass when its function is to provide rental of PC games on Windows 10?
Because they ditched the "Games for Windows - Live" branding and have decided to brand all Microsoft gaming stuff no matter the platform stuff runs on (they've implied it'll be more than just Xbox consoles and Windows) with "Xbox".
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #23 on: October 24, 2019, 08:00:04 PM

"What did you play it on?"
"Xbox. For PC."
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #24 on: October 24, 2019, 08:39:52 PM

Welp, I'm happy to say I was able to play The Outer Worlds for $1 (maybe a total of $6 by the time I'm done) and didn't have to give Tencent/Epic my money. Suck on that, China.

How fucked up is this timeline? I feel like I'm "sticking it to the man" by giving MICROSOFT money. I want to die.

schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: October 24, 2019, 08:46:57 PM

microsoft is the good guy now, haemish
schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: October 24, 2019, 10:50:07 PM

this is just fallout 5

if you want fallout 5, great
if you don't want fallout 5, you should be doing a MAX inland empire run in disco elysium because this is not better than that
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 24, 2019, 10:52:47 PM

But Fallout 5 in space, right?  That sounds okay.  Though I have heard it sorta lacks content, which doesn't sound very Fallout-y to me.

schild
Administrator

Reply #28 on: October 24, 2019, 11:05:01 PM

earth is in space my dude

also the last fallout had 0 content
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #29 on: October 25, 2019, 02:08:48 AM

You have to qualify it, Schild. Fallout 5 makes it sound like a successor to 4 which this is (gladly) not. It's Fallout: New Vegas in space minus the bugs and jank of Bethesda's Gamebryo engine (it's UE4 and not even Obisidian seem to be able to break that engine) and with fewer Roman cosplayers.

It's easy.
If you liked Fallout 1, 2 or New Vegas buy this since it's essentially Fallouter Worlds - now with even more critique of rampant capitalism.
If you liked Planescape: Torment buy Disco Elysium because it takes everything that was awesome about that game and takes it up to 11.

Or buy both because both are really good.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #30 on: October 25, 2019, 02:15:33 AM

Moving around in the graphics and I'm thinking: No Man's Fallout.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #31 on: October 25, 2019, 02:27:07 AM

Bought it on the epic store because I'm weird like that. Also because I wanted to see what all of the hubbub is about. Epic game store is even worse than PSN.

You can't even preload games that then unlock them at release. It also has a significantly slower download speed than Steam. This client lacks so many features and it's slow as molasses.
Seriously all of the Fortnite money and all they could come up with is something even more bare bones than the windows store?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 25, 2019, 02:29:49 AM

earth is in space my dude

also the last fallout had 0 content

Fine, then it's Fallout 5 in a different part of space but possibly some of the same aliens.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 25, 2019, 02:31:41 AM

Welp, downloaded it from Microsoft and hope I will finish it in one month. If not, I just lost 1 Euro. If I buy in in a sale to finish it I still come out ahead.  awesome, for real

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 25, 2019, 03:40:43 AM

It's more like Fallout:NV in space than Fallout 3/4, and that's a notable difference when it comes to variety of dialogue choices (and consequences), companions, depth of plot and characters etc.

Welp, downloaded it from Microsoft and hope I will finish it in one month. If not, I just lost 1 Euro. If I buy in in a sale to finish it I still come out ahead.  awesome, for real

Good dawg boy  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Outer Worlds - Obsidian  
Jump to: