Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:56:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Avengers: Endgame 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Avengers: Endgame  (Read 60246 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: July 02, 2019, 04:43:53 PM

Resaw it. The extras are very lame and you shouldn't go for that reason. We just went to see it a second time, that's all. Which was fun. It's a pretty satisfying film on a second view.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: July 02, 2019, 09:50:11 PM

We'll see in a month or so whether SM:FFH ignores the 5 years, dismisses it in a line or two, discusses it throughout as meaningless background noise/exposition, or whether it informs the storyline(s) meaningfully. 
Answer:

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: July 03, 2019, 06:21:34 AM

There are at least vague hints of how it might be a more complicated and difficult thing in other MCU movies that are comfortable with darker emotional tonality, too. It's kind of too bad that the Netflix series have ended, because they could have really done some good stuff with the Blip.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: July 03, 2019, 10:50:50 AM

When refering to a possible future for the Netflix series, Feige recently said they love the characters, that they have contractual issues (the 18 to 24 month wait), but that saying anything else would be a spoiler.  That implies a future.  I'm betting we get Daredevil with Charlie Cox back in some form, and that there is a Heroes for Hire series that picks up the lives of these characters, post blip, and continues their stories (possibly with some recasting of certain people that have said that they are done with their characters).

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: July 03, 2019, 10:54:36 AM

Regarding how people returned after the blip...
Minor S-M FFH spoiler:    

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: July 03, 2019, 01:35:05 PM

That was pretty much played for laughs, but you know, you do you.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: July 03, 2019, 03:07:32 PM

I think in this case you can imagine that maybe it wouldn't be as much for laughs in another vehicle. It's actually a pretty good story engine for the future if they feel like sticking to it.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: July 04, 2019, 07:47:00 PM

That was pretty much played for laughs, but you know, you do you.

You mean a b storyline was comedic?  Someone call the Movie Police.

They worked it into a lot of the movie. They could have told the exact same story and excluded all references to it. Thus, it was in that middle zone.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #218 on: July 30, 2019, 08:17:17 AM

Still wondering if Gamora is alive?

Yes, as shown by an Endgame deleted scene.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #219 on: October 04, 2019, 04:44:06 AM

Finally saw it yesterday and found it largely meh. It was mostly OK but establishing the "world after the snap" took way too long and not long enough at the same time. So there wasn't that much time left to make the actual heist movie part and the climactic fight at the end work well because the world building took so long. At the same time the movie didn't have enough time to really flesh out how the world had changed during the last five years.

The ending is Fallout 3 levels of stupid though. It's even the same stupid setup with a radiation immune green guy that somehow can't use the glove for plot reasons so that RDJ can die a heroic death. Also the whole plot hinges on Strange giving his stone to Thanos so that monk Tilda Swinton gives it to smart Hulk and not her universe version of Dr. Strange for reasons that aren't explained at all.

It#s still an OK end to something that is almost impossible to wrap up anyway
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #220 on: October 04, 2019, 06:35:17 AM

The ending is Fallout 3 levels of stupid though. It's even the same stupid setup with a radiation immune green guy that somehow can't use the glove for plot reasons so that RDJ can die a heroic death. Also the whole plot hinges on Strange giving his stone to Thanos so that monk Tilda Swinton gives it to smart Hulk and not her universe version of Dr. Strange for reasons that aren't explained at all.
She gave it to hulk temporarily on the promise he'd bring it back (Which cap did).  So she still gave it to Strange in her own timeline.

And the reasons seemed pretty clear on the glove.  It uses so much power that even with the glove, only a super strong being can wield it.  Thanos using it twice almost killed him, and they showed that his arm was super fucked up after using it the second time.  Hulk, who is weaker than Thanos, was able to do it, but it fucked him up pretty bad in the process and likely would kill him on a second go.  Then Thanos attacked, and everybody played hot potato with the stones till Stark was positioned in a small window to steal and use the stones. 

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: February 04, 2021, 01:54:13 PM

I think in this case you can imagine that maybe it wouldn't be as much for laughs in another vehicle. It's actually a pretty good story engine for the future if they feel like sticking to it.

Just looking back on this conversation, here's another example of why not to underestimate Feige and the MCU folks--Wandavision went back to the Blip and took it seriously and it was harrowing. But they also are treating it as the story engine that fuels the next phase of movies and series, clearly--e.g., building SWORD up was a response to the Blip, but I think it's also going to be used to argue that this is why you have to have superheroes and why the Sokovia Accords are irrelevant. Everybody on Earth is now aware that there are terrible threats out there in the universe that are beyond the power of ordinary human beings to fight. It's also pretty clear that they're not going to just pretend that everybody on MCU Earth has forgotten what happened or is unaware that there are aliens etc.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Avengers: Endgame  
Jump to: