Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:29:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Justice League 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Justice League  (Read 60467 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #35 on: June 22, 2017, 08:38:24 AM

Wonder Woman doesn't give me hope that JL will be good. After all, it's still at heart a Synder movie and he is dreadful. However, I will go see it because I've always wanted a Justice League movie. Fuck, I LIKED Suicide Squad and that was actually a worse movie than BVS if you dissect it as a film (even as a superhero movie). Clearly my tastes when it comes to superhero movies is suspect.  why so serious?

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: June 22, 2017, 11:27:51 AM

Fuck, I LIKED Suicide Squad and that was actually a worse movie than BVS if you dissect it as a film (even as a superhero movie). Clearly my taste is suspect.  why so serious?

fify

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: June 22, 2017, 12:21:20 PM

Suicide Squad was a repeated kick in the baws.  Awful.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 22, 2017, 12:43:00 PM

I'm not talking about fucking actors.  I'm talking about Shotgun Batman and Clark from Accounting who just don't give a fuck.

These are the new characters and I am entirely uninterested in them.  I truly expect, after the excrement of the first two, for Aquaman to be allergic to water, Barry to have dislocated knees and Cyborg to be based on Windows XP...
I'd actually like to see that as an animated 15 minute short...

Regardless, Whedon probably can't touch the big budget effects combats.  However, the character driven scenes are where he can take the characters that were horrible in prior movies, can take the characters that were developed by Synder in this movie, and all the other elements that we all knew WERE NOT GOING TO WORK IN THE SLIGHTEST in a Snyder JL pic - and give us what we want.  

I would not cast Affleck, but he can do a better Batman than we saw in BvS (with better direction).  Will it be the Batman I always wanted?  No.  I have no hope that Affleck will give us the Batman we want.  However, do I think he can be a serviceable Batman that perhaps isn't the strength of the film, but may not be a detriment?  Yeah, I think Whedon might be able to make that happen.  Affleck is clearly begging for help as he does not want to ruin Batman like he did Daredevil.  We can turn that negative into a non-negative.

Supes is hardly in the film.  He seems to be a third act addition.  He went through major trauma and they can totally change him as a result.  I think Whedon will have a good take on Supes and will at least be able to set Supes on the right path by the END of the movie.  My suspicion is that he comes in as a villain in there somewhere when he rises from the grave for a big budget fight that won't be cut, so I think we'll be stuck with some %@#$ that Whedon will just have to accept and move beyond after we cringe a few times.

Flash, Cyborg, etc... I'm betting will be a bit disjointed in the action/non-action transitions as we see more Snyder idiocy in the action and more character depth outside combat.  I think Whedon will improve on what Snyder will have done.  Aquaman - fish out of water.  Cyborg - didn't want his heroic future heaped upon him.  Flash - cocky and embraces his abilities.  All of those seem like Whedon template characters.  

As for Suicide Squad - 90% crap.  10% amazeballs.  Harley Quinn was pretty darn perfect.

I am not going to write it off, yet.  After what Whedon did with the Hulk, while being bound by Marvel's directions as to how the combat would take place, gives me hope.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 22, 2017, 05:37:09 PM

What's with the Affleck hate?  Besides Wonder Woman, Batfleck was the only home run hit in that movie.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #40 on: June 22, 2017, 06:25:55 PM

What's with the Affleck hate?  Besides Wonder Woman, Batfleck was the only home run hit in that movie.

This. There was plenty wrong with Batman vs. Superman but Affleck as Batman was not one of those things.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 22, 2017, 08:38:27 PM

I disagree. And, if you recall, Affleck also was highly critical of his own role in the finished film.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #42 on: June 22, 2017, 08:42:05 PM

I do not recall that and I submit that Affleck was probably too drunk when he was watching it to know the difference.  why so serious?

I mean, there's a lot of shit you can throw at BVS to criticize it that are valid points, and on that list of shit, Affleck is WAY near the bottom, just above Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 23, 2017, 01:18:01 AM

Guys, for me, the criticism is not about 'Affleck'.  He did fine with what he was given.  It's about what he was given.  The Batman/Wayne they made him play was both fucking awful and entirely tonally deaf.

He's a Batman that shoots guns and brands thugs so they die.  They tried to take Dark Knight Returns (indeed, some of the scenes are direct lifts) and it was unearned and shoddy.

I have no problem with Affleck.  I have no problem with Clooney.  I even have no problem with Kilmer.  But Jesus Wept, I do have a problem with an awful Batman on screen.

And that's not even touching Cowardly Clark and his Retarded Father.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #44 on: June 23, 2017, 08:07:23 AM

I have no problem with Affleck.  I have no problem with Clooney.  I even have no problem with Kilmer.  But Jesus Wept, I do have a problem with an awful Batman on screen.

And that's not even touching Cowardly Clark and his Retarded Father.

These things are truth. For a character with such a long cinematic history, Batman has been written badly very very often. Clooney, Kilmer and Affleck are all good actors who did the best they could with really shitty scripts and poor direction.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 23, 2017, 10:18:39 AM

OK - put the evaluation of Affleck aside. 

Look at Wonder Woman.

In BvS, people nodded and said, "Not Bad".  They did not rave about her the same way we are after WW had her own movie and was handled correctly.  I went from thinking, "Yeah, she was ok.  She doesn't really feel like the WW I'd imagined, but better than the rest of the DCEU," after seeing BvS.  After seeing WW, I was impressed.  "This isn't the WW I imagined, but it is a great WW.  Like Downey did for Tony Stark, Gadot made her own Wonder Woman that is charismatic and built for film.  It wasn't a perfect film, but she is a great WW."

Whedon handled each hero well in Avengers.  Widow and the Russians.  Widow and Banner in India.  Fury and Cap in the boxing ring.  Stark and Cap discussing ideology.  Banner and Stark in the lab.   

Those are the type of scenes that Whedon is going to change. 

I don't think we get a 'Puny God', Hulk Smash Thor, or any other signature Whedon moment in the big combat scenes as it is too late to rework them, but I do expect Whedon to give us better glue to hold the combat together.

And to be honest, although a bit flat, the fights in Man of Steel and BvS were typical summer blockbuster spectacles.  I expect the fights in JL to be similar - not really adding to the story, but a fine spectacle to watch.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #46 on: June 23, 2017, 10:30:21 AM

You are seriously projecting. I like Whedon, but I don't think he's going to have that much of an effect on this movie.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 23, 2017, 11:26:31 AM

Look at Wonder Woman.

In BvS, people nodded and said, "Not Bad".

Yeah, but that was nothing to do with story or character or anything.  It was Gal Gadot for fucks sake.  Even typing her name I'm thinking 'Not Bad'.   why so serious?

(and, yes, I've taken your advice and I'm looking at her.  Damn.  I mean.  Truly.  Damn.)

EDITED TO ADD :  People SHAT on Widow for her 'can't have kids scene'.  Where were you ?  He's not a Messiah dude.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: June 23, 2017, 02:14:50 PM

Whedon directed avengers 2, i rest my case.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 23, 2017, 06:24:49 PM

And he quit Marvel when they forced him to gut the movie, including the Widow kids scene.

I get it. You all say 0%  chance JL can be a film worth seeing in theaters. Noted.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #50 on: June 23, 2017, 07:18:31 PM

Bear in mind, I'll still be seeing the movie in theaters. I just don't think it's going to be very good.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #51 on: July 23, 2017, 12:20:09 AM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #52 on: July 23, 2017, 09:55:58 AM

I think the 4-minute trailer from SDCC was much better. I still don't think it's going to be great but I think it might not be as Synder-iffic as it first appeared.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: July 23, 2017, 01:08:58 PM

Apropros of the earlier conversation, I feel very certain that the whole "everybody but Flash disappears" bit at the end is a Whedon-written and directed bit.

That's really the difference--Snyder doesn't *believe* in Easter Eggs of any kind, or in making deep and knowing use of the particular tropes associated with various characters. He loves to recreate actual scenes and visual elements from other stories, but he doesn't know the narrative grammar of his source material. Whedon does; sometimes that is an annoying thing about him, but it's a far better starting place for making comic-book movies than just wanting the storyboards to look like the comic panels. If you think about movies that have been more influenced by the visual look of comics rather than their narrative engines or characters, almost all of them are shitty, sometimes surpassingly shitty.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: July 23, 2017, 10:23:34 PM

Unlike Wonder Women, I don't expect to go see the movie. -

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: July 24, 2017, 02:39:43 AM

Superman was an icon of hope ?

When ?

When in any of the Synder Movies was he this ?  He was a rampaging fuck cunt that blew shit up.

Fuck this movie.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: July 24, 2017, 07:17:59 AM

They did build a statue to him... and he died saving them. Snyder didn't do it well, but he intended for people to be split on Supes.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: July 24, 2017, 09:45:32 AM

He didn't do it all well--he more or less crammed a teeny bit into BvS intended to just state that some people love Superman. For no reason, really, because he doesn't have a long history of doing good deeds *and* he doesn't have the classic sunny Boy Scout Superman personality, but instead mostly just scowls like he's about to take a super-shit.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #58 on: July 24, 2017, 10:12:28 AM

When in any of the Synder Movies was he this ?  He was a rampaging fuck cunt that blew shit up.

Yeah, they keep saying that like they've earned it, but he wasn't. He was a brooding messiah figure at best.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #59 on: July 24, 2017, 10:28:51 AM

It's based entirely, ENTIRELY, on 2-3 bullshit scenes wedged into BvsS. Scenes you can see outlined here as Sins because I've been binge watching Cinema Sins at work as I avoid personal problems. The Flood Scene, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5tSpgU96WY

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: November 16, 2017, 10:45:42 AM

I'll assume that since I'm bumping this for the 40% RT score and the lack of any commentary on this thread since July that I should probably wait for this to show up in the Redbox.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: November 16, 2017, 11:20:51 AM

Aw, I was going to post about the initial 40% on RT.

Given that I'm pretty sure movies like this are screened to as friendly an audience as possible, I expect it to go down into the mid 20s once reviews are more general.

I may end up going to see this because Wonder Woman was that good, and the children are interested in seeing this as a result.

Silly pre-adult persons.  You will learn sorrow on that day.  Probably.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #62 on: November 16, 2017, 11:47:20 AM

Geeks of Doom said it was flawed but good. That reminds me I need to book my ticket.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: November 16, 2017, 11:53:06 AM

Geeks of Doom said it was flawed but good. That reminds me I need to book my ticket.

People said the same with BvS so take that for what it's worth.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: November 16, 2017, 12:32:11 PM

Reviews are positive, but not outstanding.  Reportedly: It takes some steps back with some characters, and takes huge steps forward with others.  Overall, though, reviews seem to indicate this is a good move forward for the DCEU, but not up to Marvel standards.

Anyone want to review it for us?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 11:03:22 AM by jgsugden »

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: November 17, 2017, 11:47:25 AM

The ringers review was NOT positive.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #66 on: November 18, 2017, 04:22:13 PM

This was a success, IMO, specifically in spite of all its structural flaws. Warners really really got lucky with this one because their attempts to rush a franchise into being should not work at all. The characters have camaraderie and chemistry that they shouldn't have, mostly because all of the actors are really good at playing the roles that were written for them. One may disagree with their characterizations of Barry Allen (as he's the one that's farthest from any interpretation of the character seen in comics to date - he's more like Impulse than most Barry Allen Flash versions), but the rest of them were pretty close to some version of the character that's appeared in the comics and were well done. Aquaman was the star of the show because Jason Mamoa is just that awesome. I was surprised that the runtime is right at 2 hours, which meant that it is really rushed but at the same time, I don't feel like the story suffered too bad for it. It's a thin story and I'd be interested to see the longer director's cut to see what they managed to trim.

I'm still not a fan of their over saturated color palette, but in this one, it really only bothers me in the action sequences. It gives them a feeling of even more unreality than BvS, a feeling of very shiny, very CGI'ed action. However, that's kind of a minor quibble. I think Marvel does set piece action like this better as I think they use much more practical effects and they don't fuck with the colors so blatantly. One good note on this film is that the action sequences are kind of the least important part of this. The character interaction really is the best part.

Stay through the entire credits.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: November 18, 2017, 04:46:06 PM

Movie was entertaining, mostly carried by how good a job the actors did with what they had to work with. The action was serviceable but definitely a step or two below any Marvel attempt. The cameos were cool. They killed Doutzen Kroes though so i give it a 0/10.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 04:51:02 PM by Threash »

I am the .00000001428%
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: November 19, 2017, 12:49:51 AM

This movie just highlights  I preferred Suicide Squad over this because of it, though I did enjoy Justice League and think DC might be turning a corner with this and Wonder Woman.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: November 19, 2017, 02:18:35 AM

I preferred Suicide Squad over this because of it, though I did enjoy Justice League...

You are a madman.  ACK!

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Justice League  
Jump to: