Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:37:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi  (Read 248137 times)
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #105 on: April 15, 2017, 09:22:30 AM

TFA was too close to the original but still good, fan service aside (I'm a fan).  But there's no need for this sequel to be an explicit remake-homage to ESB.  I'll be disappointed if it's a beat for beat copy.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 09:27:59 AM by Soln »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #106 on: April 15, 2017, 09:31:31 AM

If it's "accept what life is telling you, evolve and grow as you must, be what you are meant to be", there's a lot of story-telling goodness as well as ethical wisdom in there. "Be open to life around you, learn from how life grows and suffers and wants": ah yss. That's basically spaghetti Westerns replacing the old white-hat/black-hat Westerns and it's good.

That's my hope, too.

And I think it's the way they're going, because that puts in a path for Rey to bring Kylo back into balance.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: April 15, 2017, 04:41:01 PM

How do you go from 1min trailer to ESB remake I mean, did I miss the super extended version? Did ESB include grey jedis and I missed that part? It's like I'm reading these forums taking crazy pills.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #108 on: April 16, 2017, 03:43:55 AM

Some people love shitting on a thing. Others decide that their childhood trumps others so anything derivative of or not fully validating their childhood is crap. Then some folks are just assholes.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #109 on: April 16, 2017, 11:12:05 AM

How do you go from 1min trailer to ESB remake I mean, did I miss the super extended version? Did ESB include grey jedis and I missed that part? It's like I'm reading these forums taking crazy pills.

You're correct there's going to be original content, but my concern was that the overall story will be ESB (and I hope I'm wrong).  Luke as "your father ", Hoth opening with AT-ATs but on a desert planet.  We'll see, hope for the best.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: April 16, 2017, 03:16:41 PM

I'm sure it'll have lightsabers too, fucking unoriginal bastards.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: April 16, 2017, 03:34:08 PM

To be fair, I thought it was a pretty clear ESB style teaser with the cave, the training, the friends in trouble.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: April 16, 2017, 08:08:11 PM

To be fair, I thought it was a pretty clear ESB style teaser with the cave, the training, the friends in trouble.

The At-Ats are a bit too ESB for my tastes but the rest of it didn't give me ESB vibes at all.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: June 21, 2017, 07:32:22 AM

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: June 21, 2017, 07:45:56 AM

I think they decided on a plan years ago when they bought Lucas Arts to have their big core trilogy follow a similar story arc to episodes 4-6. This was a decision made at the highest levels of Disney Corp as a safe way to begin recouping their $4 billion outlay for the franchise. This plan is not going to be deviated from now unless episode 8 completely flops (not likely). They have more artistic leeway in the spinoff movies, and then after this first trilogy is completed.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #115 on: June 21, 2017, 09:07:54 AM

That's exactly what it is. They didn't quit, they were fired, mostly for riffing instead of sticking to the script.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-why-han-solo-movie-directors-were-fired-1015474

Kennedy had also expressed concern not only at the direction of some of the action scenes, but Clarke and Aldean's performances. "wooden" is apparently used in the descriptions, though I haven't read the base articles yet. Apparently there were also concerns about hiring Lord and Miller in the first place, based on what I've read in the last few hours.

When relaying the information provided to them by their source, The Weekly Planet Podcast did insist that while the script for the still untitled Han Solo is “very funny,” Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy has told directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller that both the action and acting are “weak.”
http://www.inquisitr.com/4288434/is-han-solo-film-in-trouble-poor-acting-and-action-allegedly-forces-early-reshoots/

The problem with the popularity of Star Wars has always been that people want to put their own spin on things. Taking pieces of the universe and turning it sideways to fit your own vision of 'how things should work.' That was one of my largest complaints about the EU and what turned it into a godawful mess. While it's nice for fan fiction and one-off side projects, it's a terrible approach for a body of work.

Imagine Sam Jackon's The Hobbit, someone's Kirk/ Spock slash fiction, or any of Moffat's Who work becoming the driving vision for those universes. While there's room for them in fandom, you don't want them to be the backbone. That's the situation Disney and LFL are always going to be in and why they're going to work to protect and project a singular vision.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: June 21, 2017, 10:24:43 AM

Moffat's Who work becoming the driving vision for those universes.

cry cry cry cry cry cry

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: June 21, 2017, 10:26:59 AM

Sam Jackon's The Hobbit,

Say precious one more time mother fucker, I dare you! I double dare you!

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #118 on: June 21, 2017, 10:30:35 AM

Fuck.  Second time this week I've done that. I was talking about Danny Glover with friends and kept calling him Donald. Getting old is shit.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #119 on: June 23, 2017, 01:39:10 AM

Ok, so this is probably only funny to me and the other one in a million people who are into ASMR videos and Star Wars, but this is so fucking brilliant on multiple levels it made my sides hurt from laughing so I'm linking it here. Don't judge me.

Kylo Ren's ASMR Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69IuXVx-Tfk

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #120 on: June 23, 2017, 07:29:47 AM

aurialnauts always do good stuff. If you haven't watched it, Jedi Dance Party is up through ESB now.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: September 22, 2017, 12:07:20 AM

RJ tweeted today that the picture is locked, which seems to indicate that they are pretty happy with it since with the last two they were messing with it right up to release.  I have a lot of faith in the dude after his work on BB so please don't fuck this up.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #122 on: September 24, 2017, 02:39:09 PM

RJ is the main reason I'm excited about this movie.  "Brick" is one of my all time favorite movies ever, "Looper" was highly enjoyable, and his work on Breaking Bad was awesome.  Last Jedi could be the worst thing he's ever done and still be better than TFA, and I enjoyed TFA.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: October 09, 2017, 08:00:28 PM

New trailer.

Hamill looks pretty great. Not sure about any of the rest of it. Beginning to get that sense that they may really have gone for a ESB remake.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: October 09, 2017, 08:06:18 PM

Going dark on trailers and other stuff before seeing it, but if that is case it is really disappointing.

-H.L. Mencken
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: October 09, 2017, 09:55:05 PM

So they are playing it safe by doing an Original trilogy redux?

Meh.

Hic sunt dracones.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: October 10, 2017, 04:55:12 AM

The trailer tells you absolutely nothing. Inferring anything from it is stupid.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: October 10, 2017, 05:09:57 AM

Yeah, it's just a feeling, I couldn't defend it with specific visual quotes to save my life.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: October 10, 2017, 05:28:56 AM

Im pretty sure ESB didn't invent a dark act two.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #129 on: October 10, 2017, 06:14:03 AM

Not even.

So much misdirection in that trailer. I'm not buying it after the TFA and Rogue One trailers. It's set-up to have you think that Kylo kills Leia. Of course, we all know Carrie's gone so they have to "deal" with her, right? We expect it, so they're playing to it.

Kylo/ Rey at the end; different lighting on both characters with much more orange on Kylo. Add the falling debris while there's none around Rey it's a complete misdirect, playing into his offer to train her in TFA. Another expectation they're playing on.

Snoke talking while we're shown Kylo. Nope, another misdirect. Lest we forget Luke's "My father has it, my sister has it, you have it..." from TFA where all Luke really got to do was emote heavily for 20 uncomfortable seconds.

Rey screaming/ Snoke in the background; Can't even know if this is a Force vision or not. I'm not convinced she even gets captured at this point.

The realest thing in the trailer was Luke's statement; "This is not going to go how you expect."

Regards
- The guy with a "Your Snoke Theory Sucks" sticker.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: October 10, 2017, 08:08:37 AM

This trailer all but confirms my theory they are going with the Rey = Bastilla angle. Ren get a redemption and Rey is the big bad next episode.  I'm even going to hazard saying that through anger Rey accidentally causes Leia's death which is where she snaps.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: October 10, 2017, 10:57:42 AM

I bet half the footage in the trailer is actually not in the movie.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: October 10, 2017, 12:24:46 PM

I bet half the footage in the trailer is actually not in the movie.

Hehe after the rogue one trailer that is an open question of how much if any of this shows up in the actual movie.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: October 11, 2017, 10:41:33 AM

Not even.

So much misdirection in that trailer. I'm not buying it after the TFA and Rogue One trailers. It's set-up to have you think that Kylo kills Leia. Of course, we all know Carrie's gone so they have to "deal" with her, right? We expect it, so they're playing to it.

Kylo/ Rey at the end; different lighting on both characters with much more orange on Kylo. Add the falling debris while there's none around Rey it's a complete misdirect, playing into his offer to train her in TFA. Another expectation they're playing on.

Snoke talking while we're shown Kylo. Nope, another misdirect. Lest we forget Luke's "My father has it, my sister has it, you have it..." from TFA where all Luke really got to do was emote heavily for 20 uncomfortable seconds.

Rey screaming/ Snoke in the background; Can't even know if this is a Force vision or not. I'm not convinced she even gets captured at this point.

The realest thing in the trailer was Luke's statement; "This is not going to go how you expect."

Regards
- The guy with a "Your Snoke Theory Sucks" sticker.

I agree. I think Rey is actually talking to Luke in that scene and it's probably in the same cave scene where he says the whole "All I know is it is time for the Jedi to end..." She's trying to talk him into training her and he's like "Nope, that didn't end well last time!"

Now, my big question from the trailer is who is Luke comparing her to when he says he's only seen that kind of raw power once before.

My 3 big suspects:
Vader - That'd play into the "She's Anakin Reborn" theory that is floating around.
Palpatine - I've seen this one mentioned but I'm pretty sure Luke had a healthy respect and fear of the Emperor. Especially after the Force Lightning.
Kylo - I don't know. Kylo does seem pretty powerful but not as powerful as the two above.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #134 on: October 11, 2017, 11:17:11 AM

It's Kylo.  He's 1/2 Skywalker and Luke remains the strongest Jedi in the new canon. 

Anakin was stronger than Palpatine, which was why Palpatine worked so hard to convert him. While the loss of his limbs crippled him, he was STILL stronger, as he was able to toss Palpy into the Death Star reactor with little fuss. The Emperor wanted to turn Luke because his potential was stronger than Vader as a cripple due to being whole.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #135 on: October 11, 2017, 12:00:25 PM

It's Kylo.  He's 1/2 Skywalker and Luke remains the strongest Jedi in the new canon. 

Anakin was stronger than Palpatine, which was why Palpatine worked so hard to convert him. While the loss of his limbs crippled him, he was STILL stronger, as he was able to toss Palpy into the Death Star reactor with little fuss. The Emperor wanted to turn Luke because his potential was stronger than Vader as a cripple due to being whole.

Well, almost whole anyway...  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #136 on: October 12, 2017, 12:02:25 AM

Also, 'little fuss' other than it killing him.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: October 12, 2017, 12:23:25 AM

Key word : "Raw"

And dialog like that has to refer to someone relevant to the future of the character. It is known.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: December 10, 2017, 01:02:43 PM

Big thing coming out of the premiere is universal advice to go completely dark on the movie from this point on--that there are some huge surprises that haven't leaked at all and that it's much better if you don't know they're coming.

I am going to follow this advice.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: December 11, 2017, 09:08:11 AM

Watching some interviews leading up, it certainly seems that way. Hamill slipped with some (seemingly) minor thing in a cast interview and the other three actors all shit their pants.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi  
Jump to: