Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:40:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Alien: Covenant 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alien: Covenant  (Read 24112 times)
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

on: December 26, 2016, 07:02:59 PM

The official trailer came out the other day.

NSFW warning:  It's the redband trailer, so some gore and swearing.

https://youtu.be/H0VW6sg50Pk

Looks ok, I suppose. At least it's not written by Lindelof. In any case, it's an Alien film, so I'll go see it.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 08:00:33 PM

My problem with the trailer is that it basically is assuming that we have all forgotten about the Alien and that ship and facehugger is a big mystery. That bloody ship would be a radioactive crater by now, and certainly nobody would be going into it alone. I actually think it would work better these days if an Alien invasion was going on in the background as the audience knows what's going on. Its a bit like trying to make a Zombie Apocalypse a big mystery, it just wont work

It actually reminds me a bit of an old Alien ripoff movie called "Leviathan," where the monster was people turning into the creatures due to a disease experiment gone wrong. Or they could be going all "The Thing" here.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 08:05:08 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 08:08:45 PM

I was expecting a sequel to Prometheus but instead this movie looks like a sequel to Alien or even Aliens instead of a sequel to Prometheus or prequel to Alien.

Okay that's confusing let's try it like this.

Was expecting:

Prometheus -> Alien: Convenant -> <Unamed 3rd in Prometheus trilogy> -> Alien

Instead trailer looks like:

Prometheus -> Alien -> Alien: Convenant

or

Prometheus -> Alien -> Aliens -> Alien: Convenant

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 08:37:41 PM

Yeah, I'm not even sure the producers/directors/writers know when any of this shit is set in relation to the other movies.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 08:46:57 PM

I'll go see it because I'm a sucker.  Just like I was when I went to see Prometheus.  Yeah...the continuity is strange and I don't expect this to actually be good.  On the off chance that it is though, I want to be there to see it.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 05:08:21 AM

Trippy has got me thinking about Alien nuns.   why so serious?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 05:51:15 AM

Looks like a mess overall. Why can't directors understand why Alien was so damn good... suspense > gore/action.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 06:04:55 AM

Gore is easy. CGI is easy.

Hic sunt dracones.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 06:05:35 AM

This looks crap.

This coming from someone who likes Prometheus.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 07:16:03 AM

It's meant to be the sequel to Prometheus. The android is the same David as Prometheus.  No we don't know why or how and I expect as much dumb scientist action as we got from Prometheus. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 08:01:51 AM

Looks like a reboot/remake of Alien more than anything...?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 09:24:23 AM

Looks like a reboot/remake of Alien more than anything...?

That was my impression too, yes.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: December 27, 2016, 11:11:44 AM

eh

I could've sworn Prometheus -> Covenant
                                                  -----Alien----------->

I thought there was crossover
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 11:42:24 AM

There's supposed to be 4 movies before Alien (not 3 like I implied above).

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ridley-scott-alien-covenant-is-first-3-films-before-linking-up-original-alien-844051

Ridley Scott confirmed that he is planning another two Prometheus sequels to follow Alien: Covenant before the Prometheus storyline meets up with the original 1979 Alien.

Alien: Covenant and the following two films will be origin stories, answering the “very basic questions posed in Alien: why the alien, who might have made it and where did it come from?” Scott revealed at a press conference in Sydney where he is starting pre-production on Covenant, the first sequel to Prometheus.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 07:45:11 PM

There's supposed to be 4 movies before Alien (not 3 like I implied above).

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ridley-scott-alien-covenant-is-first-3-films-before-linking-up-original-alien-844051

Ridley Scott confirmed that he is planning another two Prometheus sequels to follow Alien: Covenant before the Prometheus storyline meets up with the original 1979 Alien.

Alien: Covenant and the following two films will be origin stories, answering the “very basic questions posed in Alien: why the alien, who might have made it and where did it come from?” Scott revealed at a press conference in Sydney where he is starting pre-production on Covenant, the first sequel to Prometheus.

Here's the problem. I don't need to know the answer to any of those questions. I liked the mystery. I liked imagining it. Once you explain things, it loses the intrique. See: Star Wars prequels, horror remakes which give villains back stories, etc.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 08:14:37 PM by Riggswolfe »

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 12:26:31 PM

I'm not sure that is the issue.

Nobody gave a shit how planet of the apes came to be, but that didn't stop a decent film being made.

The problem here isn't that they keep making films about questions that don't need answering, the problem is that all sequels bar Aliens just seek to remake the original film without adding any new idea of value.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 12:59:53 PM

I'm not sure that is the issue.

Nobody gave a shit how planet of the apes came to be, but that didn't stop a decent film being made.

The problem here isn't that they keep making films about questions that don't need answering, the problem is that all sequels bar Aliens just seek to remake the original film without adding any new idea of value.

Too much flash and 'splosions in the new ones, not enough suspense of the first. Sequels will never be able to capture the atmosphere of Alien. Can't have people imagining things... gotta have pictures.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 10:00:23 AM

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 12:06:55 AM

So the prologue to the sequel of a prequel.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 08:16:07 AM

swamp poop

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 11:50:58 AM

Another full trailer dropped yesterday. A little bit more background on the crew and a full view of the Xenomorph you've probably already seen plastered all over the place. Still looks exciting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svnAD0TApb8
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 11:52:39 AM by Merusk »

Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 01, 2017, 02:39:47 PM

Another full trailer dropped yesterday. A little bit more background on the crew and a full view of the Xenomorph you've probably already seen plastered all over the place. Still looks exciting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svnAD0TApb8

Still too bright and flashy. I'm for the Alien tradition of dark and foreboding atmosphere... not just a few dark rooms. I'll probably see this at some point, but not in a theater.

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #22 on: March 02, 2017, 04:34:48 PM

Land on alien planet. Walk around without helmet on.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 10:54:28 AM

Land on alien planet. Walk around without helmet on.

Don't forget that if you see something opening up that looks like a mouth and/or snake and/or penis and/or vagina to inspect it as closely as possible with your unprotected face.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #24 on: March 06, 2017, 10:57:24 AM

People are a lot dumber and less cautious than you really think. Just reading /r/OSHA is enough to teach you this, so I find that part COMPLETELY believable in this movie. They're random space hippies, not scientists who should have been trained better.

I mean, there's at least one story a month of an idiot who looks down the barrel of a loaded weapon to see if it's jammed. Again, people who should know better doing dumb shit.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #25 on: March 06, 2017, 02:12:16 PM

Just reading /r/OSHA is enough to teach you this
You owe me an afternoon....

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 08:35:48 PM

Hah. Same thing happened to me when I found it.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 12, 2017, 12:05:05 PM

"The Da Vinci code in space"

https://youtu.be/b79aw9dZLfE

So a pass I guess.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
schild
Administrator

Reply #28 on: May 12, 2017, 02:58:05 PM

Horrific writing aside, which I've felt to be pretty much a hallmark of the Alien franchise, what he likes about the series is precisely what I disliked about the series. That it wasn't about the aliens and their world and history, but rather about the characters.

So uh, heavy handed philosophical horseshit aside, he basically just further endorsed the movie for me.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 13, 2017, 09:28:56 AM

Personally, I only ever gave a shit about the aliens. I even rooted for them on original veiwings.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 19, 2017, 03:36:47 PM

I wish the guy mountain climbing with James Franco had been Seth Rogen.

I am the .00000001428%
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 21, 2017, 10:20:55 AM

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 21, 2017, 02:42:43 PM

Angry Joe Review, Spoiler free TL DR He hates it.

http://Angry Joe Review - Spoilers & Discussion

"Midnight screenings" review Contains Spoilers. One of them really loved the first 2 acts. The other didnt much care for them but they both agreed that the third act threw the WTF meter into the red. They think this is R Scott's middle finger to everyone "OK, assholes, this is what you wanted! Enjoy!"

Mr H Review - Spoiler free Le loves it. Thinks its a great action movie with great performances from everyone.

Everyone agrees that the cinematography is fantastic, and in general the performances were good.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 05:32:53 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: May 21, 2017, 02:52:58 PM

These guys said exactly what I was saying.

"They didn't dig Sigourney Weaver out from the crypt and shove her in front of a camera."

Also, they liked everything up until the end also.

The entire series suffers (outside of maybe Alien) from a disease that causes the last act to be shit. Especially 3 and Resurrection (and I guess, now, Covenant).
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #34 on: May 21, 2017, 04:56:55 PM

Personally I thought the whole movie kinda sucked, not just the end.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Alien: Covenant  
Jump to: