Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:34:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Mass Effect Andromeda 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mass Effect Andromeda  (Read 63795 times)
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #35 on: November 30, 2016, 06:26:03 PM

Weird with the Femshep love here.  Always thought Shepard was a really well voiced/acted character.  Never could make it very far into my attempts at a femshep.

For me it was mostly that in Mass Effect 1, Jennifer Hale was by far the superior voice actor. Her counterpart even said that it showed him he had to really, really step up his game.

To his credit, he mostly did. But a surprisingly large number of people ended up habituated into Hale's shepard by the end of 1 and carried that torch forward.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: November 30, 2016, 10:23:20 PM

For me it was mostly that in Mass Effect 1, Jennifer Hale was by far the superior voice actor. Her counterpart even said that it showed him he had to really, really step up his game.

To his credit, he mostly did. But a surprisingly large number of people ended up habituated into Hale's shepard by the end of 1 and carried that torch forward.

This, basically. Hale was just the far better voice actor which is why I went fem-shep for most of my Mass Effect playthroughs. That and I found it easier to make a custom-looking fem-shep that didn't look horrific during gameplay/cut-scenes.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: December 01, 2016, 02:14:34 PM

This, basically. Hale was just the far better voice actor which is why I went fem-shep for most of my Mass Effect playthroughs. That and I found it easier to make a custom-looking fem-shep that didn't look horrific during gameplay/cut-scenes.

I did like male shep for commander shepard interstellar giggalo/jackass renegade runs. He was good at the voice over work of the character being a total dick.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #38 on: December 01, 2016, 02:34:21 PM

Male Shepard totally nailed "this is my favorite store on the Citadel."
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: December 02, 2016, 04:40:53 AM

Well a slightly better trailer came out...and I don't want to play that game right now. Looks like they took the worst parts of Dragon Age III and did more of that.

I'm hoping it's more a bad trailer than anything else, but I'm getting a bad feeling about this.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #40 on: December 02, 2016, 07:28:50 AM

I like that they seemed to have moved beyond the linear claustrophobic maps of the previous games. Needing to craft most things is intriguing too though knowing BioWare it'll likely be a horrible grind to get resources and I'll end up hacking my game to give myself effectively unlimited resources like I did in ME 1. The summoned immobile half-height barrier was also a crack up.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: December 02, 2016, 11:29:50 AM

The new trailer was very "meh" for me. It looks like Inquisition in space, basically, which is not a good thing, especially in regards to the combat and free-roam.

Also, Bioware seems to be getting worse with facial animations every game. The facial animations in the new trailer were.. well, down-right horrible.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #42 on: December 02, 2016, 11:44:12 AM

The faces were fugly (default SisRyder especially) which doesn't help.
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: December 02, 2016, 02:37:53 PM

The one thing I hope we can finally get away from are the morally grey plot choices that seem to be so popular over the last 5 years.  Do I perform this reprehensible act that will help 51% of the population, or do I do this less repugnant thing that makes life slightly worse for everyone going forward?

I don't want to go back to the "save the puppy/kick the puppy" paradigm that used to be so prevalent.  But can't we be just a little heroic again?

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: December 02, 2016, 04:13:14 PM

The faces were fugly (default SisRyder especially) which doesn't help.

Knowing the diversity of the Bioware team fugly is mandatory now because something something male gaze something objectification blah blah beauty trope etc.

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: December 03, 2016, 02:45:25 AM

I think they just recycled Sera's model for that one.

Trailer is all kinds of awful. Certainly none of the semi high brow storytelling that ME used to have.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: December 04, 2016, 05:57:47 AM

I actually want some stuff that is better morally grey than the usual Bioware "will I be an evil utilitarian or a good person who commits sins of omission"?

Choices that reflect some kind of personal disposition are more interesting and character-defining. It would be interesting if they went with something like a horoscope setting: 10 or 15 "dispositions" or "temperaments" that are defined through choices, where as you go through a game it starts to present you more and more with choices relevant to the disposition you've been favoring.

I do like the Bioware choices that are about "Which of your NPC friends do you like best?" (Not just the which-one-are-you-trying-to-sex kind.)
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #47 on: December 04, 2016, 07:21:42 PM

the gap in quality is the most pronounced in the first game, but Mark Meer, true to his word and absolutely to his credit, 100% pulled his weight after that and put a lot of work into being the best voice actor for shepard that he could. by 3 he was about as good as Hale, which is saying a lot, as you're rarely ever going to find anyone better than her at VA.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: December 05, 2016, 12:24:54 AM

Fuck crafting. Fuck MMOs and how they have ruined nearly all modern RPGs.
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: March 10, 2017, 12:27:24 PM

Launch trailer has dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6PJEmEHIaY

There have also been several videos dribbling out over the past month detailing combat, characters, etc.  They're all on the youtube page for the trailer, if you're interested.

Anyone else getting excited for this?  Or is everyone still nursing hurt feelings over Three?  I had said I wouldn't let myself get excited, but -- yeah -- I'm looking forward to it.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #50 on: March 10, 2017, 01:20:03 PM

Anyone else getting excited for this?  Or is everyone still nursing hurt feelings over Three?  I had said I wouldn't let myself get excited, but -- yeah -- I'm looking forward to it.

I haven't played an EA game since they moved them all to Origin. Just not interested in their bloatware/ spyware on top of Steam's bloatware.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #51 on: March 10, 2017, 01:34:11 PM

Super-mega-extra-hyped. Annndddd... my laptop died and itvis now on its way to California for some 10 to 25 business days repairingm. Fuck my gamer life.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #52 on: March 10, 2017, 01:49:13 PM

I love the series and Bioware in general, but I'm going to wait a bit on the reviews. While I played through DA:I and ME:3 completely at launch, they both were probably the weakest entries in the series. Bioware just isn't a sure thing anymore.

I haven't played an EA game since they moved them all to Origin. Just not interested in their bloatware/ spyware on top of Steam's bloatware.

Origin is fine. It's not odious enough to hate. I've gotten over launchers/proprietary store fronts. Nothing is standalone anymore.  Get off my lawn!

-Rasix
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #53 on: March 10, 2017, 04:02:41 PM

I'm pretty excited for it. Signed up for EA Access for a month since you get 10% off games. The money it saved when pre-ordering ME:A offset the $4.99 for a month of Access and you get to start playing ME:A on the 16th (although only for a total of 10 hours).

Despite ME3's issues I loved the multiplayer. DA:I wasn't great but seems like a good blueprint to start with for something like ME:A. I wasn't a fan of DA:I's combat but that shouldn't be an issue with an ME game, and aside from that DA:I's main weaknesses were the a large number of dull side-quests and the characters weren't very interesting. Both of these seem fixable but we'll see.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: March 10, 2017, 06:01:28 PM

Pretty much my feelings on the matter.  I can't really claim that Origin is any different than Steam or Battle.net or Uplay or Gog Galaxy (though that one is at least optional) all of which are running on my PC as I type this, but it's just one more reason to put off buying it until later when there's still so much cool stuff out there that I don't have to jump through that hoop for.

It's like downloading a mobile game, and for the first screen they ask you your name, you type it in, and they go "Sorry, that name is taken, try another one!"  Yeah, I could do that... or I could play any one of the thousand other games I have here.

I still haven't played ME 2 despite having it sitting in my Steam library for 7 years.  Thought the first one was fun while it lasted, but it didn't feel like "my story" and I wasn't really that invested in the setting or the plot.  So I suppose I'm probably not the target audience anyways.  It's not going to be hard to turn me away from buying the new one.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: March 10, 2017, 07:03:03 PM

The advantage of steam is mostly that it's a shop-front open to many vendors and capable of allowing new developers to find a market. So closed shop fronts like origin just aren't that interesting or something to encourage... but mostly very little on the triple-A front has been remotely tempting enough.

I saw a little bit of gameplay, it looks very much like a console shooter and I would not be that surprised it ends up being another open world game with some story missions amid lots of fighting and gathering. The old Bioware is gone and the new Bioware needs to appeal to the lowest common denominator of the console market to make back that triple-A budget. 

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #56 on: March 10, 2017, 08:22:04 PM

The advantage of steam is mostly that it's a shop-front open to many vendors and capable of allowing new developers to find a market. So closed shop fronts like origin just aren't that interesting or something to encourage... but mostly very little on the triple-A front has been remotely tempting enough.

Yep. Plus I just don't feel like messing with a thousand storefront apps. I don't bother with gog, origins, GMG or anyone else's stuff unless they give a steam code.  I resisted Steam until it was the only way of getting PC games, too. Nothing in a long, long, long time has been worth that second storefront. I only tolerate Blizzard's because it's an MMO patcher, which is a different animal.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: March 10, 2017, 08:25:32 PM

There's nothing forcing you to use GOG Galaxy. The only thing I use it for is reinstalling Witcher 3, but only because it's less cumbersome than downloading several GB worth of standalone installers.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #58 on: March 10, 2017, 08:32:59 PM

Is there any reason to get the Deluxe or Super-Deluxe versions of this? It looks like it only adds multiplayer boosts and a skin/armor. Unless I'm missing something...
lesion

Reply #59 on: March 10, 2017, 08:48:53 PM

Origin is fine. It's not odious enough to hate. I've gotten over launchers/proprietary store fronts. Nothing is standalone anymore.  Get off my lawn!
I've had two Origin accounts silently hacked (as in no e-mails sent at all, no indication of password/hints changing), and it's the only service I've ever had that happen with. It's also entirely possible that their non-automated customer support is a phone sitting in a locker at a train station.

Love the Mass Effect series (and Battlefield for that matter) but fuck their shitty shit.

steam|a grue \[T]/
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #60 on: March 10, 2017, 08:55:26 PM

Is there any reason to get the Deluxe or Super-Deluxe versions of this? It looks like it only adds multiplayer boosts and a skin/armor. Unless I'm missing something...
Deluxe adds:

Pathfinder Casual Outfit
Scavenger Armor
Pathfinder Elite Weapon Set (4)
Pet Pyjak
Digital Soundtrack
Multiplayer Deluxe Launch Pack

Super Deluxe adds Deluxe plus:

Multiplayer Super Deluxe Booster Packs
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #61 on: March 10, 2017, 09:43:24 PM

Origin is fine. It's not odious enough to hate. I've gotten over launchers/proprietary store fronts. Nothing is standalone anymore.  Get off my lawn!
I've had two Origin accounts silently hacked (as in no e-mails sent at all, no indication of password/hints changing), and it's the only service I've ever had that happen with. It's also entirely possible that their non-automated customer support is a phone sitting in a locker at a train station.

Love the Mass Effect series (and Battlefield for that matter) but fuck their shitty shit.

Sorry to hear that. Through pure luck, I haven't been hacked since UO/Everquest (UO was my fault, I let someone borrow my account and they decided to steal it). In both cases, I was able to convince support to give me the account back and put a special lock on it.  awesome, for real

I wouldn't even have an Origin account if it wasn't for the exclusives. Same with uPlay, although that only exists because someone gave me a key for The Division.

I'm just afraid that this will be as uninspiring to play as DA3. Recently, I tried to replay ME3 (which I actually liked sans ending), and all I could see were flaws. Flaws everywhere. ME2 is still the pinnacle of modern Bioware, IMO.

edit: I really can't type tonight.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 09:48:38 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #62 on: March 10, 2017, 09:54:19 PM

Can't say I've ever had any issues with Origin. I launch my games and login and that tends to be the extent to which I have to interact with it.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: March 10, 2017, 10:12:26 PM

I've had issues with Origin; mainly an account getting hacked through a game I've never played, downloaded or bought (the Star Wars MMO; keep getting e-mails about how the name and password on my Origin account are getting changed, almost immediately after I find ways to change them to something else; even going so far as to add two-step verification, tying it to a different e-mail account or doing it through a different computer). Used their customer support system four times to try and get it fixed, which has accomplished fuck and all, so I basically just gave up on the account, despite ME2, ME3 and DAI being tied to it. My second Origin account, from way back when which only has one game on it (Sims 3; had it gifted and used it to try out Origin when it first started) hasn't been hacked, amusingly.

As for ME:A... eh. I'm torn on whether I'll grab it. On the one hand.. I do enjoy the games (ignoring the retarded fuckery at the end of ME3 and the Cerberus bullshit they double down on, then doubled down on again.. man, fuck Kai Leng and everything tied to him), and the multiplayer tends to be a lot of fun even without using a mic -- and I tend to avoid multiplayer games/modes like the plague.

On the other hand.. there's a lot of red flags going up on this game. Apparently a lot of bugs on the builds they've had people play (bugs/crashes that had devs saying 'oh.. that's odd' when waved over to show it to them) at PAX. Additionally it looks like the facial animations have taken a step backwards from the original trilogy, which is more sad than anything else. Not entirely thrilled with some of the game design decisions and how annoying or bland a number of characters seem to be; primarily Peebee and the Deus Ex AI attached to you.

I'll probably end up pre-ordering it a day or so before the launch, depending on people respond to the 10 hour early access, since if I get it at launch.. I might as well pre-order for the bonuses.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #64 on: March 10, 2017, 10:26:11 PM

"Hello and to thanking you the success at "Boy Ware" customer support of the services. My name is .. er, *mumble* ... Greg. How to assist you today?"

"I can't access my Origin account."

"I see sir yes that is very unfortunate. Do you have an Origin account number?"

"I have an email attached to the account."

"I see sir again yes I apologize. I will be transfer you to accelerate desk."

"Wait,.."

*mangled manual transfer sounds*

*dialtone*
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #65 on: March 11, 2017, 11:45:12 AM

Can't say I've ever had any issues with Origin. I launch my games and login and that tends to be the extent to which I have to interact with it.

I have on my work computer. It's naturally behind a firewall and corporate network but Steam, Blizzard.net and every other storefront I've tried to play with? No problem. Origin? It lets me download patches on that computer, lets me buy games on that computer, it lets me login and see what games I have and at one point, it let me install those games. Patching those games? NOPE. It won't do it. It continually gives me some error about firewalls that if you Google, has been an Origin problem FOR YEARS. Opening ports? Nothing. Once the games are patched, I can play them if I want (I've at times had to go through an anonymizer or put my computer on the DMZ to download patches) but patching them regularly? Not a fucking option. Origin's "support" was utterly useless consisting of a few knowledgebase articles (that did nothing) and trading some emails back and forth that did nothing. I just fucking stopped trying on that computer. And this has been going on for like 2-3 years now meaning it's a known fuckup they can't or won't fix. I CAN PATCH YOUR SHITTY STOREFRONT WHY CAN'T I PATCH YOUR GAMES THROUGH IT? THE FUCK?

It just showed why Steam really should just be renamed "WE R PC GAMES, BITCHES" and all others should just suck Gabe Newell's micropeen.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #66 on: March 12, 2017, 08:58:48 PM

Game looks really fugly too. Might skip.
RIP Bioware.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #67 on: March 12, 2017, 10:52:35 PM

The female characters look fugly but the rest of the game looks nice.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #68 on: March 12, 2017, 11:39:39 PM

Yeah, I'm very much in "wait and see" mode with Bioware now.  If reviews make it out to be robot jesus, I might possibly pirate it.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #69 on: March 13, 2017, 03:07:37 AM

System requirements are out.

'Recommended' specs for 1080p/30 at 'high detail': 16 GB RAM, CPU with 8 Threads (Core i7 4790 or AMD FX 8350), 64 Bit Windows, AMD Radeon RX 480 or Geforce GTX 1060 and 55 GB of disc space. Minimum specs for 720p/30 at 'low' are 8 GB RAM, Core i5, GeForce GTX 660 or Radeon HD 7750.

According to EA ME: Andromeda supports 4k but no recommended spec is published. There's also no recommended spec for @60fps or for 'maximum'. Seems like this game is an absolute resource hog.

I bought a new PC two weeks ago and barely match the recommended specs (Kaby Lake Core i7; Geforce GTX 1070). Seems like not that many people will be able to actually play that game on PC.

[edit:] Most of the issues stem from the fact that the new Mass Effect runs on Frostbite.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 03:14:49 AM by Jeff Kelly »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Mass Effect Andromeda  
Jump to: