Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:13:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Westworld 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Westworld  (Read 135879 times)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #420 on: April 03, 2020, 08:56:25 AM

Supposedly it's somebody who knows Dolores better than anybody (according to Dolores anyway) which is what had me thinking Teddy (that and Marsden was possibly busy doing Sonic at the time). The other thought I had is that one person is Dolores and one is Wyatt (though each might still have some traits of the other).
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #421 on: April 03, 2020, 09:46:35 AM

The other thought I had is that one person is Dolores and one is Wyatt (though each might still have some traits of the other).

That's what I'm going with.  Something like an older (circa season 1) Dolores backup that Ford had stashed somewhere just in case.  A version of Dolores Abernathy that hasn't gone through the Maze and rediscovered her inner Wyatt yet.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #422 on: April 03, 2020, 06:15:04 PM

I thought Teddy is in the Great Beyond and Clem had her pearl drilled before the big back-up happened, but I can't keep most of what happened in S2 straight.

Angela was one of the very first hosts from before there even was a park (and knew she was a host from the beginning to boot) so would know Delos pretty well. She was also Wyatt's top lieutenant.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 06:18:22 PM by Abagadro »

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #423 on: April 05, 2020, 09:36:54 PM

Welp, so much for all that.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #424 on: April 05, 2020, 09:37:16 PM

That was something. Fuck a duck.

-Rasix
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #425 on: April 06, 2020, 08:50:17 AM

Mildly annoyed that

Maybe that version was getting over their identity crisis off camera before they got deployed?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #426 on: April 06, 2020, 08:55:34 AM

« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 04:23:01 AM by Polysorbate80 »

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #427 on: April 06, 2020, 12:45:16 PM

I didn't see it coming but it didn't feel super surprising, if that makes sense?
Like, of course there is a twist, all this show does are twists.

Wondering:
How will they climb down from Dolores being so powerfull? She is more a force of nature than a character with personality by now.

Considering how much AI and IT is in this world everything is weirdly open to being hacked. Like, has no one watched watched Terminator 1 and 2 in this reality? Or maybe had to learn Goethe's Zauberlehrling ballad at school and thought "hmm, what if our AI brooms don't stop bringing water?"

I am still traumatised by Battlestar Galactica and fear the show will end the same way: Some bullshit about hosts and human living together and forming a new race. Urgh!

Edit: Serac is the shows good guy, prove me wrong.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 01:06:41 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #428 on: April 09, 2020, 01:47:24 AM

Dunno. He seems a bit too Zuckerberg with his all-knowing AI type shit. If the writers are smart (and I'm not convinced they are) Aaron Paul is the protagonist this season and ultimately ends up double-crossing the various robo-entities.

-H.L. Mencken
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #429 on: April 09, 2020, 02:58:58 AM

Edit: Serac is the shows good guy, prove me wrong.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Dunno. He seems a bit too Zuckerberg with his all-knowing AI type shit.

Well, I mean personally I think he is the good guy. Because on a surface level this is the story of a robot uprising and he is trying to stop it. So duh.
And he has a noble goal: Giving humankind a purpose and preventing it from wiping itself out. That's something good.

The show itself makes quite clear that he is supposed to be unsympathetic:
- Arrogant, megalomaniac behavior.
- He doesn't offer Maeve a deal or but simply forces her to work him.
- Dismissing the right of hosts to life outside
- Showing him psychologically torture the identity-broker guy AND then shooting him after he got what he wanted.

This MIGHT be a misdirection by the show runners. Similar like Ford who actually on the side of the hosts, but in season 1 was portraited somewhat creepy and uncaring towards them: Remember the scenes in which he tells staff not to cover the naked hosts because they are just things.

I don't think that's whats going on with Serac though. (Although it would be good: Not knowing if he is a "good" or "bad" guy would make it more interesting)

If the writers are smart (and I'm not convinced they are) Aaron Paul is the protagonist this season and ultimately ends up double-crossing the various robo-entities.

Caleb right now is used by Doloroes as a useful idiot, finds out what is going on and turns into an independent (badass) actor. Sort of mirror Dolores arc, actually.
If that happens I don't know, but it feels like the show wants us to believe that's the direction it's going.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 03:12:08 AM by calapine »

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #430 on: April 09, 2020, 06:06:03 AM

Serac, the guy whose method to save the world is to create an AI destiny engine that predetermines people's fates and forces guys like Aaron Paul's character struggle when they don't have to?  He just prefers his benevolent AI overloard to the other ones.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #431 on: April 13, 2020, 12:18:02 AM

I'm curious to know who in the production was fired, sidelined, promoted, or hired to turn this thing into such a good show compared to the first two seasons.

-H.L. Mencken
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #432 on: April 13, 2020, 12:57:26 AM

Maybe Gina Atwater as Executive Story Editor?

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2517208/?ref_=ttfc_fc_wr4#writer

The show runners were also more involved with the writing this season compared to season two.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #433 on: April 13, 2020, 01:27:05 AM

Could definitely be a combo.  If Nolan is more hands on it could also make sense as there is a whole lotta Person of Interest type stuff  in this season.

-H.L. Mencken
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #434 on: April 13, 2020, 08:33:55 AM

I'm curious to know who in the productio

n was fired, sidelined, promoted, or hired to turn this thing into such a good show compared to the first two seasons.

Wait, are you staying the first season wasn't good?

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #435 on: April 13, 2020, 10:08:36 AM

It was an often entertaining mess with high production value and good acting. I wouldn't consider it a good season of television overall.

-H.L. Mencken
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #436 on: April 13, 2020, 11:01:36 AM

And it was too damn long.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #437 on: April 13, 2020, 12:43:29 PM

It was an often entertaining mess with high production value and good acting. I wouldn't consider it a good season of television overall.

I can see the narrative mess regarding season 2.

Not sure where the appeal of S3 (vs1) here is though. So far it's...random. Compared to 1 it feels hard to emotionally connect.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 12:46:55 PM by calapine »

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #438 on: April 13, 2020, 03:31:53 PM

I think season 1 was fantastic. That said, someone did a chronological edit of the first two seasons which I haven't watched yet (also it's only in 720p). I'm curious if that ultimately makes season 2 in particular better. Even with season 1 I feel like rewatches might be better with a normal chronology as well.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #439 on: April 13, 2020, 06:19:21 PM

S1 had too much of the JJ Abrams ad hoc puzzle-box stink on it for me to really buy into the whole thing as I really don't like those after the numerous times he has pulled away the football.

-H.L. Mencken
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #440 on: April 13, 2020, 06:47:30 PM

I don't think Abrams had much if anything to do with the show other than getting Nolan and Joy onboard. I'd say the writing on season 1 felt very much like a Jonathan Nolan thing.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #441 on: April 14, 2020, 01:05:28 AM

No no no my friend. There was very little "writing" on S1. They were (self-admittedly) completely pulling it out of their asses on an episode to episode basis. It was a tumultuous production that was shut down a couple of times. There is no doubt Abrams parachuted in to save it. Maybe its colored by reading a lot of behind the scenes stuff, but they were completely at sea and it shows.

If anything Nolan's style is more prevalent this year as he is kinda remaking Person Of Interest but will better actors, more money, and from the anarchic side of things.

-H.L. Mencken
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #442 on: April 14, 2020, 09:20:18 AM

I think you're misremembering or mischaracterizing what's been said. Production on season 1 stopped once as far as I can tell so they could get caught up on writing the last 4 episodes (part of that involved wanting to lay down some ground work for season 2). From what Nolan has said, he underestimated how long production would take on the show because he was going by his experience doing Person of Interest. Westworld is a much more elaborate production so things ran long and that caused him and Joy and get backed up on writing the screenplays (unlike season 2 where they only have writing credits on a handful of episodes, Nolan or Joy co-wrote all but one episode in season 1).

I've never seen any suggestion, let alone them actually admitting to pulling stuff out of their asses. They've said they rushed into production early with only a handful of episodes written, but that's not nearly the same thing as pulling stuff out of their asses, like they had no outline and got to the point where they were on set just making stuff up. Knowing the story and how everything connects together is not the same as having all the scenes written and structuring the episodes.  When they ran out of fully written screenplays is when production stopped. I've seen literally zero suggestion anywhere that Abrams was brought in to help and he has no writing credits for the show. The only time I've ever seen him mentioned in relation to Westworld is that he pitched the show to Nolan and Joy and suggested thinking about the story from the Robots POV.

Nolan and Joy look like they're back to being more heavily involved in writing season 3 compared to season 2 going by the credits. Also season 2 did stop production on more than one occasion (due to wildfires, and an injury to one of the cast).
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #443 on: April 15, 2020, 10:01:51 PM

That is a generous interpretation.  A show that needs to shut down because the production outran the writing is a huge red flag IMO.

I didn't hate S1 and really, really liked many aspects of it. I just think it was a bit of a mess and not a truly coherent good season of television. S2 actively pissed me off, so S3 being so good is almost a shock to my system.

-H.L. Mencken
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #444 on: April 15, 2020, 10:23:31 PM

That is a generous interpretation.  A show that needs to shut down because the production outran the writing is a huge red flag IMO.

The first season had a budget of around $10 million per episode making it one of the most expensive TV shows ever produced (and not in the way shows like Friends and Big Bang Theory were expensive because success meant they had to eventually start paying the actors more). I'm not surprised Nolan and Joy found themselves overwhelmed.

Beyond not seeing even rumor sites suggesting that Abrams did anything to help with the writing, the reason why it feels like Nolan to me is because structurally it feels like something that likely came from the guy who wrote The Prestige and the short story his brother used for Momento.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #445 on: April 19, 2020, 09:06:51 PM

Ugh, everything about Williams is exhausting and stupid. Should have killed that character at the end of S1.  The Charlotte stuff was pretty good, but the Maeve stuff was pointless and circular.  Weakest ep of the season.

-H.L. Mencken
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #446 on: April 19, 2020, 10:18:37 PM

Ugh, everything about Williams is exhausting and stupid. Should have killed that character at the end of S1.  The Charlotte stuff was pretty good, but the Maeve stuff was pointless and circular.  Weakest ep of the season.
They were all circular. That was kind of the point.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #447 on: April 20, 2020, 09:49:26 AM

They have a whopping 8 episodes this season. Wasting one on circular crap is  swamp poop

-H.L. Mencken
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #448 on: April 22, 2020, 12:00:51 PM

There will be a Season 4 (assuming we aren't all dead by then):

https://twitter.com/WestworldHBO/status/1252998097577209857
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #449 on: April 24, 2020, 03:47:04 PM

I've enjoyed the world building of this season.  Also, I'm on team Dolores.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #450 on: April 24, 2020, 04:28:08 PM

With all the wheel spinning of the last ep I am glad they paid off the ED-209 from earlier in the season.

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #451 on: April 26, 2020, 12:47:40 PM

Thought Delores's quick-change dress was CGI, but it was a practical effect.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1254445244017491969

-H.L. Mencken
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #452 on: April 26, 2020, 01:38:06 PM

Not really an "effect" so much as badass costuming.  I hope she got to keep it.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #453 on: April 26, 2020, 09:11:35 PM

Man, I had such high hopes but this season is disappearing up its own asshole.

-H.L. Mencken
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #454 on: April 27, 2020, 11:21:14 PM

So, what is everyone thinking about the season so far?

Spectacularly underwhelmed myself.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Westworld  
Jump to: