Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:56:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Westworld 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Westworld  (Read 135877 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: May 20, 2019, 12:29:34 AM

I LOVED season 1, but season 2 was resoundly "meh" in comparison.  I just assumed this was done.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #386 on: May 20, 2019, 05:39:41 AM

Considering how shit season 2 was I hope they do go a completely different direction and do something interesting.

It certainly looks like they are going in a completely different direction, so much so that I had no idea it even was a WW teaser. Not that I agree the second season was bad.

I am the .00000001428%
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: May 20, 2019, 10:29:19 AM

Considering how shit season 2 was I hope they do go a completely different direction and do something interesting.

That's, like, your opinion man.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: May 26, 2019, 02:35:40 PM

I LOVED season 1, but season 2 was resoundly "meh" in comparison.  I just assumed this was done.
Season 2 put a lot on the viewer, without any real rails to help them get what the fuck was going on.

I mean in theory it was a cool idea ("let's play with fragmented memory and an uncertain timeline") but in practice they needed to give viewers something to latch on to so they could put it together themselves. Not just whatever die-hard fans caught all the clues hidden in one frame buried in corners or whatever.

There's ways to do mixed up chronologies, plenty of them, and they don't have to be that "WTF". It just seemed like they took a decent idea and turned it up to 11 to make it the "mystery" instead of using it as a storytelling device.

They could have used it to showcase motivations, highlight plots and character development, and still left viewers with a coherent idea of what the hell was going on. Let the disjointed time-flow illustrate the seeds of later decisions, why they chose to do what they did, why certain events came to pass the way they did, etc.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #389 on: May 26, 2019, 10:56:06 PM

My main reason for liking season 1 more is probably because I prefer the "spoiled rich assholes having fun in a themepark at the expense of synths who are not yet quite aware of what is happening to them" part of the show.  I really like where S1 went at the end, but for S2 I was hoping more for a bit of damage control and a reset.  Instead we got synth apocalypse, and the evil corporation trying to fight it off.  I want more robot themepark, where we don't really know who is who or what is what. 

Still one of my favorite series.  I just think they are going for the money shot a bit too quickly.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #390 on: May 27, 2019, 12:34:29 AM

It's all production design and some solid actors given dog shit to work with but managing to be engaging.  There was about 90 minutes of interesting plotting in S2 and a whole lot of flack obscuring it.  I really hope they get their shit together in S3 and have an actual fucking point.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #391 on: May 27, 2019, 08:34:28 AM

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #392 on: February 20, 2020, 04:25:26 PM

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #393 on: February 20, 2020, 10:45:55 PM

It looks a bit terrible, but I loved the song and will watch it.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #394 on: February 20, 2020, 11:27:46 PM

Yeah, I don't get it.  One of the reasons Season 1 was so great was because of the Themepark aspect of it.  You know, WESTworld.  The place people would go and fulfill their fantasies, plus also raping and murdering possible sentient machines.  Season 2 still had some of it, but the themepark was increasingly shoved to the side.  Season 3 could just be called Regularrobotworld.  I will watch it, but I have no doubt I will like it even less.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: February 21, 2020, 07:56:00 AM

The original flicks were about robot rebellion, with the sense that if the robots *could* get out, they would. I think it's a fairly proper evolution of the series so far--the sense that self-aware machines created to just be hurt and raped for human entertainment (and possibly as testbeds for human immortality) have every justification for vengeance and revolution, so let's see that play out. Kind of Planet of the Apes only robots v humans. It's an old story, sure, but there's room to tell it in fresh ways. Staying inside the theme park means conceding from the outset that the robots are gonna lose, because so what if they gain control of the theme park? Turn it off, nuke it from orbit, close all the doors. Human beings don't learn anything except, "Don't make potentially self-aware robots in a theme park".
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #396 on: February 21, 2020, 07:57:44 AM

Finding excuses to keep it inside the theme park would have doomed it to a slow death by stupidity.  I would've been fine with them dragging out the Season 1 story, personally, but once that was done they kinda had to move it along.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #397 on: February 21, 2020, 09:39:53 AM

This season has Marshawn Lynch. Be there.

-Rasix
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: February 21, 2020, 09:52:22 AM

Finding excuses to keep it inside the theme park would have doomed it to a slow death by stupidity.  I would've been fine with them dragging out the Season 1 story, personally, but once that was done they kinda had to move it along.

Probably.  I would have liked them to stretch out season 1, because that was the best material by far.  I wouldn’t have been hard to do.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: February 21, 2020, 01:58:04 PM

The original flicks were about robot rebellion, with the sense that if the robots *could* get out, they would. I think it's a fairly proper evolution of the series so far--the sense that self-aware machines created to just be hurt and raped for human entertainment (and possibly as testbeds for human immortality) have every justification for vengeance and revolution, so let's see that play out. Kind of Planet of the Apes only robots v humans. It's an old story, sure, but there's room to tell it in fresh ways. Staying inside the theme park means conceding from the outset that the robots are gonna lose, because so what if they gain control of the theme park? Turn it off, nuke it from orbit, close all the doors. Human beings don't learn anything except, "Don't make potentially self-aware robots in a theme park".

Nah, the original flick wasn't about "rebellion", but rather just "what happens when you lose control".   The robots weren't actively rebelling in the first movie, they just slipped their programming constraints and started killing people because the fail safe mechanisms designed to prevent them from harming a guest stopped working.  There was no deliberate or organized malicious intent on the part of the robots.   It was purely "theme park ride kills people", and the robots had about as much actual agency as a runaway roller coaster would.  I am not even sure the "personal vendetta" the badguy robot in the movie seems to have for the Protagonist is even really proper "agency" on the robot's part, and not just a stuck loop in it's programming when you really think about it. 

Futureworld was even farther off, in that it wasn't actually about the robots, so much as it was about the Delos corporation and what they were doing with robots that they had created that could effectively mimic a human being close enough to be indistinguishable from the real thing.   In that movie, Delos was a sinister organization that was luring important people into their themepark, then abducting them, killing them, and replacing them with robot doppelgangers.   The robots themselves however were pretty much entirely secondary to what was going on in the movie itself.

Neither of the two movies really even scratched the surface of the whole idea of looking at things from the point of view of the robots themselves.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 02:01:00 PM by SurfD »

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #400 on: February 21, 2020, 02:01:01 PM

What I find boring about it is that the humans are so fucking stupid.  They make the robots.  They understand the maximum mental and physical abilities of the bots.  ... and yet they continuously seem unprepared for what a bot with a gun can do, to typically lethal (for the human) results.  Humans seriously wouldn't have military bots (or even just really really tough trash collector/processor bots) to handle an outbreak?  Not buying it.

They should have tried to find some divergent behavior that the bots were capable of that the humans hadn't thought of (hive mind?) that gave the bots an advantage.  Instead, they make only a modest attempt at introducing divergent behavior that would not normally be expected (bot's ability to dominate other bots), but that also is cliched to death.  (oh, so there are no security protocols to prevent one bot from /sudo'ng another bot... really?)

It's not new, it's not ground breaking.  The sex is all it really had going for it.  Well, and the actors, who I think are really good.  And the cinematography.  Ok, ok, really, if they just had a decent plot with some decent twists it would be fantastic.  I'm really hard on stories being derivative/already done to death/not clever.  It's getting worse as I get older.

Yes, I will let myself out.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #401 on: February 21, 2020, 02:29:59 PM

I am not entirely certain it was stupidity, and not Arrogance.    Despite everything we know, looking in from the outside as viewers watching the show, it is entirely possible the people running the Delos Park simply were so arrogant in their belief that the machines were JUST machines that it never actually occurred to them that the bots could or would slip their controls.   Remember, from what we know in season 1 and 2, pretty much the ENTIRE situation arises from the deliberate meddling of a few individuals who were running their own agenda that basically everyone else was almost completely unaware of.

Unfortunately, we don't have enough of a grasp of what things are like OUTSIDE the park, in their "real world" to understand if the activities of the people in the park really are stupidity or arrogance.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: February 21, 2020, 02:59:03 PM

Well, we also have some reason to think that Robert Ford has systematically deceived Delos and others about the capabilities of the hosts on multiple levels. Also there may be Delos executives who have always intended for the hosts to escape--it's a bit hard to say for sure whether there aren't other forces at work here. But it's also clearly arrogance on the part of the response teams--they didn't think all of this was possible and they didn't really take any risks seriously until they were getting slaughtered.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #403 on: February 21, 2020, 11:28:16 PM

I mean, those Boston Dynamics guys aren't making those kinds of contingency plans. "But they don't need to" you say.  Right.  Until they do and it's too late.

And while I am being smarmy, I am actually not.  Companies don't do that kind of planning until they are absolutely forced to and they have run out of other priorities.  And even then, they do it terribly and with the minimum possible effort. 

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #404 on: February 22, 2020, 12:06:47 PM

Agree that humans being caught flat-footed is fine for S1.  Definitely the humans at ground zero of the uprising can be caught with their pants down.   (although ... you can make robot bodies, yet you have an entirely human security force?  That just doesn't make economic sense - why pay humans?)

Maybe you could say the same for S2 if the secret of robot sentience was contained, but shouldn't there at least be some sort of a different containment strategy other than, "throw more human bodies at it"?  Also, there is no emergency shut-off signal?  You hire a security force, but never implement a shut off?  At least throw me the bone of a human attempting to trigger a shut off, and hand wave how the bot sentience makes the override useless.

For S3, I'm just not buying it.  ANY sort of scanner should pick a bot up right away.  Where are the aerial drones?

Agree Cyrrex, companies fuck up all the time.  Ego, arrogance, not thinking things through, peter principle.  But mostly they fuck up because their rushing to market and cutting costs... and we're back to a robot security force with programming that isn't weighted down with simulating human emotion in bodies that are beefed up/military grade instead of soft-as-human-as-possible on networks that the pleasure bots are not on.

My brain simply refuses to not think these things and it fucks up this show for me.   :( and now I realize that I'm trying to infect all of you with the same thinking.  :headslap:  sorry.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #405 on: February 22, 2020, 01:19:14 PM

I don't think we know yet what kind of bodies Delores et al have built for themselves out in the real world.

There's also the possibility that the "real world" is yet another layer of simulation--or another location in the theme park, and this is part of Ford (or Delos') testing program. (Can a self-aware AI or bot learn not to kill after it has learned to kill?)
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #406 on: February 23, 2020, 04:31:49 AM

« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 04:44:58 AM by luckton »

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: March 16, 2020, 01:48:45 AM

Aaron Paul. Tommy Flanagan. Common People.  Good.

Withholding judgment but these fuckers have at least hooked me in.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #408 on: March 16, 2020, 11:50:16 AM

Aaron Paul. Tommy Flanagan. Common People.  Good.

Withholding judgment but these fuckers have at least hooked me in.

Agree.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #409 on: March 22, 2020, 11:31:23 PM

Cautiously optimistic after Ep.2 as I thought it was back on its bullshit at the park, but not so much.

-H.L. Mencken
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #410 on: March 24, 2020, 12:13:38 PM

I don't think we know yet what kind of bodies Delores et al have built for themselves out in the real world.

There's also the possibility that the "real world" is yet another layer of simulation--or another location in the theme park, and this is part of Ford (or Delos') testing program. (Can a self-aware AI or bot learn not to kill after it has learned to kill?)
That's too clever. I think one of the constants in this show is Humans = Dumb.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #411 on: March 29, 2020, 09:43:22 PM

So this show is now, uh, really good. Also ERW is hot as the sun.

-H.L. Mencken
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #412 on: March 30, 2020, 10:29:54 AM

Agreed on both counts.  So far I'd say season 3 is significantly better than season 2, although season 1 remains very hard to top.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #413 on: March 30, 2020, 12:00:46 PM

You'r thinking with your dick.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #414 on: March 31, 2020, 05:51:56 PM

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #415 on: March 31, 2020, 06:31:03 PM

Have they actually clarified who Tessa's host is?

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #416 on: March 31, 2020, 09:06:47 PM

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #417 on: March 31, 2020, 09:10:08 PM

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #418 on: March 31, 2020, 10:26:59 PM

Nah. Probably Angela.

-H.L. Mencken
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #419 on: April 03, 2020, 06:08:20 AM

I figured clementine.

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Westworld  
Jump to: