Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2019, 01:22:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Shop: Amazon
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Westworld 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Westworld  (Read 50233 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: May 20, 2019, 02:29:34 AM

I LOVED season 1, but season 2 was resoundly "meh" in comparison.  I just assumed this was done.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #386 on: May 20, 2019, 07:39:41 AM

Considering how shit season 2 was I hope they do go a completely different direction and do something interesting.

It certainly looks like they are going in a completely different direction, so much so that I had no idea it even was a WW teaser. Not that I agree the second season was bad.

I am the .00000001428%
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: May 20, 2019, 12:29:19 PM

Considering how shit season 2 was I hope they do go a completely different direction and do something interesting.

That's, like, your opinion man.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: May 26, 2019, 04:35:40 PM

I LOVED season 1, but season 2 was resoundly "meh" in comparison.  I just assumed this was done.
Season 2 put a lot on the viewer, without any real rails to help them get what the fuck was going on.

I mean in theory it was a cool idea ("let's play with fragmented memory and an uncertain timeline") but in practice they needed to give viewers something to latch on to so they could put it together themselves. Not just whatever die-hard fans caught all the clues hidden in one frame buried in corners or whatever.

There's ways to do mixed up chronologies, plenty of them, and they don't have to be that "WTF". It just seemed like they took a decent idea and turned it up to 11 to make it the "mystery" instead of using it as a storytelling device.

They could have used it to showcase motivations, highlight plots and character development, and still left viewers with a coherent idea of what the hell was going on. Let the disjointed time-flow illustrate the seeds of later decisions, why they chose to do what they did, why certain events came to pass the way they did, etc.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #389 on: May 27, 2019, 12:56:06 AM

My main reason for liking season 1 more is probably because I prefer the "spoiled rich assholes having fun in a themepark at the expense of synths who are not yet quite aware of what is happening to them" part of the show.  I really like where S1 went at the end, but for S2 I was hoping more for a bit of damage control and a reset.  Instead we got synth apocalypse, and the evil corporation trying to fight it off.  I want more robot themepark, where we don't really know who is who or what is what. 

Still one of my favorite series.  I just think they are going for the money shot a bit too quickly.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #390 on: May 27, 2019, 02:34:29 AM

It's all production design and some solid actors given dog shit to work with but managing to be engaging.  There was about 90 minutes of interesting plotting in S2 and a whole lot of flack obscuring it.  I really hope they get their shit together in S3 and have an actual fucking point.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

-H.L. Mencken
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #391 on: May 27, 2019, 10:34:28 AM

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Westworld  
Jump to: