Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:20:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Westworld 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Westworld  (Read 135875 times)
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #455 on: April 28, 2020, 07:55:24 AM

I like it slightly better than season 2?
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #456 on: April 28, 2020, 11:45:39 AM

This show frustrates me so much. It should be so good. A cool premise and they are throwing a fuckton of money at it. They have a great cast and crew but the writing/plotting is just bleh.  They teased me with the first half of the season but it is so back on its bullshit the last couple of episodes and I don't have a lot of hope for next week's finale.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #457 on: April 30, 2020, 01:52:17 PM

I'm still liking it a lot better than season 2, but yeah, they need to move this shit along.  I feel like the last couple of episodes haven't told me anything I didn't already know.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #458 on: April 30, 2020, 05:04:05 PM

I'm still liking it a lot better than season 2, but yeah, they need to move this shit along.  I feel like the last couple of episodes haven't told me anything I didn't already know.

Same, but I've been really happy with the ride so far.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #459 on: May 03, 2020, 11:26:17 PM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!  None of that made any fucking sense at all. The whole show is just

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #460 on: May 03, 2020, 11:35:22 PM

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #461 on: May 04, 2020, 04:55:36 AM

I sense emotion.

Hic sunt dracones.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #462 on: May 04, 2020, 07:17:27 AM

Edit: Serac is the shows good guy, prove me wrong.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Somehow it didn't surprise me that he turned out to be    why so serious?

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #463 on: May 04, 2020, 10:53:58 PM

After 8 whole hours of television they managed to make me care less about all the characters thanI did coming in.  That is quite the accomplishment.  Maybe by the end of season 4 I will actively hate them.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #464 on: May 05, 2020, 12:07:38 AM

I actively hate them already with the lone exception of Giggles because that is basically Marshawn Lynch playing himself.

Oh, and if you didn't know there is a long post-credit sequence that is equal parts stupid and enraging, so be sure to hang around for that.

-H.L. Mencken
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #465 on: May 06, 2020, 03:43:56 PM

That season just kind of did a header into a block of solid concrete. I thought you were exaggerating a bit there, but man, that did not end well. I didn't hate the run up as much, but that last episode was really fucking bad. I mean, you could see it heading in a possibly bad direction with the whole "army of clones" angle and the cylon testicle God, but I didn't expect it to end up in such a garbage space with such a badly written pair of episodes to close it out.

They could have possibly saved it with a good final episode, but when it finished, I didn't expect them to end on that. Yikes.

-Rasix
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #466 on: May 07, 2020, 06:42:34 AM

My wife just rage-quit this series in the same fashion she did Walking Dead. Shouting and demanding her wasted time back.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #467 on: May 07, 2020, 03:45:27 PM

HAHAHA! you were all so high on this in the beginning of this season I started to second guess myself (I tapped out on the first show of S2), but I stayed firm.  I was sure they couldn't bring it around.  I hug me!
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #468 on: May 08, 2020, 01:57:18 AM

I keep watching the final 1.5 episodes of each season as not miss out on anything.  And I'm watching for the train wreck anger it generates. The show itself is so bloody stupid.

Highlights for me in this latest last episode:

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #469 on: May 18, 2020, 08:23:21 PM

They didn't miss in the last scene. She was riddled with bullet holes where it didn't matter.

Im pretty sure JJ Abrams wrote and directed the last few episodes. Rise of SkyHosts.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #470 on: June 05, 2020, 03:19:59 PM

Half way through S3, and very glad for this thread.

It is very pretty, but keeps tempting me to try to follow the plot.

Knowing that I should on no account attempt to do that makes it much more relaxing to watch.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #471 on: June 12, 2020, 09:08:53 AM

Ending of this was a bit of fun.

It became a popcorn thing, its OK. It was a damn sight easier to follow than the last one.

Totally watchable so long as you go in having read this thread and expect nothing but pulpy nonsense and Evan Rachel Wood being hot.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #472 on: June 12, 2020, 03:32:59 PM

I went into this season with no clear idea of what the fuck they were trying to accomplish.

Having binged the season, I still don't fucking know. I feel like there were about 3 or 4 plot threads they felt like exploring but none of them really cohered into a good single story.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #473 on: June 19, 2022, 09:05:51 PM

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #474 on: June 20, 2022, 07:59:37 AM

Watching that trailer I thought "oh boy, they might finally be going back to the fun cowboy stuff" and then I realized I should just go rewatch season 1.   awesome, for real

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #475 on: June 21, 2022, 05:50:55 PM

Doesn't look like there's anything remotely interesting in this season based on that trailer. Just generic mumbo-jumbo action with too many characters and the same poorly hit beats.

They have said in interviews they want to avoid the "Lost" situation and have plotted out the show to 5 seasons.

They lied.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 05:54:01 PM by lamaros »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #476 on: June 21, 2022, 08:04:38 PM

Pretty much, yeah. I mean, I believe they've got a crayon sketch that says "oh wow robots are out there in the world only what is the world really???!??: SEASON 4" and probably something like "SEASON 5: maybe Westworld is the real world and everything else the simulation or maybe Ed Harris is the Devil and Westworld is Hell, WHOA FUCK THAT'S GOOD".

I do not believe they have an actual plot of any meaningful kind of anything in this series.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #477 on: June 22, 2022, 09:52:01 AM

Pretty much, yeah. I mean, I believe they've got a crayon sketch that says "oh wow robots are out there in the world only what is the world really???!??: SEASON 4" and probably something like "SEASON 5: maybe Westworld is the real world and everything else the simulation or maybe Ed Harris is the Devil and Westworld is Hell, WHOA FUCK THAT'S GOOD".

I do not believe they have an actual plot of any meaningful kind of anything in this series.

LOL
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #478 on: July 02, 2022, 03:35:37 PM

One episode in and I think... so far so good?  Doing a time jump was a good move.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #479 on: July 02, 2022, 03:53:23 PM

Seasons typically start out good because they can create great premises. It's the follow-thru that always seems to tank.  But I am again watching this like a chump.

-H.L. Mencken
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #480 on: July 18, 2022, 08:24:59 AM

My hunch that they were doing another time-split thing is confirmed, although I thought they'd wait a bit longer to explain it.

Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #481 on: July 18, 2022, 12:17:09 PM

Seasons typically start out good because they can create great premises. It's the follow-thru that always seems to tank.  But I am again watching this like a chump.
To be honest, the entire season could be Thandiwe Newton reading out the menu of Olive Garden and I'd fucking watch it.

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #482 on: July 26, 2022, 06:43:44 AM

To be honest, the entire season could be Thandiwe Newton reading out the menu of Olive Garden and I'd fucking watch it.

So far I'm enjoying Thandiwe and Jesse taking names although I'm entirely unclear why they are doing it.

Everyone else is kind of boring me. The unclear PoV and who is/isn't a host has been ridden so hard into the ground that I really don't care anymore and don't even have the energy to try to tie the scenes together in my head.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #483 on: July 26, 2022, 07:51:34 AM

I anticipate they're going to get a lot of flak for ripping off The Matrix, but I really enjoyed the most recent episode.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #484 on: August 01, 2022, 01:00:00 PM

Enjoyed this latest one too ("Fidelity").  Again, it feels like they're ripping off other sci-fi/horror, but I don't care because what they're ripping off is good, and so is their execution.

They still have an opportunity to fuck it up, but unlike previous season I'm not watching with this sense of "okay, where is this all going?" because it's entertaining exactly where it is, if that makes sense.

Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #485 on: August 01, 2022, 02:23:45 PM

Watched all of season 4 this weekend, including the latest.  It is up there with season 1 for me in terms of how enjoyable it is.  It doesn't feel like it's out over its skis, like it did with seasons 2 and 3.  Agree it is derivative in a variety of ways, but it is very well done.

Aaron Paul blew it out of the water in the last episode.  
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #486 on: August 01, 2022, 02:33:02 PM

In this last episode, I also really appreciated the fact that they didn't lean on the "poor communication/trust" plot crutch, and had C behave extremely rationally and intelligently instead of fucking things up because robot bad.  It made me root for her as a character (yay competence!) and it also allows the plot to move forward.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #487 on: August 01, 2022, 05:39:47 PM

I just hope the Wachowskis have their IP lawyer on speed dial.

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #488 on: August 08, 2022, 09:51:03 PM

Well nearly every major character is "dead" now so that's a plus.  As predicted, the season has devolved into a clusterfuck of meaningless navel gazing and plot cul-de-sacs.  I really wish Bernie's prediction that basically everything burns to the ground and the world ends was actually true and they had the commitment to do it, but of course they won't.  Likely another truly terrible finale next week with the Sublime people coming back into the world for no discernable reason whatsoever and rejiggering the johnson rod or whatever.

How do people given this much money have so little clue on how to actually write a compelling tv show plot?

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #489 on: August 14, 2022, 08:02:19 PM

Fuck you Jonathan Nolan you fucking hack. Every time your stinky name shows up in the writing credits the episode is just garbage and retroactively destroys anything interesting that had happened during the season.

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Westworld  
Jump to: