Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:19:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Useless Movies 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Movies  (Read 167161 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #385 on: June 14, 2018, 05:53:43 PM

are you one of the korean war parents whose kid was taken back then?
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #386 on: June 15, 2018, 01:27:11 PM

I've been thinking about getting moviepass but I would probably need to get a pass for my wife, too, and then it starts getting into "do we have a babysitter lined up?"  My friends and my parents use it and they are happy with it.

Also, I don't have a smart phone, and isn't that a requirement?
Yes.  A smart phone is (essentially) a requirement.

If you get Moviepass, don't get it for your wife/family.  They'll give you free memberships to hand out for a while.

However, their customer service is useless.  They screwed up something for me and getting it fixed is a horrible joke.  Chat sessions with 30 minutes between replies from their customer service team - only to be told they need to escalate it, but escalating is impossible (huh?).  They offered free codes for IHeart Radio as part of a promotion and it looks like their codes are all invalid, but they won't admit it. 

If you get the service, use it a few times quickly to get your value out of it as I would not be surprised to see them go belly up at any time.  From what I've seen of their business plan, they collected $7.99 from me and have already paid out nearly $140.   

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: June 15, 2018, 09:04:06 PM

Some one who reads newspapers on the shitter, apparently.
[/quote]

Books.

I do have an iPad that my parents gave me for Christmas, that I didn't want, because they thought I should have one.  It only works on home Wi Fi, though, not on a data plan or whatever you call cellular connectivity. 

I don't want a smart phone because I don't want to end up like many of my family, staring at it all the time in public instead of interacting or paying attention to my child.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: July 23, 2018, 12:35:44 AM

"The Lobster".

This was a bad movie. No one should watch it. Why it was critically feted is beyond me.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #389 on: July 23, 2018, 10:27:31 PM

I got a smart phone for the first time only a couple of weeks ago.  The new house doesn't have copper (grrr) and Verizon wanted too much money for a phone so my sister MADE me get a smart phone.  I got a super cheap one.  It's too big for my hand.  I don't know where I left it.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #390 on: August 24, 2018, 01:00:29 AM

Watched Meru for the second or third time tonight. Great documentary about three guys trying to do a first ascent of a little known but very technically difficult peak in the Himalayas.. If you are interested at all in big mountain climbing (and for some reason I am weirdly obsessed with this topic despite the fact that I have a hard time climbing a large flight of stairs) it is really good. Great story and beautiful film.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #391 on: September 24, 2018, 02:53:50 PM

House with the Clock in the Walls.

Garbage.

Kids might like it.  Elena did.

Garbage.

Also, had Ted Cruz in it.

Garbage.

Avoid.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #392 on: October 09, 2018, 09:22:27 PM

Got invited to a preview showing of First Man tonight. It was fine.

Don't see it in IMAX: the special effects have been designed to look realistic instead of being designed to look impressive. It's interesting and intense to be in the cockpit of various flights and launches and freaky disasters, but it's not all the much to look at. Great sound design, though. Plenty of historical accuracy if that's your thing.

Also it's kind of a big Oscar-bait minimalist artsy metaphor about a socially awkward, emotionally constipated egghead who can only find the peace he needs in the silence of outer space.

Probably worth seeing, but I kept wishing I was watching something goofy and fun like The Right Stuff or Apollo 13. It won't lose much on the small screen except speaker volume and claustrophobia.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #393 on: October 23, 2018, 03:41:51 PM

Why isnt there a thread about the Gosling Space Movie?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #394 on: October 23, 2018, 03:43:26 PM

Cause nobody saw it?
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #395 on: October 23, 2018, 06:30:50 PM

I was dragged to it. It was a movie. It tried too hard. I already knew 90% of the story and the remainder is probably dramatic license.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: October 23, 2018, 06:50:35 PM

I was dragged to it. It was a movie. It tried too hard. I already knew 90% of the story and the remainder is probably dramatic license.

--Dave

It wasn't the moving cinematic experience many reviewers claim it is? 

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #397 on: October 23, 2018, 07:57:48 PM

I've long since given up on trying to discuss any movie here that isn't part of some nerd franchise.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: October 24, 2018, 01:29:48 AM

Make one and find out !

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: October 24, 2018, 02:22:12 AM

Is Gosling Space Movie exactly what it sounds like?  A movie about geese in search of a fresh start?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #400 on: October 24, 2018, 07:48:33 AM

Is Gosling Space Movie exactly what it sounds like?  A movie about geese in search of a fresh start?

They need liebensraum and the geese will step until they get it.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #401 on: November 03, 2018, 09:23:07 PM

Bohemian Rhapsody was formulaic but fun. Some of the first 1/3 was a trying to be a bit too on the nose funny, but the last 2/3 was good fun, even if it took serious liberties.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #402 on: November 03, 2018, 11:04:46 PM

I'm not really a fan of it. I can get past it taking some liberties because I know that they have to create some sort of narrative and drama. It just felt like the story they decided to go with didn't feel like Queen. With the exception of Malek's performance the story felt like every episode of Behind the Music where fame & fortune lead to self-destruction and ego leading to a break-up and eventually redemption and reconciliation. It paints Freddie as an outsider even within the band despite the fact that unlike in the movie he was friends and roommates with this guys even when Brian and Roger are still in their Smile days.

Also due to the apparent need for a villain, Paul Prenter gets a lot more focus that would usually be warranted in a story about Queen, and it also hits a lot of the same beats as the Jerry Heller stuff in Straight Outta Compton albeit with an added sexual component.

A lot of the songwriting and concert parts are pretty good, and in particular the Live Aid scene at the end, but those scenes also just kept giving me this nagging feeling of "why don't I just watch the actual video of Live Aid instead?"
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #403 on: November 06, 2018, 12:50:28 PM

I just saw Solomon Kane, which came out a while back. It was actually pretty good.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #404 on: December 10, 2018, 05:06:22 AM

I just saw Solomon Kane, which came out a while back. It was actually pretty good.

I just saw Okja, which came out a while back. It was actually pretty good.

Very quirky. Tilda Swinton as CEO kills it as CEO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjCebKn4iic

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #405 on: March 22, 2019, 10:21:24 AM

Watching The Inventor right now. Elizabeth Holmes has a really weird voice.

-Rasix
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #406 on: April 05, 2019, 01:36:37 AM

https://www.theonion.com/the-onion-reviews-pet-sematary-1833808594

I made the mistake of trying to watch this Onion review at work.  Only made it halfway through, and I can't stop fucking snorting and snickering, and my colleagues and boss must think I am insane now.  Something about that dude.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: May 16, 2019, 12:30:49 AM

I somehow never noticed that there was a relatively new Jurassic movie.  Fallen Kingdom or whatever.  Now, cards on the table, I rather liked the reboot (Jurassic World?)....it was a good popcorn flick if nothing else, and it looked nice.

But this last one.  Fuck me in the eye hole.  The best parts were over with in the first act, and they were only palatable because of the visuals.  The whole thing was fuckstupid, but to make matters worse....it stole and re-created scenes from all the previous movies in the series.  As if it was a clumsy homage for things that didn't need an homage.  I am not exactly a Jurassic aficionado or anything, but there were at least 10 scenes (and I was only paying half attention to the whole thing) that were mirrors of scenes from the other movies.  And definitely not in a good way.

Jesus Christ.  I want my two hours back.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #408 on: June 04, 2019, 09:39:23 AM

Watched the Godzilla movie from 2014 yesterday, as I couldn’t recall if I had seen it before, and since a new one is out I thought to myself “hey, why not”.

Most of it is boring as shit.  The last 30 minutes or so is the only worthwhile bit, monsters fighting monsters and whatnot, but of course it, too, is essentially shit.  Still, if you want to see giant monsters punching each other.....

Nah, never mind.  Avoid.  I would actually prefer to watch Pacific Rim (either one) for monster stuff.

BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #409 on: June 09, 2019, 10:00:05 PM

Pacific Rim 2 really hits the level of over the top camp that makes a film like Godzilla Final Wars watchable.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #410 on: August 20, 2019, 02:11:33 PM

Apparently we're getting a 4th Matrix movie....

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #411 on: August 20, 2019, 04:33:06 PM

y tho

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #412 on: August 20, 2019, 05:16:26 PM

dollars
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #413 on: August 20, 2019, 08:50:13 PM

That can't be the reason. I can't imagine there's too many people clamoring for a continuation of a series that had one good movie.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #414 on: August 21, 2019, 12:52:04 PM

I will be better this time, I promise.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: September 22, 2019, 07:41:15 PM

Anyone watched Ad Astra?
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #416 on: September 25, 2019, 12:11:52 AM

Anyone watched Ad Astra?

I saw it.

It's really bad.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #417 on: September 25, 2019, 02:23:27 AM

Useless trivia: my wife was an extra in the second and third Matrix movies. Not blaming her.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #418 on: September 25, 2019, 03:22:48 AM

Well, I guess if you've got the rubber gear, you may as well use it.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #419 on: September 28, 2019, 04:46:43 PM

Anyone watched Ad Astra?

I saw it.

It's really bad.

Here we agree 100%. Fucking awful.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Useless Movies  
Jump to: