Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:19:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Useless Movies 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Movies  (Read 167157 times)
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #350 on: December 09, 2017, 12:32:46 AM

Patrick Stewart Might Reprise Jean-Luc Picard Role if Tarantino Directs 'Star Trek'

Not real news and doesn't have a chance of becoming reality but I sure would watch an R-Rated Star Trek film directed by Quentin Tarantino and starring Patrick Stewart.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #351 on: December 09, 2017, 01:03:38 AM

Did you watch Green Room ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #352 on: December 09, 2017, 01:34:42 AM

Did you watch Green Room ?
I haven't watched any of Saulnier's movies though they are on my list of movies to watch (at some point).
schild
Administrator

Reply #353 on: December 09, 2017, 06:57:26 AM

i'd see Star Trek: To The Racist Beyond
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #354 on: December 11, 2017, 12:52:21 PM

If you haven't watched Get Out, what the fuck is wrong with you? GO WATCH IT NOW. It was fantastic from start to finish and it will not win any of the Oscars it deserves to, such as Best Actor.

schild
Administrator

Reply #355 on: December 11, 2017, 07:29:17 PM

irony of that post with what i just posted in the IT thread

Get Out was a fine movie.

but frankly I finished it thinking "well, I've watched Get Out now, yay."

It does not deserve oscars. The movie required very little actual acting. The missing dude was better than the lead.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #356 on: December 11, 2017, 07:52:09 PM

I disagree with what you said. (Not about Skaarsgaard but about Get Out not requiring acting).

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #357 on: December 19, 2017, 12:08:38 PM

Patrick Stewart Might Reprise Jean-Luc Picard Role if Tarantino Directs 'Star Trek'

Not real news and doesn't have a chance of becoming reality but I sure would watch an R-Rated Star Trek film directed by Quentin Tarantino and starring Patrick Stewart.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS
How many lights?  HOW MANY FUCKING LIGHTS, BEYOTCH!

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #358 on: December 24, 2017, 11:43:18 PM

Showed my boy Holy Grail tonight. Declared it "amazing." I am satisfied.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #359 on: December 24, 2017, 11:46:54 PM

Never seen Last of the Mohicans but the music keeps popping into my Pandora and its amazing so I need to watch it.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #360 on: December 26, 2017, 05:25:09 AM

That's strange, the music for that popped into my head just the other night randomly.  Compelled me to re-watch the final epic end/fight sequence to the film on youtube, which has the really over the top dramatic score.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #361 on: January 02, 2018, 03:02:48 AM

I wonder how a "Spiderman the film - written and directed by Jodie Foster" would look like...

Jodie Foster takes aim at big-budget studio movies, telling Radio Times magazine that they could spell doom for Hollywood in the way they shape the expectations of American audiences.

“Going to the movies has become like a theme park,” she told the magazine, according to the Telegraph. “Studios making bad content in order to appeal to the masses and shareholders is like fracking — you get the best return right now but you wreck the earth.”

“It’s ruining the viewing habits of the American population and then ultimately the rest of the world,” Foster continued. “I don’t want to make $200 million movies about superheroes.”

Foster made it clear that if she were to direct a superhero movie, it would have to be one with a compelling story and character at its core. Rather than doing a brainless action film, it would have to be about a character with a “really complex psychology.”

The Oscar-winning actress has shifted her focus to directing in recent years, most recently taking on an episode of the Netflix sci-fi anthology “Black Mirror.” In the interview, Foster described a “lack of respect” for directors in Hollywood that accepts only the “untouchable” likes of Steven Spielberg or Clint Eastwood.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #362 on: January 02, 2018, 07:52:33 AM

She's not wrong. And I say that as a big fan of superhero movies. The studios are really fucking themselves long term by letting places like Netflix and Amazon make and stream the smaller movies that used to be schedule fillers. The superhero bubble can't last forever.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #363 on: January 02, 2018, 04:28:38 PM

I don't love every Michael Mann movie but damn do I love Last of the Mohicans. It is like the perfect combination of a chick-flick romance film and an action film.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #364 on: January 02, 2018, 04:31:13 PM

Recent Netflix horror B-movie recommendations: Creep 2 (but watch the first Creep if you haven't) and It Follows (way better than I thought it'd be).

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: January 06, 2018, 03:15:40 PM

Logan is still as fantastic as I remember it.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: January 14, 2018, 11:24:51 PM

Showed my boy Princess Bride which is one of my all time favorite films and books. He declared it "really weird" but "awesome." So I guess I'll take that. 

I forget how god damned good Cary Elwes is in that movie even though I've seen it 50 times or so.

-H.L. Mencken
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: January 18, 2018, 07:54:58 AM

I was talking to some gamers from Europe on Teamspeak the other night, and they had never heard of the Princess Bride. How the hell do you describe how awesome hat film is? I wound up posting a youtube of the trailer at them.

Hic sunt dracones.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #368 on: January 18, 2018, 01:10:48 PM

Princess Bride is basically a perfect movie.  I rank it up there with Casablanca as a movie that pretty much everyone likes because it's got everything -- humor, romance, adventure, the whole deal.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #369 on: January 18, 2018, 01:24:02 PM

The trick that it pulls off that almost nothing else does is to both deconstruct the genre it's part of AND reconstruct it lovingly at the same time. That's goddamn genius.
schild
Administrator

Reply #370 on: January 19, 2018, 07:56:16 AM

Princess Bride is basically a perfect movie.  I rank it up there with Casablanca as a movie that pretty much everyone likes because it's got everything -- humor, romance, adventure, the whole deal.

if unfunny geeks didn't quote it thinking it was funny, i'd agree

hell is other people
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #371 on: January 31, 2018, 06:16:06 AM

Faust.  Where are you damn’d?   
  Meph.  In hell.   
  Faust.  How comes it then that thou art out of hell?   
  Meph.  Why this is hell, nor am I out of it.   
Think’st thou that I who saw the face of God,           75
And tasted the eternal joys of Heaven,   
Am not tormented with ten thousand hells,   
In being depriv’d of everlasting bliss?   
O Faustus! leave these frivolous demands,   
Which strike a terror to my fainting soul.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #372 on: February 06, 2018, 01:48:08 PM

More new Star Wars movies in the pipe...from the Game of Thrones dudes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQT-3JODB8k
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #373 on: February 06, 2018, 02:14:31 PM

Why? Fuck's sake, how many goddamn movies can they add? 2 new Star Wars Movies a year?

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #374 on: February 06, 2018, 04:05:09 PM

Why? Fuck's sake, how many goddamn movies can they add? 2 new Star Wars Movies a year?

They're up to 3 Marvel movies a year, so yeah.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #375 on: February 06, 2018, 08:50:05 PM

Are they going to make one where Jar Jar Binks' planet gets blown up?  I'd watch that. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #376 on: February 07, 2018, 10:53:23 PM

More new Star Wars movies in the pipe...from the Game of Thrones dudes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQT-3JODB8k

- "Join me, and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son."
- "I'll never join you!"
- "So be it." [Darth Vader decapitates Luke Skywalker. Fade to credits.]
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #377 on: February 21, 2018, 12:43:33 PM

The Ritual on Netflix is not horrible. Could've been amazing, but I still think it's worth a watch.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #378 on: February 21, 2018, 12:53:25 PM

I watched that one recently and agree, it was like Blair Witch but not boring.

One I watched even more recently and recommend more highly: "Don't Kill It".  Just wonderful goofy bloody fun with Dolph Lundgren as a demon hunter and a LOT of people getting killed by the demon over the course of the movie.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: April 12, 2018, 02:21:56 PM

Went to see 'Ghost Stories' with the wife.  Excellent British cast doing the age old Hammer standby of "3 ghost stories tied together with an anorexic main story".

It was fucking brilliant and really, really took me back.  Also, quite successfully scary, even though Jump Scares were mostly the order of the day.

I'm not sure what it would do for you Cousins across the water, but I've had a good night. 

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #380 on: June 08, 2018, 11:40:20 AM

Hotel Artemis has a lot of ideas, but doesn't really deliver on them. As little as there is in the trailer, those are the great moments in the film. Solid premise, wet noodle execution. Also it takes place in a boring, generic cyberpunk future for no reason.

Wait until it's free on some streaming service.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #381 on: June 10, 2018, 10:08:17 AM

Out of Curiosity: Any of you folks tried doing Moviepass, yet?

Edit: I'm using it.  Outside of them screwing me over on a promotion and having no customer support, it is saving me money and making it easier for me to decide to delay coming home for a couple hours to see mediocre films.  I still expect them to go belly up soon.  They're hemorrhaging money. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 01:09:05 PM by jgsugden »

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #382 on: June 14, 2018, 03:49:28 PM

I've been thinking about getting moviepass but I would probably need to get a pass for my wife, too, and then it starts getting into "do we have a babysitter lined up?"  My friends and my parents use it and they are happy with it.

Also, I don't have a smart phone, and isn't that a requirement?
schild
Administrator

Reply #383 on: June 14, 2018, 04:08:38 PM

Also, I don't have a smart phone, and isn't that a requirement?

What ARE you?
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #384 on: June 14, 2018, 05:49:17 PM

What ARE you?
[/quote]

Some one who reads newspapers on the shitter, apparently.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Useless Movies  
Jump to: