Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:10:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Rogue One 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rogue One  (Read 96561 times)
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #245 on: December 27, 2016, 10:02:20 AM

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: December 28, 2016, 07:36:55 AM

Film was fucking awesome, all the way through.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #247 on: December 28, 2016, 10:11:06 PM

So seeing the ending scene with Darth and Carrie dying reminds me of the most vivid dream I have ever had in my life. It was 37 some odd years ago but I still remember it.  I was one of the dudes in a helmet that sets up on the Tantive IV right before the troopers burn through the door.  I survive the initial engagement and duck behind a door into another room off the main hallway, suddenly Vader enters the doorway and looms over me.  I take aim with my blaster and all that comes out is one of those little suction cup darts. It goes plonk and sticks to Vader right in the eye of his helmet. I have a momentary flash of furious anger at my little brother (that I don't actually have) for switching out my blaster with his dart gun followed by Vader taking his light saber and bringing it down on me. I woke up just as he hits me with it.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: December 28, 2016, 11:47:54 PM

Your fake little brother's a dick.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: December 28, 2016, 11:51:20 PM

I know right!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: December 29, 2016, 01:43:22 AM

Perfectly normal dream. For a 12 year old.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: December 29, 2016, 01:51:42 AM

The other one I remember from around that exact same time period was being chased through my house by a T-Rex and waking up right as he was about to eat me.  Paging Carl Jung, Dr. Jung to the thread please.

-H.L. Mencken
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #252 on: December 29, 2016, 04:39:43 PM

Wonder if that's the same T-Rex that used to chase me, too.  I had recurring childhood dreams of being chased by him while trying to run away in slow motion.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: December 29, 2016, 05:23:55 PM

I wonder if this is how the Pixar guys thought up Monsters Inc.
"When I was a child, I dreamed of a furry green troll lurking in my bedroom closet.'
"Hey me too!"
"Go Picture!"

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #254 on: December 29, 2016, 05:49:24 PM

I had a recurring dream of getting into lightsaber fights with a jawa in the playground of my elementary school.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: December 29, 2016, 06:25:09 PM

I dreamt my parents were evil wizards and i was the only one who could stop their evil wizard plot.

I am the .00000001428%
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: December 30, 2016, 12:07:03 PM

I dreamt my parents were evil wizards and i was the only one who could stop their evil wizard plot.

This is real, they cast a spell to make you think it was a dream.  YOU MUST STOP THEM!!!!!!!
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: December 30, 2016, 12:17:37 PM

Stay on target..

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #258 on: December 30, 2016, 12:46:45 PM

When I was a kid I had an awesome series of dreams that revolved around me having a pet anklyosaurus. I still have occasional dreams where I can sort of fly. By which I mean I'll dream that I'm walking along and then all of a sudden my feet don't touch the ground and I'm hovering on some kind of upwards force - like there are really strong magnets in my shoes that are being repelled by equally strong magnets in the ground. If I'm careful I can carry on walking like that, just off the floor.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: December 30, 2016, 04:16:46 PM

When I was a kid I had an awesome series of dreams that revolved around me having a pet anklyosaurus. I still have occasional dreams where I can sort of fly. By which I mean I'll dream that I'm walking along and then all of a sudden my feet don't touch the ground and I'm hovering on some kind of upwards force - like there are really strong magnets in my shoes that are being repelled by equally strong magnets in the ground. If I'm careful I can carry on walking like that, just off the floor.

Look, no one cares about your shitty dreams. This is the Rogue One thread!

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: December 30, 2016, 05:23:02 PM

Sorry for the derail.

On topic, Ben Mendelsohn has confirmed that they radically changed the movie during the reshoots

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rogue-one-alternate-scenes-ben-mendelsohn-says-enormously-version-exists-959791

-H.L. Mencken
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: December 30, 2016, 08:13:44 PM

I thought it was a serviceable movie, but something was missing that I couldn't put my finger on.  At least until I saw the brief Plinkett You Tube video.

It's amazing how he can illustrate the exact problems with the more recent SW movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJgfxlgUIZY
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: December 30, 2016, 10:07:58 PM

Jesus fuck, that's an awful review. I mean, I suppose it's great if you mainly trade in cynical hate of everything, but other than that, what worthless shite.

If you come into this film not knowing any Star Wars background, yeah, you're gonna be fucking lost. Also, I have no sympathy for you. Enjoy your splosions and shut the fuck up. The rest of us know what the Force is, and who the bad guy was, and if we were paying even the slightest attention to the movie in between our damn kids getting up to go to the bathroom, and losing their 3d glasses when they came back, we even understood the power dynamic between them all.

Sorry fat toothless fuck didn't like the characters. I loved em. They weren't larger than life heroes, because they weren't meant to be. This was the first war film I can remember that showed the people who got shit done and got no mention in history. Sure, everyone remembers Leia, she got captured and rescued! And the guys that rescued her? Awesome! Dude even has a giant bear for a friend! Neato! But none of that would matter a whit if it weren't for the nameless dead who brought the plans out. The Rebellion would have been absolutely smashed. And I thought for the time that we had in the movie to do character development, that they did damn well, with the minor gripe about Saw being fucking worthless as far as giving a damn goes. He was a tool to move plot. Fine. Grr.

Sorry some folks aren't going to like it. Not everybody is going to like everything. I thought it was the best Star Wars show, or at least tied for first, and I'll be buying that bitch the day it comes out.

Also, dude was wrong and I hate him now.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: December 30, 2016, 11:12:40 PM

Heh. I enjoyed the movie but think Mike is absolutely right in assessing it as a film (which is what he is talking about here).  It's 100% dependent on exogenous info to make any sense or have any resonance whatsoever.

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #264 on: December 30, 2016, 11:19:51 PM

Or in another words, it's a sequel/prequel?  why so serious?

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: December 30, 2016, 11:43:51 PM

I think it is more than that.  There is usually at least some short-hand establishment dialogue to at least establish a lot of that.  Thinking about RoTJ or FA (both of which I have watched in the last two week), there is TONS of dialogue that sets up prior relationships/plot points on how they got to where they are.  R1 had none of that at all.

I walked out of Rogue One (which again, I enjoyed) and other than Jyn (since they said the name so much) or prior characters I knew from other films, I couldn't tell you a single new character's name (had to look them up later) and none of them had any backstory whatsoever.  You know more about Ben Kenobi after 3 minutes of SW than you know about any of the R1 characters after the whole movie.  

-H.L. Mencken
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #266 on: December 31, 2016, 04:58:52 AM

Heh. I enjoyed the movie but think Mike is absolutely right in assessing it as a film (which is what he is talking about here).  It's 100% dependent on exogenous info to make any sense or have any resonance whatsoever.

That's fine but I don't know how helpful it is to examine the movie while putting yourself in the mindset of someone completely unfamiliar with Star Wars. Rogue One does have a lot of problems (lack of characterization being the biggest for me). Some hypothetical viewer not knowing who Darth Vader is or that he can force choke people is far down the list of issues. I can't see spreading 5 additional minutes of exposition in throughout the movie making an improvement. The notion just reminds me of old comic books where every single issue there's a scene where the characters all address each other by name and work in a description of each of their powers at some point.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: December 31, 2016, 06:55:09 AM

Or in another words, it's a sequel/prequel?  why so serious?

A better defence is that you can say the same to some degree about all historical fiction. War films generally rely on events that already have meaning to the viewer.

When they rely on the viewer understanding that a death star is bad or Darth Vader is scary that's fine. If the referencing squeezes out characters actually in this movie it is bad.

I need to watch it at least twice to decide what I think on sonething like this because on a first watch I'm entirely distracted by XWings and ATATs.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #268 on: December 31, 2016, 03:31:37 PM

Some hypothetical viewer not knowing who Darth Vader is or that he can force choke people is far down the list of issues. I can't see spreading 5 additional minutes of exposition in throughout the movie making an improvement.
They didn't explain that in the original either.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #269 on: December 31, 2016, 03:47:57 PM

Nope, there's even dialog to that effect in the movie.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: December 31, 2016, 11:08:28 PM

I got to see this in a tiny theater in a mountain ski resort, but it was good even on crappy chairs.

The best part was the last 5 minutes, and the 15 mins leading up to it. I really like how they tied into Star Wars Ep 4 (which I watched a couple of nights later, worked very well).  Everything was great, but I found the robot-as-comic-relief annoying.

- Viin
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #271 on: December 31, 2016, 11:36:48 PM

I got to see this finally.  Alone, but at least I got to see it.

Really enjoyed it. Well, everything but the CGI'd dead/aged humans. Leia looked like Shrek. Tarkin was OK in some scenes and in others he looked like he was mainlining collagen. The uncanny valley is strong.

It was nice going in knowing nothing more than the end point of the story, and I thought they handled that very well.

-Rasix
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: January 01, 2017, 04:03:44 AM

Really enjoyed it. Well, everything but the CGI'd dead/aged humans. Leia looked like Shrek. Tarkin was OK in some scenes and in others he looked like he was mainlining collagen. The uncanny valley is strong.

It was nice going in knowing nothing more than the end point of the story, and I thought they handled that very well.
It actually boggles my mind how movies like the Jungle Book and Life of Pi can do CGI animals down to individual hairs that look so realistic you pretty much can't tell where the real animals are in the shots (if there are any at all), yet we still can't manage to do humans that don't somehow trigger the Uncanny Valley detectors.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: January 01, 2017, 10:15:12 AM

It actually boggles my mind how movies like the Jungle Book and Life of Pi can do CGI animals down to individual hairs that look so realistic you pretty much can't tell where the real animals are in the shots (if there are any at all), yet we still can't manage to do humans that don't somehow trigger the Uncanny Valley detectors.

Because those animals are just as "fake" looking as the humans but it's a lot harder for us to tell since they are completely different species.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #274 on: January 01, 2017, 12:11:42 PM

Yep. The life of Pi tiger looked fake to me. However I've spent a not-usual amount of time of my life looking at all kinds of cats.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: January 01, 2017, 09:04:48 PM

I found both Pi and Jungle Book to be films to admire rather than enjoy - precisely because of the soulless uncanny valley cgi.

It wasn't just the animals - the backgrounds all had a horrid, over saturated, bad HDR look with too much too consistent detailing on everything.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: January 01, 2017, 10:10:07 PM

I think this thread has also unscientifically proven to me that some people can't be easily fooled, while others have brains that seem to adapt and accept.  We already know this has something to do with our primitive instincts and ability to recognize any kind of "wrongness" in human facial patterns.  The interesting part to me is how strong the instinct is in some of us, while some of you motherfuckers don't even notice.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #277 on: January 01, 2017, 10:16:07 PM

The two CGI characters in this movie looked perfect.  Honestly couldn't tell.  Life of Pi tiger also looked totally real, and I had assumed it really was (I knew the two Star Wars characters had to be CGI or video edited somehow for obvious reasons).

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #278 on: January 01, 2017, 10:33:36 PM

Are you sure? Take another look.

Quote from: Teleku
That doesn't look like anything to me.

-Rasix
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: January 01, 2017, 11:39:20 PM

Tarkin looked okay, but he moved like a video game character.  He didn't wobble.  He moved sharply.

Leia looked horribly hilariously fake.  Like that scene was added last minute, and they grabbed some assets from a LucasArts game in lieu of trying to render her better.

I enjoyed the movie, although like many others, I couldn't tell you the name of anyone other than Jyn.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Rogue One  
Jump to: