Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:01:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Rogue One 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rogue One  (Read 97312 times)
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #175 on: December 18, 2016, 05:54:09 PM

I just saw it and I realize I don't remember the names of anyone in the main cast.

It was okay I guess? The action scenes were well done for sure. I probably won't remember it after a week or so though.

More detailed opinions:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 06:19:57 PM by Fabricated »

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: December 18, 2016, 06:24:30 PM

For me TFA was entertaining but also quite bad and forgettable, am I going to think differently about this?

I'm getting mixed messages. Better than TFA but still mostly in the same vein?
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #177 on: December 18, 2016, 06:50:38 PM

For me TFA was entertaining but also quite bad and forgettable, am I going to think differently about this?

Someone said "It's a war movie set in the Star Wars universe", which is accurate. Less character development, more action, no real forcepower stuff for the main plot, darker overall plot.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: December 19, 2016, 04:25:49 AM

Definitely not "in the same vein". You may or may not like it, but probably not for the same reasons as tFA.

This is not a JJA movie.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #179 on: December 19, 2016, 05:17:59 AM

Yeah it's a darker movie, I suspect because Deadpool did so well execs felt better about going a little darker. "Oh, fantasy audiences will accept more mature stories? Who knew!?"

There's a lot of scenes in the trailers that simply don't exist in the final cut of the movie which are leading people to suspect the darker tone is what happened in the reshoots. Funny because when they first happened everyone was worried they were lightening it up.

I think on second watch some of it was a bit uneven. The whole first act, while visually stunning and totally Star Wars, felt unneeded. There were a few bits that happen which imply consequences later that never materialize. Whether because of the reshoots or just odd decisions I don't know.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: December 19, 2016, 06:29:54 AM

Somewhat bizarrely I saw two films on Saturday featuring Alan Tudyk. One as a chicken and the other as a robot. There's probably a deeper meaning there.

The final battle scene was excellent, WAY better than TFA.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: December 19, 2016, 09:12:52 AM

I don't know what people saw but to me  looked flawless and  looked weird as fuck.  Person I went with thought the first one was just a lookalike playing the part, but she thought it was a real person for sure.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #182 on: December 19, 2016, 10:03:16 AM

I'm with you, Threash. The one that only had one line looked good, the other looked plastic and obviously CGI. I mean, it's a seriously small nit to pick because it didn't ruin the movie for me at all. Just one of those things I wished they'd done differently.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #183 on: December 19, 2016, 10:35:01 AM

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #184 on: December 19, 2016, 11:29:39 AM

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: December 19, 2016, 11:57:35 AM

I am the .00000001428%
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #186 on: December 19, 2016, 12:06:23 PM

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: December 19, 2016, 12:21:16 PM

I am the .00000001428%
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: December 19, 2016, 12:46:11 PM

I was so bored with the first 30-40 minutes of this movie, I was hard to care about the rest of it.

I just didn't have the emotional connection to the characters that the movie needed to work. Saw Guererra's character was pointless, and the young Jyn scenes didn't make me care at all.

The last 30 minutes were pretty damn good. Didn't mind most of the callbacks, aside from the uncanny valley shit. Vader's suit looked Janky as hell. Didn't care from Krennic. K2S0 was the best character in the movie (which is part of the problem).  The last 2 minutes or so was probably the best part, but it was total fan service that felt bolted on by some exec.

As mediocre as I find Abram's facsimile, TFA is probably the more enjoyable film.

RedLetterMedia put their review up, and I agree with most of it:
http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-rogue-one/
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #189 on: December 19, 2016, 01:14:36 PM

RedLetterMedia put their review up, and I agree with most of it:
http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-rogue-one/

Jesus fuck, this schtick has absolutely gotten really really fucking old.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #190 on: December 19, 2016, 01:18:04 PM

The two from the bar showing up were a bit excessive as well. Unnecessary, pointless and the scene took me out of the film for a bit when I should have been more invested. I half expected to see a CGI Han and Chewie, next.

See, now I loved that scene. It was member berry fanservice sure, but not in any way that impacted the movie. It wasn't Kirk dieing in a reactor core while saying goodbye to Spock because of Timey Wimey stuff. It was harmless, brief, and amusing.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #191 on: December 19, 2016, 01:20:27 PM

I kind of appreciated the Vader's suit looked a little janky (it did) because that's how it looked in 1977. I had commented to my buddy after - imagine what Vader would look like if they had created the character today...

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #192 on: December 19, 2016, 01:21:46 PM

I thought their attention to detail in the costuming and hairstyling was so spot on, especially for the Rebel people. If you'd put a "shitty 70's filter" on the film and maybe made the AT-AT's all stop-motion janky, it would have looked like it had been made in 1977.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #193 on: December 19, 2016, 01:25:12 PM

All those magnificent mustaches.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: December 19, 2016, 01:46:34 PM

Not just the hairs and costumes, the death star plans were stored in basically an 8 track.

I am the .00000001428%
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: December 19, 2016, 01:53:50 PM

What I find interesting is how the delivery of some lines in a New Hope now work differently after seeing this film.  They had fun aligning the two films.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: December 19, 2016, 02:13:33 PM

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: December 19, 2016, 02:23:03 PM

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: December 19, 2016, 03:04:34 PM

Better than it had any right to be. TFA was lazy pandering with the worst aspects of 2015 storytelling wrapped around good production values. Like the call of duty of star wars movies. I dont know why disney loosened the reigne but this is pandering to the stars wars fanbase done right. Sure vador looks... off and the plot plows forward with very little breaks to give you more fleshed out characters. But I did like the characters in this way more than i should have. I did feel some type of way seeing them all go through the last 30 minutes of the movie. They did so much to make this feel like stars wars. And this movie was actually funny without giving a jar jar/finn character to wish we had a mute and fast forward button. Gladly watch this with the rest of the six.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:06:57 PM by MediumHigh »
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: December 19, 2016, 03:07:58 PM

I really enjoyed it, I thought the fanservice moments largely worked, the two from the bar was really great. I saw it with my GF who hasn't seen any of the films and she actually stayed awake through the whole film and enjoyed it. She was disappointed to discover storm troopers were bad guys though.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: December 19, 2016, 04:43:26 PM

I really enjoyed it, I thought the fanservice moments largely worked, the two from the bar was really great. I saw it with my GF who hasn't seen any of the films and she actually stayed awake through the whole film and enjoyed it. She was disappointed to discover storm troopers were bad guys though.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: December 19, 2016, 05:49:54 PM

So I have a question.  What happened to the Bothans?  Are we supposed to forget that many of them died stealing the Death Star plans or did I miss something? Head scratch
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #202 on: December 19, 2016, 06:06:52 PM

So I have a question.  What happened to the Bothans?  Are we supposed to forget that many of them died stealing the Death Star plans or did I miss something? Head scratch

Wrong Death Star.  Many Bothans died to obtain information about the *second* Death Star.

Saw this today and definitely enjoyed it.  Nice to see a movie set in the star wars universe that didn't need to blow up a death star or make heavy use of existing characters.  Maybe there's hope after all.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 06:08:24 PM by Quinton »
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #203 on: December 19, 2016, 06:42:18 PM

I believe there was a Corellian longshoreman by the name of Emanuel, "Manny" Bothans that died in the Imperial assault on Jedha.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: December 20, 2016, 09:42:00 AM

So I have a question.  What happened to the Bothans?  Are we supposed to forget that many of them died stealing the Death Star plans or did I miss something? Head scratch

Wrong Death Star.  Many Bothans died to obtain information about the *second* Death Star.

Saw this today and definitely enjoyed it.  Nice to see a movie set in the star wars universe that didn't need to blow up a death star or make heavy use of existing characters.  Maybe there's hope after all.

Episode 4 crawl first couple paragraphs.
It is a period of civil war.
Rebel spaceships, striking
from a hidden base, have won
their first victory against
the evil Galactic Empire.

During the battle, Rebel
spies managed to steal secret
plans to the Empire's
ultimate weapon, the DEATH
STAR, an armored space
station with enough power
to destroy an entire planet.

Rogue 1 is basically what happened in those first couple paragraphs.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: December 20, 2016, 10:28:25 AM

And 'Bothans' has never been defined. For all you know it is a colloquial term meaning 'misfit gang of inexplicably photogenic rogues'.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: December 20, 2016, 11:01:29 AM

Episode 4 crawl first couple paragraphs.
It is a period of civil war.
Rebel spaceships, striking
from a hidden base, have won
their first victory against
the evil Galactic Empire.

During the battle, Rebel
spies managed to steal secret
plans to the Empire's
ultimate weapon, the DEATH
STAR, an armored space
station with enough power
to destroy an entire planet.

Rogue 1 is basically what happened in those first couple paragraphs.

Can't remember where I read the story but I guess an old ILM guy wrote up a few paragraph treatment on that scroll, emailed it off to Kathleen Kennedy and that's how Rogue One was born. Kinda cool.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: December 20, 2016, 11:50:55 AM

And 'Bothans' has never been defined. For all you know it is a colloquial term meaning 'misfit gang of inexplicably photogenic rogues'.

As always with the Star Wars franchise, that depends on what you consider canon. Like everything else, they were certainly defined to hell and back before the extended universe cleansing. Even afterwards, they're still in modern Star Wars FFG games, and at least one supposedly "canon" novel based around TFA. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bothan

I really wish I could purge my head of this crap and free up those neurons, but sadly I am still in some ways a creature of my generation.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: December 20, 2016, 12:46:50 PM

Disney should make a film about stealing the 2nd Deathstar plans where a whole shitload of Bothans are killed in a hilarious accident that is incidental to the plans being delivered. I would support this 100% 

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: December 20, 2016, 12:49:09 PM

I don't have anything to say, other than the family and I are hoping this is enjoyable when we see it in a week.

Also, I wanted to post this image because of all the Bothans talk, even though most of you have probably already seen it.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Rogue One  
Jump to: