Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:45:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Rogue One 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rogue One  (Read 96554 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #35 on: April 08, 2016, 06:29:58 AM

Pity Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors got retconned out, though some of the characters look to be acceptable replacements.

A lot of Star Wars fans seem to believe that the main character in this is inspired by Jan Ors. Her name is even really close: Jyn Erso. Similar to how Ben Solo/ Kylo Ren is totally a combination of Luke and Mara Jade's kid (Ben Skywalker) and Anakin Solo.

If this is how they're going to reuse the Legends stuff I'm a-ok with it. As soon as you DO have a character named Kyle Katarn or Jan Ors you'll have vocal fanboys declaring that "this better mean that <terrible idea> is also part of the lore!" There's no need to pull the actual character names and all the baggage they'll have into the world.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: April 08, 2016, 08:29:37 AM

I'm hoping for a character called Kyle Thrawn.  He will be a tactically brilliant Jedi who also really fucking gets art.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: April 08, 2016, 05:50:01 PM

And blue.

Wash does not seem at all like Han Solo to me.

Cocky quippy pilot of a somewhat run down smuggler spaceship?  Yeah no similarities whatsoever.   awesome, for real  Although I'll grant that Wash is a very dorky version of the trope whereas Han is more suave.

Oh come on. Nathan Fillion was Han Solo. He could pilot, but more importantly he was the antiestablishment leader smuggler pirate. Wash doesn't really have a close analogy. Maybe Nien Nunb, but in canon we kinda don't know anything about him.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: April 08, 2016, 07:02:41 PM

I think Wash could be more like Wedge or in the new movie Poe Dameron.  However Mal definitely isn't the Pilot that Han was. 
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: April 08, 2016, 07:03:45 PM

Right, but that's what I was thinking too--Han Solo is not the dude who pilots for someone else, whatever else he is.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #40 on: April 08, 2016, 07:48:22 PM

Chewie is actually the pilot.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: April 08, 2016, 07:53:12 PM

Chewie is definitely the copilot.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #42 on: April 08, 2016, 10:13:14 PM

Naw, Chewie was the pilot.  He just was just humoring Han and let Han think what he wanted.  But Chewie was in control.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 09, 2016, 12:59:58 AM

Chewie doesn't sit in the correct seat to be pilot. I have never met a pilot who would be willing to sit on the right unless acting as copilot. Not even for a life debt.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: April 09, 2016, 02:10:44 AM

Fleeing the Death Star. Who's flying, who's shooting. Boom. Lawyered.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: April 09, 2016, 02:31:24 AM

Fleeing the Death Star. Who's flying, who's shooting. Boom. Lawyered.

Straight from starwars.com:

CHEWBACCA

A legendary Wookiee warrior and Han Solo’s co-pilot aboard the Millennium Falcon, Chewbacca was part of a core group of Rebels who restored freedom to the galaxy.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: April 09, 2016, 02:33:30 AM

Pfft., fuck those nerds. It's all on the screen, yo.

-H.L. Mencken
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: April 09, 2016, 07:34:01 AM

What the hell have you done?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: April 09, 2016, 10:27:17 AM

You also have to remember they are English... What side do English drivers sit on?

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #49 on: April 09, 2016, 11:36:44 AM

Is this possibly the story of how the rebels got the plans to the original Deathstar?

I have never played WoW.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: April 09, 2016, 11:45:05 AM

Is this possibly the story of how the rebels got the plans to the original Deathstar?

That is exactly what this is about. 
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: April 09, 2016, 12:59:45 PM

You also have to remember they are English... What side do English drivers sit on?

Doesn't matter, pilot in command is the same all over the world, whether you drive cars the left side or the wrong side of the road.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: April 09, 2016, 01:57:51 PM

Doesn't matter, pilot in command is the same all over the world, whether you drive cars the left side or the wrong side of the road.

Obviously relevant in another galaxy.  Ohhhhh, I see.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #53 on: April 09, 2016, 03:38:11 PM

The shadowy darthy looking guy is going to be the Emperor's new apprentice Snoke before Darth Vader fucks him up when the Emperor tells him to kill Vader and take his place.

Also, creepy as fuck Mark Hamill it the little interview thing at the end. This sums it up perfectly.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #54 on: April 09, 2016, 06:47:21 PM

Oh, Hamill is brilliant there. Watch that follow-up video that's linked from the trailer.

Mark's a funny motherfucker.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: April 10, 2016, 05:00:26 AM

He tweeted that he promises that he also doesn't have any dialogue in Rogue One.
 Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: April 10, 2016, 06:14:59 AM

I hope the rebels have some tanks to counter those AT-ATs

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: April 10, 2016, 06:39:50 AM

They don't need them.  They have already figured out how to counter AT-ATs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rmprF6e0RA

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #58 on: April 10, 2016, 10:38:16 AM

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: April 10, 2016, 11:45:51 AM

Might as well post the original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC0keDGobck

-H.L. Mencken
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: April 10, 2016, 02:19:51 PM

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #61 on: April 10, 2016, 03:34:07 PM

So cute and genuinely funny :)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: April 10, 2016, 04:02:51 PM

Ok, now recreate this one:

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #63 on: May 17, 2016, 01:36:43 AM

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #64 on: May 17, 2016, 05:24:19 AM

My bet's on the little furry guy being a Bothan.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: June 01, 2016, 01:46:44 AM

Reshoot time! Sounds like test audiences didn't like the movie.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/more-details-have-been-revealed-about-those-rogue-one-r-1779744810

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: June 01, 2016, 02:23:08 AM

So, does Manny Bothans die? He's gonna be my favourite character.

Hic sunt dracones.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: June 01, 2016, 05:16:47 AM

I hope they don't try to make it completely tonally like the main movies. I'm ok if it's a bit more serious/war-movie like.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: June 01, 2016, 05:29:49 AM

At it's core, Rogue One still fits the action genre and you just can't have a super grimdark action movie or it'll feel like a slog just to watch.  I mean they could definitely go overboard and lighten the tone too much but I'm cautiously optimistic that they are just trying to avoid Snyderizing star wars.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #69 on: June 01, 2016, 05:43:23 AM

That and it's Disney so they're likely aiming for PG/ soft PG-13. The darkest movie has been Revenge of the Sith, and nothing is going to be darker than that with the slaughter of first graders and the onscreen murder of a 15/ 16 year-old.

The Vader scene was described as "very dark and brutal" more befitting a hard PG-13 into R movie. No way that was going to fly.

That said, yeah, there's reshoots. No big surprise, as has been pointed out with other movies they reshoot/ re-edit almost up until the day of release now. Think of it as Day-0 patches for games. Digital distribution has altered workflows such that deadlines are closer to release dates now. Humanity generally works to deadlines, we're short-sighted that way. why so serious?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Rogue One  
Jump to: