Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:26:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Rogue One 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rogue One  (Read 97619 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #105 on: August 22, 2016, 08:28:58 AM

Could we just link to youtube and not mashable?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5qguZw3RzY

Ohhhhh, I see.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #106 on: September 16, 2016, 06:04:19 AM

Desplat is out as composer, Giaachino is in after the reshoots.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-rogue-one-replaces-929387

Not sure how I feel about this. Worrisome that such a big change happens so late in the game. Scores take about two months to compose, so this is true crunch time.

That said I don't really recall Desplat doing anything truly iconic. Could be that's because I haven't seen the majority of the films he's scored. Could be that he's a background composer and you need a different personality for what they're trying to produce. Giacchino has done enough action/ fantasy work that it's a good choice, but it could also indicate a huge shift in the film. From gritty to more lighthearted action, which would be a mistake.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: September 17, 2016, 07:34:50 AM

They probably used the new composer's music when editing, told the old guy to  "make it sound like that", and ended up just using the same guy.

Expect completely forgettable music if that is the case. Ie- try and think of a single piece of music from any DC movie.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: September 17, 2016, 08:04:53 AM

What Comstar is talking about. (In general, not just Star Wars)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vfqkvwW2fs

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: September 17, 2016, 11:02:14 AM

Yea. Saw that the other day and it makes some really good points. Tech is very useful. But it lets people with limited imaginations get what they think they want only through copying something they liked previously. This piece could be rewritten to describe consumer electronics, video games, TV shows, etc.

I will say the music from Thor 1 stuck with me (the tranformation phase at the end), as did that Captain America 1 track they showed too in this video.

But yea other than that, I would hope that Disney's expertise in making memorable songs may start to integrate with the Marvel studio stuff soon.

And on Star Wars, it would be nice to hear more than just variations of the main theme and imperial march. I thought the Clone Wars more militarized main theme was a good derivation. But there needs to be more than just two quintessential Star Wars songs (there's a bunch of others like cantina band, the love music, and the original Ewok celebration, but those were all single-movie tracks, not ones that appeared in all of them).
Mac
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: September 17, 2016, 11:39:55 AM

They're just using the old themes to trigger the Star Wars in your brain. The rest can be utterly forgettable, no one will care so why spend any money on it.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: September 18, 2016, 07:53:04 AM

I listen A LOT to soundtracks and basically I feel like Zimmer and Djawadi are the only ones who write kind of memorable soundtracks now. The Marvel movies are a great case of this--they have had almost universally bland, functional soundtracks that you struggle to remember any part of later on. Two Steps From Hell's work is more memorable without being in any actual movie than the vast majority of scores for action, SF, superhero, etc. films. I don't know if that's just being cheap or if strong scores are just that hard to come by now.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #112 on: September 18, 2016, 11:05:26 PM

I dunno. I'm a big fan of Giacchino.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: September 19, 2016, 02:54:07 AM

There is talk of Williams bowing out/passing the torch to Giacchino for ep8-9 so if that's the case they may have just decided to not have a third composer for this one movie.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: September 19, 2016, 12:16:56 PM

Yea. Saw that the other day and it makes some really good points. Tech is very useful. But it lets people with limited imaginations get what they think they want only through copying something they liked previously. This piece could be rewritten to describe consumer electronics, video games, TV shows, etc.

I will say the music from Thor 1 stuck with me (the tranformation phase at the end), as did that Captain America 1 track they showed too in this video.

But yea other than that, I would hope that Disney's expertise in making memorable songs may start to integrate with the Marvel studio stuff soon.

And on Star Wars, it would be nice to hear more than just variations of the main theme and imperial march. I thought the Clone Wars more militarized main theme was a good derivation. But there needs to be more than just two quintessential Star Wars songs (there's a bunch of others like cantina band, the love music, and the original Ewok celebration, but those were all single-movie tracks, not ones that appeared in all of them).

How could you forget Duel of the Fates!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #115 on: September 19, 2016, 03:22:30 PM

Rey's Theme has some great memorable moments, as well.

Most of Star Wars does, but the reason you keep hearing the same tunes is because Williams conceived of it as a Peter and the Wolf type of piece. Each character has their own theme and each type of action. That's going to limit the iconic pieces, because you're going to hear the main character theme, (Bwah bwah, baaa, ba da daaa da) over and over and over.

Williams stuck with this even into in The Force Awakens. People criticize it as "memberberries" but it was very much intentional. Han and Leia recall both Leia's theme from EP IV, Han and the Princess from EP V. Because that's the intent. The chracters are on screen so you get Leia's flute and Han's French Horn doing the same riff as when Han's frozen. That's THEIR theme.

I think this is part of the reason people complain about modern soundtracks not being memorable. There's no repetition of themes. Each scene nowadays must have its own unique music, you never hear the same thing twice. As a result you're not going to remember it unless you've watched the movie or one scene several times.

Badelt's Pirates of the Caribbean is one of the last soundtracks I can recall coming up with a distinct theme for a character. Ironically it became Jack's theme but was originally titled "Will and Elizabeth." (The end theme, "He's a Pirate" was referring to Will, not Jack.) Jack's original theme was playing when his boat came into the harbor and sank.

Ed: Oh! Also, something I realized this weekend as I dropped in the movies for another watch. Modern films do NOT let the music become a character. The Lord of the Rings did to an extent, but everything has to be so frenzied, bombastic and busy that you can't even hear the music 90% of the time.

Sit down and watch 20-30 minutes in the middle of ANH or Empire in the next week. The movies all breathe quite often and music fills that space, adding its own character to the story. There's spaces where characters don't talk for a good 30s to a minute. Now find that same time in The Avengers or any of the Marvel movies. You can't.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 03:27:34 PM by Merusk »

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: October 13, 2016, 05:24:50 AM

New trailer.

Maybe slightly spoilery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC9abcLLQpI
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #117 on: October 13, 2016, 05:46:02 AM

I like the contemptuous look of the officer who is played by Malcom's dad.

And the slight overacting by (probably) Tarkin was nice as well.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 05:54:30 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: October 13, 2016, 08:11:01 AM

I think the dude in the white suit is the Big Bad of the movie--Director Orson Krennic, basically the supervisor of the Death Star construction project.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #119 on: October 13, 2016, 09:25:19 AM

Ahh. I see. Thank you.

I thught we are dealing with two different persons in the trailer, but looking at in zoomed in it seems you are right:

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #120 on: October 13, 2016, 03:54:44 PM

I think the dude in the white suit is the Big Bad of the movie--Director Orson Krennic, basically the supervisor of the Death Star construction project.

You're correct on both counts.

Info about Krennic says he's wary of Palpatine and Vader while also trying to figure out what's up with their silly Religion. Which probably explains, in part, the toppled Jedi statue in the trailer and why Krennic is located on that particular planet while overseeing the Death Star.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: October 14, 2016, 04:35:03 AM

Enjoyed that trailer less because dialog choices were so very bad.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Mac
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: October 22, 2016, 04:57:35 AM

In other Star Wars news: they are casting Donald Glover as Lando in the new Han Solo movie.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: December 13, 2016, 01:47:44 PM

Reviews broadly say "Pretty good, probably a bit better than tFA, at least has a new story, even if an unnecessarily preachy and not as interesting as it could be story. Good cast mediocre script. Film is darker than other star wars offerings, but sadly this has mostly been achieved by the lighting director, not the screenwriter. Also things go pew pew and there are xwings."
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 04:33:03 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #124 on: December 13, 2016, 07:31:42 PM

Good enough then.  Roger!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #125 on: December 13, 2016, 07:36:26 PM

So basically what anyone who doesn't hate Star Wars and has half a brain should expect? OK THEN.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: December 14, 2016, 04:30:53 AM

The reviewer in the New Yorker has apparently gone insane, judging from his strongly negative review of Rogue One: "There’s none of the Shakespearean space politics, enticingly florid dialogue, or experiential thrills of the best of George Lucas’s “Star Wars” entries (“Attack of the Clones” and “Revenge of the Sith”)."
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: December 14, 2016, 06:23:04 AM

Was it in green type?  swamp poop

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #128 on: December 14, 2016, 06:29:02 AM

Did you read the full review?  I did, and my only explanation for it is that he had a seizure and scrawled off the review in a fugue state.

Here is another quote:

The director of “Rogue One,” Gareth Edwards, has stepped into a mythopoetic stew so half-baked and overcooked, a morass of pre-instantly overanalyzed implications of such shuddering impact to the series’ fundamentalists, that he lumbers through, seemingly stunned or constrained or cautious to the vanishing point of passivity, and lets neither the characters nor the formidable cast of actors nor even the special effects, of which he has previously proved himself to be a master, come anywhere close to life.

And another...

“Rogue One” isn’t so much a movie as a feature-length promotional film for itself; it’s a movie that is still waiting to be made.

Whaaaaaaaaaat

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: December 14, 2016, 06:30:36 AM

Sounds like someone with a serious axe to grind.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #130 on: December 14, 2016, 08:03:55 AM

The dude cited ATOC and ROTS as the best of the series. He's clearly unqualified to WATCH movies, much less review them.

ed: Although he's obviously learned the modern-media lesson: The accuracy of what you write matters less than the clicks it generates. A good review in the NY would have generated no clicks. This? This will generate clicks for weeks and all the juicy ad $ that goes with it. Fuck that guy I'm not reading the link but I will find a way to plagiarize the hell out of it and post it elsewhere to reduce his clickthroughs.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 08:06:39 AM by Merusk »

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: December 14, 2016, 08:28:09 AM

It's actually this guy's modus operandi. The New Yorker had a guy reviewing literature for a while who was like that too--a big driver of clicks because he said stuff that was so wildly out there that it made no sense to anyone, but was consciously intended to seem that way to drive traffic, or so most people judged.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #132 on: December 14, 2016, 08:47:53 AM

I read excerpts of that review on Deadspin yesterday. I mean, even if I hadn't written him off as a pretentious hipster douche after using the word mythopoetic (the fuck does that even mean and who the fuck would use a word like that to describe a PEW PEW LASERS! movie?), when he claims Revenge and Attack are the best of the series, just fuck that guy. Those movies had no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #133 on: December 14, 2016, 12:03:19 PM

The New Yorker is not relevant (anymore).  Star Wars is relevant.  Staff writers need to write, thus controversy. 
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #134 on: December 14, 2016, 03:42:21 PM

Just got back from seeing this at the pre-premiere (which is apparently a thing here in Slovakia).

I liked it a lot. I'd probably rate it as the best SW film - including Empire Strikes Back. Huge amounts of fan service but that's actually completely understandable given the plot and the position of the movie in the main series timeline.

It is very dark compared to all of the other Star Wars movies, I read somewhere that it's a war movie set in the Star Wars universe, and that pretty much sums it up. It's still Star Wars so there's no gratuitous gore but it's emotionally very bleak. Younger viewers who are expecting something more like TFA are going to be fairly heavily affected by it I think. I was honestly surprised at the ending, it must have been hard to pitch that to Disney execs.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: December 14, 2016, 04:38:07 PM

“Rogue One” isn’t so much a movie as a feature-length promotional film for itself; it’s a movie that is still waiting to be made.

Whaaaaaaaaaat

Sure, that happens all the time. You go to the movies, and there are some short trailers for upcoming films, and then there's a 2-hour trailer that's about the movie you went to see.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: December 15, 2016, 05:04:13 AM

TESB had a better tone and balance. This movie is good, but is rough and you can see and feel the edges where Disney pounded into the shape they wanted, which may or may not have better than the original vision.

Still pretty damm good though.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: December 15, 2016, 05:35:26 AM

Just got back from seeing this at the pre-premiere (which is apparently a thing here in Slovakia).

I liked it a lot. I'd probably rate it as the best SW film - including Empire Strikes Back. Huge amounts of fan service but that's actually completely understandable given the plot and the position of the movie in the main series timeline.

It is very dark compared to all of the other Star Wars movies, I read somewhere that it's a war movie set in the Star Wars universe, and that pretty much sums it up. It's still Star Wars so there's no gratuitous gore but it's emotionally very bleak. Younger viewers who are expecting something more like TFA are going to be fairly heavily affected by it I think. I was honestly surprised at the ending, it must have been hard to pitch that to Disney execs.

Aren't we at the point that if it's a Star Wars movie it's automatically fan service?
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #138 on: December 15, 2016, 06:44:13 AM

Well yes, but as the movie is basically Episode 3.999, the fan service is baked into the plot rather than being a stupid diversion (c.f. C3PO and R2D2 in the prequels).

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: December 15, 2016, 07:37:06 AM

The reviewer in the New Yorker has apparently gone insane, judging from his strongly negative review of Rogue One: "There’s none of the Shakespearean space politics, enticingly florid dialogue, or experiential thrills of the best of George Lucas’s “Star Wars” entries (“Attack of the Clones” and “Revenge of the Sith”)."

I have no idea if I'll enjoy it or not but that review seriously seems like the critic is trolling Star Wars fans, if not the public at large.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Rogue One  
Jump to: