Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:33:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Index/Oculus/Vive/PSVR 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Index/Oculus/Vive/PSVR  (Read 213713 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #350 on: April 07, 2018, 07:54:55 AM

Okay, got it running the way I want it (waaaaaaay less fiddly than FO4 VR).  As much as I love FO4...

This is basically Robot Jesus.  I don’t know else to say.  I envy anyone who has never played Skrim and gets to experience it like this for the first time.  It is buttery smooth and looks surprisingly crisp.

I am playing Destruction in the early going.  Man oh man. So amazing. It never occured to me that you would be able aim and cast with each hand totally independently. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #351 on: April 08, 2018, 07:16:46 PM

I playing the same, mostly destruction with a little conjuration thown in. And the bow is satisfying so I toss that in for kicks now and then, mostly super long distance sniping. Yeah the both hands independently is awesome, a whirling flaming electrical tornado of death I am. I played 6 hours today alone, not counting breaks, which is a lot of VR in a day for me.

So when you say you got it the way you want, you mean mods? It's been running so well I've been afraid to mess with mods yet. The only thing I've done so far is add the dll for the better 3d headphone sound.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #352 on: April 08, 2018, 10:01:45 PM

Mostly what I meant is finding the sweet spot with the supersampling, the disabling of TAA and Dynamic resolution and so on.  Mostly it was an issue because there is a bug when disabling the TAA (and maybe with the DR) that causes menus to disappear, etc., so I had to figure out how to fix that.  Which, by the way, I highly recommend you do if your machine has the chops...kill the TAA and DR, turn SS up as much as you can manage, looks waaaaay better especially in the distance.  The fix is that you need to make sure you leave on the FOV comfort fix for turning, for some reason that fixes the TAA bug.

I did put mods on yesterday.  I don't have a full listing here, but things like the vivid weather, sounds, immersive this and that, some better textures, and one of the popular character mods that add variation on the NPCs (and, bless them, nudity).  All is well with the mods, only thing I am unsure of is an improved flora and fauna mod...makes things look nice, but almost too colorful and introducing a bit of choppiness.  On balance, I would say the mods are working just fine.  Vortex seems to be the way to go.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: April 09, 2018, 10:36:10 AM

I'm lucky as somehow I didn't encounter that menu bug and I did disable TAA and DR, also disabled the FOV comfort thing, maybe it's a Vive thing? I'm on Rift and forget which you have. I have a beefy machine and maxed out just about everything, SS left at default in game and forced 1.0 in SteamVR, as I prefer to use Oculus Tray Tool to futz with settings like that.

I think most of my hesitation in modding is that I had modded the hell out of Fallout 4 VR, and changed loads of ini settings, then they pushed a patch that changed the ini that stores a lot of those tweaks and broke it all. I never felt like spending another weekend to reapply everything so haven't returned to it yet. Nervous to end up in a similar situation with Skyrim. But then it's a different animal in that it actually supports Rift, where Fallout doesn't. Something to make the nights darker would be cool but that's my only gripe, and it barely bugs me. I'm sure I'll toss some mods in at some point I'm just going to give everyone else more time to flesh them out as I'd rather play than tweak at this point.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #354 on: April 10, 2018, 08:43:11 AM

I'm running about 30 cosmetic mods right now. Still tweaking settings for the perfect balance on graphics, but damn did installing improved textures make a difference.

You are dead on though Cyrexx, this is the game that has finally justified buying the Rift for me. The archery is great - the thrill of doing a sudden 180 while drawing, to pull of a an arrow to the head of the wolf that snuck up on me in mid leap. Yeah, its awesome. I've only had it for a few days, and Skyrim is already my most played Rift game.

The quality of this release really shows what a total embarrassment Fallout VR was.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #355 on: April 10, 2018, 10:34:20 PM

I am not doing any archery at the moment, because I seem to suffer from the "archery bug" that hits some people.  I am not sure if it is really a bug, but it is a mis-alignment of where the bow is in reference to the aiming point.  The nocking of the arrow is a bit off as well.  But oh well, until they figure out how to adjust that, I am perfectly happy using one handed and Destruction.  So satisfying.

What improved textures mod are you using?

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #356 on: April 11, 2018, 07:50:37 AM

Yeah, I've been putting up with the fact that my hands are too low on both the bow and arrow. Stopped noticing after a while.

Been using the Skyrim 2017 textures, and the WICO overhaul for the NPCs.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #357 on: May 06, 2018, 07:07:13 AM

Beat Saber.  Lightsaber rhytmn game.  Immensely satisfying, scratches so many itches. Quite a workout.  Hold sabers reverse grip for increased awesomeness.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #358 on: June 25, 2018, 01:11:07 PM

Picked up Beat Saber yesterday. Yeah, that's addictive as hell and a great workout. Blows Rockband VR out of the water, because it actually uses the VR environment as part of the game, instead of window dressing.

Also been fiddling with FO4 VR again, now that they patched in proper touch control schemes. Its amazing how many little details I notice in VR that I totally ignored in my 15 some odd vanilla play-throughs.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #359 on: June 25, 2018, 03:33:16 PM

Fuck Rockband anyway, but I would love a nice VR Rocksmith, if they used the original Rocksmith-style venues instead of the new abstracted garbage.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: June 25, 2018, 11:02:08 PM

Picked up Beat Saber yesterday. Yeah, that's addictive as hell and a great workout. Blows Rockband VR out of the water, because it actually uses the VR environment as part of the game, instead of window dressing.

Also been fiddling with FO4 VR again, now that they patched in proper touch control schemes. Its amazing how many little details I notice in VR that I totally ignored in my 15 some odd vanilla play-throughs.

You probably know this already, but get the mod installed. Custom songs galore. Oh, and Kyle Ren sabers and whatnot.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #361 on: June 26, 2018, 08:36:06 AM

This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV1sw4lfwFw might have finally sold me on a VR set.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: June 26, 2018, 09:11:16 AM

This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV1sw4lfwFw might have finally sold me on a VR set.

Oh. My. God.

That just looks stupidly fun. As in all afternoon don't stop until you drop fun.

And thanks VR makers for coming up with something that will make me look more goofily insane than even Rockband.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #363 on: June 26, 2018, 01:02:04 PM

Just lock the door, no one will see you.

- Viin
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #364 on: June 26, 2018, 09:36:50 PM

It's super fun.  The sound feed back you get when hit a block together with the sabers is just fantastic.
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: July 05, 2018, 09:49:15 AM

Haven't picked up Beat Saber yet but will eventually. Got back into iRacing and Elite Dangerous with some Skyrim VR thrown in the mix when I feel like standing up to play. Also picked up Moss, gave it about an hour but I've been sick in between travel so put this aside for another weekend when I'm in the mood. It's a fun and cute little game.

Had to extend a business trip 2 weeks ago and was bored so I picked up an Oculus Go, pretty good device for what it is. Mostly playing Vendetta Online, Pinball FX2 and watching Netflix. I'm impressed with this thing. I got over my fear of looking too nerdy and ended up playing a whole lot of pinball on my long flight back from SFO. Bonus my wife didn't disown me after sitting next me on that flight! This is my new travel entertainment device of choice for sure.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: July 10, 2018, 07:24:32 PM

We got a Vive.

I...it's really interesting. It is so far not pulling me to it like an irresistable force, but neither does it seem like a one-day wonder.

I found movement in Skyrim and Fallout disappointing, though. Direct movement is the first thing ever in a computer game to make me feel serious nausea, but the teleport is also unsatisfying. Among other things, it feels like it makes it very very hard to fall. In a way movement becomes less kinetic and felt which is an odd consequence of full VR. But combat is holy shit visceral.

The movement problem feels to me like it's just a technological iteration of an unsolved problem that has cropped up with Kinect etc.: there is no way to get rid of a control scheme that is not physical and visceral in games. Even if you were in a full haptic suit along with your Vive, the problem would still be there--I'd still have to master walking/running in place, or I'd have to be in a huge 40 X 40 room with soft walls (hello, Holodeck). Somewhere in even the best implementation of VR, you're going to have to deal with a different uncanny valley, which is that most of us are not buff Tamriel warriors or canny postapocalyptic snipers wandering through the ruins of Boston. An ordinary movement even in a fully haptic VR is still going to have to magnify or be different than the actual movement I make--which means every movement I make has to be memorized as a control-scheme equivalent of something I want to see happen in the VR world. So I feel like the next generation of games made specifically for VR have to have smart solutions to this problem that aren't just "wait for better tech".

In some ways the best part of the experience so far has been the Google drawing program. That feels potentially revolutionary as a creative interface.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: July 11, 2018, 08:32:42 AM

Movement in games is about 100% of why I'm not onboard yet.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: July 11, 2018, 10:29:04 PM

Like it or not, the direct or "sliding" movement is the answer.  The only real problem with it is the nausea it causes, in all other ways it is vastly superior.  The solution is to essentially either work up your tolerance to it (which is 100% possible for most people), or simply admit that you are probably too old to do so and that VR gaming will only have a limited appeal for you.  I had real problems in the early days, where playing certain things for more than 10 minutes would have me feeling horrible for hours.  Slowly but surely, those issues began to disappear.  I think the Doom 3 BFG mod helped a lot, because there was a good FPS game set in tight corridors running at a perfect framerate, and it was enough fun that I was willing to work through it.

Nobody our age can just jump into a full movement FPS like Skyrim (and even less so with FO4 due to its performance issues).  You have to get your VR legs first, and it may take months.  Once you do, it is totally worth it and totally amazing.  You will not want for another type of movement at that point.  Scaling High Hrothgar in full sliding VR is in incomparable experience, save perhaps for going off trail on the way back down.  Try jumping off one of those little cliffs and report back to me that it wasn't kinetic =)

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #369 on: July 12, 2018, 07:32:26 AM

For movement in Skyrim and Fallout, check out Natural Locomotion. It sounds hokey, but really works quite well. Basically, swinging your arms back and forth makes you walk forward. It gives smooth motion a more natural feel.

Note also, just about everyone is bothered by smooth motion at first. Most people tend to get their sea legs after a while.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #370 on: July 12, 2018, 08:11:37 AM

I went through the acclimatization period with 3D with nvidia's 3D Vision, so I'm aware of the need for that. Given my experience there, I'd love to see something like Tomb Raider in VR.

I'm just waiting for the tech behind it to shake out and mature a bit. Ditto with the headsets.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #371 on: July 12, 2018, 08:55:07 AM

I'm with ya on the headsets. They need to keep dropping in weight for a while for me to be comfortable. And I must have a really sweaty nose, because every enclosed headset I've ever tried fogs up fast and stays that way.

Come to think of it I always had the problem snorkeling too -- I'm constantly having to clear my mask when other people just seem to be fine after a few minutes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: July 12, 2018, 11:24:16 AM

Interesting point, I'm the same way. For construction projects, I had to go to a full respirator mask whether I need it or not so I don't fog up my safety glasses.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #373 on: July 13, 2018, 01:21:04 AM

I used to have the same problem with fogging up the Vive lenses all the time, until I found a simple and in hindsight obvious solution....turn the thing on, and let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes.  The screen will heat itself up enough, and presto, no fogging.  I literally never have this problem any more, even during more intense sessions.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #374 on: July 13, 2018, 06:16:02 AM

We put on headbands, and that helps too.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #375 on: July 13, 2018, 07:19:47 AM

Halo branded headbands are good if you're headbandless at the moment. I have a few that I use around the yard and garage.
jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #376 on: December 07, 2018, 08:47:14 AM

Now that a fully working SkyUI is finally available for Skyrim VR and also a lot more compatibility and QoL patches have appeared, I played the modding game again this week and managed to get a working setup that I'm very happy with. Played for 4-5 hours again from the beginning, but I noticed that while it's really awesome, it's also a bit overwhelming in a way that I need to take breaks every 1.5-2 hours.

With that in mind I tried Flatrim again to compare, copied the same mod setup (easy with Vortex) and added ENB. It turns out after having played VR, Flatrim now feels completely meh and all interest was lost in just half an hour. So VR version it will be from now on, maybe this time I'll eventually even finish the main story.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: December 09, 2018, 11:34:19 PM

Now that a fully working SkyUI is finally available for Skyrim VR and also a lot more compatibility and QoL patches have appeared, I played the modding game again this week and managed to get a working setup that I'm very happy with. Played for 4-5 hours again from the beginning, but I noticed that while it's really awesome, it's also a bit overwhelming in a way that I need to take breaks every 1.5-2 hours.

With that in mind I tried Flatrim again to compare, copied the same mod setup (easy with Vortex) and added ENB. It turns out after having played VR, Flatrim now feels completely meh and all interest was lost in just half an hour. So VR version it will be from now on, maybe this time I'll eventually even finish the main story.

Haha, Flatrim.  Curious about what mods you are referring to that might be new?  I hear you though, you just can't go back to playing these things in pancake mode once you have done it in VR. 

On a related note, I dived back into FO4VR over the weekend.  I always seem to have to fiddle with the graphics settings, but I found a good sweetspot where performance and visuals were both good.  Anyway, I basically never use the built in headphones, and instead normally rely on my 5.1 surround setup to do the job.  Now that I live on my own, I can actually crank it up to, shall we say, significant levels of immersion.  I have mentioned before that I have the lightsabers mod for FO4 which is goddamned awesome in VR.  The combination of a very loud sound system while carrying around and fighting with an extremely convincing Sith red lightsaber in a virtual apocalyptic landscape in VR and murdering ghouls is now the absolute pinnacle of any gaming experience I have ever had.  Just oh my fucking christ.

This is the kind of thing that makes me look at the cost of a Vive Pro and dropping 3500 USD on a new computer and thinking to myself "you know, that's probably totally worth it!"

I live in a condo-like place, and I can only imagine what my neighbors are thinking, assuming any sound gets through the wall.  She's thinking "fuck that sound is annoying".  He must be thinking "fuck that sounds like lightsabers I wanna play!".

jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #378 on: December 11, 2018, 12:50:39 PM

Curious about what mods you are referring to that might be new?

The biggest change is the fully working SkyUI, a lot of older SSE mods depend on that and are now usable in VR. Also there's a new VR compatible physics mod (CBPC). Then the small stuff, VR compatibility patches for more older mods and VR mods like visual noise reduction, health bar / HUD fixes etc.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: January 07, 2019, 06:41:48 AM

Speaking of mods, for both FO4VR and SkyrimVR:  Get the "No Stagger" mods, and then find the fMeleeCooldownMultiplier in you .ini files (or Bilago's tool) and lower it to 0.2

There are a couple others, but doing these two things make the melee exponentially more awesome.  You can now be a literal whirlwind of death, with is insanely fun.  Better with lightsabers, but was still cool as shit with just regular swords as well.  You'll end up cranking up the difficulty a lot as well.

I thought SkyUI was still too buggy for VR?

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #380 on: January 07, 2019, 06:58:24 AM

In FO4VR last night, walking through Boston when I turned to see a Mutie Suicider staring at me from about 50 feet away. I panicked and hit VATS (I never use it in VR) and snapped a shot off at his arm, blowing the nuke.

Watching a nuke detonate in slow-mo from what I figure was maybe five feet outside of the blast radius was an interesting experience. Could literally see the flames rolling out towards me along with a spreading debris cloud. Would recommend.

jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #381 on: January 09, 2019, 01:22:24 PM

I thought SkyUI was still too buggy for VR?

The original SkyUI was, and from what I gather the SkyUI team wasn't interested in fixing it for VR, but they released the source code so someone else could work on it. And someone else did, so we now have SkyUI-vr:

https://github.com/Odie/skyui-vr/releases
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #382 on: January 16, 2019, 12:36:39 AM

I have found something of a "sweetspot" with my current mods in Skyrim and am on a relatively new playthrough.  Here's the gist:

- I don't really consider it mandatory in VR, but I am doing the HD texture mod, just landscapes.
- Find a good guide for how to adjust the .ini mods to get all the visuals and LODs like they should (reference:  The Lightweight Lazy List on reddit, pretty good guide for all kinds of stuff, though not all the mods seem to play together as advertised.  I would recommend doing ALL of the .ini tweaks in this guide, they got it spot on)
- Crank up the supersampling in Steam VR to at least 1.8.
- Rich merchants, because fuck not being able to sell stuff.
- As mentioned earlier, fix the melee cooldown.  It is game changing.
- Get the No Stagger mod.  The melee cooldown is probably more important, but in combination these two things are GREAT.
- Darker Nights and Darker Interiors (or whatever they call that last one).  You don't necessarily have to pick the darkest setting, but it is a great improvement.  I actually often sleep until dark, just because the game is much better that way.
- Magicka Sabers.  Role play some ancient Sith asshole or whatever.
- Apocalypse.  New spells galore.
- Ordinator.  More and better perks.  Needs a VR Extender mod
- Immersive Creatures.  Adds bunch of scary shit to the world.  
- Turn up the difficulty.  I think I am actually on the Master setting now, and I never really went past Adept in Flatrim mode.
- Get the "Sofia" follower mod.  She is legit awesome, hilarious, and easy on the eyes to say the least.  Give Sofia a lightsaber.

You can add much more to this, but essentially this is a decent base if you want to live out every childhood fantasy you ever had.  The enemies get more dangerous by far (you can make them moreso with the Vigor mod, but that may have been causing me conflicts so I removed it), but so do you, to put it mildly.  One knock on SkyrimVR in the early days was that the melee sucked, but this categorically eliminates that problem and turns it into the best melee in any video game that ever was, because it is now a more or less a mirror of your own physical actions.  It isn't perfect, nor can it be given the lack of total haptic feedback, but VR is all about convincing your brain that it is realistic, and lightsabers actually go a long way in addressing that issue, because you intuitively "know" that they don't work the same way as steel and iron.  The two main problems are the lack of a good blocking system (but who cares, offense is the best defense in this case), and the fact that the "shout" button is assigned to the right grip on the Vive wand.  I find myself frequently (and sometimes awesomely) triggering a shout when I don't want to because of the insane swing pacing and sheer energy I put into it.  It sorta takes shouts off the table, but there may well be a soluton out there for remapping, no idea.

It really is amazing.  And it kinda takes for granted how accurate the Vive tracking is, it really is incredible that it can manage it at all, let alone so precisely.  

Edit:  The follower's name is Sofia, not Sonia.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 11:17:46 PM by Cyrrex »

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #383 on: April 01, 2019, 04:21:34 AM

Valve has been working silently on a hew HMD, and it appears now they will be releasing it in May.  Very little is known (and next to nothing confirmed), but it is commonly believed to have a better Field of View and a significant increase in pixels over the original Vive.  If both are true and also significant increases, then this is the first true Gen 2 headset for all intents.  It may also include the famed Knuckles controllers, though it may not be simultaneous.  AND....it would be a bit strange for Valve to make this release without also releasing at least one of the 3 VR titles they have been working on.  It has never been confirmed that they are doing a version of HLVR...but they totally must be doing something big like that. 

There are a number of other HMDs releasing in the near future.  The hardware is charging ahead at full steam.  Now if they would only get more developers working on some AAA stuff, that'd be nice.

But who am I kidding.  If Valve releases something with a better FOV and higher resolution, I will totally be dumping cash into both it and at least a 2080 RTX.  Just to play Fallout and Skyrim if nothing else.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #384 on: April 14, 2019, 11:55:18 PM

Update to the above:  Information and pre-orders will be coming in early May, actual release in early June.  

Trying out a new little game called Blade & Sorcery.  It feels like a more serious attempt on something like Gorn.  Weighty, visceral melee combat and surprisingly well done.  If you have a dagger or a rapier, you can swing and stab somewhat to your heart's content, but it will have less impact on your opponent and will possibly get knocked out of your hand.  Take a broadsword and those problems will go away and you can even hack off limbs...although you will swing it more slowly.  Weapons make impact and stop in their tracks, and funnily enough, your body will adapt to that - you won't swing through on something that gets blocked or hacks into a limb (as opposed to lightsabers in Skyrim, where I will swing through with reckless abandon, which has its own appeal).

Fun stuff.  There is ranged stuff, and magic, two-handed weapons and so on, but I can't tell if there is any actual depth here.  Feels like a melee stabbing simulator.  20 bucks on steam....or one can find it through more nefarious means.  Not sure it is worth 20, but it would be a party favorite for sure.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 11:57:10 PM by Cyrrex »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Index/Oculus/Vive/PSVR  
Jump to: