Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:00:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Index/Oculus/Vive/PSVR 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Index/Oculus/Vive/PSVR  (Read 213493 times)
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #420 on: May 05, 2019, 05:43:22 PM

I'm with Sky; I want a badass headset to look around modded Minecraft in, while still playing with a kb+m. If I wanted to stand up (or run on a treadmill ACK!) and flail fake swords around, I'd have gotten into LARPing.

I actually messed around for a while with the VR version of Minecraft for the Gear with a controller. It was pretty interesting, but one thing I was not expecting was the intense claustrophobia it could induce (also note, I am not normally subject to claustrophobia -- in fact I am usually rather comforted by enclosed areas). But going down a tunnel only two blocks high by one block wide was uncomfortably "realistic."

Still, nothing that you couldn't get used to. I stopped messing with it more to do with limitations of the Gear than being tired of the game.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #421 on: May 05, 2019, 09:51:14 PM

I want to say that Minecraft in VR can already be done as a sit-down experience with KB+M, but I am not entirely positive.  You could probably just sit down with the regular controls if nothing else.  I imagine that is true for a number of games, actually.  I once had a foot stool in the play space one day where I didn't feel like standing but still had to cross the Skyrim map a few times.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #422 on: June 27, 2019, 11:04:02 AM

OMGOMGOMGOMG guys OMG.  It is coming tomorrow.  So excited.  The previews have been veeeery positive.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
schild
Administrator

Reply #423 on: June 27, 2019, 06:04:11 PM

what
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #424 on: June 27, 2019, 06:16:04 PM

His Valve Index is coming tomorrow.
schild
Administrator

Reply #425 on: June 27, 2019, 06:25:07 PM

o
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #426 on: June 27, 2019, 09:40:04 PM

Well now it's coming today.  It might even be on a truck RIGHT NOW.   It is supposed to come between 8 and 10 this morning, so I expect that means I will be waiting all goddamn day for it and it won't come at all.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #427 on: June 28, 2019, 07:12:33 AM

.....It is supposed to come between 8 and 10 this morning, so I expect that means I will be waiting all goddamn day for it and it won't come at all.

....and this is what actually happened.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #428 on: July 01, 2019, 09:48:34 AM

Okay, after the pre-mature ejaculation that was last Friday (stupid delivery company:  We’re sorry sir, but our driver did not make it out to you by 4, and he has to stop deliveries at 4.  You will get it Monday for sure!).  It is here now.  I will try to contain myself and give a measured and detailed review.  I think there are so many important factors when talking about VR that I will probably break it into a bunch of chunks as my impressions take shape.

-Setup (wiring, installation, software, etc.)
-The headset itself (comfort, etc.)
-Resolution (regular, supersampled)
-Colors and black levels
-Field of view (including IPD, zoom thingy)
-Refresh rates (they are selectable!)
-The controllers
-Tracking (and the lighthouses)
-Games and stuff
-Anything else
-Sum of all parts (conclusion?)

Feel free to throw in any questions or things you want me to look at.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #429 on: July 01, 2019, 09:59:39 AM

Part 1:  Setup!

The box was gorgeous, unboxing happened, yada yada.  Never really got why people get boners over unboxing.  That said, it was a really nice package.  Which it should be for 1300 fucking dollars or whatever.  Should include a coupon for a BJ at that price.

I know how all of this works, so setup and install was a snap.  For now, in fact, I am not using the 2.0 Lighthouses.  They may offer better range and fidelity, but due to impatience and a real reason to see why I should bother, I left the 1.0s stay up for now.  So the part that people fuss about the most over, I skipped entirely.  Beyond that.....you just plug shit in.  Uses Display Port, and a single USB 3.0.  And power, of course.  I also do not have to do any software setup, because it uses Steam VR just like the Vive.  So plug it in, turn it on, and Bob’s your uncle.

And I guess that’s the point.  Steam has already created a pretty damn nice ecosystem for VR, and this just slides right in seamlessly.  If I want to (and I probably will), I can just swap back and forth to my Vive.  Also, the controllers and lighthouses are compatible in all directions.  That’s pretty damn impressive, and no small benefit to someone like me who owns both and will probably want to continue to use both in some capacity.  At the very least, I will want to continue to use the old Vive controllers (more on that later) and maybe even the headset once in a while.

There are probably some reviews out there that go on incessantly about the painful setup.  Ignore those reviews.  Setup is an inherent part of this kind of tech.  You cannot have compelling VR without putting a bit of work into it and learning a thing or two about how it works.

Anyway, so far, so good.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #430 on: July 02, 2019, 09:50:53 AM

Part 2:  The headset

It feels lighter.  All of the materials feel lighter.  Cheaper?  Meh, not as such.  Feels more like a consumer version as opposed to the heavier, almost military version of the Vive.  It has a nice little IPD slider (pupil distance adjustment, hugely important for VR, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise) with a big range.  One knob for ‘zooming’ the lenses in and out....ostensibly for people who want to wear glasses, but the real deal here is getting the lenses as close as possible to your eyes.  This zooms close enough for the time being.  The face pad/gasket does not let it get as close as it could, but no doubt third parties are already working on thinner versions.  Speaking of face pad, the whole thing - including the plastic it sits on - pops out.  For cleaning the lenses?  Not sure, but whatever.  Also a knob in the back to cinch it up when it is on your head.  It doesn’t have much range, but that actually makes it easier to take on and off.  OTOH, it does not get small enough for a child’s head...but, they included a removable, high quality foam insert to take care of that.  Have fitted on my 7 year-old, works fine.

The cord connecting the whole thing (like I said, DP, USB 3.0 and a power connector) all in a single nice cable that goes to a splitter module.  Much nicer than the Vive.  Less annoying by a good bit, and seems more tangle resistant.

The speakers....yes, they are more like directional speakers, not really headphones.  Open backed.  They sit maybe 1.5 inches off your ears.  They are OUTSTANDING.  Miles, miles, miles better than the headphones on the Deluxe Audio Strap (which is the upgrade for Vive). This is good enough that I will stop using my 7.1 receiver for sound (may still figure out how to get the subwoofer going though).  They are loud, they are clear, the bass is pretty okay, and for once they got the directional audio working in a compelling way.  I was not buying into the hype, but these have lived up to it, and I am pretty hard to please on this point.  Super impressed.  Oh, and they bleed shockingly little, so it won’t irritate bystanders.

Last but not least, comfort.  I will just state it plainly, this is far more comfortable than the Vive with the Deluxe Audio Strap (which was considered one of the more comfortable PC headsets....the DAS, that is, no so much the Vive itself). I am not even sure exactly why.  Ergonomically just better, lighter, and somehow the headset does not actually put weight on your face, which tends to be the part that sucks.  To be fair, physical comfort is only half the equation when talking about VR comfort, but they nailed it.  It could only reasonably be more comfortable when the tech allows them to shrink the facemask to reduce the weight more.  Really, having tried this on, it is hard to understand how other producers have not figured out how to reproduce this.  Quite pleased.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 09:54:33 AM by Cyrrex »

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #431 on: July 02, 2019, 10:01:41 AM

It all sounds as good as promised so far. Looking forward to more updates.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #432 on: July 02, 2019, 12:12:05 PM

Yeah, thanks Cyrrex. Reading with interest!
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #433 on: July 02, 2019, 05:43:36 PM

I'm reading too, even if I don't have anything to contribute right now.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #434 on: July 03, 2019, 04:52:04 AM

Good to hear I am not writing to entertain just myself.

Part 3:  Resolution

We already know this is a higher resolution than the Vive and all the other generation 1 headsets.  Pimax has a version that is similar, and one even higher, but neither of those are worth talking about anyway.  Index has the same resolution now as the Vive Pro (and note it is also cheaper), but it apparently has more/better sub-pixels that make it appear even better, at least on paper.  I have never put another headset on other than my OG Vive, so I cannot make comparisons to other HMDs.

What I can say is that, in the real world the difference is obvious from the moment you put it on.  Just launching into your static “home” space and bringing up the Steam window makes it pretty clear that the clarity is significantly improved.  Even at default resolution, every game and window you open just looks better.  Even my picky, spoiled children think it looks nice and smooth.  Their chief complaint above the Vive is that it just did not look good enough.  I think it is fair to say that is no longer a problem.  Screen Door Effect is almost gone.  You can really no longer see it most of the time, but it will still show up when looking at, for example, a bright moon in an otherwise dark sky.  For the most part, this is no longer an issue.

Supersampling is a major part of VR.  Steam VR even has a slider where you can adjust the exact resolution % on the fly as a global setting (or you can set them for each application if you want).  With the Vive, I would set it up to like 180 to 200% for something efficient like Skyrim, and it would improve the visual quality at the cost of performance.  You can even add in things like ‘reprojection’ and ‘motion smoothing’ to help prevent missed frames (by interpolating using different techniques).  Something that ran terribly, like Fallout 4, I would only set it to maybe 140% or something, and would still risk dropping frames.  Dropping frames in VR is not fun.  It looks like shit and messes with your inner ear.  Anyway, because of the improved resolution and the demand it puts on my machine, my window is narrower.  Skyrim seem to do well at 140%, but I am not sure it actually looks much better than 100%.  Fallout in comparison has problems at 100%, so downsampling might be needed.  On the one hand, I wish I had more headroom here, but on the other....things look better by default because of the improved native resolution.  Still more fiddling required, and already thoughts of a vid card upgrade (fucken lusers) begins to enter my head.

TLDR version:  The increased resolution is a big deal.  Where the Vive was admittedly something you got used to as a early adopter of the tech, this once again feels consumer ready in this respect.  I don’t feel like I have to push the supersampling to get something that looks nice.  Everything looks nice by default.  Haven’t loaded up Elite:Dangerous (very text heavy and aliased) yet, but I am betting it will be amazing.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #435 on: July 03, 2019, 07:26:15 AM

My budget for an HMD definitely includes a GPU upgrade. Gotta feed it!
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #436 on: July 03, 2019, 09:34:24 AM

And for quick reference, I am running a 1080 on a i9 9700k, 16gb RAM, SSD, etc.  I need to do a lot more testing before I figure out if I need an upgrade.  Right now it is mainly Fallout, but that game may never be quite right with any hardware.  And hell....I really want to try 144hz (more on that later).

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #437 on: July 03, 2019, 11:09:05 AM

I'm probably going to have to go on one of those specialty forums for figuring out how to set up VR on my distributed system. I have my computer box in another room all the way over on the other side of the house, while I stream to the living room using a micro-PC hooked to the big screen TV. This is obviously going to complicate any VR connections.

Which means I may just wuss out and get the Playstation VR (I do have my consoles in the living room) or maybe just spend a grand or two on a VR capable notebook that I could slide in a slot in my media center...
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #438 on: July 05, 2019, 09:59:53 AM

I think it is worth noting that a ‘VR capable notebook’ would probably be disappointing as fuck with the Index.  Hard to imagine there is anything that could actually run the thing credibly.  Other options are finding some very long cables?  Sounds like a pain.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #439 on: July 05, 2019, 10:17:59 AM

Part 4:  Colors and black levels.

So this bit will be pretty short.  Colors seem to be fine, as good as the Vive as far as I can tell.  Apparently the Vive Pro had better colors due to the higher resolution than the Vive.  Resolution matters when reproducing colors.  So why is the Index not better than OG Vive?  Because it uses LCD technology, where HTC uses OLED.  The choice to use LCD gives a lot of other advantages (higher refresh rates, less screen door, etc.), but color and contrast ain’t among them.  Color is, therefore, a wash compared to the Vive.  Good enough as far as I am concerned.

Contrast on the other hand....here we get to the first tangible negative.  It simply does not do black levels and contrast very well.  Some scenes that should be black are more a dark gray.  Other scene that are dark enough to actually appear black lack contrast.  I have a ‘Darker Nights’ mod on Skyrim, for example, which was great on the Vive.  It was nearly pitch black, but still did contrast well enough that you could make out shapes that were close by, making it feel realistic.  On the same darkness setting on the Index, it almost comes across as all black, shapes being tough to discern.  Now, I can convince myself to think “hey, it’s just super dark”, but it cannot be denied that the contrast is not as good.

That said, I suspect it is the kind of thing I will get used to.  Not a big minus or a killer issue, but it is indeed a difference.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 10:37:25 PM by Cyrrex »

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #440 on: July 07, 2019, 11:14:51 PM

Part 5:  Field of View, IPD, Zoom

All three of these things matter a shitload for a good VR experience.  It all boils down to getting the lens as close to your eyeball as physically possible, get the sweetspot in the right place relative to your pupils, and then how much useful screen fills up your peripheral vision before you see the edges.  It might be taken as a given, but some of the headsets out there, including the newer ones, do not adequately address all three of these things (FOV has some major technical challenges to overcome, for starters).  I believe the Rift S fails to include the Inter-Pupillary Distance slider, for example, which alone is a reason you should never, ever buy one of those.  Okay, so regarding the Index, we'll take these three things one at a time....

Field of View - this was one of the big things that got people interested in the Index, because it boasted a wider FOV than anything but the Pimax.  130 degrees side to side, I think the initial word was.  Whatever.  Now, the thing about FOV is that there are a lot of factors involved in making a judgement on it.  Opening up the IPD literally moves the lenses outwards and will increase FOV, for example, but that doesn't mean you should do it.  Zooming in an out (bring the lenses closer to your eyes) will also obviously increase FOV just like moving up to the first row in a movie theater (although without the drawbacks).  And then obviously, the lenses themselves.  Valves claim was that, all things being equal, they had a significantly better FOV.  Truth is, it's a mixed answer.  I already had my Vive super close to my eye by virtue of buying a special face pad that was much thinner, so my FOV was already increased versus actual specs.  My Index is almost as close to my eyes with the standard face pad.  The result is that the side to side FOV appears to be about the same.  OTOH, the top to bottom FOV is definitely improved on the Index.    That said, I would have prefered a side to side increase.  So the claim is essentially true from Valve, but in reality it is less impactful than I had hoped.  Better FOV overall, but nothing mindblowing as such.

Inter-Pupillary Distance - I think the general range for humans is that there is something like a 72 to 57 millimeter (roughly) distance between pupils.  Cockeyed retards on the one end of the spectrum, beady eyed crooks on the other.  Average is something around 64.  If you have every tried an HMD that did not have a slider, or just did not know it was there, you probably were not getting the best experience.  If it was off by much, shit was probably way out of focus and causing massive strain.  When I physically measure my own IPD, it comes out to about 63.  My Vive would go down to about 62, so it seemed okay.  The range on the Index is much better.  It easily goes down to 58 or something.  The strange thing is, that my eyes seem to prefer going down to 58, even though I should be using 63.  I think it may have something to do with where your focus is....if you are looking at thing in medium to short range all the time, which is often the case in VR, then the sweetspot might move in.  In the end, the thing that matters most with the Index is that the slider works and it has a better range than the Vive.  One drawback is that you can feel pressure on your nose at the lowest setting if you are also zoomed in all the way, which seems like a bit of a design flaw.  But no big deal.

Zoom - okay, it isn't really an optical zoom.  It is a physical zoom, literally moving the lenses closer to or further away from your eyeballs.  Closer is better, would be the general rule.  Exceptions are if you are wearing glasses, or if you need to zoom out to help combat nausea or something.  The biggest benefit of the zoom is the obviously improvement in FOV.  You basically want your eye-lashes brushing against the lenses if you can manage it.  Vive had a good zoom, and also aided by the fact that you could buy thinner facepads.  Index also has a good zoom, and the facepad that ships with it is vastly better than the Vive's standard.  I cannot quiiiiiiite get it as close as the Vive, but it is close.  No idea yet if there are 3rd party face pads, but it is only a matter of time.  I think I like the Index as-is in this regard.  It is so much more comfortable that I don't feel like fucking with it.

Sum total of all of these things is that I have a somewhat improved FOV (particularly top to bottom) and slightly better pupil focus, but with greater comfort.  Advantage Index.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #441 on: July 08, 2019, 10:06:21 AM

Here is a one off question that might not even apply at all to recent VR headsets, but my only real experience is with the Samsung Gear, and apparently I have a super sweaty face because condensation was always a big problem. I know about all the ways to mitigate the issue, but the fact that I have to do stuff to mitigate it is in itself annoying.

So the question is how does the Index fare here? Would I need to pre-warm the headset or mod it with fans or what?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #442 on: July 08, 2019, 10:53:48 AM

Well, sweat can be a problem in two ways, so it depends on what you are talking about.  The first is where it can just be sweaty on the facepad and annoying, uncomfortable, damaging, etc.  On this point, the Index is an improvement by default simply due to the special (hypo-allergenic?  Sweat resistant?) material they use.  It is super comfortable, does not need to sit as tight, and is made out of a fabric that does not seem to cause you to sweat.  A big improvement over the Vive, so that is one thing.

The other thing is that sweat or the simple warmth of your skin can cause an otherwise cool lens to build up condensation.  I had this problem in the early days of the Vive.  In some ways, you build up a tolerance that makes you sweat less.  But more importantly, I got into a habit of making sure the Vive was powered on for a couple minutes before I would use it.  Equalizing the temp between your skin and the lens means no condensation unless you start sweating like a pig.

The Index seems to always have a bit of power going to and warming the lenses just by being plugged in.  So, I have not had condensation even once yet.  Nor have I sweated up the facepad.  So in conclusion, I would say it is better in both ways.

Caveat - I am not much of a sweater by default.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #443 on: July 09, 2019, 12:10:19 AM

Part 6:  Refresh Rates

Okay, so this is a tough one, both to describe and to judge.  To be honest, I may simply not have beefy enough hardware (sorry little 1080 card and whatnot).  So this is subject to some serious updating at some point.

The Vive and Oculus Rift are both set to run at 90hz by default.  The Oculus Quest, I believe, goes at 72hz (which is a compelling reason to avoid it entirely).  I think the Playstation standard is somewhere between 60 and 70, although I have heard they managed to make it work anyway.  I am not going to look them all up, but most of the serious ones have been aiming at 90hz, so just assume that's the standard for sake of this review.  The reason for 90hz is because it seems to be, for most people, the most comfortable minimum framerate for VR, while at the same time putting enough smoothness around the edges to improve "presence".  Usually how these things work is that they aim at producing games to run at 90fps or above, and if for any reason your hardware cannot manage it, then some kind of re-projection and/or motion smoothing tech will kick in to attempt to make up the difference (at the cost of quality, presence and other things).  Dips below 90 are generally okay for a bit, but you can begin to notice it in a very negative way if it starts going down to the 70s and 60s.  There are a lot of factors involved in determining whether or not you can hit 90, and you can guess at most of them.  But VR obviously puts a more variables into the mix, making it all the more difficult to hit the sweetspot. 

Anyway, one of the super interesting things about the Index is that it goes beyond 90hz.  In the Steam software, you now have options for 80, 90, 120 and 144hz (this last one is considered experimental, and probably only a 2080ti can even attempt it).  The thing is, you have a little resolution slider that plays together with it.  If you move up to 120hz, for example, Steam will basically tell you to slide the resolution down, based on what it knows about your hardware.  That said, Steam is only guessing.  For most things, trying to use 120hz means turning down the resolution too far and introducing aliasing, or simply risking that the framerate will not hold.  Where it gets complicated is that at some point, if you fall too short of 120, it will effectively HALVE the framerate to 60, and then start reprojecting.  In other words, that's bad.  You don't want to try to run 120 only to have it throttle itself and interpolate frames...defeats the whole purpose at best, and at worst, you get a choppy mess.  I need to do a lot more experimenting before I can draw any real conclusions - and like I said, it may be my hardware is currently insufficient - but for now I am not seeing real benefits of 120.  I am not seeing an improved presence on any of the FPS type games where that would be the biggest benefit, but it may well be simply because my hardware is halving the framerate.  Or my poor old eyes just cannot perceive a difference.  We will see.  If nothing else, having the option is GREAT, and I have no doubt that there is a benefit to gain for anyone that can push it. 

80hz, on the other hand, is a surprisingly interesting option.  80 fps is still pretty comfortable, so locking into that rate and being able to then turn up the resolution to sharpen the visuals?  That is actually pretty compelling.  It makes Skyrim looking amazing, and it helps shitty things like Fallout maintain the framerate.  I did not expect to see this as an advantage, but it clearly is for lower powered cards.

Anyway, the only conclusion for now is that more options are better than fewer options.  Brilliant that they have added multiple options for refresh rates.  I only wish they did it on a slider like with the resolution instead of the set values.  Might be a technical reason for that, no idea.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #444 on: July 09, 2019, 06:42:15 AM

It's a weird time for gpus. After getting the 4k screen, I've been preparing for a gpu upgrade for my 970. Which is something like 5 years old, now! But it seems that current targets are 1440 and nothing is really comfortable at 2160, and nothing is really crushing VR. I wouldn't be satisfied with VR using the 970, I'm pretty sure...but the current gpus are not compelling an upgrade, because even they aren't quite enough. I'm hoping that nvidia is gunning for 4k/VR with the 30xx series.

It's weird being back in a gpu-bound performance challenge, it's been a looong time since a gpu at the top end was barely acceptable at consumer refresh rates (4k). Lol 8k (but at least 8k will push smoothing/interpolation/potato tech, because again lol).

I mean, as you say, you can get acceptable results with a 1080 for most stuff, so a lot of it is that I like stuff that has headroom enough to not choke on something like, say, completely randomly, Cyberpunk 2077 VR. Or modded minecraft.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 06:44:02 AM by Sky »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #445 on: July 09, 2019, 07:52:31 AM

The 2080 Ti can do 4K 60 FPS gaming comfortably (assuming you also have a powerful enough CPU) though it’s not quite powerful enough to guarantee a minimum of 60 FPS at max settings in all games.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/nvidia-rtx-2080-ti-benchmarks,review-5779.html
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #446 on: July 09, 2019, 08:45:38 AM

Was gonna say the same (I think they brag about 8k even?).

But I do feel Sky’s point.  There are a couple of cards that can really excel at most stuff, but fuck, they cost a pretty penny.  The last two generation of cards I have owned have each lived for close to 3 years, and that is insane for someone like me who is always always always finding myself in a situation where I want more speed.

A 2080 will probably give me 20 to 30 percent increase in the real world.  For close to a thousand dollars.  That is madness.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #447 on: July 09, 2019, 09:38:07 AM

I am still holding off. I have never had the chance to even try once any kind of VR so far (well, except for that one and only time at an arcade in London in 1991, for real) and at this point I have decided to wait at least another five years. So my first time, supposedly, will literally blow me away. Mmmm... let's make it ten years for maximum effect?

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #448 on: July 09, 2019, 09:58:52 AM

By that logic, you should never try it, because it will always be better in 5 years.  This goes for everything in the entire history of the universe.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #449 on: July 09, 2019, 10:25:31 AM

Well that's true in a way. But at the same time technology can sometimes "wow" you, and sometimes underwhelm you in a sense that is "Uhm... I thought things were going to be more impressive by now". I had both feelings with plenty of things before. Sometimes being an early adopter is amazing, and sometimes you really get a blast only by being a late adopter.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #450 on: July 09, 2019, 10:28:46 AM

Yeah, I know, I was just messing with you.  And in any event, it is fair enough to say that the software is largely unimpressive, even if the tech itself is in a good place.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #451 on: July 09, 2019, 11:15:20 AM

Besides cost, my biggest concern with attempting to use any of these incredibly uncomfortable-looking headsets is that my glasses will totally fuck the experience up.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #452 on: July 09, 2019, 11:26:20 AM

How bad is your vision?  General rule of thumb is that if you can see details at arms length without lenses, you would be fine.  Probably better with Index because of higher resolutions.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #453 on: July 09, 2019, 11:41:07 AM

Oh fuck no, I'm blind as a goddamn bat. Without glasses, shit gets fuzzy around my elbow.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #454 on: July 09, 2019, 11:50:38 AM

Yeah, that’s a tough one.  I mean, there are plenty of people out there that do it with glasses.  No idea what it’s like.  Tell you what though, for the sake of science I will toss on my glasses and give it a go (I wear contacts, but have backup glasses).

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Index/Oculus/Vive/PSVR  
Jump to: