Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 07:55:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Crowfall aka Play2Crush aka Shadowbane II aka Nostalgia Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crowfall aka Play2Crush aka Shadowbane II aka Nostalgia Online  (Read 547722 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #665 on: February 24, 2015, 10:26:34 AM

Special-invite only so as the 1337 decks aren't pilfered.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #666 on: February 24, 2015, 10:37:01 AM

Which is weird cuz there aien't no leetness in that forum. Too bad, I wish we had a team to go after Hextechs Open and Five Cups.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 10:50:42 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
WayAbvPar

Reply #667 on: February 24, 2015, 11:00:21 AM

I will probably throw them $30. I will end up buying the game anyway, so why not save some dough?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #668 on: February 24, 2015, 11:16:37 AM

Wonder if I'll be able to register for their forums now that I'm a KS backer.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
WayAbvPar

Reply #669 on: February 24, 2015, 11:26:10 AM

If it does, make sure to put the Hex CM's quote in your sig  awesome, for real

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #670 on: February 24, 2015, 11:32:46 AM

I will probably throw them $30. I will end up buying the game anyway, so why not save some dough?

Over half of those are gone already, so better hurry.

I am the .00000001428%
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #671 on: February 24, 2015, 11:52:10 AM

Some nitpicks about the kickstarter and associated info:

- I wish the higher but still non-insane contribution levels had more in-game foozles that aren't part of the instanced housing.  I'm sure I am not the only one who doesn't care about any of the Eternal Kingdom stuff.  I know this is hard to do in a game where equipment decays and breaks (i.e., they can't offer an unbreakable sword that goes with you everywhere even if the stats are the same as in-game obtainable swords), but more tiers should have had things like the $60 arcane recipe set (and there should be unique in-game cosmetic effects, etc.).  I will probably go $250 because that kicks in a collector's edition (and I want to see games like this made), but there is no incentive to go higher if you don't care about the Eternal Kingdoms. 

- As said above, the target for this is weird- that obviously isn't nearly enough to complete the game.  And I wish there was some indication of stretch goals (get to $1,000,000 and get two new archetypes, etc.).

- The risk/reward seems skewed in the rules they posted, at least for the dregs.  If you want to get people to try FFA pvp, giving the losers rewards (rather big rewards) seems like the best option.  Conversely, the "safer" pvp worlds should have very low winner percentages (and very little loser percentages).  That being said, this is the part they said could change the most based on actual data, so not a big worry.  
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 11:56:02 AM by Triforcer »

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
schild
Administrator

Reply #672 on: February 24, 2015, 12:14:16 PM

wow they want to charge $50 MSRP for the game also?

These fucking backwards assholes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #673 on: February 24, 2015, 12:15:30 PM

Anyway, this game is not getting made for their goal, so they're just using Kickstarter as a cash infusion for utter bullshit. It's pretty reprehensible. I know Kickstarter's interest is in the % so they're not gonna turn down something like this, but I really wish they had people on staff that knew a game like this could not get made for an amount like that.

Edit:
Kickstarter represents the absolute best way to start a new project – because it allows (and relies on) the fans to get involved from the beginning!

lol no
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 12:17:53 PM by schild »
WayAbvPar

Reply #674 on: February 24, 2015, 12:16:01 PM

Over half of those are gone already, so better hurry.

I was reminded that I am not charged until the KS is fully funded, so I snatched one up.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #675 on: February 24, 2015, 01:34:08 PM

1) this game is using the gw2 payment model.
2) this game already has 2.5M vc funds already.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #676 on: February 24, 2015, 01:44:34 PM

$800k is way, way too low, IMO, even with the VC cash they've already made. I also expected that art style to look better when animated, but I'm sad to say it looks worse.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #677 on: February 24, 2015, 02:05:07 PM

My guess is they are betting on getting double that to fully fund the core. But they set the number at half to get paid.

Either way what they want is 25,000+ people to show up and donate something, even if it's $5. That's so they can show further investors how many potential day one sales they have.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #678 on: February 24, 2015, 03:10:49 PM

They at least admit the KS is primarily for marketing.

"Me am play gods"
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #679 on: February 24, 2015, 04:02:31 PM

Where do they admit that?

WayAbvPar

Reply #680 on: February 24, 2015, 04:27:48 PM

They are halfway to their stated goal in less than half a day. Hopefully they get enough to actually deliver something worth playing.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #681 on: February 24, 2015, 05:10:16 PM

Where do they admit that?

They didn't "admit it" so much as spell it out.

To get this game brought to market, we intend to use every method at our disposal to fund the game through completion.

Specifically:

We will likely sell more equity (ownership in our company) in the future,
    We will license some of the overseas rights for Crowfall.  We're going to try and keep control of the English-speaking territories.
    And, yes, we will do a crowdfunding campaign.  We aren't asking you to fund the entire game, but your participation is a key piece of the funding puzzle.

A successful crowdfunding campaign does more than just provide funding; it also demonstrates "market viability."   It shows that Crowfall has a committed audience, and that we're making a game that people want to play.  Our story is stronger, and that dramatically improves our ability to sell both equity and license overseas rights.  It's a real force multiplier in giving us the resources we need to build a world-class game.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #682 on: February 24, 2015, 08:40:41 PM

Our goal for this Kickstarter is to fund the core module of Crowfall. 

How many games can you play with a standard deck of cards?  Poker, Blackjack, Bridge – the variety is endless. Think of the core module like our baseline deck of cards. This is the foundation of the game, on which all the variant rules sets can be built.

Much of the core module work has already been done; we are looking to the community to help us finish it. Specifically, we will use these funds to build:

They list a whole bunch of features after that.

I saw the earlier part on the site, then I see this on KS. I guess maybe it's the same thing? But it doesn't sound like the same thing. Basically on KS it sounds like they want to build the core of the game and launch it. They even say they want to come to the people first and will go to a publisher if they have to.

It's slick lawyer-talk but I see the point.

schild
Administrator

Reply #683 on: February 24, 2015, 09:36:36 PM

Our goal for this Kickstarter is to fund the core module of Crowfall. 

How many games can you play with a standard deck of cards?  Poker, Blackjack, Bridge – the variety is endless. Think of the core module like our baseline deck of cards. This is the foundation of the game, on which all the variant rules sets can be built.
This is beyond the pale.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #684 on: February 25, 2015, 01:38:40 AM

It's funny we don't hear about HEX much anymore after all the bullshit shouting, but that's a side note.
As others have said, we do all the talking in the Hex forum.  I threw $500 at it, and have gotten my moneys worth already.  I've played it more than any other game ever, other than the 2-3 years straight I played WoW.  Development has been slow and painful, but they already have a great product out.  Easily worth the money for me, and its something I'll keep on playing for years (unless the studio shuts downs  awesome, for real).

So far all of my kickstarters have worked out great.  Wasteland 2 was kind of a let down, but still enjoyable.  Thats my worst outcome so far (though plenty of them are still in development, so we'll see).  I went ahead pledged.  Kickstarter cannot possibly bring in all the funds needed to make an MMO, but sounds like they are doing this to help them secure more funding, so I'm happy to show support.  Its a game I'd like to see made, so I'll make a donation to the cause.

wow they want to charge $50 MSRP for the game also?

These fucking backwards assholes.
Whats wrong with that?  Pay for the box plus optional sub seems like the best way to do an MMO.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #685 on: February 25, 2015, 03:57:08 AM

Its one of the better kickstarters out there and showed more than pretty much every mmorpg kickstarter I have seen. However, asking for $600k and putting an estimated release date in december 2016 is total BS. Camelot unchained told exactly how much money would be needed to complete the game and said how he would get it, and I think Crowfall should do something similar. Not fond of using kickstarter funds as a leverage for future investors.

Biggest problem is still the game, I know about their ideas but I have no idea how its going to play out and how close they will be to reach their vision. Also, no healer archetypes hurt, its probably why I will play camelot unchained instead of crowfall.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #686 on: February 25, 2015, 08:57:36 AM

Could go in any of three threads, but probably best over here.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #687 on: February 25, 2015, 09:18:36 AM

Wait.. they fired him but didn't remove his twitter from the stream?

Classic SOE.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #688 on: February 25, 2015, 10:12:35 AM

Linking personal accounts to a public-facing company page to begin with...

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #689 on: February 25, 2015, 10:42:54 AM

Classic SOE.

Fucking clown shoes as usual.

I have never played WoW.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #690 on: February 25, 2015, 10:50:06 AM

Looks like kickstarter sb.xed.

I am the .00000001428%
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #691 on: February 25, 2015, 01:08:34 PM

Classic SOE.
Fucking clown shoes as usual.
They probably fired their social media person too so there's nobody left that knows how to fix that.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #692 on: February 25, 2015, 02:40:01 PM

A quick derail if you don't mind, but whatever became of McQuaid and his KS project?
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #693 on: February 25, 2015, 02:44:28 PM

The tldr version is: The Pantheon KS failed to fund.

The F13 forum thread is here.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #694 on: February 25, 2015, 04:14:29 PM

A quick derail if you don't mind, but whatever became of McQuaid and his KS project?
They failed KS, did some funding on their page which ran out, but they still work on it. They use unity 5 engine for the game and here's link to latest video

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #695 on: February 25, 2015, 05:10:28 PM

I'm surprised at the archetypes they went with.  There is no human wizard type, confessors are fire priests really.  No elves besides the weird looking frostweavers and winged gender locked assassins, not having the bladeweaver (or it's human blademaster equivalent) seems like a weird omission. Only one stealth type class, and no scouts, which were the very best solution to MMO stealth any game has come up with.  Champions/Knights/Templars/legionaires seem entirely redundant, could've just made a "warrior" that covered all of those.

I am the .00000001428%
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #696 on: February 25, 2015, 06:39:55 PM

Classic SOE.

It's now classic Windbreak...Daybreak...whatever.  Same old same old regardless of what call themselves these days.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #697 on: February 26, 2015, 08:14:27 AM

I am interested in this game - but my 'don't kickstart games' rule is in full effect.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #698 on: February 26, 2015, 09:26:18 AM

I'm just going to set this down here.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #699 on: February 26, 2015, 09:36:39 AM

Early amber looks like the best "deal". Too bad I don't have blind faith to do this.

"Me am play gods"
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 41 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Crowfall aka Play2Crush aka Shadowbane II aka Nostalgia Online  
Jump to: