Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 11:41:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Crowfall aka Play2Crush aka Shadowbane II aka Nostalgia Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crowfall aka Play2Crush aka Shadowbane II aka Nostalgia Online  (Read 547738 times)
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #630 on: February 18, 2015, 04:54:44 PM

...and Lantyssa performs fatality...

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #631 on: February 18, 2015, 05:04:13 PM

You just typed out a page describing market segmentation. Pretty clear from my posts I understand what that is, since I brought it up. Were you replying to someone else who showed they didn't understand market segmentation?

I explained what I would do, if I had a multi hundred million dollar budget and platinum IP-- exactly what ESO did. Well, I would spend dev resources engineering the business model pivot from day 1, preparing for the worst, and switch over after 6 months or so, once it became clear my game wasn't the next WoW. But pretty close.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 05:08:47 PM by sam, an eggplant »
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #632 on: February 18, 2015, 05:34:45 PM

A little bit of everyone.  I was just expanding on what I was trying to say earlier and your post helped me launch into it.

Like I said, crazy time.  Because I am losing it with my current work project.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #633 on: February 18, 2015, 06:30:55 PM

Our two models boil down to:

(X)  vs.  (X + Y + Z + W)
Might be worth considering that part of the X group can't stand the "dirty console casual kid peasants" they consider the Y, Z and W to be, and so will refuse to grace with their presence and money establishments which let these groups in. It's pretty likely a small subset, but how it shapes the 'lost opportunity' for both cases, I'm not really sure. It makes the math less clear-cut, in any case.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #634 on: February 19, 2015, 09:22:02 AM

Today, two archetypes. The elven frost mage, and the hamster? Badger? Woodchuck? Whatever it is.

Also, a FAQ describing their physics model.

15. Does that mean that I can be hit by friendly fire?

Wherever possible, yes -- but we have to make sure that this is balanced. Some rules sets (like the infected worlds, which are Faction based) divide players automatically into teams. We have to make sure that players can't join teams specifically to take advantage of friendly fire to grief their own "teammates."

Our plan is to try and apply debuffs to players for doing damage to or killing their teammates (the gods curse you for your incompetence). If this proves not to be a good enough deterrent, however, we may have to turn friendly fire off for particular Campaign worlds.
Translation: yes, we'll be turning off friendly fire in certain rulesets.  why so serious?

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #635 on: February 19, 2015, 10:42:56 AM

fenrisddevil, on 19 Feb 2015 - 10:32 AM, said:
So we were right, FF is active only on the FFA server. While some debuffs might substitute (or not) friendly fire on carebears shards.

I'm not entirely sure how you can read an FAQ that mentions the possibility of turning off friendly fire on 1 or 2 of the announced rulesets, and to you that translates to "only FFA has friendly fire".

Make no mistake, we'll be working and testing this area heavily and we'll find what works best for each campaign ruleset. We might find a way to execute it well on all of them, we may not.

It's best not to jump to hyperbolic conclusion's when we're being very forward and open with our thinking with you on this.

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/2357-friendly-fire-explained/?p=60671
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #636 on: February 19, 2015, 10:57:16 AM

I came to the conclusion (that they will turn off friendly fire) by looking into my crystal ball and seeing that the PK crowd will go to any lengths to grief others, even if it means getting a debuff or other punishment as a "deterrent".

Just kidding, I don't have a crystal ball.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #637 on: February 19, 2015, 11:07:41 AM

The ball in this case is going to be the testicles of the PVP crowd you'll get when they drop a fruit basket on your corpse.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #638 on: February 19, 2015, 11:30:21 AM

Friendly fire would work fine in normal servers like it did in Shadowbane.  It doesn't matter if you can kill your own "side" as long as sides are not predetermined.  I have fond memories of raining AOE death on enemy zergs with my channeler and taking out our entire vanguard in the process, as long as we were the ones standing in the end no one much cared.  If you are going to force sides then no thank you.  Also holy shit i'm going to be a god damn gerbil of doom.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 11:48:37 AM by Threash »

I am the .00000001428%
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #639 on: February 19, 2015, 11:37:08 AM

Yeah, like Threash said. Friendly Fire was ON for lots of spells in Shadowbane and it kind of worked. There was also self-harming stuff, I fondly remember that class that existed only to run into enemy lines and suicide by self-exploding into some nuclear blast. Glorious.

But physics?  why so serious? why so serious? why so serious? why so serious?

This alone makes me want to NOT give them any money. All of a sudden it started to sound like Star Citizen-level of bullshit promise.

Has this technology been used before?
Yes. The Voxel Farm technology library has been used by Daybreak Game Company on their titles Landmark and up-coming MMO, EverQuest Next.

In a PVP game?
Also, performance-hog and lag issues all over. Bah.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 11:40:03 AM by Falconeer »

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #640 on: February 19, 2015, 11:49:54 AM

Yeah, like Threash said. Friendly Fire was ON for lots of spells in Shadowbane and it kind of worked. There was also self-harming stuff, I fondly remember that class that existed only to run into enemy lines and suicide by self-exploding into some nuclear blast. Glorious.

The Sentinel, glorious.  A pack of centaur sentinels suicide bombing a zerg was a joy to behold.

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #641 on: February 19, 2015, 12:36:16 PM

I'm fully skeptical that they can actually make the game work in any sort of reasonable fashion. That's some really intense server/client resource hog stuff. Collision and Physics. Have fun with that.

But I really hope they can!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #642 on: February 19, 2015, 01:10:17 PM

Friendly fire is always dumb in my mind. It's a griefers paradise.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #643 on: February 19, 2015, 01:17:36 PM

It is only a griefers paradise if you have no control over who is a "friendly".  If you do it is just another tactical consideration.

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #644 on: February 19, 2015, 01:17:52 PM

Plenty of games without it. I'd like to see  one try. Griefers? Fine with me. I prefer to play on FFA servers anyway.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #645 on: February 19, 2015, 04:23:55 PM

Griefers? Kill them. Play on a FFA server.

AC/AC2,UO, M59, and others I'm missing had/have friendly fire. It's not a big deal, so long as you don't have some kind of programatic check to see if you can do damage to a person based on him being on your 'side' or in your group or some other nonsense.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #646 on: February 19, 2015, 04:46:52 PM

Have the friendly fire damage someone does apply a long lasting, stacking debuff to friendly fire.  If it was a legitimately an accident or unavoidable use of AE, your own team mates probably won't frag you.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #647 on: February 19, 2015, 05:04:19 PM

It is not something you need to penalize at all as long as you have complete control over who is a friendly.  It was a feature in shadowbane that you simply could not rain down AoE death on the enemy with zero drawbacks.  If you accidentally hit your own side you are already being penalized by hurting your side during a battle, nothing else is needed.

I am the .00000001428%
drogg
Terracotta Army

Reply #648 on: February 23, 2015, 10:26:33 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #649 on: February 24, 2015, 02:30:58 AM

I'm surprised these dreamers didn't opt for the Chris Roberts style of Kickstarter so they never had to actually produce a game.

Doin it wrong from day 1.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #650 on: February 24, 2015, 05:45:29 AM

Well, nothing says they have to actually produce the game  why so serious?  SC had the "pre-renderedalpha footage" too.

Of course the idea of maybe selling stuff like a voucher for new game class that currently exists as concept drawing on a napkin, for a thousand bucks... is probably slightly less feasible.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #651 on: February 24, 2015, 06:08:55 AM

Depends on how they set it up. And how much money they ask for. I'm really hoping they don't post some stupid amount like $500,000. That will essentially let me know they are bullshitting everyone to try and pull real money into the deal.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #652 on: February 24, 2015, 06:23:44 AM

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #653 on: February 24, 2015, 07:21:29 AM

Interesting stuff on the Winning Conditions of the Campaigns (in the given example, a hardcoded three-factions campaign).

5. Can you describe the Victory Condition rules for a given Campaign?

Sure. Let’s assume that we join a Campaign on the “Infected” Worlds. That means this is a Faction-based Campaign; i.e. the players are broken up into three teams: Order, Balance and Chaos.

Each Campaign has a duration, let’s say its 3 months.

The goal of the ORDER faction is to amass the most Victory Points before the World expires.

The goal of the CHAOS faction is the same.

BALANCE doesn’t gain victory points in this system, however. The goal of the BALANCE faction is to try and end the Campaign with ORDER and CHAOS having roughly the same number of Victory Points; i.e. no clear winner between the other two.

In other words:

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #654 on: February 24, 2015, 07:43:05 AM

So given what we know they are angling for about $4M minimum to make this happen. I'm pretty sure they can't make the game for that. It's probably why they said CORE over and over.

My guess was closer to $6-8M. Maybe I'm off, I don't know. It all depends on how lean and mean they are running with overhead, and how many appeals to cash they are willing to make. I understand setting the bar lower so they can collect, but I think in reality the KS needs to pull in twice what they are asking for to get good momentum.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 08:26:34 AM by Paelos »

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #655 on: February 24, 2015, 07:57:28 AM

Was this Play2Crush or Pay2Alpha?

I like the aesthetics and the world seems kinda neat. The idea of seasons in a persistent game is something I've wished for a long time. I just can't see throwing cash at something that won't come to fruition for nearly two years. This is a weird KS; far too early to be a simple marketing KS yet not nearly enough money to make the game.

I want to like it, though. Looks cool on paper.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #656 on: February 24, 2015, 08:08:10 AM

To me they have to raise 5x that amount just to have a glymer of hope. What 2.7m already and no tech demo? Hex at least showed us a basic semi-functional game.

I see nothing in rewards that makes feel like I can get a good deal for taking a big risk.

Still no carebear/newbie friendly formats. This is huge. No brainier. There needs to be a kiddie pool to help players make the transition from WoW.

"Me am play gods"
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #657 on: February 24, 2015, 08:28:01 AM

Still no carebear/newbie friendly formats. This is huge. No brainier. There needs to be a kiddie pool to help players make the transition from WoW.

I think eternal kingdoms will provide this. There will be mobs and whatnot for learning. Likely leveling too, probably at a reduced rate. The kingdoms will set their own rules.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #658 on: February 24, 2015, 08:54:27 AM

Those pay-to-name tiers looked interesting. They're practically sold-out already. Personal barometer: I was tempted and every game kickstarter I've taken a risk on has been a failure or dragged-on for an eternity. Only my quest to wean myself off of MMOs and computer games entirely kept me from opening my wallet. So my fail-o-meter is high. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #659 on: February 24, 2015, 09:07:00 AM

I pledged, i want this game.

I am the .00000001428%
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #660 on: February 24, 2015, 09:09:13 AM

I pledged too; I assume I'll be able to resell the code during development if I change my mind.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #661 on: February 24, 2015, 09:25:24 AM

Tempting, but my only KS back to date has been Hex and even though I am not too disappointed with it, I don't think I would do it again if given the option.  So, I'll wait and see with this one.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #662 on: February 24, 2015, 09:32:36 AM

It's funny we don't hear about HEX much anymore after all the bullshit shouting, but that's a side note.

This game looks like something different. However, the money needed to execute strikes me as woefully short. I'm leery of that.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #663 on: February 24, 2015, 09:42:14 AM

Well, there is another forum for Hex..

But anyway, I agree, it seems like the project they WANT to do will cost a good deal more than they have, or will have.  But there are probably a dozen MMOs over the years that have talked a similar game and failed or faded into obscurity.  I want to believe, as they say, but I can't help but assume it's going to go the way of all the others in the end.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #664 on: February 24, 2015, 09:49:21 AM

It's funny we don't hear about HEX much anymore after all the bullshit shouting, but that's a side note.

This game looks like something different. However, the money needed to execute strikes me as woefully short. I'm leery of that.
The Hex subforum here is still pretty active; we even have an f13 league.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 41 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Crowfall aka Play2Crush aka Shadowbane II aka Nostalgia Online  
Jump to: