Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:46:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Flash 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Flash  (Read 91498 times)
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: November 27, 2014, 02:22:54 PM

Yeah, I recognized a few of those Easter Egg names but not all of them. Elongated Man wouldn't be that hard to pull off... hell, the Roger Corman Fantastic Four movie did it respectably considering they spent nothing on it and merely did camera tricks. Can't be any harder to pull off than Firestorm will be.

I disagree about Iris - no one is as annoying as Laurel. Also, Iris is MUCH hotter. I think they've actually done a better job with the supporting cast on Flash than they have on Arrow. There's nobody on the cast I want to nut punch the minute I see them (see the aforementioned Laurel).

No one tops Felicity. 

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: November 27, 2014, 06:05:47 PM

I like dad cop whose name I can't remember.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: November 28, 2014, 05:48:22 AM

Cisco annoys the fuck out of me. Considering that he has the same civilian name as Vibe, that's staying reasonably close to the source material, but still.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: November 30, 2014, 09:51:00 AM

Just a little note: Supergirl (CBS) may be part of this shared universe if it goes to series.  It is going to get to an odd point if the only things missing from this shared universe are the big three of DC...

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #39 on: November 30, 2014, 12:26:30 PM

Well, we know for sure that Wayne Enterprises exists in the shared universe, because of the newspaper from 2024 that Wells was looking at. It mentions Wayne merging with Queen Consolidated.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: November 30, 2014, 03:36:09 PM

They have had Wayne Enterprises pop up in the background on Arrow too.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: November 30, 2014, 05:23:49 PM

So is this the Wayne Enterprises of Gotham (and young Bruce Wayne) or the one with Christian Bale?  Or is it a totally different third Wayne Enterprises?  My head hurts.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: November 30, 2014, 08:43:11 PM

It is unlikely that they would link Gotham to these two (or three?) series.  I imagine that if they get the blessing to do a Batman in the GA/Flash continuity, it will be a new Batman.  Personally, I think they're testing the water with Flash to see if they can do a TV and movie franchise at the same time with the same character.  If it works, I think we might get Batman as a replacement for Arrow in 5 or 6 years....

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: December 03, 2014, 08:39:45 AM

I'm trying to figure out if I like the look of our new meta... I was curious how they'd do it. It isn't bad, but it just didn't sit right with me either.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: December 03, 2014, 07:56:25 PM

Who? "Prism?" Not exactly a sophisticated effect on the bad guy. Though it was a good episode!
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: December 03, 2014, 08:08:17 PM

Who? "Prism?" Not exactly a sophisticated effect on the bad guy. Though it was a good episode!

It's Rainbow Raider!   awesome, for real
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: December 03, 2014, 08:10:37 PM

I was sort of curious about whether Cisco was gonna go there, but since they pretty much re-did Roy G. Bivolo as the Psycho-Pirate with only one emotion to his credit, I figured there wasn't any sense to Cisco calling him that.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #47 on: December 05, 2014, 11:14:50 PM

They called him Rainbow Raider in jest, so they at least got the name in there.  why so serious? Did anyone else notice they pretty much confirmed not only the existence of Batman but the fact that he's been around a while and is at least as violent as Arrow?

I was grinning the whole time through this episode and the crossover Arrow episode. Love what they've done with Captain Boomerang (ASHUR!).

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: December 06, 2014, 03:19:25 AM

Wait, how did they confirm Batman?  Ashur.  Ok now I remember where I've seen him. Driving me crazy.  The crossover event was really good I thought.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #49 on: December 06, 2014, 03:57:51 PM

Harrison Wells and Joe West were talking to Barry about the Arrow's methods and they mentioned that Batman's had similar violent methods and it doesn't end well or some such. But they clearly said Batman.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 06, 2014, 04:11:25 PM

No, at the end of the episode.... Firestorm.

...and I did not hear the name Batman at all....

Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: December 06, 2014, 04:21:45 PM

Harrison Wells and Joe West were talking to Barry about the Arrow's methods and they mentioned that Batman's had similar violent methods and it doesn't end well or some such. But they clearly said Batman.

No, they said "that man", not "Batman".

They actually aren't allowed to mentioned Batman, Superman, Gotham or Metropolis in Arrow or The Flash, apparently.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #52 on: December 06, 2014, 05:07:09 PM

I could swear they said Batman. I was tired but I didn't think I was that tired.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: December 06, 2014, 05:30:18 PM

They actually aren't allowed to mentioned Batman, Superman, Gotham or Metropolis in Arrow or The Flash, apparently.

But they can mention Wayne enterprises?

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #54 on: December 06, 2014, 05:34:33 PM

This blogger seems to agree with the "that man" being what was said, though he thinks it was said with some ambiguity as perhaps an easter egg. Since we do know that Wayne Enterprises does exist, I'll just choose to believe he meant Batman.  why so serious?

Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: December 06, 2014, 06:00:54 PM

But they can mention Wayne enterprises?

Well, technically (as I understand it), they mainly just can't mention Gotham or Metropolis. As for the Wayne Enterprises mention it supposedly was grandfathered as the restriction came afterwards or something. Don't really know the details, just what one of the producers for Arrow/Flash mentioned not being able to mention the aforementioned cities and such.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: December 06, 2014, 08:55:15 PM

Basically the movie side of Warners has to give any ok for the TV side to use anything.  The whole Batman/Superman thing is because they don't want "overexposure" of these two specific people/properties.  So although they can use stuff like Ras Al'Gul they can't mention Batman's ties to him.  Even the Harley Easter Egg last season had a lot of hurdles for them to jump through to do it.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: December 07, 2014, 07:11:13 AM

I remember a map of DC cities (not going to look it up), but I assume Star(ling) City is the stand in for San Francisco and I like to think Central City is St. Louis. 

Enjoyed the Flash punching Arrow hundreds of times, too bad the kid is a spaghetti armed punk.  awesome, for real

I'm STILL not comfortable with Grant Gustin as the Flash, he seems too young but maybe I'll get over it.  This show clearly needs more Felicity with a bra.  Heart
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #58 on: December 07, 2014, 10:51:04 AM

Starling City is roughly San Francisco (which somehow also exists in the DC universe), but Central City is actually equivalent to Kansas City. here's that map you were too lazy to link, although you may have to open the image in a new window to actually read anything.

Apparently New England has so many cognate cities that are standing in for the same real ones that it needed it's own map. I suspect some kind of dimensional warping, with memory holes so people don't notice there are 7 different cities on Manhattan Island.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: December 07, 2014, 12:48:34 PM

It was "That man". Even makes sense in context.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: December 07, 2014, 05:40:35 PM

The location of DC cities was intentionally vague - and conflicting - for a long time.  I was unaware they locked them down on a map... and the comic map does not need to match up to the TV map.  I was picturing both Starling and Central being on the West Coast as I watched the shows.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #61 on: December 07, 2014, 09:18:52 PM

They aren't very far apart in the TV-verse. I think they said about 300 miles.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: December 08, 2014, 04:11:13 AM

Ok then, if that's the case we can try to determine what real city Central City is overlaid on.  Also, I don't ever see a coast when they show Central City.  So, inland and 300 miles from San Francisco means  *googling*...Thousand Oaks/Simi Valley CA!  why so serious?

Why yes I am bored.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: December 08, 2014, 04:32:24 AM

I thought Starling City was Seattle.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: December 08, 2014, 06:17:36 AM

I thought Central City was on the coast due to the episode where the Flash runs Plastique out to the ocean before she explodes.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: December 08, 2014, 10:45:54 AM

I don't think there are perfect equivalents.  Starling is clearly based upon Seattle in feel (with some SF/Oakland tossed into it), but could be anywhere on the Northern California, Oregon or Washington coasts.  Central City could literally be anywhere in those states... near a big and wide river.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #66 on: December 08, 2014, 12:10:12 PM

I'd hate to say it but I enjoyed the cross over.

I think what I like most about this Flash show (never read any comics or whatnot) is that the bad guys have powers that sorta make sense in giving someone with super duper speed trouble.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #67 on: December 08, 2014, 12:50:35 PM

The crossover was fucking awesome. Comic geek wet dream. Also, Felicity in a bra.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: December 08, 2014, 02:27:54 PM

I thought Central City was on the coast due to the episode where the Flash runs Plastique out to the ocean before she explodes.

You're right.  I stand corrected.  So maybe Central City is Portland.  535 miles apart.  So that's the town I'll think of.  Not that it really matters except to my nerd brain.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: December 08, 2014, 03:15:45 PM

I think what I like most about this Flash show (never read any comics or whatnot) is that the bad guys have powers that sorta make sense in giving someone with super duper speed trouble.
I would kind of like to see a couple guys with impressive Super powers that are totally tooled by Flash speed.  Maybe just as a first act goodie on an episode that runs short. 

My criticism of the DC comics world on screen is that the heroes are too powerful.  If you directly translate the comics, you end up with things that just look ridiculous.  They've avoided that here.

This Flash runs hundreds of miles per hour (so far).  In the comics, the Flashes can run faster than light speed (671,080,888 mph) via the Speed Force.  That makes this Flash more like a slower Quicksilver (who runs about 7500 MPH at top speed, I think) - far more Marvel and less DC in power levels.  I'm betting this Flash will eventually get up to much faster speeds, but for now it isn't too bad - although I'm a little unclear on how gravity impacts him (when he runs up a slope, it seems like he should be launched off of it...)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Flash  
Jump to: