Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:41:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Flash 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Flash  (Read 92243 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #70 on: December 08, 2014, 03:24:19 PM

He will be traveling through time, so we know he's going to get to RIDICULOUS SPEEDS!!!!

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: December 08, 2014, 03:57:57 PM

He will be traveling through time, so we know he's going to get to RIDICULOUS LUDICROUS SPEEDS!!!!

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: December 08, 2014, 04:03:45 PM

He will be traveling through time, so we know he's going to get to RIDICULOUS SPEEDS!!!!

I am pretty sure we are gonna see close to full power Flash in the TV show.  They've already ramped up his speed since the beginning of the show.  Also the fact that
Also the Flash series has changed the minds of the Arrow writers and they aren't going to stray away from metahumans as a rule anymore.  Which can also lead to an actual Black Canary with a real Canary Cry.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: December 09, 2014, 04:38:07 AM

Mark Hamill is going to reprise his role as the Trickster from the older Flash series.

That's awesome.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: December 09, 2014, 02:35:59 PM

Kind of a quirky idea - what if the current Flash TV series is in the same continuity as the old 80s one - and Reverse Flash is his dad, the original Flash? 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #75 on: December 10, 2014, 12:26:20 AM

As of tonight, that theory is Not It, since they went with the obvious thing they've been leading up to all season instead. :)
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: December 10, 2014, 03:53:57 AM

Yeah, it was obvious, but the episode was quite good.  Not only for the superhero scenes, which were good, but with Caitlin and Cisco (who finally flesh out more as real people, so much so that I actually remember their names now).  Heck, even Grant Gustin showed a little more gravitas, which was very welcome.

This show is really dialed in.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: December 10, 2014, 04:33:31 AM

Actually I think things are still pretty mysterious re: the Reverse-Flash's identity.

This show is a lot of fun. They're throwing out Easter eggs all over the place but also keeping anyone who knows the comics guessing all the time.
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #78 on: December 10, 2014, 10:20:10 AM

Awesome show, I'm really happy with what the Arrow/Flash creative teams are doing. I hope similiar shows from now on will learn from it. (Though, judging by the recent announcements, maybe not...  Heartbreak)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: December 10, 2014, 10:36:45 AM

Actually I think things are still pretty mysterious re: the Reverse-Flash's identity.

This show is a lot of fun. They're throwing out Easter eggs all over the place but also keeping anyone who knows the comics guessing all the time.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: December 10, 2014, 12:20:27 PM

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: December 11, 2014, 09:28:45 AM

I've really liked this and Arrow, enjoyed Smallville too when it wasn't spending whole story arcs on teenage soap opera. I can't really grasp how DC's properties can be so well handled in TV format and come out with flop after flop on the big screen. The lesson you'd imagine would be learned is let the comic heroes come through and maybe even consider some of the lesser known names with some more creative freedom.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: December 11, 2014, 01:07:01 PM

If you think about it, the two Reverse Flashes/Zooms in the comics have different motivations.

Eobard Thawne, the one from the future, is just a psycho who is obsessed with the idea of crime in a society that has little crime, and then secondarily by the legend of the Flash. Over time they made that connection denser and more complicated--he studies the Flash and the Speed Force extensively in the future, he was attracted to the Flash's wife, then he was actually distantly related to the Flash, etc.

Hunter Zolomon, the one from the present, was friends with the Flash, but eventually begs the Flash to travel through time and undo a trauma he's suffered. When the Flash refuses, he tries himself to travel in time and ends up gaining powers that are kind of like superspeed but not really. He decides to make Wally a better Flash by causing him personal trauma so that he becomes a much stronger and faster version.

----

The complicated thing is that the Reverse Flash and Wells both seem to have some elements of both stories involved, but I feel like there are a few things they're still really holding back from us.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: December 11, 2014, 01:36:07 PM

I am willing to wager that they are kind of combining, what they think are, the best bits of all of the flash stories.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #84 on: December 12, 2014, 09:28:26 AM

The idea of the '90's Flash show being in continuity just got a lot stronger. Amanda Pays character is named exactly the same as her character on the original show - Tina McGee. I don't think John Wesley Shipp is Reverse Flash that killed Barry's mother. I think he's the Flash that was FIGHTING Reverse Flash in that little flash back.

Firestorm flying was fucking awesome.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: December 12, 2014, 04:05:24 PM

The idea of the '90's Flash show being in continuity just got a lot stronger. Amanda Pays character is named exactly the same as her character on the original show - Tina McGee. I don't think John Wesley Shipp is Reverse Flash that killed Barry's mother. I think he's the Flash that was FIGHTING Reverse Flash in that little flash back.

Oh wow, that's awesome to think about, but it might just be an easter egg.  I really hope not though!  I was wondering where I saw Amanda Pays before.

The 90's Flash wasn't bad, but it never had a chance to get up to speed *ahem*.  This new show blows it away.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: December 12, 2014, 07:07:13 PM

Anyone rememeber anything about that show?  What were the comic words they used to explain the powers...?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #87 on: December 12, 2014, 08:22:58 PM

Lighting strike throws him into chemicals was the  backstory. Don't remember the exact words.

Oh hey there were no words. Thanks youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH7-kn_qVAE

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: December 12, 2014, 08:36:27 PM

There's a picture going around that's kind of hard to make out but it shows Firestorm in a costume of some kind, so they're going to go full superhero with this. Maybe looking for a third show?
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: December 12, 2014, 08:55:55 PM

Robbie Amell posted that Firestorm pic on Facebook or Twitter.  It is dark on purpose, but it looks awesome.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: December 12, 2014, 09:08:35 PM

Good pic - I wonder if it gets any special effects before air?

I don't think they want to be bound by the first series trappings given the Wikipedia episode summaries I read.  If they - against al odds - decided to incorporate the prior series, I think they'd keep the references to the old show very vague and not delve into the details too much... sort of a 'you can decide for yourself whether the old show is part of this universe or not'.  Or, they could establish that it takes place in an alternate universe...

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: December 13, 2014, 07:49:06 AM

Good pic - I wonder if it gets any special effects before air?

I don't think they want to be bound by the first series trappings given the Wikipedia episode summaries I read.  If they - against al odds - decided to incorporate the prior series, I think they'd keep the references to the old show very vague and not delve into the details too much... sort of a 'you can decide for yourself whether the old show is part of this universe or not'.  Or, they could establish that it takes place in an alternate universe...

The more we see the more I'm inclined to think it's exactly this.  Frankly that's the best way to do it, keep the past show a sort of mythology where no one can ever really confirm every little detail but know the bones of the stories were true.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: December 13, 2014, 08:34:44 AM

I'm pretty sure that Firestorm is not going to have flaming hair every time he appears. That's pretty much a quick route to "This series' effects cost too much". (Or it's close cousin, "Wow that looks cheap.")
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #93 on: December 13, 2014, 11:15:37 AM

Pft. Ligher fluid's cheap.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: December 13, 2014, 02:07:33 PM

I'm pretty sure that Firestorm is not going to have flaming hair every time he appears. That's pretty much a quick route to "This series' effects cost too much". (Or it's close cousin, "Wow that looks cheap.")
I think there is a good chance we see a lot of little Arnell's real face, but I think we see a lot of flame-head as well.  The flaming effect doesn't need to be that expensive of an effect if they do a lot of distance shots. 

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #95 on: December 13, 2014, 03:42:20 PM

Even if they don't, effects like that are pretty cheap these days. They're not creating a custom model and mapping it to an actor's movements on a weekly basis, they're masking part of his head with a layer in After Effects or something similar.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: December 13, 2014, 09:36:00 PM

Even if they don't, effects like that are pretty cheap these days. They're not creating a custom model and mapping it to an actor's movements on a weekly basis, they're masking part of his head with a layer in After Effects or something similar.
They also did some nice work on lighting the surrounding area around the actor somehow...

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: December 16, 2014, 04:42:36 AM

On the spoiler speculation
I kind of like the time travel element they've pulled into this and it's going to be interesting to see if they resolve it without everything being clownshoes.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: December 16, 2014, 09:36:26 AM

I'm nervous about the Time Travel aspect.  It is really hard to pull off a character that can literally go back and change results if he doesn't like them.  The only time travel show I liked - so far - was Journeyman.  I'm hoping this show is a second.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: December 16, 2014, 10:24:41 PM

I'm nervous about the Time Travel aspect.  It is really hard to pull off a character that can literally go back and change results if he doesn't like them.  The only time travel show I liked - so far - was Journeyman.  I'm hoping this show is a second.

I get the feeling time travel in the context of this show isn't easy, else Wells wouldn't be getting confirmation from a computer on what has and hasn't changed in the timeline as happened a couple times already.  Going into the past may have even been a one way trip and his whole scheme now might be acquiring the tech to get back.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: December 17, 2014, 12:13:39 AM

It may even be that the Wells we know hasn't actually gone back in time yet but has contact with someone from the future (even himself) and is aware of future events. Nothing we've seen so far shows more than he is familiar with future tech and knows about at least one thing that's going to happen.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: December 22, 2014, 07:47:57 AM

July 24th

I'm nervous about the Time Travel aspect.  It is really hard to pull off a character that can literally go back and change results if he doesn't like them.  

Me too. It's either all time travel or it's all normal world crime fighting. I'm also nervous about the comment of metahumans appearing in Arrow. That show is Batman, Flash is Superman, and that works fine for me smiley

One thing NOT working is that is seems like the CW app isn't showing the end scenes where some major insights are prevented. For example:

That is not in the full episode video in the app it seems.

Cisco and the other girl are annoying me but no more so than the two scientist people from Agents of SHIELD, which I gave up on halfway through last season so no idea what's become of them. Wells is fantastic and Iris is getting less annoying (better than season one Laurel anyway...) I like the upbeat nature of the show in general. It's a good offset to just-nothing-ever-goes-right-Arrow  Ohhhhh, I see.

The crossover episodes were fantastic, but I'm missing all of the easter eggs you all keep talking about. Which is why I'm glad we have these threads  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Edit: oh and on that map. I always though Metropolis and Gotham were both NYC, just different parts of it (Wall Street and Midtown for Superman, bad-neighborhood-of-the-decade for Gotham, which at my age when reading the comics was like Harlem and 42nd street).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 07:49:29 AM by Darniaq »
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: December 22, 2014, 08:52:47 AM

...Cisco and the other girl are annoying me but no more so than the two scientist people from Agents of SHIELD, which I gave up on halfway through last season so no idea what's become of them. ...
The show has been much better since the events of Cap 2.  Much.  I always liked it, but a lot of people that gave up on it mid-season 1 came back and are glad they did.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: December 22, 2014, 01:02:35 PM

Hmm, ok. Caught up on everything else over the weekend, so will queue up some Agents. Should I start just with this season or is there an episode in last season I should start with (assuming it'll lead up to a season finale that sets up this season)?
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: December 23, 2014, 03:44:10 PM

Hmm, ok. Caught up on everything else over the weekend, so will queue up some Agents. Should I start just with this season or is there an episode in last season I should start with (assuming it'll lead up to a season finale that sets up this season)?

For AoS? I'd say watch the pilot episode and then the last three episodes of Season 1. Skip everything in the middle.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Flash  
Jump to: