Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:27:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: The Old Republic, now an even better single-player game. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Old Republic, now an even better single-player game.  (Read 177481 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: October 28, 2015, 02:55:07 PM

So I can sell that shit then ?  After I make sure my chars are, you know, dressed and whatnot ?

(seriously, naked people.  Arg...)

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #246 on: October 28, 2015, 05:46:17 PM

Makes for some funny initial appearances. Hey there, naked Vette!

And now they're upgrading the servers to handle the capacity. I'd say we're not alone in appreciating the changes here. Not sure how long-lived it will be, but maybe with the mouse behind it the game will get teh love it deserves.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: October 29, 2015, 04:26:16 AM

Ok, with that in mind :

1 - Why do my companions still have gear boxes ?  Why is my mail now Flooded with Gear and other shit that, er, I would guess used to be elsewhere ?

3 - I opened up my tradeskills and realised I have no clue what any of the armorsmithing stuff of which I have a shitload DOES anymore.  :D

1 - As mentioned, companions have gear boxes so you can put whatever gear you like on them. Yes, you can sell the gear. Or keep some of it if you like the look of it (Imperial Officers unifoms for example). Another change for playing dress up since you last logged in is the appearance tab on your character sheet - works similar to how it does in LOTRO (but if you've never played that then, well, good luck.)

3 - Crafting is the only real part of the update that I'm not liking and think they've dropped the ball on. Basically, they've moved all old crafting schematics to an Archive so they can still be created to use or for level up. Main changes to crafting are that a) you have to create components using the basic crafting mats (ie ones you gather) and then use these to craft your new schematics which are all now Prototype quality (blue). This would be great except that they also need a blue mat from one of the mission skills as well (e.g. the blue metals from Underworld Trading).  What it means is that if you previously levelled up your crafting by making green items but didn't level up your mission skill (if you had one) then you're stuffed in making anything until you level up your mission skill to the same level as well.

Not only that, but the time and resources required to make, for example, several mods for use in a moddable bit of gear is so ridiculous now that you will probably have been better off running a few heroics, getting XP and cash and buying what you need on the GTN. Or just go with the green mods from the vendor.

On the plus side, RE-ing is less confusing as it only creates a single schematic from an item (an improved version - not multiple versions thereof) and has been upped to 60% chance of success. Although then you have to rely on the RNG gods to get the relevant purple materials from your mission skill so really, what's the point?

Still on the same server btw so if you come back to that, look me up if you need anything. May be on the Pub side for a bit though.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: October 29, 2015, 08:41:17 AM

Aren't I still in your guild ?  When I logged on, some of the peeps were lurking around....

Or possible I'm wrong.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: October 29, 2015, 09:17:34 AM

Yes, I think you are. And yes, there has been activity as of late. At least two of us, sometimes 3 at any one time.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: October 29, 2015, 11:29:27 AM

I agree that the crafting changes are a bit odd, given the relaxing of things everywhere else. I did end up making a suit of blues for the two characters I'm playing (jugg and guardian so I don't mess up the playstyle when switching) that was better than rewards/drops. But that's mostly because I'm so overleveled for the zones I'm in. Playing two characters isn't too horrid because I can do most of my synthweaving subcombines while I'm playing the other character (who has artifice).
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: October 29, 2015, 11:44:35 AM

Your mail is full of gear because they returned all the gear you had on the non-human companions, and all the implants / ear pieces.

I just leveled up Armormech, Armstech, Synthweaving 0 to 450 for about 800k credits each (before, it would have taken 4+ million to get blue schematics reverse engineered).  Companions don't need mods at all, their gear is just for looks, so now I only have to create mods for my character, rather than character + 3 companions (healer, tank, DPS).  To me it looks like a huge improvement.  The blue mats should be as cheap as before; I have storage-tabs full of them and can't seem to sell them.

12x XP for class quests - I don't know if it's exactly 12x, but basically you can level up on just the class quests, so it should be around that.  Except it's no longer a server-wide limited-time promo, so now the 25% XP consummables should work with it.  So 15x XP.

Legacy teleport abilities - to fleet, to ship, to capital city etc, are now spammable with no cooldown.
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: October 29, 2015, 11:56:12 AM

Is the new story individualized for each class or a a one size fits all like Makeb? I left because they gave up on the class storylines and weren't going to add any to the companions. I had the free time to do all the class stories, level the tradeskills and equip all my companions so the gameplay changes aren't going to draw me back.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #253 on: October 29, 2015, 01:16:46 PM

I believe it was one size fits all, according to an earlier post.  Maybe a separate "choose your own darkside" path but it wasn't class-based.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: October 29, 2015, 07:02:52 PM

I just spent four pleasant hours finishing the sith inquisitor quest line on Alderaan.  Very nice.  They have moved some quests around and things flow very well.  Crafting I like so far but haven't dug into it as Drac One has though.  Am I weird that I try to level all three of my crafts at the same time?  For some reason I still haven't started the new expansion story, guess I'm still tinkering around.  I have a level 60, but need to decide what class I'll take for my free 60.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: October 29, 2015, 08:07:44 PM

I just spent four pleasant hours finishing the sith inquisitor quest line on Alderaan.  Very nice.  They have moved some quests around and things flow very well.  Crafting I like so far but haven't dug into it as Drac One has though.  Am I weird that I try to level all three of my crafts at the same time?  For some reason I still haven't started the new expansion story, guess I'm still tinkering around.  I have a level 60, but need to decide what class I'll take for my free 60.

I try to level all 3 at the same time, but it can be a pain unless you are actually taking the time to harvest and stuff while not actively leveling.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: October 29, 2015, 08:28:10 PM

I usually level gathering and mission while adventuring, then crafting while playing the other character. If I get way ahead on the other two I might switch those two minions to crafting while I adventure (I only have 3 companions on each char right now).

Also, I'm perpetually broke so buying all new crafting recipes sucks :)
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: October 29, 2015, 10:10:52 PM

I just blew all my money expanding my stronghold, but I forgot they added the Yavin one.. now I want that.  :(
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: October 30, 2015, 08:24:40 AM

Someone please explain how strongholds are better than the personal ship with all the enhancements.  Should I bother with strongholds?  They don't sound cost-effective.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: October 30, 2015, 11:09:28 AM

What enhancements on the ship? I like the stronghold because it is a cheap teleport base with GTN, bank and legacy bank. Then I can port back to the planet I was on, or my ship or the fleet.

I can't afford to unlock those legacy ports on all my characters, especially when I have a free port with the stronghold. Also, it looks cool.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: October 30, 2015, 11:19:32 AM

Someone please explain how strongholds are better than the personal ship with all the enhancements.  Should I bother with strongholds?  They don't sound cost-effective.

Strongholds are kinda fluff but that's where the Legacy bank is for your characters. 
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: October 30, 2015, 01:17:58 PM

Ok, I THINK I have the hang of this now.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: October 30, 2015, 01:47:03 PM

Strongholds are kinda fluff but that's where the Legacy bank is for your characters. 

Mail, bank, legacy bank and GTN; plus easy ports to fleet, last planet, ship and Kaas. And I can click a button from anywhere and load in directly in front of that wall. I use it a LOT, one of the best things about the game before this expansion.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: October 30, 2015, 02:16:48 PM

You can get a Courscant/Drommund Kas house for 5k credits and the little intro to housing quest gives you all the basic utility shit like banks and mailbox and junk. One you have a house you can port to it from anywhere and then return to the exact spot you ported out from (or go to ship/fleet/planet the house is on).

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: October 30, 2015, 02:23:17 PM

You can get a Courscant/Drommund Kas house for 5k credits and the little intro to housing quest gives you all the basic utility shit like banks and mailbox and junk. One you have a house you can port to it from anywhere and then return to the exact spot you ported out from (or go to ship/fleet/planet the house is on).

And if you stick the decoration vendor there you also have a merchant you can port to, unload your shit on, then port back to exactly where you were standing and keep playing. This game has come a long way in QOL stuff.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: October 30, 2015, 04:53:06 PM

So, legacy bank and the ability to teleport back to where I was questing.  Thank you.

My ship already has mail, bank, GTN, droid vendor, and my legacy already has no-cooldown teleport to quest hubs, ship, fleet, capital, etc.  And with legacy-wide max inventory space + 3 bank tabs, and 6 tradeskill alts, I can go through a whole planet before needing to stop and vendor. 

But if it's only 5k to unlock, I guess I'll check it out.  Thanks again.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: October 30, 2015, 06:18:07 PM

Also as far as housing systems go, it's pretty good.  Not sure if that tickles your pickle or not.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #267 on: October 30, 2015, 06:35:34 PM

I just couldn't get past how a luxury apartment in the very heart of galactic civilization costs 5k to get, while a mud hud in Buttfuck, Tantooine has the price tag of something like few millions. Though I guess it explains why one is crazily overpopulated and the other remains Buttfuck, Tantooine.  swamp poop
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: October 30, 2015, 06:53:15 PM

I just couldn't get past how a luxury apartment in the very heart of galactic civilization costs 5k to get, while a mud hud in Buttfuck, Tantooine has the price tag of something like few millions. Though I guess it explains why one is crazily overpopulated and the other remains Buttfuck, Tantooine.  swamp poop

It's more about the size and the popularity of the location really.  Tatooine is way bigger than the core worlds ones.  I haven't seen the Yavin one yet personally.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #269 on: October 30, 2015, 08:33:23 PM

I have the Yavin one. Reminds me of SWG, which makes me sad.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 09:31:30 PM by Surlyboi »

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: October 30, 2015, 09:17:38 PM

I have te Yavin one. Reminds me of SWG, which makes me sad.

Sooo your home is infested by Killiks?
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #271 on: October 30, 2015, 09:31:48 PM

Woolamanders.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: November 05, 2015, 06:22:12 PM

One shitty byproduct of the crafting changes: I can't use common crafting mats as well with Artifice/Synthweaving, since the new 'combo material' thing is specific to the craft that made it. I've been leveling on making those, and then was curious why my Synthweaver ran out when my Artificer had been pumping them out...dammit. Now I've used up a shitload of mats making Artifice combomats that I don't need and my Synthweaver is SOL.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: November 06, 2015, 03:35:06 AM

Check the GTN, people are selling their surplus.   Limit to crafting materials, archeology, and search for synth and/or the power crystal name.  Or wait till the weekend; someone's trying to control the GTN but come the weekend it should be swamped with low priced mats. 

Although, it IS harder to gather now, because of the level sync thing; you have to fight mobs on each planet at matching difficulty in order to gather.  So mat prices won't crash for a while.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: November 06, 2015, 08:10:07 AM

Yup, noticed that on my gathering main. Was hoping to gather on my Jugg as I leveled him, but tafa 12x exp means I'm almost 10 levels over the planet I'm questing on. I mean, technically I don't need level-appropriate gear, but forgetting I have a gathering lvl 55, there is a pretty hard cap on progressing crafting skills since you get so far behind in ability to gather that making level-appropriate gear is no longer possible. Just a kind of weird situation.

The new reverse engineering being back like the original reverse engineering seems much nicer initially, though. I forgot how bad that had gotten as well, my first crafter from launch (armormech) had a ton of purple recipes as he leveled and RE'd items. Then they changed it and I pretty much gave up as I burned through so many mats.

I don't GTN, I'm a pauper.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: November 06, 2015, 08:40:31 AM

Yup, noticed that on my gathering main. Was hoping to gather on my Jugg as I leveled him, but tafa 12x exp means I'm almost 10 levels over the planet I'm questing on. I mean, technically I don't need level-appropriate gear, but forgetting I have a gathering lvl 55, there is a pretty hard cap on progressing crafting skills since you get so far behind in ability to gather that making level-appropriate gear is no longer possible. Just a kind of weird situation.

They changed gathering though so you can gather any node you like regardless of your skill level - eg even if your skill was 55, you could harvest on Corellia. That now only affects how much you get from a node - just means you need to harvest more nodes. Not only that but you get both types of mats from a node - so harvesting a crystal will give you crystal and an artifact piece. (The exception to this may be harvesting from mobs where you sometimes only get one type of material - at least with bio).

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: November 06, 2015, 02:24:03 PM

Right, but my skill is too high to gain increases from Nar Shadaa, where my lvl 35ish Jugg just finished up.  I could go to the next higher planet just to harvest, but being able to harvest at a higher crew skill level doesn't help me at all that I can see, as the planets I'm playing on are all grey harvests. Getting more stuff from each node is really nice, though!

I may have to break out my gatherer, who is at least an Assassin and can sneak past most mobs to harvest, mitigating the level thing. But I hate to do that, since I want to actually, you know, play the character I'm currently playing who has the skill I am using. Also doesn't help the Jugg get the mission/bought component, since he's crew skill capped a level below what he needs for that mission...

Just seems like a weird wall to hit when most things are about removing walls like that.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #277 on: November 09, 2015, 07:58:25 AM

Oh god, Jedi Consular has got to be the worst of all Republic story.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: November 09, 2015, 02:21:28 PM

It's easily the worst class story in the game, period. If I blow a token to get someone straight to 60, it'll be for that.

The best thing about it was that its bland terribleness made my Trooper's story (a friend and I were duoing a Sage and Vanguard) look amazing by comparison.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: November 09, 2015, 07:48:22 PM

IMO, there's a very big disconnect between the story and the gameplay for Consular.  Story cutscenes make you look more powerful than Yoda at force telekinetics and force persuade, but your actual combat power is on par with the blaster classes (for game balance, I guess).   It probably would have worked ok as a single-player story where in-game combat abilities could match the power shown by the cutscene videos, without the "balanced for PVP" design decisions.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: The Old Republic, now an even better single-player game.  
Jump to: