Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:19:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: The Old Republic, now an even better single-player game. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Old Republic, now an even better single-player game.  (Read 178236 times)
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: October 02, 2015, 11:51:39 AM

I personally don't have an issue with this.  You are still pretty OP compared to real level people.  This just seems to be the newest "OMG CHANGE, DOOM, KILL IT WITH FIRE" issue of the week.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #211 on: October 02, 2015, 02:12:21 PM

It seems like it will negatively impact the way I play, I try to stay just at the limit of getting xp from an area, because I solo a lot. Thus I can do a lot of 2 man heroics solo.

If I could craft myself OP gear I'd be better about the change, but the crafting system is sooo shitty in SWTOR. Trying to gear up my alts is usually what makes me quit a run.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: October 03, 2015, 06:49:02 AM

It seems like it will negatively impact the way I play, I try to stay just at the limit of getting xp from an area, because I solo a lot. Thus I can do a lot of 2 man heroics solo.

If I could craft myself OP gear I'd be better about the change, but the crafting system is sooo shitty in SWTOR. Trying to gear up my alts is usually what makes me quit a run.

If you outlevel a zone then the down-syncing puts you at the highest possible level you can be while still able to earn xp - essentially the way you play it. The advantage is that you can stay on a planet and keep earning xp if you want because of this new system. Or just move on like you would do now. The livestream showing this also showed the guy soloing a heroic mission easily so there's that.

Also, changes to crafting are coming in that mean all the items will be blue level and adaptive so any class can use them and it's easier to stay geared. (And you won't need to gear companions now either).

There's a load of stuff not mentioned in that article as well - like the upscaling for Operations, Tactical Mode flashpoints and so on - but why let facts get in the way of a good rant?

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: October 03, 2015, 08:58:04 AM

I don't mind the facts at all! Don't stuff me with your straw!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

In light of that info, I have now waffled over to liking the changes.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

edit: so no more ability to craft purple gear? It was pretty much my best route to good gear as a solo player, as much as it was a horrific grind that had to be repeated every 10-15 levels per armor type...). How about the purple reusable stims/adrenals/etc?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 08:59:48 AM by Sky »
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: October 03, 2015, 09:19:17 AM

Won't have to gear companions?  Thank the Maker!  I think.  It was annoying mostly.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: October 03, 2015, 02:27:52 PM

I don't mind the facts at all! Don't stuff me with your straw!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Wasn't you I was indirectly referring to, Mr Paranoid. ;)

They haven't released full details of crafting changes yet so can't answer the bit about purples. But as a solo player myself, I've never worried about it at all and levelled just fine. Then again, I also don't mind the Space Combat missions and am not averse to a bit (read quite a lot) of pvp in warzones. Multiple characters over 50 and still haven't done planet quests on Alderaan, Hoth, Voss or Corellia.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: October 03, 2015, 03:25:46 PM

I like to steamroll content as much as I can. I'm not in it for a challenge. I want to be the lightsaber-weilding bring of righteous fury. If this helps me on that path, then I like it.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: October 05, 2015, 07:55:33 PM

From what I've briefly read, they're:

- removing str, dex, wil, cu, and replacing them with a universal primary stat, so you can take the gear off any class and put it on any other class and it will work (more or less, there's still the issue of defense vs. crit, but still).
- all companions will have tank, healer, AND DPS modes, so basically pick the least annoying one and stick with it in all situations.
- companions ignore gear stats (their power is based on your level), so basically outfit them just for looks.
- if you're L60 and go to a L30 zone, you get L60 experience and keep all your powers, but do damage comparable to a L30 and probably have the health of a L30.
- search filters for your collections.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: October 05, 2015, 11:12:32 PM

So companions finally work the way they were supposed to and you can pick the one you like to companionate with rather than the healer. Nice!

That and streamlining the gear actually has me kind of excited. Still a heavy/med/light split on armor?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #219 on: October 05, 2015, 11:22:56 PM

From what I've briefly read, they're:

- removing str, dex, wil, cu, and replacing them with a universal primary stat, so you can take the gear off any class and put it on any other class and it will work (more or less, there's still the issue of defense vs. crit, but still).
- all companions will have tank, healer, AND DPS modes, so basically pick the least annoying one and stick with it in all situations.
- companions ignore gear stats (their power is based on your level), so basically outfit them just for looks.
- if you're L60 and go to a L30 zone, you get L60 experience and keep all your powers, but do damage comparable to a L30 and probably have the health of a L30.
- search filters for your collections.

Those are some really nice companion changes.  Gah, that could get me to sub again for a month.

-Rasix
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: October 06, 2015, 06:56:53 AM

Nice changes on the companions.  Finally back to the original system that they should have kept.

I am curious about what they're doing with the crafting system.  The item bloat was significant considering what you had to do to get a single purple quality recipe learned.  But that makes me wonder what is going to happen to all those recipes I spent time getting...

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: October 06, 2015, 02:54:45 PM

Technically there probably still is a heavy medium light setting on armors, but everybody uses "adaptive" ( = universal) armor sets from the cartel market, because you can get them easily (there are ugly, but super-cheap versions, on the GTN).
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: October 06, 2015, 03:15:13 PM

Nice changes on the companions.  Finally back to the original system that they should have kept.

I am curious about what they're doing with the crafting system.  The item bloat was significant considering what you had to do to get a single purple quality recipe learned.  But that makes me wonder what is going to happen to all those recipes I spent time getting...

From what I read they took out all the green items and said that everything that you can craft should be an upgrade from basic loot.

Or they could a blog today about it. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 03:20:48 PM by Evildrider »
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: October 06, 2015, 06:19:26 PM

I didn't see anything in there that outraged me, so I'll likely re-sub and check it all out.  Reduction of companion task times is good.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: October 06, 2015, 06:52:29 PM

It's not bad:

- gathering skills get crafting options, so they can be power-leveled.
- they're changing which skills can make the armorings, mods, enhancements, etc. to even them out a bit
- making something is a lot faster
- we'll have to buy and learn new recipes but the old ones will still be available

I have 3 crafters and have leveled the others as gatherers; I'll just switch them to crafters, one of each, I guess.

Stock up on mats and wait for the patch to hit and everyone to try to re-level their crafting, heh.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: October 06, 2015, 08:37:19 PM

Looks good at first blush, the only thing I don't like is the removal of the re-usable bio stuff, which I really liked a lot. I get what they were going for, but the problem is you need to be a biochem of high skill to use them, so 'making a market' for them is a false statement, unless everyone was taking biochem at higher levels? I always saw it as a perk for folks who took biochem, though I do admit everyone outside my core crafter alts had biochem to use the kits while levelling.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: October 06, 2015, 09:23:31 PM

Looks good at first blush, the only thing I don't like is the removal of the re-usable bio stuff, which I really liked a lot. I get what they were going for, but the problem is you need to be a biochem of high skill to use them, so 'making a market' for them is a false statement, unless everyone was taking biochem at higher levels? I always saw it as a perk for folks who took biochem, though I do admit everyone outside my core crafter alts had biochem to use the kits while levelling.

A majority of PvP'ers all took Biochem for the reusables.  I think at least half my characters are Biochem and slicers.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: October 06, 2015, 10:40:02 PM

Hey gang, quick (but possibly dumb question). Is that 12x XP feature still in the game, or still being left in with the X-pac. I read went a few pages back to read about it but the consensus seemed to be it was not here to stay.

If it is then I am resubbing just after (Canadian) Thanksgiving. There are several story lines I want to finish, and a few I would like to take a look through, but I hated the MMo around it.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #228 on: October 07, 2015, 05:26:55 AM

It was still in place a month ago when I last played to finish up my Sith Inquisitor and Warrior storylines. It's only available to subscribers, but since you can buy in month or two-month chunks it works better than other MMOs you forget to cancel the sub on.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: October 07, 2015, 07:04:08 AM

They're changing it so everyone can level through the story alone.  There won't be any need for the 12x bonus.

All good changes so far.  I just wish I had any desire to take advantage of them.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: October 07, 2015, 02:03:31 PM

I logged into account management two days ago to check my subscription status and saw something about extra XP; I think it's still on.
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: October 07, 2015, 02:28:53 PM

It's still on.  I used it this weekend to get 15 levels on a Republic trooper.  Important points:

1) 12X applies only to class story missions,  Not the planet story lines, not flashpoint quests, and definitely not the random "kill 12 rats" quests.

2) 12X is only for subs

3) 12X goes away when Fallen Empire launches.  It is replaced by the new system where you should be able to stay on-level by JUST doing class story and planet story missions.

The new system looks like it should functionally be the same as 12X, just maybe a little slower since you're supposed to do the planet stories as well.  Not a big deal, since the planet stories are pretty well written.  The main difference is that the scaling system means that you can't ROFLstomp -4 to -5 planets and still get passable rewards.  You'll be scaled back to the zone's power level (your HP/attack power is reduced), but you'll still have all the powers available due to your level.  And you get rewards based on your level (that is, better rewards that someone doing it on-level).  Remarkably similar to the way Guild Wars 2 handles overlevelled characters in zones. 

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: October 07, 2015, 07:20:17 PM

I think, for alts, it's more about skipping Taris and a couple other annoying planets than it is about roflstomping anything.  Which the new system allows.  I also read a patch note that they'll let us create new characters that are already level 60.  Which skips all the planets.

No more Esseles / Black Talon speed runs for social points, though.  
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: October 07, 2015, 07:36:20 PM

I think, for alts, it's more about skipping Taris and a couple other annoying planets than it is about roflstomping anything.  Which the new system allows.  I also read a patch note that they'll let us create new characters that are already level 60.  Which skips all the planets.

No more Esseles / Black Talon speed runs for social points, though.  

Subs get 1 Level 60, I think you can then buy more with Cartel Coins.  Not sure on that second part.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: October 22, 2015, 06:42:33 PM

New expansion has been pretty fun so far.  First time in awhile that I got sucked into playing for 4-5 hours straight.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: October 22, 2015, 08:26:50 PM

I'm just playing a lowbie but it's sooo much better. Tons of QoL improvements and the ability to choose whichever companion you want rather than be stuck with the one that matches your build is finally fixing one of the most bone-headed pre-launch decisions.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: October 23, 2015, 03:06:30 AM

For the folks who hate daily quests, the weekly heroic missions on the fleet are a great alternative.

Little to no travel time (they give you a teleport item) and the down leveling scaling makes them very soloable and quick. I did the four Courscant heroics and their associated bonus quests in like 15-20 minutes and made 100k and tons of XP and shit. Some planets have more quests, others less, do whichever amount you'd like where ever, since you can just teleport to your next one!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: October 23, 2015, 03:32:49 AM

Im really enjoying the new story driven content, easily got sucked in for hours.  Also really like the companion changes. 
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: October 23, 2015, 02:34:39 PM

Sword Coast Legends was supposed to trump this, but since it's a dumpster fire, looks like I'm going back to SWTOR.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: October 27, 2015, 02:24:18 PM

This is probably the 4th time now I've reinstalled this, logged on and been utterly clueless about how it all works again.

Would I really, really regret starting entirely again ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: October 27, 2015, 05:31:12 PM

Nope, it's much better now, assuming you like teh story bits. They've probably gone overboard easing things up now, but it's way more conducive to seeing the story content.

The companion changes alone are great. Both in the execution of the original vision of each companion can heal, dps or tank and they were saying something about now they have a chance to die (in the new expansion content, I'd assume, story-based death). Also, solo flashpoints!

If you like games to be a tough challenge, maybe not. But there are other games for that, this game is now what I think it should've been at launch. They also took out a LOT of gear, with promises to trickle it back in through various means. But for now, variety in low-mid level gear has taken a major hit. In the long run it should be cool, since the changes are otherwise massively positive (no more ditching heavy armor with aim when you needed str, for instance). Pretty much anyone can wear anything now. And gear is only cosmetic on companions, so no dicking around trying to gear several companions - since you can now take out whomever you like since they can fit your character's role.

And yes, there is a ton of confusing crap. I don't know what half of it is. I want to try solo Hammer Station FP but can only find the group tactical version, for instance.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #241 on: October 27, 2015, 08:46:37 PM

Actually broke away from Destiny for a few days to play this. The changes are good and the new story isn't horrible.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: October 28, 2015, 12:45:30 PM

This is probably the 4th time now I've reinstalled this, logged on and been utterly clueless about how it all works again.

Would I really, really regret starting entirely again ?

Changes that affect levelling new characters:

- you only need to gear yourself, not the companions
- each companion can function as tank, healer, or DPS, your pick, and it can be changed on the fly
- revamped tradeskills + much less costly to level up trade skills = you can either find cheap armor / weapons for yourself, or make some alts for manufacturing
- class and planet missions give, basically, 12x XP, allowing you to ignore all other side missions (you have to actually enable the side missions to even see them)
- heroics are all 2+ (no more 4+) and you always get a teleport-to-location item when you accept the mission
- if you're level 50+ and go to the starter planet and fight there / do missions, your level will be matched to the monsters, but you'll get level 50+ experience, so basically do whatever you want, and you'll still level up fast

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: October 28, 2015, 12:54:36 PM

Ok, with that in mind :

1 - Why do my companions still have gear boxes ?  Why is my mail now Flooded with Gear and other shit that, er, I would guess used to be elsewhere ?
2 - Yup, that one looks good.
3 - I opened up my tradeskills and realised I have no clue what any of the armorsmithing stuff of which I have a shitload DOES anymore.  :D
4 - 12x XP ?  Holy fuckballs.
5 - Nice.
6 - Nice.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: October 28, 2015, 12:59:40 PM

Ok, with that in mind :

1 - Why do my companions still have gear boxes ?  Why is my mail now Flooded with Gear and other shit that, er, I would guess used to be elsewhere ?
2 - Yup, that one looks good.
3 - I opened up my tradeskills and realised I have no clue what any of the armorsmithing stuff of which I have a shitload DOES anymore.  :D
4 - 12x XP ?  Holy fuckballs.
5 - Nice.
6 - Nice.

Any boxes you have left are there for appearance. 

Also all that stuff in your mail is your companions gear that was stripped off.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: The Old Republic, now an even better single-player game.  
Jump to: