Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:13:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: The Old Republic, now an even better single-player game. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Old Republic, now an even better single-player game.  (Read 178510 times)
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: June 23, 2015, 01:27:46 PM

I'm no role-player. I don't spray thees and thous about the room like a crazed renaissance festival promoter flailing around a turkey leg. But my character's name is important, it's my identity. I don't get people who name their characters "Billspally" and such. I'd be bummed too.

I try and use obscure names and locations from Dune in every game I play.  I'm surprised at how often my first choice is taken.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #176 on: June 23, 2015, 01:28:08 PM

Is it sad that I am still so bitter and angry that I lost my characters name in the first (forced) server merger that I refuse to return?
No, it's not.  The name is one of the most important parts about an RPG character.

Yeah losing Paelos would be enough for me to say fuck it. I'm out.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: June 23, 2015, 02:29:40 PM

I'm no role-player. I don't spray thees and thous about the room like a crazed renaissance festival promoter flailing around a turkey leg. But my character's name is important, it's my identity. I don't get people who name their characters "Billspally" and such. I'd be bummed too.

People who do that are pretentious, not role players. But way to push the stereotype there!

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: June 23, 2015, 02:43:13 PM

They identify as roleplayers. These are the people that complain when you talk about out of character stuff like game mechanics. Diff'rent strokes, let them have their fun, that's not my point.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #179 on: June 23, 2015, 04:24:33 PM

Is it sad that I am still so bitter and angry that I lost my characters name in the first (forced) server merger that I refuse to return?

Try changing it. I lost two of my names in the merge and then logged in a few months later and got them back because the shitbags that stole them burned out. You might be that lucky too.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: June 24, 2015, 06:25:48 AM

I really don't care what my name is, I end up adding a letter or whatever to the name. If I can't get Draegan, it doesn't ruin the game for me. The game being a piece of shit ruins the game for me.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #181 on: June 24, 2015, 07:23:59 AM

While I did go back and play a bit, I couldn't play the characters that lost their names. It was especially bad because I had the CE and got in early and got the names I wanted for the first time, ever.

After all these years, my first thought reading that press release is, "Shit, I better log in so I don't lose my names."

That was a giant asshole move. I actually really love the game other than not being in a group of folks who can tackle the group/raid content (and that's more my lifestyle than lack of options, probably).
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #182 on: June 24, 2015, 02:36:43 PM

Note that sometimes the names are flagged for rename just as a consequence of the process and not because they're taken; during one of the merges I was able to immediately rename a character to the same thing he had before.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: June 30, 2015, 12:26:44 PM

No, it's not.  The name is one of the most important parts about an RPG character.

Yeah losing Paelos would be enough for me to say fuck it. I'm out.

I had a great name too: D'Artagnan (I got the CE so I had early access and could scope out the name i wanted).  People knew me by name and stuff, especially in PvP.  Then *boom* forced server merger no name for you (I couldn't get "amiable" either).  I thought it was petty at the time but now I am even more adamant that they could f right off.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 12:28:58 PM by amiable »
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: July 01, 2015, 06:59:37 AM

You guys focus on some seriously trivial shit, I've gotta say.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: July 01, 2015, 08:42:10 AM

It's a video game discussion forum.  it's ALL trivial shit.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: July 01, 2015, 10:31:29 AM

I'm not sure which of these I like best, so just pick your favorite!

Snark 1
So you don't give a shit about your char name and other people do?!  Next you'll be pointing out that you only like the games you like and for the reasons that you like them!

I guess I should just be thankful that you care enough to tell us about your disdain for our attachment to our character names.  YOU DO CARE!

Snark 2
You know, now that I know your disdain for my attachement for my character names... I, (sob!) I, feel like a huge weight has been lifted!  I'm free! FREE I TELL YOU! FREE FROM THE TYRANNY MY CHAR NAMES HAVE HELD OVER ME!  Scold, I can't thank you enough!  Thank you!

Snark 3
Awesome post, so delighted that you shared with us your innermost feelings.  Go fuck yourself.

4Reals
In a silly mood today, don't take this post too seriously.  Mostly though, what part of different strokes for different folks is confusing to you?
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: July 01, 2015, 02:50:27 PM

Meh, if you like a game enough then losing a name shouldn't matter.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: July 01, 2015, 07:54:59 PM

The problem is most of these games are so-so and losing a name you have come to associate with a character in that setting is enough to make the so-so not worth it.

That server merges are necessary can tell you it's already having problems, so doing anything that might hurt retention or returns is stupid.  Especially when ways to allow multiple people to have the same character name is a solved problem.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #189 on: July 02, 2015, 06:37:32 AM

Meh, if you like a game enough then losing a name shouldn't matter.

MMOs aren't good enough games to stand on their own. That's why you need an identity. Removing that identity and the framework of friends from an MMO exposes the lackluster actual gameplay behind it.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: July 03, 2015, 06:23:37 AM

You heard it here first. Putting an extra letter in your name somewhere forces you to lose all your friends.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #191 on: July 03, 2015, 09:18:10 AM

People were rather accepting of Rasixx, Rasir, and Rastrix.  People even figured out who I was.  shocked

I'm not playing SWTOR, because for some reason the game just doesn't work for me.  I like the story.  I like the voice acting.  I love the companions.  But the world, quest structure, and combat mechanics grate on me a little too much to put any significant time in.  Plus the social contingent, while nice people that I enjoy playing with, weren't active enough when I'm on.

While not the case in the past, I just can't play MMOs if I don't have people to play with on a consistent basis.  Back in the WoW/EQ/UO days I could solo 100% of the time and be fine.  Now I just get bored.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 09:24:24 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: July 03, 2015, 11:31:40 AM

The problem is most of these games are so-so and losing a name you have come to associate with a character in that setting is enough to make the so-so not worth it.

That server merges are necessary can tell you it's already having problems, so doing anything that might hurt retention or returns is stupid.  Especially when ways to allow multiple people to have the same character name is a solved problem.

Why would you invest more than 15 minutes in a game you only thought was so so? YOLO, as it were.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: July 04, 2015, 07:17:40 AM

Sometimes one has to play a game a bit to realize there is nothing super exciting about it, a sense of not wanting to waste a purchase, friends and social circles making it feel better than it is, OCD... there are tons of reasons that may make us think a game is better than it really is.  But my question was viewing it from the perspective of the company selling the product anyways.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: July 21, 2015, 04:51:44 PM

Kind of OT but KOTOR II has... uh.. gotten an official update??

http://steamed.kotaku.com/ten-years-later-star-wars-kotor-ii-gets-an-official-up-1719284362

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II—the best KOTOR—just got a huge update, for some reason.

The update just dropped on Steam for PC, Mac, and Linux. It’s a doozy—at least, for a game that’s more than ten years old.

New features include:

37 achievements to be earned through gameplay
        Steam Cloud saves
        Native widescreen resolution support
        Resolution support up to 4K and 5K
        Support for controllers, including Xbox 360, Xbox One, Playstation 3, and Playstation 4, along with several others (check the system requirements for details)
        Steam Workshop support! We proudly worked with the Restored Content Mod Team to have their famous TSLRCM up on launch day
        Oh... and we added a “Force Speed Effects” option in the menu ;)

For those not in the know, the Restored Content Mod is a years-spanning project that aims to return the game to its proper form—rather than the sloppy, stitched together version that was originally released due to publisher pressure and time constraints. The mod adds a handful of endings and the infamous HK Factory—among many other things—and fixes hundreds of bugs. It’s a must-download, and it’s now easy to access on KOTOR II’s Steam Workshop.

The update comes as a surprise, given that KOTOR II hasn’t been updated in ages. I reached out to Aspyr Media—who handled the update—to find out why this happened now, but as of press time they’d yet to respond. I, however, don’t plan on looking a gift bantha in the mouth, because bantha mouths are gross. Also because KOTOR II is an amazing RPG, and now it’s better than ever. Think you’ll dive back in?

I hyave to admit I loved KOTOR II even in the buggy mess state it was so I'll probably check it out.

Hic sunt dracones.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: July 21, 2015, 06:22:46 PM

I hope that asshole who was running the big resto mod before he got pissy and took his toys just fucking chokes on this new version.

And I want to play it, I was waiting for that stupid resto mod for years to play it.

edit: reading the Steam page reminded me...the Force seems to be with Disney's ownership of the SW license. Lucas should've sold it after Jedi, but at least there's....A NEW HOPE

BWAHAHA
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 06:24:42 PM by Sky »
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: July 21, 2015, 06:38:21 PM

I am wondering if this is also because of the huge development push in SWTOR.  Especially with the new expansion.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #197 on: July 21, 2015, 06:42:21 PM

Huh, that's very unexpected.
Oh well, I don't own it on Steam anyway.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: July 22, 2015, 04:20:53 PM

Huh, that's very unexpected.
Oh well, I don't own it on Steam anyway.
Awesome. A friend gifted me the game a while ago and I've played the first but not the second.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #199 on: July 24, 2015, 07:42:36 PM

Hopped back in to KOTORO for a bit to finish out some storylines. Paid for 60 days gametime and am regretting it a bit. It's STILL a massive timesink even running just the class storylines and I'd forgotten about all the running. So. Much. Pointless. Running.  Shrinking it to just class storylines makes it even worse as you do one quest per flight point then run to the next area.  Argh

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: July 24, 2015, 08:16:03 PM

Remember your quick travel cooldown is pretty quick now.  You may still have to get to the mission, but you should be able to quick travel back as soon as your done.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: July 27, 2015, 02:09:54 PM

Remember your quick travel cooldown is pretty quick now.  You may still have to get to the mission, but you should be able to quick travel back as soon as your done.

THIS! I have been forcing myself to make sure to rebind to the biggest hub on the planet I am jetting through. The quick travel recast is I think 6 minutes so it should always be up every time you finish a class quest this halves the amount of running you should be doing.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: July 27, 2015, 11:28:17 PM

Remember your quick travel cooldown is pretty quick now.  You may still have to get to the mission, but you should be able to quick travel back as soon as your done.

THIS! I have been forcing myself to make sure to rebind to the biggest hub on the planet I am jetting through. The quick travel recast is I think 6 minutes so it should always be up every time you finish a class quest this halves the amount of running you should be doing.

My quick travel is instant and all the binds points are unlocking automatically when I run past them. It makes getting around on a planet a breeze.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: July 30, 2015, 06:12:29 AM

Remember your quick travel cooldown is pretty quick now.  You may still have to get to the mission, but you should be able to quick travel back as soon as your done.

My quick travel is instant and all the binds points are unlocking automatically when I run past them. It makes getting around on a planet a breeze.

Yeah, you don't have to bind a single goddamn thing. Speeder routes pre opened too
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: October 01, 2015, 09:26:59 PM

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: October 01, 2015, 11:06:46 PM

Why the ever-loving monkey fuck would they do that?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: October 01, 2015, 11:22:12 PM

It's still a great game but that's duuuumb. Kick in the nuts for solo players.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: October 01, 2015, 11:27:52 PM

They down-level your power but up-level the rewards, so your always getting money/XP/items useful to your level.

From what I've seen of it the down leveling is just raw stats, you keep your higher level abilities and shit, so you'd still be extremely powerful relative to an actual level 18 or whatever.

It's going to slow down my daily route though.  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: October 02, 2015, 12:06:04 AM

I never get the problem with this game of being 'too easy'
I mean, I love getting my friend involved for a quick story run so we can melt through the content quickly.
Goes for those instance dungeons too, since we can actually get Lv 30 content down with a pair of Lv 25 and Lv 50 in elite missions without worrying of finding other people to grp with. I have like a friend to duo with on regular basis when I was active and enjoyed the whole 'I help you and you help me' runs on our alts.

Now that both of us are unable to bail each other out in those dungeon / elite mission runs anymore, what's the point really? Forcing people to make friends with 2 strangers in an already shrinking player base is just not a good addition to the game.

Also, I fucking hate GW2 downscaling bullshit. You should upscale people to get ppl more involved in high level content without grinding, not the other way around, retards.
What's the inclination of level 40 player in helping out a lvl 20 in a lower level planet? It's a favor, that's fast, easy and fun to spend time with socializing while killing trash. The high-level players didn't do it for the challenge or reward, MMOdevs.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 12:12:05 AM by rk47 »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: October 02, 2015, 12:31:01 AM

The guy suggesting a switch for the feature is onto something. Win/win.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: The Old Republic, now an even better single-player game.  
Jump to: