Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:27:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2014 College Football 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014 College Football  (Read 78557 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #140 on: November 08, 2014, 05:37:47 PM

That's not one I expected them to lose. Still, makes me happy since they were a fraud and everyone knew it.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #141 on: November 08, 2014, 05:38:25 PM

And yet this won't hurt the value of Alabama's win over Auburn should they win. It probably helped all the SEC teams that beat A&M (now that win is worth something) because all loses in conference play for the SEC are quality losses against top opposition.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #142 on: November 08, 2014, 05:39:55 PM

And yet this won't hurt the value of Alabama's win over Auburn should they win. It probably helped all the SEC teams that beat A&M because all loses in conference play for the SEC are quality losses against top opposition.

If Alabama loses to MS State it won't matter what happens with Auburn. You keep thinking they are going to put two SEC teams in. They aren't. This stuff solves itself in the meatgrinder.

Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: November 08, 2014, 07:58:28 PM

Yeah I'm an Ohio State homer but I think this JT Barrett kid is gonna be pretty good. 232 yards passing and 4 TD's (2 rushing 2 passing) against Michigan State at the half. Just wish Meyer had some semblance of a defense.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #144 on: November 08, 2014, 09:13:31 PM

Utah secures next week's top spot on the Not Top 10. 

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #145 on: November 08, 2014, 10:03:02 PM

The Big 10's fucked now in the playoff.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #146 on: November 08, 2014, 10:09:40 PM

Meanwhile Alabama, who needed some complete fixed officiating AND a moron of a kicker to get that win:
-calling that bullshit unsportsmanlike off the guy diving backwards off a half a shove
-that catch wasn't a catch to get the FG
-one super blatant PI and one looked like PI but that was a dumbass throw

Will get extra credit for their A&M win because A&M beat Auburn.
Will get extra credit for beating LSU because LSU taking them to OT proves they are legit (quality win over quality opponent in quality game).
Will not lose any credit for beating bitter rival Auburn despite them losing to shit A&M team.

Alabama and MSU are probably going to be 1-loss and they will both get put in. ESPN wills it.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #147 on: November 09, 2014, 12:28:26 AM

That was fucking painful. I saw it from the opposite 35 and was screaming my head off that the ball was live. Unfortunately nobody on the Utes listened to me. What a moron.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #148 on: November 09, 2014, 07:45:32 AM

Alabama and MSU are probably going to be 1-loss and they will both get put in. ESPN wills it.

You still think Alabama is going to beat MS State after what you just saw against LSU? I mean, their offense is garbage. MS State should light them up. They went to LSU and had a 34-10 lead in the 4th quarter. Then they let LSU slide back in as the defense went conservative, but they basically dominated that game. Alabama looked sloppy as hell. The committee saw their offense. I don't think Alabama has a championship offense, and it's going to get exposed in these last few games.

WayAbvPar

Reply #149 on: November 09, 2014, 06:44:58 PM

That was fucking painful. I saw it from the opposite 35 and was screaming my head off that the ball was live. Unfortunately nobody on the Utes listened to me. What a moron.

I would be hard-pressed as a coach to not at least suspend that idiot, if not boot him off the team for good. That shit is just inexcusable.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: November 15, 2014, 05:28:50 PM

Heh, speaking of inexcusable, Peterson apparently didn't think he could waste 8 seconds in 3 snaps and handed it off when he could have just run out the clock with the QB taking 3 knees. Brilliant.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Rasix

Reply #151 on: November 15, 2014, 05:35:48 PM

I'll take it.

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #152 on: November 15, 2014, 09:11:09 PM

Mississippi State forgot they were the number 1 team in the first half. By the time they figured it out, Alabama was too far ahead. Dak Prescott shit the bed. Ugh.

In other news, GO DAWGS!

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #153 on: November 15, 2014, 09:46:16 PM

How many times did Dak Prescott keep the ball up the middle on 3rd fucking down and just run straight into the goddamn line? Way, way too much of that where the QB thought the read option meant there was no other option but running into a brick wall. It was clear after the first quarter that they really weren't going to get anywhere running the ball early. Of course, when the QB keeps throwing really bad fucking balls right to the defense, throwing won't really work either now will it? Also, your defense fails at open field tackles.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #154 on: November 16, 2014, 03:57:55 AM

The SEC is not exceptional this year but MSU never really stood a chance in this game. LSU loses to Arkansas showing that while they are a tough team that can play up to any opposition they aren't a very good team. A&M loses again to a Mizzou team that has not excited anyone all year. Auburn, Auburn gets fucking pasted.

As for MSU "forgetting" they were the #1 team.

It was on the road against opposition who just has better players top to bottom than anyone else in the country. They just have bigger stronger guys at every position and it takes a special team playing their good game to beat them if they aren't playing like shit as they have several times this season (@Ole Miss, @Arkansas & @LSU). Alabama's recruiting is ludicrous and you could see it on display that game in the size disparity on every pass and how they have linemen with the physical tools to blow up any block along both lines.

Prep yourselves for the two SEC teams bandwagon, its coming. Bet they drop MSU to #4 on Tuesday.

#1 Alabama
#2 FSU
#3 Oregon
#4 MSU
#5 TCU
#6 Baylor
#7 Ohio State
#8 Ole Miss (gotta move them up so that the MSU > Ole Miss win looks good)

Reminder that MSU's 2nd SEC berth resume's big wins are over LSU and Auburn who lost to a dog and got fucking blown off the field today. But they'll hype the shit out of the Ole Miss game even though Ole Miss is only a thing because they beat A&M before they were exposed and they willed out a win over Alabama (which is a hell of a feat no doubt). Those two teams that didn't look at that great today both got wins over Ole Miss.

A 1-loss MSU that is second fiddle to Alabama has beaten:
-@LSU
-Auburn
-@Ole Miss in a rivalry final week elimination game.

Their only loss is to playoff lock Alabama away.

They go into playoffs on a 2-game winstreak.

But in the interim Sparty lost to Ohio State, TCU barely got by Kansas, ASU lost to Oregon State (wtf @ that game, I turned it off bc it looked like ASU had figured things out) and ND shit the bed. So yeah MSU has had plenty of other dominoes fall their way.

I still take basically any P12 champ and Baylor/TCU over 1-loss MSU.

How Playoffs Should Be:
Undefeated FSU
SEC Champ
Any P12 champ except I guess USC (yes including Arizona, UCLA or ASU)
B12 1-loss (TCU or Baylor if either can make it)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 04:08:12 AM by Hoax »

-William Gibson
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #155 on: November 16, 2014, 07:54:24 AM

I think if MSU played that game again, but without their stupid brain fart first half, they win. They dominated the second half 17-6. It was just too late, and Prescott threw 3 picks. You can't do that.

As for two teams in the SEC, yeah it's setting up that way now with all the losses. Arizona State losing, TCU looking awful against a terrible Kansas team (seriously TCU was favored by 28.5 points). Ohio State kept turning the ball over all day against the Gophers. Georgia blew the doors off Auburn. Arizona had all they could handle with a shitty Washington ton team. LSU couldn't function on the road against Arkansas after getting smashed up by Alabama. Nebraska got absolutely embarrassed by Wisconsin in their only real test of the season so far. Notre Dame, LULZ Northwestern in OT? Utah over Stanford who is now officially a hot mess. Georgia Tech showing Clemson is still a complete fraud. Duke getting upset by a terrible Virginia Tech team (Ohio state knows how that feels). And ranked A&M getting shown the door at home by Missouri, which hurt my Dawgs since we need a Mizzou loss.

It was a fucking bloodbath in the top 25. Unreal stuff. As for the SEC not being exceptional?  Ohhhhh, I see. Okay who's the better conference this year? I mean who doesn't have some major warts. I get you don't like the SEC thing, but I don't think you'll find many people who make these decisions that say the SEC isn't top tier right now.

I still don't think that Auburn game is going to be easy for Alabama. It just never is, no matter how bad Auburn looked against Georgia on the road.

I think Ohio State gets in if the dominoes keep falling. The committee is begging for a reason to take FSU out, even if they lose in a championship game. Oregon is probably a lock at this point despite the Arizona loss. Alabama is a lock if they win out. I don't think Mississippi State is in unless they win against Ole Miss. I honestly think the committee doesn't want to put in Baylor or TCU at this point, given what's happening in that conference. Baylor's best wins are TCU and OU, and both teams struggled badly with terrible competition this week.

Ohio State needs MSU to lose or FSU to lose. Then they need Baylor to lose to Kansas State. I think they'd leapfrong TCU given where TCU's wins have finished the year. The OU, Ok State, and WVU wins suddenly don't look that impressive at all, and the Baylor loss looks bad if Baylor has two losses.

Auburn's out now, thank god. Ole Miss is out. Georgia is still in the discussion but they would have to beat Alabama in a title game and have MSU fall to Ole Miss.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #156 on: November 16, 2014, 11:44:07 AM

This whole season has been competitive. I hope it stays like this and we are done with the 4-6 undefeated teams at the end of the season. Hell at this rate, there will be a team or two in the playoffs with 2 losses.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #157 on: November 19, 2014, 09:31:49 AM

IT'S HAPPENING HOAX, TIME TO PANIC! SEC BIAS! TWO TEAMS IN THE TOP 4 WITH LOSSES AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

why so serious?

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #158 on: November 19, 2014, 10:33:56 AM

The clown face is appropriate for your clowny ass post I'll give you that. No shit its happening, I've been saying they would put 2 SEC teams in if they have two 1-loss SEC teams for two weeks.

-William Gibson
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #159 on: November 19, 2014, 06:19:34 PM

When we get done with this, if you can say that the two SEC teams honestly screwed over a team, I'll be open to it.

There's still a lot of key games left, thus the face. This shit will work itself out.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #160 on: November 19, 2014, 06:22:52 PM

I dunno, if picking a consensus #1 team was always too hard, how much harder is picking a consensus #4 going to be? I think there's always going to be a lot of whining and trauma about this unless they have a playoff big enough that you couldn't expect any of the teams on the bubble to really make it to the final anyway. Like where you're fighting over should your team be a 12 seed in the NCAA basketball tournament. And I don't see how you can do a tournament that big in college football. Too many injuries, too much time taken up, etc.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #161 on: November 19, 2014, 08:20:55 PM

I think at 8, it's perfect. You do champion auto-bids so no conference gets left out in the big 5, and the rest you seed with the committee at large.

Four is always going to be dumb because at minimum you're leaving a conference out. At least one group is bound to be pissed every year by nature.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #162 on: November 20, 2014, 09:11:06 AM

Just another side note, I think when we get done with this season, it will be seen as a success for the playoff, but when history views it I think this will be seen as a shitty football year.

There's no really huge names to speak of outside of Jameis Winston. The teams are, well to say even the "best" teams are flawed is being charitable. FSU looks like they are barely hanging on against ACC crap, Alabama has major offensive issues that only seem to show up against decent defenses, Oregon is giving up 32 points a game on the road and they lost to Arizona at home, MS State failed one of it's three major tests this year by losing to Alabama in an embarrassing fashion, TCU is hot garbage defensively on the road and should already have two losses, but they lucked out, Baylor lost a terrible game to West Virginia and their only real win is TCU unless you count a 3 loss OU team that is wildly overrated for beating nobody, Ohio State has probably the worst home loss in college football to a team that may not get to a bowl game, Ole Miss's claim to fame is beating Alabama and that's about it, Georgia has two of the worst losses in the SEC of any contender in addition to a shitty QB that can't throw and a RB who got suspended and now DL'd for the rest of the year, UCLA has two losses in their house and a defense that looks like a sieve unless they are playing Arizona, and Michigan State has literally lost every big game they've had except Nebraska who turned out to be the most overrated team in the Big 10 after Wisconsin beat their asses into oblivion.

Who is the national champion out of this mess? Can we crown nobody and just declare that this season sucks and is a down year after all the stars graduated the year before or got injured? Seriously, the Heisman is a joke this season. It's basically one guy and then a bunch of okay-but-maybes. Hell I can actually make a case for Nick Chubb, and he's barely played half the snaps if that at UGA. That's how weak this year is.

I'll put this up against 2007 as the worst year in college football in a decade. The year that LSU won the national title after losing to both Kentucky and Arkansas. They did it by drubbing a bad Ohio State team that lost to unranked Illinois and beat nobody higher than 23 in the polls. Garbage year. This may trump it. Also Tebow won the Heisman which shows you how dumb it was.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 09:13:16 AM by Paelos »

Rasix

Reply #163 on: November 22, 2014, 06:31:00 PM

I really hope Ab didn't go to that game.  That was miserable on all fronts from the Utes.

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #164 on: November 22, 2014, 06:49:28 PM

I can't say it ultimately affected the outcome of the game, but that is the worst refereeing I can remember seeing in a Cal game.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: November 22, 2014, 06:51:35 PM

I really hope Ab didn't go to that game.  That was miserable on all fronts from the Utes.

Oh I was there. On top of it all I slipped standing up one time on the wet concrete and rammed my toe into the seat in front of me with my full body weight behind it (and that is alot). My big toe looks like it went 12 rounds with Ali.  

Congrats on making us look absolutely terrible.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 11:22:51 PM by Abagadro »

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: November 22, 2014, 11:23:26 PM

I can't say it ultimately affected the outcome of the game, but that is the worst refereeing I can remember seeing in a Cal game.

Apparently you can only hold if you are wearing red (we had shitty refs too).

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #167 on: November 23, 2014, 11:24:11 AM

Fucking Tennessee can't do us any favors. Missouri is going to be the worst SEC representative in the Championship game in years if they beat Arkansas. Whoever plays them will win by 30.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #168 on: November 26, 2014, 08:00:51 AM

These rankings are getting dumber and dumber. FSU is still in there, and I don't think they are remotely competent anymore. TCU is outside, and they should be in. Alabama is at the top which blows my mind since they've beaten Mississippi State? And, a whole bunch of unranked teams. I don't think they are that good. I still think Mississippi State is a better team on a neutral field.

Baylor is a joke and I hope they don't get in. Yes, they beat TCU in a complete barnburner. The rest of their schedule is ass so far. They get K State, and I hope they get beat. I'd actually put TCU in as it stands right now.

Ohio State probably gets in now even though their best win is Michigan State, who has proven at this point they were overrated as they've lost every ranked challenge except Nebraska.

On the eye test, I think all these teams suck. If I'm ranking them from least shitty who should be in right now, it's

1 - Oregon
2 - TCU
3 - MS State
4 - Ohio State

There's nobody who would do it that way though because it would leave Alabama and FSU out, even though I'm almost certain those teams are going to get upset in the playoff by whoever they faced.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #169 on: November 26, 2014, 09:02:56 AM

You can't keep an undefeated FSU out.

Their schedule is not awful and almost every undefeated team gets there with some lucky breaks and fluky bounces and comebacks against mediocre teams.

But we reward winning that's how it works.

Undefeated ACC Champion FSU is my #1 lock playoff spot.
SEC Champion 1-loss Alabama is my #2 lock playoff spot.
P12 Champion 1-loss Oregon is my #3 lock playoff spot.

From there it all starts to muddle depending on who wins where and by how much and how dominant did they look. But I'm highly opposed to MSU jumping a quality P12 (if someone upsets Oregon) or B12 rep. And if Ohio State handles Michigan and then handles Wisconsin in a title game I think they have earned the right ahead of MSU as well.

You can hate on Alabama all you want but they have insane lines on both side of the ball. Just in the size/speed/wingspan departments every play any one of their lineman can just take over the play. That's what happened to MSU so many of their running plays were just devoured by those guys because they are so big strong and fast. And its like that all over their roster. They just have the biggest players.

Yes Alabama is not great this year, they aren't a great team but they are like a Calapari UK team, they aren't the best team but they are the best players and even in football that means something when the gap is this big between alabama and everyone else.

I remember the CBS dicksuckers saying that Alabama has 2 players who play any kind of minutes that aren't 4 star or higher recruits on both sides of the ball. MSU had two 4-star recruits on their entire team. Because the rest of the top teams are pretty far from defensive powerhouses (except FSU which seems deeply flawed and plays worse every week) this is still Alabama's title to lose.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 09:05:51 AM by Hoax »

-William Gibson
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #170 on: November 26, 2014, 09:17:30 AM

Alabama is awful offensively against any team with a pulse. Their biggest blowouts are against Florida Atlantic, Southern Miss, Florida, Western Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas A&M. Those teams blow.

They average about 22 points against everyone else. MS State, Ole Miss, Arkansas, LSU, and West Virginia. Those are teams with a pulse. Only one of them I'd call "elite" and that team MS State had it's worst QB game of the year to lose.

Make no mistake, Auburn can beat this team. Nobody will believe it because Auburn's defense is awful, but their defense was just as bad last year. I think Auburn can win the game and knock Alabama out in a shootout. And everyone will act shocked because they've forgotten how good this Auburn offense can be against a slower, bigger defensive personnel.

I think FSU can lose too. I wouldn't be shocked if Florida gives them fits with their defense. I just don't know if Florida can score enough. However, if they can beat Georgia, they can beat FSU.

Rasix

Reply #171 on: November 28, 2014, 07:01:23 PM

Hell, I'll take a 10 win season, but the potential here is delicious.

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #172 on: November 30, 2014, 06:11:12 AM

When we get done with this, if you can say that the two SEC teams honestly screwed over a team, I'll be open to it.

There's still a lot of key games left, thus the face. This shit will work itself out.

Well Hoax, are you done whining yet? This stuff works itself out.

Sucks about JT tho. I never want to see that.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #173 on: December 06, 2014, 08:53:55 AM

That didn't go well for AZ the second time round.

Rasix

Reply #174 on: December 06, 2014, 08:05:40 PM

Our offense has been putrid since the USC game.  We only win if Nick Wilson gets going and the defense can get some takeaways, because Anu Solomon hasn't done shit since he sprained his arch. I'm not sure he's going to be a long term solution at this point, even though he had a spectacular season for a freshman.

Oregon, outside of a few red zone issues, played just about flawlessly.  Mariota really played well.

I expected this to be honest.  It would have taken a lot to get out of that game with a win.  I WAS STILL HOPING.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2014 College Football  
Jump to: