Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:21:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Fallout 4 Post-Release Bullshit 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fallout 4 Post-Release Bullshit  (Read 243913 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

on: November 21, 2013, 01:09:32 AM

This appeared.

http://www.thesurvivor2299.com/

And to get more info you could probably read this.

The mystery continues on the is-it/isn’t-it teaser site for an apparent Fallout 4 announcement, with the addition of a new morse code signal. This was spotted (and already decoded) by the sharp-eyed people on the Fallout subreddit.

According to their deductions, the message says “CQ CQ CQ DE OZ PSE AS.” Happily, this isn’t just meaningless gibberish, and means (roughly) “Calling Any Station, Calling Any Station, Calling Any Station, This is/From OZ (Oscar Zulu), Please Wait.” This may or may not relate to the ‘Oscar Zulu’ station present in Fallout 3.

Whether this adds more or less credence to the idea that this site is counting down to a Fallout 4 reveal is open to debate. A Fallout 3 reference might add weight to the theory that Bethesda will be developing this one (as the most recent Bethesda Fallout project was 3,) or it may suggest that there’s nothing much behind this except an impish mind hoping to mess with Fallout fans.

A Vault-Tec logo has appeared on the countdown too, which you’d imagine would make Bethesda a bit upset if the site was not legitimate.

Bethesda has refused to comment on the rumours, which does mark a slight change from their usual approach of flat-out denying Fallout 4 stories. However, they also obfuscated the information around Arkane working on Prey 2, so who knows. Over the weekend, it emerged that Fallout 4 had been trademarked in Europe.

Edit by Trippy: updating title
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 02:08:24 PM by Trippy »

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 01:51:43 AM

My, my.
Will we get to blow up a city like Megaton again?
Or are we going to meet vampires in the wasteland?
I can't wait.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 03:15:25 AM

I'll get more excited if it:

a. Is using an engine that isn't the same fork of Gambryo that they've been Frankensteining  since 1999
b. Doesn't have a horrible consolized UI
c. Is actually a good Fallout game* this time, instead of being a slavish tone-deaf aping of Fallout themes in a setting that actively works to break your suspension of disbelief

*As opposed to being a good game, but a bad Fallout game.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 03:18:06 AM by koro »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 03:23:28 AM

For the "real" Fallout feeling I am super happy with what Wasteland 2 seems to be.

For everything else, Fallout 3 scratched so many itches I can't even count them. I know they shouldn't really be compared but _to me_ it was more enjoyable than Skyrim by a million miles, and they are both fantastic games.

So all in all I am really excited about this. Many ways to fuck it up, but considering how much I loved Fallout 3 (after loving Fallout 2, and 1, and Wasteland despite the bvious differences) and New Vegas, I can't help but be very excited about this.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 03:33:31 AM

So it's probably the Fallout 3 team not the Fallout: New Vegas team? Them I'm already less enthusiastic about a Fallout 4. Fallout 3 felt more like a mimicking of Fallout by a teak that didn't realy 'get it' even though it was a great game, it just wasn't a great Fallout game.

I also second Koro's sentiment. Skyrim is a great game but the engine feels awfully dated and was always the source of most of the gamebreaking bugs that plagued the early releases of all Elder Scrolls and all Fallout games.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 03:45:40 AM

I'm excited about Fallout and if it isn't a trainwreck on a monumental scale I'll probably get it as soon as it is released (and I might even get the collector's edition if it has something interesting like a lunchbox or a bobblehead Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? )

which doesn't mean that I'm not hoping for some significant improvements compared to FO3 and Skyrim
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 03:45:48 AM

Skyrim is a great game but the engine feels awfully dated and was always the source of most of the gamebreaking bugs that plagued the early releases of all Elder Scrolls and all Fallout games.

That's weird. Can't comment on bugs as I tend to ignore them and not care unless they are gamebreaking (and if there were any I didn't meet 'em neither in Fallout 3 nor in Skyrim), but I always appreciated the engine. Maybe my standards have gotten very low *shrug*

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 04:17:22 AM

I've played both FO:3 and FO:NV for more hours than I care to admit.

FO:3 had severe bugs that could lead to save game corruption and meant that you couldn't start/couldn't complete certain quests. Even with the last patch they issued (1.18 or an even higher number) the game manages to lock up my 360 every few hours and I need to power cycle it.

FO:NV was in a similar state at release and Skyrim taxed the engine so much that they can't even release one of the DLC modules on the PS3 because they ran out of resources. Don't get me started on the buggy mess games like Daggerfall or Oblivion were or still are. I've recently revisted FO:NV and tried Skyrim but compared to some other open-world games even Skyrim feels clunky and dated to me even though the graphics are good. The interface and controls just feel like it's a decade old game (which it is at its core).

Bethesda basically uses the same engine since 1998 and they've modified it and added features to it so many times over the years that it has become a constant source of trouble for them. A fact they are pretty much admitting themselves. It's just that most other types of 3D engine are designed for 3rd or 1st person shooters where you have a lot less objects and characters you need to handle and need to manage much less state. Unreal can manage about 50 object at a time for example.

Just imagine what a new Fallout would be like if it could use the engine of GTA 5 on the next gen consoles or the PC.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 04:45:15 AM

There is a lot of talk that this might be a hoax site so have, at most, cautious optimism.

http://newfallout.com/is-the-survivor-2299-fake/
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 05:08:35 AM

I'm happy to give Bethseda abunch of trust after Skyrim, which I enjoyed more than Fallout 3 (loved both games, Skyrim just felt richer and more expansive). If they do make a Fallout 4 along the same lines and scale I can get behind that eagerly.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 05:21:38 AM

Even with the last patch they issued (1.18 or an even higher number) the game manages to lock up my 360 every few hours

on the PS3 because they ran out of resources.

why so serious?

More seriously, I didn't know and I am sorry for that. It would drive me nuts. But even with all the console talking in the other threads, to me these games are just PC native and I would never consider getting them on a console. It's like asking for trouble. But that, of course, doesn't justify poor programming.

Lesson learned? Get Fallout 4 on the PC, treat it like a Windows exclusive, and things should be fine.

I also agree the interface is bad in both those games, but I commented because you mentioned the dated engine. I hated the interface, but loved the engine.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 05:24:26 AM

There is a lot of talk that this might be a hoax site so have, at most, cautious optimism.

http://newfallout.com/is-the-survivor-2299-fake/

Oh well, straight to the Den if it's true.

Unless... Fallout 4 takes place in Poland.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 07:09:53 AM

Lesson learned? Get Fallout 4 on the PC, treat it like a Windows exclusive, and things should be fine.

I also agree the interface is bad in both those games, but I commented because you mentioned the dated engine. I hated the interface, but loved the engine.

I probably will play the next Fallout on a PC just because the mod community is so prolific. With current mods Fallout or Skyrim look much better than they originally did.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 07:28:46 AM

I really don't get the hate on FO3, FO NV or Skyrim. I loved them all as-is and I love that the company remains friendly to modding.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 07:40:17 AM

Skip console releases, wait for LoversLab mods, steam sales on xmas 30% off 2014, profit.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 08:03:16 AM

The Fallout series is my favourite ever!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 08:54:45 AM

For some reason or another I didn't like the combat on the Fallout stuff.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 09:06:50 AM

"Calling any station, please wait?"  WTF would be the point of such a transmission?  You call any station to relay immediate information, such as a request for help, not to put them on hold. 

It's like "Hello, anybody?  Anybody?  Please anybody answer me?"
"Yeah?  What's up?"
"Please hold."
"WTF?"
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 09:27:33 AM

I really don't get the hate on FO3, FO NV or Skyrim. I loved them all as-is and I love that the company remains friendly to modding.

I don't see much hate for NV anywhere really. Skyrim is mostly disliked by people who don't enjoy the sandbox style. And it's true that the main storyline (and things such as party interaction) aren't the strong point of the game.

Even Fallout 3 isn't terrible, more "meh". Being number 3 obviously people compared it 1+2 which highlighted the flaws.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 01:06:39 PM

So it's probably the Fallout 3 team not the Fallout: New Vegas team? Them I'm already less enthusiastic about a Fallout 4. Fallout 3 felt more like a mimicking of Fallout by a teak that didn't realy 'get it' even though it was a great game, it just wasn't a great Fallout game.
I'm quite the opposite.  Fallout 3 >>> New Vegas for that nostalgia feel to me.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 05:45:18 PM

I'm quite the opposite.  Fallout 3 >>> New Vegas for that nostalgia feel to me.

Yeah, I can see why people prefer the whimsical world of DC Wasteland to the serious business of Vegas (Don't you just get tired of those courier jobs? Seriously!)
Who can forget the journeys that took them to a crater of an unexploded bombs, a house in the middle of nowhere with cannibal family, and a small colony made up of children with deathclaws lurking beneath the complex?

Vegas had very little memorable places in Vanilla, there's this stupid vault where there's election posters that doesn't seem to lead anywhere. When I nearly gave up I found a key and all it did was unlock a damn room with a projector, saying congrats! You found this room! And a frickin' killer bots came out of the walls to kill me. Also? No loot. What a shit dungeon design by Obsidian.

Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 10:14:08 PM

The Fallout lore just entrances me. I've spent whole days just on the wikia reading about the different vaults and the crazy lore around it. It's all got this crazy psychological fuckupedness bent on it. Looking forward to more.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 02:52:00 AM

bethesda games since Fo3( fo:nv, skyrim) -l are all amazing games. However the engine is really really dated, I hope to god next bethesda RPG uses a radically improved game engine and not next evolutional iteration of netimmerse/gamebryo/whateveritsnamenow. it is  the weakest point of their games
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 04:39:17 AM

Bethesda doesn't have good enough programmers do so.

I was secretly having this nerd fantasy that when Zenimax aquired Id that they'd enslave John Carmack to write an engine and toolset for Bethesda games.

Instead they had him write an engine designed for supercomputers from the future and used it on Rage which sold like 5 copies.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 06:31:25 AM

Errr, didn't John Carmack demo Idtech 5 (Rage engine) way before the Zinemax acquisition of ID?
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 06:48:00 AM

RAGE was a light brown turd in a light brown bag, but yeah, that was pretty much pre-Bethsoft.

And it did induce RAGE, for spending hard earned lucre on said shit.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 03:19:53 PM

I'm a blasphemer but never enjoyed FO1 or 2.  The things people hated about 3 for "not following Fallout" were the things I really enjoyed.  The FPS V.A.T.S. system; being first-person and not being able to control my follower.  All plusses for me that let me get into the story more than the prior ones. 

Plus, being FPS I didn't suck QUITE as hard at the start because I didn't know the "proper" way to build a FO character.  All my FA2 attempts ended in unwinnable fights in the first town.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 03:23:17 PM

I Think 2 was great for its time. I thought 3 was superior though, but I am partial to shooters. They nailed things like setting and lore between the two, so I have no complaints. I found New Vegas....off somehow. Still a good game though.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 22, 2013, 04:15:44 PM

IMO 2 isn't that great, I agree with the criticism from the FO1 guy, forgethisname, who thought it took the quirky too far.

FO3 is a excellent game, and is NV - though both aren't exactly great in the core story.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 22, 2013, 04:25:18 PM

In any case, I think Bethesda will want to insert something between ES-Online and TES7:NextProvince, so Fallout 4 seems likely.
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 22, 2013, 08:26:06 PM

To me, FO1 was great -- it had it's own tone and sensibility that just clicked for me.  FO2 was more of the same, but they went too far with the pop culture references and 4th-wall breaking.  FO3 felt like a really excellent Oblivion mod made by serious fans who loved the material, but just couldn't get the feel quite right.  FO:NV recaptured that Fallout vibe.

If I had to describe the "fallout vibe", I guess it would be a pervading feeling of "oh god, we are so screwed" but without it being bleak.  I guess that's where FO3 fell down for me.  They had all the 50's tech, and SPECIAL, and other surface stuff, but the tone was just unremittingly grim.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 22, 2013, 08:32:30 PM

FO3s problem was it felt like the world had only recently stopped, not stopped a fair while ago and started again. There wasn't enough life, grim or otherwise, around. Not enough emphasis on the Post part of post-apocalyptic.

NV was almost perfect, except the main storyline shitted me. Neary everyone goes full retard in video game denoumonts. They have no conception that you can built a story without having to constantly go for more more more.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 24, 2013, 07:29:37 AM

NV>>>>>FO3.  New Vegas was tremendous.  Great setting, great factions and mostly great characters.  Yes-Man was awesome and I personally really liked the story.  Go NCR if you want to be a good guy, go Legion if you want to be a bad guy...or take over New Vegas and become your own faction!  FO3 had some great spots too, but I never finished it, had three game-ending crashes.  I did like Three Dog and the mysterious man at Megaton.  Oh and the Lincoln Repeater!  God that gun was love.

Since I didn't play the first two, I was also into the lore.  I hope a new one is more NV than FO3.

Plus that great retro soundtrack.  Got-DAMN Dean Martin was the man!  All this cheerful music playing over a nuclear wasteland.  Great contrast.  Got me to watch the original 'Ocean's Eleven' with Sinatra, et al. 
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #33 on: November 24, 2013, 11:34:11 AM

NV was probably one of my favourite games ever.  I want them to make a new one and I want to love it.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #34 on: November 24, 2013, 01:34:58 PM

So, is this truly a hoax or not? A friend who isn't usually a total rube has posted other stuff on Facebook that seems plausible.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Fallout 4 Post-Release Bullshit  
Jump to: